HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeremy Roenick: One Black Mark On An Otherwise Stellar Career

Old
08-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Petter

vCash: 500
It is kind of cool that Roenick currently is the last player to record over 100 points three seasons in a row. I guess Malkin or Ovechkin will break that this season, but still!

Petter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 02:28 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
Condescending? Again, pot...meet kettle!
OK... points have been made. Let's keep the discussion on JR please and not other posters.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 02:42 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

He deserves to make it into the Hall of Fame based on his performance over the years, but he shouldn't expect anything but disdain from Kings' fans.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 06:47 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
He deserves to make it into the Hall of Fame based on his performance over the years, but he shouldn't expect anything but disdain from Kings' fans.
If that's the case then whoever decided to get Roenick should also be held accountable. I know if I'm the GM I'd fly and meet the guy before trading for him and see for myself that he was fat and out of shape. Roenick and Hull spent the entire lockout playing golf and drinking and the results prove that. The Kings seem to sign or trade for guys with questionable backgrounds over and over again but only the players are held accountable. And don't think for a second this isn't happening to this day. Justin Williams' body has been telling every NHL GM in the league he can't handle the rigors of NHL play yet Dean once again steps up and trades for him. Now he's being counted on to score 50 points and stay healthy even though his track record says that isn't going to happen. I hate Roenick for not taking pride in the fact that he's an NHL player and has all summer to work out with no other responsibilites but I also put the blame on the Kings GM. More care needs to be put into seeing the players in person before signing or trading for them, case in point Alyn McCauley, Rob Blake (coming off major hip surgery), Dan Cloutier, Martin Straka, Anson Carter, etc.. The Kings seem to gamble more on injury prone players than any organization in hockey. Once Roenick had his face scrambled in the playoffs that should have been the only red flag the Kings needed. Jeremy Roenick fit into Marc Crawford's up tempo system about as well as he fit into some low rise jeans.

Last edited by The Tikkanen: 08-08-2009 at 07:00 PM.
The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If that's the case then whoever decided to get Roenick should also be held accountable. I know if I'm the GM I'd fly and meet the guy before trading for him and see for myself that he was fat and out of shape. Roenick and Hull spent the entire lockout playing golf and drinking and the results prove that. The Kings seem to sign or trade for guys with questionable backgrounds over and over again but only the players are held accountable. And don't think for a second this isn't happening to this day. Justin Williams' body has been telling every NHL GM in the league he can't handle the rigors of NHL play yet Dean once again steps up and trades for him. Now he's being counted on to score 50 points and stay healthy even though his track record says that isn't going to happen. I hate Roenick for not taking pride in the fact that he's an NHL player and has all summer to work out with no other responsibilites but I also put the blame on Dean Lombardi. More care needs to be put into seeing the players in person before signing or trading for them, case in point Alyn McCauley, Rob Blake (coming off major hip surgery), Dan Cloutier, Martin Straka, Anson Carter, etc.. The Kings seem to gamble more on injury prone players than any organization in hockey. Once Roenick had his face scrambled in the playoffs that should have been the only red flag the Kings needed. Jeremy Roenick fit into Marc Crawford's up tempo system about as well as he fit into some low rise jeans.

In all fairness I think that Roenick was brought in for name recognition only (hoping to sell more tickets). I do not think that he was really being count on to produce a ton for the Kings....also Dave got a 3rd round pick in the process.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
In all fairness I think that Roenick was brought in for name recognition only (hoping to sell more tickets). I do not think that he was really being count on to produce a ton for the Kings....also Dave got a 3rd round pick in the process.
I think that pretty much sums it up. I don't think he was brought in as a major contributor, though was expected to put up regular numbers for himself. He had the name and the connection with Robitaille...

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Fripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissgretzky View Post
this is hilarious. roenick is a hands down hall of famer. probably first ballot.
Hands down? No ... that kind of hyperbole is for the kinds of players far better than him. More likely than not? Yah.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 03:35 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
Sucks that we never saw any of that here in LA (except for when he did it TO the Kings).

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 01:10 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

He was on a steady decline in his 3 years in Philly. Add the injury in the playoffs and the year off due to the lockout and you had a guy ready to fail the Kings. Then add in he had been playing in a defense first system and now he is put into Marc Crawford's no defense system and you have a terrible acqusition where the people in charge failed King fans.

Old
08-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If that's the case then whoever decided to get Roenick should also be held accountable. I know if I'm the GM I'd fly and meet the guy before trading for him and see for myself that he was fat and out of shape. Roenick and Hull spent the entire lockout playing golf and drinking and the results prove that. The Kings seem to sign or trade for guys with questionable backgrounds over and over again but only the players are held accountable. And don't think for a second this isn't happening to this day. Justin Williams' body has been telling every NHL GM in the league he can't handle the rigors of NHL play yet Dean once again steps up and trades for him. Now he's being counted on to score 50 points and stay healthy even though his track record says that isn't going to happen. I hate Roenick for not taking pride in the fact that he's an NHL player and has all summer to work out with no other responsibilites but I also put the blame on the Kings GM. More care needs to be put into seeing the players in person before signing or trading for them, case in point Alyn McCauley, Rob Blake (coming off major hip surgery), Dan Cloutier, Martin Straka, Anson Carter, etc.. The Kings seem to gamble more on injury prone players than any organization in hockey. Once Roenick had his face scrambled in the playoffs that should have been the only red flag the Kings needed. Jeremy Roenick fit into Marc Crawford's up tempo system about as well as he fit into some low rise jeans.
Marc Crawford didnt coach Roenick in LA. That was Andy Murray. I may be wrong, but you also appear to be insinuating the Lombardi regime is responsible for the acquisiton of Roenick, which is also incorrect.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface Vimes View Post
Marc Crawford didnt coach Roenick in LA. That was Andy Murray. I may be wrong, but you also appear to be insinuating the Lombardi regime is responsible for the acquisiton of Roenick, which is also incorrect.
"Forget it, he's rolling."

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 03:37 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface Vimes View Post
I changed my original post a couple of days ago from Lombardi to the Kings GM, which would be Taylor. The point remains regardless of who the GM is as the trend continues to this day-even more than in the past which is shocking to me. Handzus, Williams, McCauley, Cloutier, Blake, Stoll, even Smyth has a pretty long list of broken body parts. Jr was a giant bust and should be hated by King fans but at the same time I have to wonder why the GM, scout or somebody didn't get a look at Roenick before pulling the trigger. If he looks more like a fan in the all you can eat section than an NHL player in elite condition then I think there's blame to be spread around like hot, melted butter on a chocolate chip muffin.

Old
08-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Lead Role in a Cage

When I think of the HOF I don't really think of greatness. It's a place where Wayne Gretzky meets Mike Gartner. A little bit of great, a little bit of good. Roenick might get in and I wouldn't be surprised. He might not get in and I wouldn't be surprised either.

Roenick peaked early and had 4 great years Chicago. But after he left Chicago he lost a notch instead of gaining one which also happened in his prime years. From then on he wasn't great by any means. He was an impact player, but not a star 1C in my opinion.

I could care less about his LA year, other then laugh about it. Not a very good fit in time.

He seems like a well liked guy, and gets along with the media if I am not entirely wrong. That goes far and I think he eventually will be inducted. When, I have no clue.

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I'll go out on a limb and say that Roenick has a 60% chance of making the HOF.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Roenick is dead to me.

...and Wallflowers are cool.
One of those is 100% correct.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote