HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts = the difference

Old
08-07-2009, 02:44 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Isn't that kotalik?
well yeah, kinda but...

when i say pp cannon, i mean from the top- the blue line. kotalik really doesnt belong at the point. his shot is filthy yes, but hes not a pp pointman. hes a forward who does his best work firing one timers in the high slot and off the wing. hell be most effective coming of the wall looking for his shot.

a pp pointman stays high normally and sets up his big slapper from the top. someone like anton babchuk.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
This team is no better than it was last year. The only difference with Torts behind the bench, is that now I won't fall asleep while watching them lose.
I agree.... I won't mind if our record more or less stays the same, just as long as we see more exciting/competitive hockey on a more consistent basis...

I can stomach losses, just as long as the team plays hard... I absolutely could not stand losses in the past seasons where the team takes the night off, looks largely invisible, or just plain disinterested....And then seeing no repercussions from the coaching staff for those poor performances, except Renney juggling the lines again and again.

Losing from getting outworked = unacceptable
Losing from a few bad breaks or bad bounces = acceptable in my book

The Isles under Nolan were the perfect example of how a team could work hard and still lose hockey games. They didn't have the talent to compete with many teams on a nightly basis but they helped compensate for that lack of talent with hard work and made many games much closer than they should have been.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:49 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
varlamov stymied us. hank was scored on. agree our offense was inept but varlamov stopped pretty much everything he saw.

as much as i love hank, he was beaten and for the most part from game 3 on, varlamov outplayed him.

varlamov was the difference in that series more than hank was. period.
Ya think it might have turned out different if Ovechkin, Semin, Green, Backstrom were with Lundqvist and Redden, Zherdev, Gomez and Drury were shooting at Varlamov?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:50 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I agree.... I won't mind if our record more or less stays the same, just as long as we see more exciting/competitive hockey on a more consistent basis...

I can stomach losses, just as long as the team plays hard... I absolutely could not stand losses in the past seasons where the team takes the night off, looks largely invisible, or just plain disinterested....

Losing from getting outworked = unacceptable
Losing from a few bad breaks or bad bounces = acceptable in my book

The Isles under Nolan were the perfect example of how a team could work hard and still lose hockey games.
playing for the shootout every night was brutal.

the days of backing up and playing dump and change are over.

hopefully the too many men on the ice penalties and shorthanded goals against are over.

the days of, waiting until the 10 minute mark of the 3rd period when were down 3 goals before we start playing hockey only to lose 3-2, are over.

going 0-7 on the pp. over.

im looking forward to this season more than ever just because renneys gone but im praying slats isnt done yet. we still need some more tweaking.

Old
08-07-2009, 02:51 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Ya think it might have turned out different if Ovechkin, Semin, Green, Backstrom were with Lundqvist and Redden, Zherdev, Gomez and Drury were shooting at Varlamov?
Varlamov should be Lundqvist in the above.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:52 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
yeah but you cant play that game really. we both agree our o last spring was dreadful.

it is what it is.

or was what it was........ well you know what i mean

Old
08-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Blueblood 2

Bottom line: The fans didn't decide, and Sather just pulled the trigger like any executive would do. It was Renney's own players who decided to shut off Renney and shut down their effort. I would submit that they knew Tom Renney better than any fan and probably better than Sather. Something had to be done and Tortorella was the best available coach at the time. Just like smart teams draft the best available player. Gentleman Tom was through in New York no matter who the replacement was. Nice pick by Sather.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:57 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Bottom line: The fans didn't decide, and Sather just pulled the trigger like any executive would do. It was Renney's own players who decided to shut off Renney and shut down their effort. I would submit that they knew Tom Renney better than any fan and probably better than Sather. Something had to be done and Tortorella was the best available coach at the time. Just like smart teams draft the best available player. Gentleman Tom was through in New York no matter who the replacement was. Nice pick by Sather.

when your players quit on you, for whatever reason, you're done.

Old
08-07-2009, 02:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Renney's "best friend" approach worked for certain players but largely hurt the team because that approach did not create enough competitiveness among the players to enhance their level of play... Players positions were more or less solidified in the line-up based on experience & seniority with consistency game in and game out taking a back-seat...

Torts is pitting the players against each other for line positioning, playing time, etc... It's exactly what we needed... No longer an atmosphere for entitlement... As Ru Paul would say, "You better work, b****!"

Old
08-07-2009, 03:05 PM
mullichicken25

Tom renny always looked sharp and classy behind the bench...i'll miss that i suppose

Torts usually looks like he's been living out of a van...down by the river

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Didn't you just ask me to read more carefully? I never used the word "irrelevant", you just did. You said "very important" and I submit that a coach who is unfamiliar with his new team after only 18 regular games with that team isn't "very important" behind the bench at that stage in the game, especially not with Schoenfeld back there helping run things, because unlike Tortorella, he actually was familiar with the team and knew the players well...
OK, you don't think it's important to have your head coach behind the bench in a pivotal game six at home, if he's only been with the team for two months. Got it.

I disagree, but we get your point.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
well yeah, kinda but...

when i say pp cannon, i mean from the top- the blue line. kotalik really doesnt belong at the point. his shot is filthy yes, but hes not a pp pointman. hes a forward who does his best work firing one timers in the high slot and off the wing. hell be most effective coming of the wall looking for his shot.

a pp pointman stays high normally and sets up his big slapper from the top. someone like anton babchuk.
Ahhh if only Torts could somehow make Rozy a trigger happy player, then we'd have the booming shot from the blueline on the PP haha

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:58 PM
John Torturella

One reason I like the idea of a more offense oriented game is it gives poor teams less of a chance. With Renney's passive hockey, games were close, even against the worst teams.

For example, Graves night. Just the thought of that game can put one to sleep (it did put a guy in my section to sleep, no joke). The Thrashers were terrible as they come but it was a snoozer 1-1 game. I think with Torts' style we can force those bad teams into making mistakes, allowing us to pull away from them.

Just my thoughts.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
One reason I like the idea of a more offense oriented game is it gives poor teams less of a chance. With Renney's passive hockey, games were close, even against the worst teams.

For example, Graves night. Just the thought of that game can put one to sleep (it did put a guy in my section to sleep, no joke). The Thrashers were terrible as they come but it was a snoozer 1-1 game. I think with Torts' style we can force those bad teams into making mistakes, allowing us to pull away from them.

Just my thoughts.
I actually do agree with that and should definitely work in theory...we'll see how it works during the season though.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:35 PM
beastly115

Also, IMO, letting Zherdev walk was a mistake.

This team has NO offensive players that can pass the puck. Dubinsky is ok but he won't be enough.

We have a bunch of shooters with no one to dish them the puck. Slats purged the team of the only 2 passers we had.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
It's not really a mistake when his departure from the team was inevitable... Do you think if we signed Zherdev for 1 more season there was any chance whatsoever that he would re-sign with the Rangers when he became a free agent next off-season?

Sather moved on from a player who had no future with this team... There's no way we were going to overpay for his inconsistency as a free agent....

Short term it might hurt us but long term there's no impact because there was little to no chance he stayed a Ranger for anything beyond one additional season....

Old
08-07-2009, 10:18 PM
NYR2007

Quote:

This team has NO offensive players that can pass the puck. Dubinsky is ok but he won't be enough.

We have a bunch of shooters with no one to dish them the puck. Slats purged the team of the only 2 passers we had.
How did we let him walk, after the whole thing went down Zherdev's agent came out and said they knew the rangers COULDN'T AFFORD Zherdev at 3.2 (or whatever it was) So he than went on to ask for 4.7M

Zherdev knew the rangers were not going to be able to keep him if he did that and he went along with it. So can you explain to me how we let him walk, everyone is acting as if Sather had a chose.

Now if you said we shouldn't have signed kotalik and kept zherdev (a heart less piece of garbage) than that is a different argument.

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:30 PM
NYR Viper

On top of the more exciting style of play being brought by Torts players like Gaborik and Lisin are the types of player who bring fans to the edge of their seats.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Lets wait till were like half way through the season to say he's the difference maker....
Posted via Mobile Device

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:17 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
How did we let him walk, after the whole thing went down Zherdev's agent came out and said they knew the rangers COULDN'T AFFORD Zherdev at 3.2 (or whatever it was) So he than went on to ask for 4.7M

Zherdev knew the rangers were not going to be able to keep him if he did that and he went along with it. So can you explain to me how we let him walk, everyone is acting as if Sather had a chose.

Now if you said we shouldn't have signed kotalik and kept zherdev (a heart less piece of garbage) than that is a different argument.
Yep. Pretty sure we could have fit him if Kotalik wasn't signed. IMO, Z's passing is going to be more valuable than Kotalik's shot.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post

They will all be surprised then when we sign Heatley. Where did all that money come from.....hahahahahaha!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote