HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good Restaurant

Old
08-08-2009, 03:33 PM
OilerNut*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
There's risk that comes with every kind of meat. Poultry has a higher risk of carrying disease, Seafood tends to be pretty high in sodium and can contain pollutants, and most red meat tends to be high in fat.

The best option is to mix it up and not eat the same type every day.
Exactly, everything in moderation.

And as for that study it mentions people who eat red meat EVERY day. Of course if you're going to have a juicy hamburger every single day it isn't good for you.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:06 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Exactly, everything in moderation.

And as for that study it mentions people who eat red meat EVERY day. Of course if you're going to have a juicy hamburger every single day it isn't good for you.
Of course moderation is the way to go but these studies almost never take food quality into consideration.
If food quality is not part of the equation then it should throw into question the validity of any study that attempts to evaluate food and health.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:24 PM
iddmitch

Packrat Louie's was fantastic, ate their last night. Great choice, very social dining with very good food and drink.

If you want something a little more exotic try Pagolac. Not fancy, actually kind of a ****hole but the food is great and the service is pretty good. You have to like Vietnemese though.

The Thai Valley Grill in Whitemud Crossing is great. I met the owner and his wife one night. She used to be the Head chef for the royal family in Thailand and now she cooks here in Edmonton. The service is fantastic, small setting everyone gets very well looked after.

Note: The Thai Royal Family actually made a specific stop in Edmonton to grab a bite to eat at this place. I read that in the journal I think it was a couple years ago.

iddmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Moose Coleman

Bringing this over from the arena thread discussion on downtown restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
So why don't they now in that case? Games go on near downtown, thousands of patrons of Oilers game go right by downtown on LRT headed for southside. Yet if you are on one of those trains you note virtually nobody getting off downtown post game.

Looks like maybe there isn't much appeal downtown.
Or maybe not everyone who has just dropped >$200 on a hockey game wants to go gout for a full meal afterwards. Not to mention that the on-ice product is enough to put anyone off their feed.

Quote:
Hell for a decent steak after an event at Rexall I'd have to go all the way to Bistecca at Century Park or just walk to Coliseum Steak and Pizza. Not sure where people got the notion I'm a picky eater at all. I just want a decent restaurant, not pub, to go to. Thats it.

People eat steak here in Alberta. They do actually.
So it's not that DT lacks for options. It lacks for options that cater to you. Doesn't mean you are picky: there's nothing in Millwoods that appeals to me either.

Quote:
One of the specific problems with downtown Edmonton is it doesn't cater to an Edmonton demographic. Corso32? lol.
lol? Place is packed every night, you need to book week's in advance for reservations. Oh and it's ceen vote done of the best restaurants in the country. LOL indeed.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the rest of Edmonton, who see very little reason to go downtown, end up spending their money closer to home in confines that more suit their tastes. Ironically, I recently went to a Cowboy Junkies concert in St Albert and found more appealing restaurants to go to in immediate vicinity downtown St Albert then in Edmonton. Not surprisingly people from St Albert are patrons of their downtown.
The River House was, at one point, one of my favourite restaurants in the Edmonton area. Haven't been in years, though.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Pampas

http://pampasteakhouse.com/

Just my two cents

Mr.Prez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:19 PM
0ilerman
The King

Corso 32 makes 0ilerman happy

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:50 AM
The Imp

I'm in town this week, and tried out Millstones at the Commons yesterday. That was EXCELLENT food. Truly excellent.

The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imp View Post
I'm in town this week, and tried out Millstones at the Commons yesterday. That was EXCELLENT food. Truly excellent.
They are really hit and miss for me. I've been there probably half dozen times in the past year, sometimes just for a couple drinks. I do like the atmosphere, but there is always some sort of issue when I'm there. Probably more of a staffing issue than anything.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Beerfish

Thai Valley Grill - Whitemud Crossing. If you like Thai or spicey food this place is very very good. Makes sure you request some of their burnt hot sauce.

Edit: Oops I didn't see that Iddmitch had already mentioned this place. It is a really good place to go.

Last edited by Beerfish: 05-03-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:37 AM
MikeModano9

Somewhere really low-key and chill with pretty unreal food and lots of interesting imports is The Next Act just off Whyte. Voted Best Burger in Edmonton last year I believe. The place has just great food. Nothing fancy.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Bringing this over from the arena thread discussion on downtown restaurants

Or maybe not everyone who has just dropped >$200 on a hockey game wants to go gout for a full meal afterwards. Not to mention that the on-ice product is enough to put anyone off their feed.

So it's not that DT lacks for options. It lacks for options that cater to you. Doesn't mean you are picky: there's nothing in Millwoods that appeals to me either.

lol? Place is packed every night, you need to book week's in advance for reservations. Oh and it's ceen vote done of the best restaurants in the country. LOL indeed.

The River House was, at one point, one of my favourite restaurants in the Edmonton area. Haven't been in years, though.
Again its not like I'm picky, but I like a place that can grill up a supreme cut whether it be Salmon, steak Ahi tuna, what have you. Downtown St. Albert, tbh, has more restaurants I like than I find downtown.

I don't like Brazilian Barbecue so can't stand Pampas. Ruth Chris is just an abortion to me, I guess I'm selective because I can do pretty good on a barbecue at home. So when I'm out at a reasonable establishment I have high expectations. I find they often don't deliver in downtown Edmonton and Certainly don't at the places I mention.

Anyway you say theres nothing in Millwoods that appeals to you. How about southside. Bistecca, Sicilian Pasta Kitchen, Vons, Chop, etc.

Theres many more places outside of the downtown that cater more to Edmonton tastes than in the downtown where places seem to get lost in serving only one demographic. Which I admit isn't me. But should downtown eateries be so selective in patrons?

Finally, no mystery why Corso32 is packed, its a small restaurant with very limited space and tables. KInd iof strange in anycase to consider it in the context of a place to go after/before a game when you really can't without a month in advance reservation. For most casual downtown patrons Corso really isn't an option. Thats why I laughed. Corso doesn't fit at all, as a go to pre/post destination. Its not at all an on a whim choice.

Last edited by Replacement: 05-03-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temaire View Post
Does anyone know of a good buffet restaurant here in Edmonton?
Drive out to the Rivercree for buffet. By far my best buffet experience in Edmonton, and it's worth the drive if you go with an appetite.

Pampa's is a Brazilian style buffet. They'll keep bringing meat to your table until you tell them to stop. I enjoyed my experience there.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

I actually liked Pampas' salad bar better than most (and better than the, for me, overly salty meat) when I went.

Last edited by Section337: 05-03-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:12 AM
thinlizzy

Coliseum Steak and Pizza has the best steak for the buck in Edmonton. The atmosphere is imbedded in a time capsule along with the waitresses but I am not there for viewing. 27.98 gets you steak, salad , potato and/or fries. The ribs there look like they came from a dinosaur.

Lan's Asian Grill ( Thai /Vietnamese ) by NAIT is awesome for catering to clean food. They cater to veggie people and the price is reasonable. Again the restaurant is clean nothing over the top fancy and family run establishment.

If you want more of an ambiance then this Thai restaurant is what you want

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/131/1344...urant-Edmonton

The King and I on Whyte Ave also has excellent Thai food with an ambiance. Dinner can be a bit pricey. For 15 bucks per person you can go at lunch and they serve you portions of the dinner menu which is probably the best bang for your buck.

I heard Ruth's Chris is over priced period. I have ate at both the Keg on Whyte Ave and downtown and they are average at best.

Last edited by thinlizzy: 05-03-2013 at 11:23 AM.
thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:16 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Thai Valley Grill - Whitemud Crossing. If you like Thai or spicey food this place is very very good. Makes sure you request some of their burnt hot sauce.

Edit: Oops I didn't see that Iddmitch had already mentioned this place. It is a really good place to go.
Interesting. What is the burnt hot sauce all about? I love Thai and spicey food so I'll have to make sure to check this place out.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Again its not like I'm picky, but I like a place that can grill up a supreme cut whether it be Salmon, steak Ahi tuna, what have you. Downtown St. Albert, tbh, has more restaurants I like than I find downtown.

I don't like Brazilian Barbecue so can't stand Pampas. Ruth Chris is just an abortion to me, I guess I'm selective because I can do pretty good on a barbecue at home. So when I'm out at a reasonable establishment I have high expectations. I find they often don't deliver in downtown Edmonton and Certainly don't at the places I mention.
I think you are picky. Hell you say as much here. That's fine. But again, that's not a reflection of what DT has to offer.

Quote:
Anyway you say theres nothing in Millwoods that appeals to you. How about southside. Bistecca, Sicilian Pasta Kitchen, Vons, Chop, etc.
Never tried Bistecca. Sicilian Pasta Kitchen is pretty meh to me. Vons is ok, but I'd rather drop that kind of money at Hardware Grill. Chop is just a slightly gussied up chain fare.

Quote:
Theres many more places outside of the downtown that cater more to Edmonton tastes than in the downtown where places seem to get lost in serving only one demographic. Which I admit isn't me. But should downtown eateries be so selective in patrons?
If they are successful doing so, why wouldn't they? It's not like the middlebrow casual dining market in Edmonton as a whole is under served.

Quote:
Finally, no mystery why Corso32 is packed, its a small restaurant with very limited space and tables.
It's also the only place in town doing what they do and one of the few (only?) places in Edmonton that wouldn't be out of place in a city like Toronto or Vancouver.

Quote:
KInd iof strange in anycase to consider it in the context of a place to go after/before a game when you really can't without a month in advance reservation. For most casual downtown patrons Corso really isn't an option. Thats why I laughed. Corso doesn't fit at all, as a go to pre/post destination. Its not at all an on a whim choice
Well, the context was more restaurants in general.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I actually liked Pampas' salad bar better than most (and better than the, for me, overly salty meat) when I went.
That's my problem with Pampa's. The Salad bar is so yummy it fills you up before you eat the meat.. the uber yummy meat.

I've only gone once.. next time I'm going to just eat meat. Because.. well because you can.

If you're looking downtown specifically and it's already been mentioned earlier I believe.
The hardware grill is pretty much the best restaurant you'll find in the city, province, country. Sure you'll get people on here that will find a reason to complain about it but use the internet and publications.. it's always on the radar.

Lacaar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
If you're looking downtown specifically and it's already been mentioned earlier I believe.
The hardware grill is pretty much the best restaurant you'll find in the city, province, country. Sure you'll get people on here that will find a reason to complain about it but use the internet and publications.. it's always on the radar.
Whoa whoa whoa, let's not go nuts here.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:21 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, let's not go nuts here.
Well if the bolded is where you call him out I still got to try it out

Restaurants are like women to me, it's just too damn hard to say this restaurant is the best or this women is the hottest.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Lewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
That's my problem with Pampa's. The Salad bar is so yummy it fills you up before you eat the meat.. the uber yummy meat.

I've only gone once.. next time I'm going to just eat meat. Because.. well because you can.

I agree with everything that has been said here including the salad bar. Hardware grill consistently ranks as one of the best in the country. Still haven't been to Pampas but I've done other Brazilian Steakhouses in Phoenix and Mexico.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:24 PM
A Classy Banana

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I forgot to mention an old favourite - Bistro Praha - which seemed to spawn multiple copycats around the city. You'll hear classical music from the speakers most times, and the painting on the back of the restaurant wall is impressive. If you're there, try the schnitzel and apple strudel. You will be stuffed, satisfied and amazed. It's like walking into an authentic European bistro.
Was right about to say this. It really is an excellent place to go if you're looking for something different. The schnitzel is fantastic and they have an excellent selection of beer.

Also - the melting pot can be pretty pricey, but the food is great and it's just a really great atmosphere.

A Classy Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
the pen is mightier

Quote:

Finally, no mystery why Corso32 is packed, its a small restaurant with very limited space and tables. KInd iof strange in anycase to consider it in the context of a place to go after/before a game when you really can't without a month in advance reservation. For most casual downtown patrons Corso really isn't an option. Thats why I laughed. Corso doesn't fit at all, as a go to pre/post destination. Its not at all an on a whim choice.
Agree on the Ruth's Chris, to serve american beef in Alberta doesn't make any sense.The only decent thing about the steak there was that the texture was good, but after that, it had nothing.

I may as well have too high of a standard for steak, but I was lucky enough to grow up on a farm where we couldn't afford fertilizers or pesticides, and were an accidental organic farm, but I was raised on ribeyes and no name KD. To me, Moxie's has had one of the better steaks, and 100 was decent, but still not the same as at home.

For other places, I've enjoyed Sorrentino's, Louisiana Purchase, Milestones on the southside(the west end has service issues), Guru, Dadeos, Pourhouse, and on ellerslie, there is a little place called Curry Kebab that makes a sweet Daal Makhani.

the pen is mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Interesting. What is the burnt hot sauce all about? I love Thai and spicey food so I'll have to make sure to check this place out.
It's an in house thing they do. They roast some type of peppers until it looks pretty well burnt. (It doesn't taste burnt however, just looks burnt.) You need to request it from the server and they will bring a little bowl of it with their other hot sauces. It is especially good if you put some on coconut rice. It's spicey but not face burner spicey. I really like it. (I scooped some into an empty pill jar one time I was there so I could take it home.)

Old
05-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Beerfish

Another place that was always good but I have not been to in ages is the 'The Mill' (Gazaus Zur Muhle) just off of white avenue at about 101 street. German food.

(For a very cheap no frills meal I like going to Royale pizza, great backed pasta there.)

Old
05-03-2013, 02:20 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Just thought I would mention my experience at the Keg on 105th just south of Whyte.

Took my Mom and son out to dinner a few weeks back at what i thought was a decent restaurant for steaks. My son (ribs and chicken) and my Mom (New York steak) didnt seem to mind their meals. I recall them saying that "it was ok". Not exactly a ringing endorsement but not terribly damning either.
I had ordered the Prime Rib (medium) which came as rare and so I sent it back. It came back pretty beat up...I was hungry and ate it anyway. I would say that it originally arrived as a 5/10 and returned as a 4/10.The veggies on the other hand were disgusting. I couldn't figure out why they were so bland and old looking. That is until we were leaving the restaurant. Thats when I noticed their 'cooks' dumping veggies onto plates from steaming hot plastic bags. Not sure what happen to the prime rib but that visual explained why the veggies were so bad.

So apparently the Kegs idea of a good meal includes microwaved bags of veggies with their steak and prime rib dinners.
God only knows how the meat was cooked.

What a joke. I will never return to that restaurant.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote