HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

68 VS 99 (Who Was The Better Ranger?)

View Poll Results: 68 VS 99 (Who Was The Better Ranger?)
Wayne Gretzky 15 7.98%
Jaromir Jagr 167 88.83%
They were equal 6 3.19%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-08-2009, 07:25 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Jagrs impact was HUGE the year after the lockout. Best years by any Ranger almost ever. That 1st line was the arguably the best in the NHL

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I hate to say it, being that Gretzky is my favorite player of all time, and it was a dream come true to see him in a Rangers uniform... but Jagr had the better stay here. Jagr was also about 5 years younger when he came to NY than Gretzky was. It's not really a fair comparison, being that Gretzky was past his prime, and still averaged a point per game for his career in NY despite not having the talent around him in the final 2 years.

Jagr had played on the best teams the Rangers have had since 97, and most of us thought the 08 team had a chance to do some real damage before the season started. If Gretzky had teams like that in 98 and 99, we'd be looking at this argument differently.
Quoted for truth. Those '98 and '99 teams really were putrid.

Only guys who scored 40 points or more aside from Gretzky: (Personally I don't even get how MacLean got to play for the Rangers, gah...)

LaFontaine, Kovalev (Rangers version, not Penguins version), Leetch, Sundstrom and Stevens.

MacLean, Leetch, Graves, Nedved, Savard, Stevens, Sundstrom

EDIT: Not diminishing Jagr's massive achievements, just think TGO is getting slighted in his, the '97 playoffs he had was terrific, and we haven't seen the ECF since.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 09:47 AM
rambler725

Jagr was the biggest factor in turning a struggling franchise around...Gretzky unfortunately could not help but go down with the sinking ship (no fault of his own)

rambler725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:29 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
As much as it pains me to not go with Gretzky, I've gotta say it's Jags for reasons already stated, w/o Jagr, this team's rise from the lockout would be very different. Then again maybe it would be better to have guys like EJ and Turris playing for the Rangers right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Messier excluded, Jaromir was the best big name acquisition in Rangers history.
...and then there was Gaborik.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 12:44 PM
The Thomas J.*

I have to go with Jagr, He carried the team. Gretzky was good, but he never domintaed the way Jagr did.

Plus The team was a shell after Messier left, Not even Gretzky could shoulder that Burden, Jagr did it pretty well after Messier Retired.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 03:58 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
Quoted for truth. Those '98 and '99 teams really were putrid.

Only guys who scored 40 points or more aside from Gretzky: (Personally I don't even get how MacLean got to play for the Rangers, gah...)

LaFontaine, Kovalev (Rangers version, not Penguins version), Leetch, Sundstrom and Stevens.

MacLean, Leetch, Graves, Nedved, Savard, Stevens, Sundstrom
LaFontaine wasn't even there in 99. Gretzky helped Graves to a 38-goal season in 99. That 99 team was GOD AWFUL. Sundstrom, Cloutier, and Savard were gone by the deadline. Matt Johnson had pretty much ended Beukeboom's career in LA in December of 98 with that god awful sucker punch. The team was decimated. Kevin Hatcher and Kevin Stevens were past prime... Stevens was having his fun with drugs and prostitutes... Richter got hurt. Gretzky, Leetch, and Graves couldn't carry that team by themselves.

Whiffing on Sakic in 97 really cost that club for the next 8-9 years.

Quote:
EDIT: Not diminishing Jagr's massive achievements, just think TGO is getting slighted in his, the '97 playoffs he had was terrific, and we haven't seen the ECF since.
That was the best playoff performance we had seen anyone put up since Leetch and Messier in 94.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I have to go with Jagr, He carried the team. Gretzky was good, but he never domintaed the way Jagr did.

Plus The team was a shell after Messier left, Not even Gretzky could shoulder that Burden, Jagr did it pretty well after Messier Retired.
Gretzky never dominated? The 97 playoffs would say otherwise.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:14 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Easiest poll ever:

JAGR

without Jagr our playoff drought would probably still be active.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Smashley

Awwww <3 JJ, *sniff*

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 09:35 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
LaFontaine wasn't even there in 99. Gretzky helped Graves to a 38-goal season in 99. That 99 team was GOD AWFUL. Sundstrom, Cloutier, and Savard were gone by the deadline. Matt Johnson had pretty much ended Beukeboom's career in LA in December of 98 with that god awful sucker punch. The team was decimated. Kevin Hatcher and Kevin Stevens were past prime... Stevens was having his fun with drugs and prostitutes... Richter got hurt. Gretzky, Leetch, and Graves couldn't carry that team by themselves.

That was the best playoff performance we had seen anyone put up since Leetch and Messier in 94.

I was speaking of the 2 regular seasons after 97 more than the 97' Playoffs.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Sockosensei

I'd go with Jagr, but I have to say, that first year with Gretzky was amazing.

I'd never seen defenders so scared to approach a player; it seemed like any time someone would try to pressure him he'd magically dish it off to create a scoring chance. But that magic was completely gone by 1997-98 (even though the numbers don't necessarily show it).

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:41 PM
GarretJoseph

Everybody still think it was Jagr? Just curious.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:54 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Gretzky took us farther and was excellent in the playoffs. We obviously got him on the tail end of his career, but since he took us to the ECF we have yet to go back, so I'm going with Gretzky. Jagr was quintessential in bringing us back to relevance, but Gretzky brought us closer to a cup.

Man I really need to get a white liberty gretzky jersey... SUPER RARE!

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:54 PM
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!

vCash: 827
Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
JJ. close poll.

McNashty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:57 PM
JayQueensNY88*

68 68 68 68 68

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:01 PM
NYR HOOLIGAN
Rookie User

I still cant believe we booed Jagr when he came back to MSG.

NYR HOOLIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:02 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Gretzky was awesome, but Jagr lifted this franchise.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Rangers2319

deff jagr, and man i miss him a lot

a lot of ppl on this board didnt want him bc he was slow and old, apparently being on 1st line in philly with giroux and hartnell is good enough right?

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:32 PM
wango55

Wow. Really tough question, but good question. There are a ton of factors, and you really could argue either way. Gretz played during the heart of the "clutch and grab" era during his tenure in NYC. Jagr had the benefit of playing post lockout when they started to think about how to open up the game, and start calling those interference penalties. Gretz was at the end of his career, and Jagr still had some good years ahead of him. Still that ECF run in '97 was pretty amazing, and I'm glad I got to go to the Garden for a few of those games back then.

Jagr and co. could take over games though. Him, Nylander and Straka were a pretty dominant line and pretty much carried the offense. They brought us out of an era of no-playoffs into a perrenially playoff bound team.

Based solely on the fact that Jagr almost singlehandedly brought the Rangers to respectability I would say he had the bigger impact during his Ranger career, and he would get my vote.

Last edited by wango55: 04-27-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Meant Straka - not Rucinsky!
wango55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Gotta agree with the crowd on this one. Jags. Not much of a contest.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Jagr. The man put up the single greatest season in Ranger history with Nylander and Straka.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:20 PM
NCRanger

Quote:

Point 1 - Which is why Neil Smith did more to destroy the Rangers than Sather ever did.

Point 2 - That playoff performance by Gretzky in '97 led most fans to believe that there was more in the tank than there actually was. A case can be made though, if Messier didn't leave in 1997, or if Sakic was signed, Gretzky may have had another year or two at an elite level, and it would have been doubtful that the Rangers ever got as bad as they did.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Everybody still think it was Jagr? Just curious.
Why the hell would people in a poll from 2009 suddenly think it was not Jagr, and it was Gretzky? It's not like one of them has made a comeback to the NYR since then and made a difference in this question...

bumping this thread was retarded.

04-27-2012, 10:46 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Why the hell would people in a poll from 2009 suddenly think it was not Jagr, and it was Gretzky? It's not like one of them has made a comeback to the NYR since then and made a difference in this question...

Somebody needs to get laid FAST!

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:05 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post

I can sort of see a reason why. People making posts three years ago kept pointing to Jagr's record-breaking season in 2005/2006. We have a better idea now than we did then that that first post-lockout season inflated stats across the board (half the league had a "career year" in 05/06). That doesn't diminish what Jagr did--he was still the best in the league. But it does put it into context. Without the extra space that the players got from the new rules being called so strictly, I don't think Jagr breaks any Rangers records that year.

All that said, I didn't vote then or now, as I can't really decide. Gretzky took the team further in the post-season while Jagr re-infused a winning atmosphere to the team. If I had to choose one or the other, I would probably pick Gretzky, solely because Jagr's last year here left a sour taste (when he practically coasted through the regular season because he "saves himself for the playoffs.")

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote