HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Globe and Mail article on the Kings

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-08-2009, 08:25 PM
  #1
Reydin
Registered User
 
Reydin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 657
vCash: 500
Globe and Mail article on the Kings

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1214023/

“I've said this before,” answered Lombardi. “Regardless of our additions, it's not going to matter unless (Anze) Kopitar gets better; unless (Drew) Doughty gets better. (Wayne) Simmons has to get better. The kids within our system, unless those seven or eight key young players come back here in the summer and make themselves better, and then take another step next year, we're just spinning our wheels.

“For all the splash, or who you're adding (as free agents), the most important thing is that the kids get better. Then, it becomes important to add the right people – a Ryan Smyth, a Justin Williams, a character guy like Scuderi – and staying with the theme that we're not going for the sex, we're going for the meat.”

Reydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 08:38 PM
  #2
redcard
Registered User
 
redcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reydin View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1214023/

“I've said this before,” answered Lombardi. “Regardless of our additions, it's not going to matter unless (Anze) Kopitar gets better; unless (Drew) Doughty gets better. (Wayne) Simmons has to get better. The kids within our system, unless those seven or eight key young players come back here in the summer and make themselves better, and then take another step next year, we're just spinning our wheels.

“For all the splash, or who you're adding (as free agents), the most important thing is that the kids get better. Then, it becomes important to add the right people – a Ryan Smyth, a Justin Williams, a character guy like Scuderi – and staying with the theme that we're not going for the sex, we're going for the meat.”
In my experience sex always beats meat.




Take that any way you want.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:44 PM
  #3
Kings man 4 life
Registered User
 
Kings man 4 life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Repub. of CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Think its more like not getting the sexy flashy player but the meat and potatoes player that ganna sustain a team?

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:00 PM
  #4
Maynard
Registered User
 
Maynard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
In my experience sex always beats meat.




Take that any way you want.
There are all kinds of things that beat meat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:50 PM
  #5
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,370
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I really wish Lombardi would just drop that analogy...

__________________

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:51 PM
  #6
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
What an odd expression. Not going for the sex, but going for the meat. I have never heard that before. I get it - as KM4L said it - but why not just say we are not interested in style, but substance.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:53 PM
  #7
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I really wish Lombardi would just drop that analogy...
It's not an analogy, not in the strict sense. It's an expression.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:01 AM
  #8
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,370
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
It's not an analogy, not in the strict sense. It's an expression.
Bah, I am tired, just got back from playing hockey, so for now until I get blood into my brain - it is an analogy... Then it will be an expression.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:17 AM
  #9
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Bah, I am tired, just got back from playing hockey, so for now until I get blood into my brain - it is an analogy... Then it will be an expression.
Remind me to get an elbow up if we ever skate against each other.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:42 AM
  #10
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!
 
hauspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: South Korea
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
Think its more like not getting the sexy flashy player but the meat and potatoes player that ganna sustain a team?
so... I'm guessing we are not going to get Kovalchuk.....

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:47 AM
  #11
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
so... I'm guessing we are not going to get Kovalchuk.....
Kovalchuk is a smoking hot porn star who cooks, cleans, likes to watch you with her hot friends and is about to inherit millions.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:51 AM
  #12
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!
 
hauspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: South Korea
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Kovalchuk is a smoking hot porn star who cooks, cleans, likes to watch you with her hot friends and is about to inherit millions.
my point exactly(sorta..) what I'm saying is ..why can't we get that lucky.

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 01:24 AM
  #13
Canad93
Registered User
 
Canad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
In my experience sex always beats meat.




Take that any way you want.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
There are all kinds of things that beat meat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ahah what an awesome thread.

On a side note, I saw Drew Doughty the other day in his practice gear at Western Fair Arena in London. I was so stoked to have walked by him in the halls.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 03:31 AM
  #14
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14
 
CTKingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,393
vCash: 500
Our gm has the best saying ever. Who says this stuff?!?

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 03:52 AM
  #15
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOmatic View Post
Our gm has the best saying ever. Who says this stuff?!?
Does anyone else suspect that he sometimes says these kinds of things to appear more relateble to the fans?

Does anyone else consider this to be a legitimate possibility? I don't know if it's true, but I've seen stranger things

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 05:34 AM
  #16
Albi
Registered User
 
Albi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lavena - Italy
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
so... I'm guessing we are not going to get Kovalchuk.....
Kovalchuk is definitely sexy meat...so there might be an outside chance Dean will make an effort to grab him.

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:13 AM
  #17
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,370
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Does anyone else suspect that he sometimes says these kinds of things to appear more relateble to the fans?

Does anyone else consider this to be a legitimate possibility? I don't know if it's true, but I've seen stranger things
Maybe, but it is a little condescending as well, because he seems like he is trying to dumb it down in order to relate... At least, that's how I do it with my friends so I should know He has good intentions but it just comes off wrong. He's trying too hard.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 04:33 AM
  #18
Randart
Registered User
 
Randart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carson, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
Hmmm...

Who says Dumb ain't sexy? roops, wait thats right we don't want sexy we want meat? Its kinda a scarry analogy, oh no not again I mean phrasing or was it a quote or comment... er ah I mean observation or ahhh yes expression! In the 60's or early 70's was a great old surf movie the Expression Session!

I love Lombardi-ism's but always be careful of ism's and those that use them...

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.