HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Top-10 Prospects (as voted by us)

Old
08-07-2009, 02:47 AM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Kings Top-10 Prospects (as voted by us)

The List

1) Thomas Hickey [D Seattle Thunderbirds WHL] 54.74%
2) Jonathan Bernier [G Manchester Monarchs AHL] 49.21%
3) Brayden Schenn [C Brandon Wheatkings WHL] 53.16%
4) Oscar Moller [C/RW Los Angeles Kings NHL] 77.22%
5) Vyacheslav Voinov [D Manchester Monarchs AHL] 53.73%
6) Colten Teubert [D Regina Pats WHL] 39.18% - 50.59%
7) Andrei Loktionov [C Windsor Spitfires OHL] 42.27% - 49.41%
8) Edward Purcell [RW Manchester Monarchs AHL/Los Angeles Kings NHL] 37.84% - 50.68%
9) Trevor Lewis [C Manchester Monarchs AHL] 41.89% - 49.32%
10) Davis Drewiske [D Los Angeles Kings NHL/Manchester Monarchs AHL] 27.8%

Honorable Mentions:

1) Martin Jones (received 22.22% of the last poll's vote)
2) Kyle Clifford (received 15.28%)
3) Jeff Zatkoff (received 13.89%)

Here's a brief recap of each thread

Top-10 Prospects #1

- Thomas Hickey won in a relative landslide, garnering 54.74% of the votes.

--------------------------------------------------------

Top-10 Prospects #2

- Initially, Brayden Schenn looked like the clear-cut winner. However, Jonathan Bernier picked up the pace and became the eventual winner with 49.21% of the votes.

Top-10 Prospects #3

Newly drafted Brayden Schenn wins with 53.16 % of the vote, but Moller is close with roughly 40% of the vote, both of them combining for a little less than 93% of the vote.

Top Prospects #4

Oscar Moller won in a Detroit Red Wings-esque sweep, winning with 77.22% share of the vote

Top Prospects #5

Suprisingly, Vyacheslav Voinov won in a decisive victory, with 53.73% of the vote

Top Prospects #6/7
- and Prospect Face-off

Colten Teubert and Loktionov battled off to the death for the right to be called LA's 6th best prospect. However, Colten Teubert won by the narrowest of margins

Top Prospects #8/9
- and Prospect Face-off

Teddy Purcell and Trevor Lewis waged an unrelenting war to earn their place as the eight best Kings' prospect. Going into a tie-braker, Lewis and Purcell tied, only for Lewis to pick up steam and break the tie. However, Purcell came back, and seized victory with the slim, slim margin of 1 vote, winning by a 50.68% margin

Top Prospects #10

Davis Drewiske recieved the plurality of votes with 27.8%. But since the voting was so split at this point, an exception was made to my standard rules of faceoff, thus, Drewiske has won the position of 10th best prospect.

Who was added:

1) Kyle Clifford
2) Jeff Zatkoff
3) Alec Martinez
4) Davis Drewiske
5) Justin Azevedo
6) Dwight King
7) Nicolas Deslauriers
8) Geordie Wudrick
9) Bud Holloway
10) Brandon Kozun

What do you think? Discuss

Last edited by LAX attack*: 08-07-2009 at 02:57 AM.
LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:08 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Thanks for doing it D8.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:13 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

yeah I enjoyed it. I wouldn't even mind going another 5.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:46 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Does anyone else find it sick that we have our 3rd and 4th best prospects the caliber of Schenn and Moller?

- R

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:37 AM
Tatsdzyuk
wet fish

GJ man, it was fun.

Tatsdzyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Capn Brown

A couple of comments.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post

Top Prospects #6/7
- and Prospect Face-off

Colten Teubert and Loktionov battled off to the death for the right to be called LA's 6th best prospect. However, Colten Teubert won by the narrowest of margins

1)
When I look back upon the poll, it looks as if Loktionov actually edged out Teubert for the win. Are you using a special "reverse math"?

2) Our opinions do not count. Invariably, somebody ALWAYS creates polls this time of year to determine the order of our prospects from best to worst. Heck, I think I actually did it one year.

In the end, however, know that Dave Rainer will eventually order the list on Hockeysfuture according to what Dave Rainer's beliefs are, not the beliefs of this board. If you didn't know that, now you do.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Captain Ron

Damn that Dave Rainer and his elitist ways.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
A couple of comments.........

1)
When I look back upon the poll, it looks as if Loktionov actually edged out Teubert for the win. Are you using a special "reverse math"?

2) Our opinions do not count. Invariably, somebody ALWAYS creates polls this time of year to determine the order of our prospects from best to worst. Heck, I think I actually did it one year.

In the end, however, know that Dave Rainer will eventually order the list on Hockeysfuture according to what Dave Rainer's beliefs are, not the beliefs of this board. If you didn't know that, now you do.
Teubert won but the poll hadn't closed when it was suppsed to and people kept voting for Loktionov.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:39 AM
dkhakh

i don't know much about kings prospects but i was reading this article about the coming world juniors and it discusses Brandon Kozun. I didn't know much about this guy so i looked at his stats.he had a monstrous last season for calgary hitmen (108pts) and is aiming for the top line for canada in coming WJ. So after reading i came to this topic and found out that this guy is not even among your top 10. so my question is are your other prospects that good or fans dun't know much about his guy.
like if he was a leafs or habs fan, we would have about hundred threads comparing him to the likes of hodgson, JT and others.

dkhakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhakh View Post
i don't know much about kings prospects but i was reading this article about the coming world juniors and it discusses Brandon Kozun. I didn't know much about this guy so i looked at his stats.he had a monstrous last season for calgary hitmen (108pts) and is aiming for the top line for canada in coming WJ. So after reading i came to this topic and found out that this guy is not even among your top 10. so my question is are your other prospects that good or fans dun't know much about his guy.
like if he was a leafs or habs fan, we would have about hundred threads comparing him to the likes of hodgson, JT and others.
Kozun could be better than Purcell. Trouble is, hardly anybody here has seen enough of Kozun to make that determination.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Ron

Quote:
The Kings have one of the best stable of prospects in the NHL. It is not because he has gone unnoticed.

Old
johnjm22

I think Moller is ranked too high, and Purcell too low.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Moller earned a NHL spot at the age of 19.....nobody else on the list can make that claim.

Old
08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
D8, you did a great job with this. Thanks for putting this together.

I think it's great that our stable is that strong that Kyle Clifford and Jeff Zatkoff don't make the top ten. We have some depth in this organization...finally.

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Johnny Utah

Kings still very weak at LW....And no legit scoring threat at any forward position.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:50 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
See now I almost completely agree with the list except that I would slot Moller in first and just bump Hickey, Bernier, Schenn all down one spot.

Purcell seems like he should be higher, but when I look at the list, I honestly think everyone in front of him will be better in the long run. I guess perhaps he should slot in at 4 or 5 perhaps, ahead of Voynov and Teubert and perhaps ahead of Schenn. No way he is ahead of Moller, Hickey, Bernier though in my mind.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kings still very weak at LW....And no legit scoring threat at any forward position.
LW is a hard position to fill.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:50 PM
LAX attack*

Another thing that we tend to do in evaluating prospects is to favor possible potential vs. safety as a prospect. If we had done the latter, we would consider Moller our #1, Purcell would be up there, and Teubert would be like 9th.

For example, Peter Harrold, when he was still a prospect, would reasonably have been considered a top-10 prospect due to being so safe by HF (because he was for the most part in the NHL). However, he would not crack our own top-10.

Interestingly enough, the Kings as an organization don't have too many guys that are huge reaches. No Parjaarvi's, no Kadri's, etc.

Another observation of mine was that we were pretty consistent as far as voting - for at least the first 5 player, we had a definite order which we were going by, and for the most part, the majority of people agreed. (Every prospect 1-5 won by at least a 49% margin

Also based on voting, we can look at 4 tiers of prospects we have

Hickey - Bernier - Schenn - Moller

Voinov

Teubert - Lewis - Purcell - Loktionov

Davis Drewiske - Martin Jones

I find it interesting that, based on the voting, Voinov is almost in a tier of his own - not one of the big 4, but above the next tier slightly. That is evidenced by his decisive victory in poll #5.

How many of us could say that Voinov is definetly better than Teubert? Because that's what our voting indicated.

Old
08-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Fripp

Quote:
He's tiny and was entirely skipped over in his first draft year. Skilled 19 and 20 year olds put up points in the CHL ... but I'd guess there was just something about his game that scouts felt wouldn't translate well. Time will tell.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Ollie Weeks

1 vote eh? I could have stopped the Purcell train cold...

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Brophy

I dont know about you but im pretty big on Drewiske.

That top 6 looks good to me minus Moller. I just dont know about Moller. He reminds me of Sami Kapenen which is a good thing but, we'll see if he can develop into that mold. He just needs to skate more, moving his feet more, better lateral movements. Instead of taking it to the corners, playing off the halfwall will do wonders for points. Kappy was so good at that, tons of speed up the boards, burning everyone, stop, pass or cut real hard to the slot.

Last edited by Brophy: 08-07-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 08:55 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brophy View Post
I dont know about you but im pretty big on Drewiske.

That top 6 looks good to me minus Moller. I just dont know about Moller. He reminds me of Sami Kapenen which is a good thing but, we'll see if he can develop into that mold. He just needs to skate more, moving his feet more, better lateral movements. Instead of taking it to the corners, playing off the halfwall will do wonders for points. Kappy was so good at that, tons of speed up the boards, burning everyone, stop, pass or cut real hard to the slot.
Yeah I'm pretty high on Drewiske as well, I would have had him at 6 or 7. But Lewis didnt get picked until then, and he was my guy since 4, so that's how it ended up

Old
08-07-2009, 10:10 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
My top 20 was being discussed in the staff forum at the same time all these polls were going on. The board's list did not come out much different than mine, with the exception that the board seems to be much higher on Drewiske than me. But hey, to each his own.

As for the top 4 prospects - you could draw the names out of a hat and whatever order they came out in, you probably couldn't argue against it. They are that close to each other in potential and probability.

08-07-2009, 10:20 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer View Post
My top 20 was being discussed in the staff forum at the same time all these polls were going on. The board's list did not come out much different than mine, with the exception that the board seems to be much higher on Drewiske than me. But hey, to each his own.

As for the top 4 prospects - you could draw the names out of a hat and whatever order they came out in, you probably couldn't argue against it. They are that close to each other in potential and probability.
IMHO, I don't think you could say that Bernier or Schenn are our number 1 prospect at this point. You could obviously make the argument for Hickey and Moller for being it, but not the former two.

We cannot say that Bernier is our number 1 prospect until he puts forth a consistent pro-season. He has all the potential in the world, but he has to make good on it by refining his mental game.

Schenn is probably one of the more safe prospects, and I dont think his ceiling is as high as Hickey's, and is a little higher than Moller's. But Schenn is farther away from the NHL than Moller (obviously), so he is less safe than Moller (and his slightly greater potential does not compensate for that), whereas Hickey probably has more potential than Schenn, and is at least as safe as Schenn considering that he has been in the system for a couple of years.

Moller is our safest prospect, and so can be considered our number 1 prospect in that he will for sure make the NHL, and Hickey is our prospect with the greatest potential relative to closeness to the NHL.

Old
08-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Why? Schenn's pretty much proven as much at the junior level as Hickey. Does the WJC make that much of a difference?

I don't see how Hickey has more potential. At best Schenn could be a number one/two center in the Mike Richards mold, and Hickey at best could be Rafalski with maybe better leadership.

I don't know who most people would pick, but I'd pick Mike Richards every day.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote