HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nicola Riopel signed

Old
08-08-2009, 08:13 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I doubt it. He's still in college. He also needs to develop big time. I know he got lots of attention at the prospect camp because of the way he stood up Clackson, but other than massive size I don't know what he really bring to the table at this point. Who knows, he might be the next huge D man to make a mark but I suspect he's the next Ian Forbes. It's like a decade or later and I'm still mad about that pick. That was an unbelievably deep draft that year and we wizzed that pick away by picking up Forbes. The next time you are bored head over to Hockey Data BAse and check out some of the amazing talent we didn't get. I realize that every year and in every situation you can generally find guys in leater rounds that surprise, but come on, that was a fantasitic year and we picked FORBES in the second round? end rant.
my mistake, i thought Lauridsen was in the Q

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 08:54 AM
chaosof99*

Because of the talk about contracts, can someone tell me what would happen if we bought out Rathje's contract and/or why we don't do that?

Also, if we trade away Jones (which I am all for), who is our 6th defenseman?

As for Riopel, hope he develops nicely and he does well in Training camp. Hope he repels a lot of pucks.
Also the article still calls them the Philadelphia Phantoms :/

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Because of the talk about contracts, can someone tell me what would happen if we bought out Rathje's contract and/or why we don't do that?

As for Riopel, hope he develops nicely and he does well in Training camp. Hope he repels a lot of pucks.
Because Ed Snider doesn't care about pocket change.

And because he's on long term injury reserve his salary doesn't count toward the cap (well, it does I think, but we can spend the same amount over the cap anyway) so it's really not necessary.
Also, if we bought him out I'm not sure if the cap hit would count or not, no idea.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 09:39 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Because Ed Snider doesn't care about pocket change.

And because he's on long term injury reserve his salary doesn't count toward the cap (well, it does I think, but we can spend the same amount over the cap anyway) so it's really not necessary.
Also, if we bought him out I'm not sure if the cap hit would count or not, no idea.
the cap hit would count, for 2 more years. our best bet is to just let him sit on LTIR for this season and then he wont count anymore come July of next year

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:21 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

Bartulis or Syvret most likely (if it's not OKT).

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:25 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I just have a feeling Marshall could win that spot.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Richie18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
In the Norwegian papers Tollefsen said that he was told that he is seen as a part of the Flyers team this season, so I think he'll be our 6th D-man. At least in the beginning. If any of the young guys does their job in the AHL I'm sure they'll get their chance during the season, but I'm positive that OKT will be the 6th D-man in october.

Richie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:19 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I just have a feeling Marshall could win that spot.
Straight out of the Q? That's extremely doubtful for a team with Cup aspirations.

Old
08-08-2009, 04:13 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

The way I understand it (which could very well be wrong) is that when a player is on LITR it is insurance that pays his salary and not the team. Aside from counting towards 50 contracts, he is no other expense to the team.

I totally expect the 6th to be OKT, with Syvret to be the 7th or first guy up. That of course assumes that Jones is traded which I pray for daily.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:51 AM
daynus

riopel/morrison

yah i'm very curious about riopel's potential. hope he's a gooder.he;s got the goods, but hope he brings er to the next level.

morrison i will be able to keep very close eye on him the next few seasons in the dub. being 1 hr out of saskatoon, i'll be able to watch him live in the lovely credit union centre. a very nice arena, great for concerts and hockey. they are gonna get seating up to 14-15 k for world juniors. a very nice facility for hockey hungry saskatchewan.

will also get daily updates from the saskatoon star phoenix. so i'll keep close tabs on him. besides garret klotz with his local ties to my area(family) and sam klassen a recent signee of the nyr, i never was really a blades fan. i liked the pa raiders and moosejaw warriors and even swift current broncos over the blades, but with recent events i hope morrison and the blades do well.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 08:06 PM
captainpaxil

im pretty sure its emery boucher on the flyers roster and then riopel and backlund will split time with the phantoms. if there were an injury backlund gets the call but otherwise its an even split.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 08:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
I'm not convinced Riopel is a lock for the AHL.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 08:25 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'm not convinced Riopel is a lock for the AHL.
You mean you have more faith in Teslak or Duschene? They said at the camp that he was the best goalie there. I think if he plays like he did at the camp, he is a sure for the AHL.

Duschene missed half the rookie camp, while Teslak has been average in the AHL.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 08:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You mean you have more faith in Teslak or Duschene? They said at the camp that he was the best goalie there. I think if he plays like he did at the camp, he is a sure for the AHL.

Duschene missed half the rookie camp, while Teslak has been average in the AHL.
I think I'd rather him get the playing time in the ECHL than be a backup to Backlund.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 08:45 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Riopel will be in the AHL with Backlund id say. Maybe even Teslak pulling a 3 way
I don't see them carrying 3 goalies. It's a lose-lose-lose situation for everyone. Fewer reps in practice, fewer games. One of them will be Kalamazoo.

My guess is that Backlund is a lock for Glens Falls and that going into camp that Riopel has an edge over Teslak, but if Teslak outplays Riopel then Teslak will backup Backlund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
I think I'd rather him get the playing time in the ECHL than be a backup to Backlund.
I think regardless of who is playing with Backlund that the games will be split 50/50 (much like the last time the Phantoms had 2 rookies goalies Boucher/Pelletier). I wouldn't be surprised if it's a situation where a goalie plays until he loses.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:45 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Is the ECHL even worth his time? That's an honest question. How does the talent there stack up to that in the Q? If it's not much better then it doesn't seem like he'd benefit from going there after dominating the Q last year.

Old
08-12-2009, 02:52 PM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I doubt Duchesne, who showed up to 2 of the rookie camp trainings would outbeat Riopel. The people who watched Riopel at the camp said he was the best goalie there (better then Sunshine).

That being said what I see happening is.

Flyers:
Emery
Boucher

Phantoms:
Backlund
Riopel

ECHL:
Teslak

Released:
Duchesne
This is the closest thing that I've seen to what I think will happen.

Emery/Boucher in the NHL
Backlund/Riopel in the AHL

There's no way the Flyers would have signed the kid to a contract if they planned on sending him to the ECHL. He could have easily gone back and played in the Q at no cost to them. While Backlund is a shoe in to play in the A, I think they realize he may have to adjust his game a bit to the North American style with smaller rinks. Riopel is thirsty to prove himself as shown last season. He's perfect to push a guy like Backlund and perhaps be a surprise dark horse.

Teslak was extremely sloppy at prospect camp and I think the org is soured on Duchesne at the moment.

DinkusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkusMaximus View Post
Teslak was extremely sloppy at prospect camp and I think the org is soured on Duchesne at the moment.
I don't know if "soured" is the right term to use. It's not as if he was a top 50 draft pick and was expected to be the Flyers starter by now. They just didn't strike gold 119 picks in the draft.

That said I don't put a lot of stock in how a goalie looks at prospect camp. Training camp will be a much better indicator, but, as I posted before, Teslak will have to really outplay Riopel if he stands a shot at making the Phantoms roster.

Old
08-12-2009, 03:12 PM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I don't know if "soured" is the right term to use. It's not as if he was a top 50 draft pick and was expected to be the Flyers starter by now. They just didn't strike gold 119 picks in the draft.
That's not what I mean. I'm talking about him not reporting to prospect camp and not taking the necessary interest to pursue his career. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but if all these other guys can make it here and bust their ***** on the ice for a spot why can't he? Not to mention his numbers aren't spectacular enough to just be given a spot. If anything they've been atrocious. Since being drafted by the Flyers his numbers have ballooned up substantially to the point his GAA is near 5.00 with a SV% hovering around .80.

2005-06 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 55 3 6 3175 185 5 4 3.50 25 29 0 1591 0.896 11 0 0
2006-07 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 28 1 4 1580 97 4 1 3.68 12 15 0 797 0.891 - - -
2006-07 Val d'Or Foreurs QMJHL 24 1 2 1356 66 1 1 2.92 13 10 0 618 0.904 18 0 0
2007-08 Dayton Bombers ECHL 31 1 4 1838 91 7 1 2.97 13 13 5 851 0.903 - - -
2007-08 Philadelphia Phantoms AHL 2 0 0 80 6 0 0 4.50 1 0 0 24 0.800 - - -
2008-09 Mississippi Sea Wolves ECHL 14 1 4 718 57 1 1 4.77 3 7 2 409 0.878 - - -
2008-09 South Carolina Stingrays ECHL 5 0 2 206 17 0 0 4.94 2 2 0 93 0.845 - - -

If soured isn't the right word, then what is?

Old
08-13-2009, 07:54 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Yeah when you get a near 5.0 GAA on the team that wins the championship your numbers aren't that great. He's ECHL fodder for sure if that. Probably end up in the CHL or England or something. Junk.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
pelts35.com

I'm not saying that his numbers have been good. Like I said before, soured to me is when a prospect doesn't develop as expected. You don't expect the 119th pick to be anything more than a minor league player. He's no different than Houle, Beauchemin or other goalies that were drafted and have since moved on. Frankly I don't think they have enough invested in the guy to become "soured" on him. They understand that part of the business is that 4-8th round draft picks are nothign more than roster fillers.

Duchesne not being a diamond in the rough just is what it is and is the norm for a 119th draft pick.

Old
08-13-2009, 02:10 PM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I'm not saying that his numbers have been good. Like I said before, soured to me is when a prospect doesn't develop as expected. You don't expect the 119th pick to be anything more than a minor league player. He's no different than Houle, Beauchemin or other goalies that were drafted and have since moved on. Frankly I don't think they have enough invested in the guy to become "soured" on him. They understand that part of the business is that 4-8th round draft picks are nothign more than roster fillers.

Duchesne not being a diamond in the rough just is what it is and is the norm for a 119th draft pick.

Doesn't matter if you're taking a guy 44th overall or 242nd overall. You expect him to play up to the level of that pick and the other players picked around him then. When you don't play to that level of expectations their is great disappointment because they could have had someone else with that pick. Theres a reason they invest that much money into scouts. They try to get the best players available at that pick to try and steal the dark horse. Kiprusoff was taken 116th overall and Lundqvist was picked 205th overall. So they know talented players can indeed be had at that position in the draft. They don't exactly expect him to develop into those players, but the goal is to land the bet guy available there. They could have had Nathan Gerbe at that pick. So it doesn't matter where the pick is, if that player doesn't play up to the expectations of that position in the draft you get soured on him. A GAA that high and Sv% that low is a failure for a goaltender at that level even in the ECHL. Not to mention he's turned in those numbers season after season. With numbers like that I'm sure they've already written them off.

Old
08-14-2009, 08:24 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkusMaximus View Post
Doesn't matter if you're taking a guy 44th overall or 242nd overall. You expect him to play up to the level of that pick and the other players picked around him then. When you don't play to that level of expectations their is great disappointment because they could have had someone else with that pick. Theres a reason they invest that much money into scouts. They try to get the best players available at that pick to try and steal the dark horse. Kiprusoff was taken 116th overall and Lundqvist was picked 205th overall. So they know talented players can indeed be had at that position in the draft. They don't exactly expect him to develop into those players, but the goal is to land the bet guy available there. They could have had Nathan Gerbe at that pick. So it doesn't matter where the pick is, if that player doesn't play up to the expectations of that position in the draft you get soured on him. A GAA that high and Sv% that low is a failure for a goaltender at that level even in the ECHL. Not to mention he's turned in those numbers season after season. With numbers like that I'm sure they've already written them off.
I don't think that either of us are going to change each other's minds so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Players like Kiprusoff and Lundqvist are the "diamonds in the rough" that I was referring to. They are few and far between and, frankly, it's nothing more than luck that they developed into the players that they have become. In general players picked where Duschene was picked are career minor leaguers/low level European league players. Has Duschene not even achieved that? At this point (with the exception of a respectible rookie season), no, but that doesn't mean that he cannot be a serviceable low level goaltender. He's still very young.

Old
08-14-2009, 08:33 AM
JeffForsberg21

Riopel is signed to a 2-way AHL/ECHL contract (according to forecaster.ca) "minor league contract" like David Sloane.

That way, Riopel plays in the organization without breaking the 50-contracts limit and the Flyers still retain his rights (drafted this year)

Doesn't appear in the 50-man contract list on capgeek.com too

JeffForsberg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:28 AM
pelts35.com

BTW, just comparing a 5th rounder like Riopel to a 4th rounder like Duchesne, I have more faith in a Riopel developing into a player than Duchesne based simply on the numbers that he put up in juniors.

Riopel improved with each season in juniors. His rookie season he had a 3.35 GAA which he then improved to 3.04 to 2.05 while increasing his games played from 37 to 47 to 59. His save %age also improved from .894 to .910 to .930.

On the other hand Duchense's numbers were average at best. Only once was his GAA near 3.00 and his save %age was only once over .900.

I'll take a guy who put up good numbers over a guy who never up good numbers 99 out of 100 times.