HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good Restaurant

Old
08-05-2009, 05:47 PM
mooseisloose11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Exactly I was gonna use California as a example just because that is when I noticed it. But ya the people there take their serving jobs seriously, they know they have to work for their tip, they don't just expect it here like some broad with her **** hanging out of her shirt.
Same here, we were is Vegas and the wife wanted a pretzel while shopping. This guy looked like a thug, but went out of his way to over-deliver, told us wait so we could have a fresh one etc... This guy genuinely liked his job and was sincere- I was almost shocked, its a pretzel!!??

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:05 PM
fancy dan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Humans are carnivores.
link?

fancy dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Temaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfansixtynine View Post
how do you like your eggs?
hardboiled

Temaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:41 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Blue Plate Diner on 104 st. Great food and service.
http://www.blueplatediner.ca/
He's taking his mom out for her birthday, not trying to **** her!

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:59 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
He's taking his mom out for her birthday, not trying to **** her!
i fail to see how taking someone to the blue plate diner would get you laid

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 07:29 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
i fail to see how taking someone to the blue plate diner would get you laid
Hahaha, you're right. I was thinking of the Blue Pear.

Old
08-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleP View Post
I refuse to eat at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

They serve USDA instead of Alberta beef.

I can't get behind that.
I am surprised to here this, though being an American franchise it makes sense. Very good steaks though, despite being a little pricey for what you get. My wife and I took a colleague there at Christmas when we were in town. It was a nice evening with a very good meal.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Hairball

Quote:
Hahaha, you're right. I was thinking of the Blue Pear.
Blue Pear has some fantastic local jazz musicians that play there.

Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Some of my favourite restaurants (and IMO, some of the best in the city):

The Blue Willow
Picolino
Pazzo Pazzo
Calgary Trail Noodle House
Than Sun
The Keg
Mikado
Fiore
Ric's Grill

and that Mediterranean district of restaurants right downtown by Scotiabank Place with the cobblestones, Sherlock Holmes pub is right down there as well.

They have a ton of good Lebanese, Greek, Bulgarian and Turkish stuff down there and it's all great I highly suggest people go check it out.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:56 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
The Sawmill used to be one of the better restaurants in town, but in the last 2-3 years, I think it's gone downhill badly. The service and food is now 2nd rate or worse, IMO. Will not go back to the original one on Calgary Trail for love or money after 2 horrific experiences. My buddy, who's family was a long time patron there, suffered the same fates, and is of the same opinion.
I agree....Sawmill has really dropped off.
In addition to that if you want a very average dining experience then Moxies is the place to go. Actually, outside of Earls (and possibly Joey's), I don't know of any chain restaurants that offer anything other than average fare. I have eaten at the Blue Plate for breakfast and it was very forgettable...very bland. Maybe their Dinner service is better but I am skeptical.

For something a lttle more memorable I would Recommend one of the following...Red Ox, Culina (Highlands or Mill Creek) or Sabor Divino. Another option is Flavours on Whyte.
All very good IMO and most of the ingredients are purchased locally which is something very different from most chain restaurants.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Rin

All I read was the title, I nominate Mucho Burrito.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:30 AM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
All I read was the title, I nominate Mucho Burrito.
Yep.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:10 PM
secretweapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
Avoid meat altogether, it just isn't good for your stomach in the long run...stick to seafood, fresh water fish and veggies with fruits for deserts.

I think this explains it all.

secretweapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post
Seafood contains high concentrations of heavy metals, I would stay away from it.

Most vegetables and fruit are sprayed with pestecides, I never touch them.

And fresh water has all kinds of bacteria growing in it, totally gross.
Burger lovers beware: People who eat red meat every day have a higher risk of dying over a 10-year period -- mostly because of cardiovascular disease or cancer --than their peers who eat less red or processed meat, according to a new study of about half a million people.

Over a 10-year period, people who ate the most red meat every day (about 62.5 grams per 1,000 calories per day, equivalent to a quarter-pound burger or small steak per day) had about a 30 percent greater risk of dying compared with those who consumed the least amount of red meat (a median of 9.8 grams per 1,000 calories per day). The excess mortality was mostly the result of cardiovascular disease and cancer

organic vegetables....

You think red meat doesn't have bacteria?

Most fish are good to eat and good for you—high in protein and other nutrients, and low in fat. Eat fish that are low in Mercury for example;

Bluegill Sunfish
Farm-raised catfish
Farm-raised crayfish
Farm-raised trout
Tilapia
Trout

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:28 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Surprised no one' s mentioned Culina or Culina Highlands, both great places to eat with pretty decent wine lists.

You'll have to make a reservation though, they're both pretty small in terms of capacity.

I think the Alberta beef vs. USDA beef issue is that American cattle are "corn fed", making the steak taste sweeter. Haven't done a taste test on this yet, anyone tried?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Temaire

Does anyone know of a good buffet restaurant here in Edmonton?

Temaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
Quote:
Burger lovers beware: People who eat red meat every day have a higher risk of dying over a 10-year period -- mostly because of cardiovascular disease or cancer --than their peers who eat less red or processed meat, according to a new study of about half a million people.

Over a 10-year period, people who ate the most red meat every day (about 62.5 grams per 1,000 calories per day, equivalent to a quarter-pound burger or small steak per day) had about a 30 percent greater risk of dying compared with those who consumed the least amount of red meat (a median of 9.8 grams per 1,000 calories per day). The excess mortality was mostly the result of cardiovascular disease and cancer

organic vegetables....

Most fish are good to eat and good for you—high in protein and other nutrients, and low in fat. Eat fish that are low in Mercury for example;

Bluegill Sunfish
Farm-raised catfish
Farm-raised crayfish
Farm-raised trout
Tilapia
Trout
So if I stop eating red meat I will never die? I'm in!

But seriously, what do you define "a greater risk of dying". Who conducted this study, and did people actually die, and how do they prove it was from red meat? Could it not be their eating habbits in general beyond red meat as well? Example being, with a burger you have fries and coke, "beige foods" so to speak. And if a person dies from cancer, how can you relate their cancer to red meat consumption? Are they smokers, exposed to anything at work, etc.? You can do a lot of things to sway the statistics. I know that red meat isn't good for you so to speak, but I question that it's THAT bad for you, considering we have been consuming it for thousands of years.

Last edited by Teddy Peckman: 08-07-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattsSSV View Post
One of my favorite restaurants in Edmonton is La Boheme. Great french cuisine.

http://www.laboheme.ca/
La Boheme has an amazing brunch, our family has been going there for YEARS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTide View Post
Il Forno Ristorante in the west end is a nice little italian eatery with reasonable prices and good food. My wife and I frequent it often and have never had a bad meal or bad service. I recommend it to many and have always heard positive feeedback.
Il Forno is also amazing, the new owner (Anna) had a bit of a rough start getting the place up to par again but it's awesome now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Unfortunately no one is forcing them to be working that job. Do your job well and be rewarded for it. The ******** of just giving someone money who didn't do anything extra to make the experience at the restaurant any better than McDonalds doesn't deserve anything.

That is problem with a lot of waitrersses/ waiters they expect to get a tip no matter what. The fact that a lot of people in society are stimulated to tip regardless is ****ed at best.
As a former server I agree with that completely If I'm not getting good service I'm not tipping, I don't care how many dirty looks the server gives me.

Quote:

organic vegetables....

Bluegill Sunfish
Farm-raised catfish
Farm-raised crayfish
Farm-raised trout
Tilapia
Trout
Just a heads up... according to new studies almost EVERYTHING is more likely to give you cancer/give you aids/give you xxx disease/take years off your life.

I wonder how some people managed their longevity without all these studies on what's good and bad for you...

(Almost) everything in moderation, friend, and you'll be ok

I'll throw in Packrat Louie's on Whyte as well.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:

organic vegetables....

Bluegill Sunfish
Farm-raised catfish
Farm-raised crayfish
Farm-raised trout
Tilapia
Trout
There's risk that comes with every kind of meat. Poultry has a higher risk of carrying disease, Seafood tends to be pretty high in sodium and can contain pollutants, and most red meat tends to be high in fat.

The best option is to mix it up and not eat the same type every day.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 05:07 PM
MerryJ99

La Ronde is nice to, great meals and if you go at the right time a beautiful view of the city, La Boheme is really nice, if you ever get a chance to stay there it is supposed to be just awesome, great food and great service, plus if you appreciate old buildings this is a place to go, it is supposed to be haunted...(I would love to go there and stay for my anniversary ...hint hint if my Hubby is reading this!)

Lazia has pretty good food, Rics grill, CHOP, and the Hardware Grill are all really good places to eat as well.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 05:24 PM
hfboardsuser

Anyone been to Characters? How is it?

Old
08-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Pigsofa

Quote:
Anyone been to Characters? How is it?
Characters is an experience. Its not a knock you off your feet, but that is their goal. They are trying to give you the top of the line service. The food is excelent and the wine menu matches. The meals themselves are your high quality small portion meals.

I would suggest the smore's for desert, they bring you ingredients and fire.

Pigsofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Ragss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temaire View Post
Does anyone know of a good buffet restaurant here in Edmonton?

Haven't been to many around here, but Bonanza was a good, quality buffet last time I was there a year or two ago. Royal Forks is a favourite hangover buffet of my friends, but its a dump.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Stoneman89

I forgot to mention an old favourite - Bistro Praha - which seemed to spawn multiple copycats around the city. You'll hear classical music from the speakers most times, and the painting on the back of the restaurant wall is impressive. If you're there, try the schnitzel and apple strudel. You will be stuffed, satisfied and amazed. It's like walking into an authentic European bistro.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 03:18 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Surprised no one' s mentioned Culina or Culina Highlands, both great places to eat with pretty decent wine lists.
Look up 5 posts.

Quote:
You'll have to make a reservation though, they're both pretty small in terms of capacity.

I think the Alberta beef vs. USDA beef issue is that American cattle are "corn fed", making the steak taste sweeter. Haven't done a taste test on this yet, anyone tried?
I have tried corn fed beef and it does have a different taste.
For me Grass fed beef tastes the best (its also the best for you...unlike grain fed beef it is high in Omega 3) , unfortunately it is difficult to get beef that has never been fed grain. Grain fed beef is very high in Omega 6 which consequently causes inflammation.
Probably the main reason why red meat gets a bad rap. Its not the red meat thats the problem..its the quality of the meat thats the issue and it all goes back to what the cattle are eating.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote