HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WJC Rosters - United States

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Karlssonlee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehockeyfan88 View Post
The kid can really thread the needle for a defenseman. His outlet pass is second to none. He can also spring the breakaway pass extremely well. (You can tell by his stats).
0-26-26 as a true freshman.
Originally he was going to play 2 years in the USHL and go into Miami in 09, but for whatever reason went in 08.
I would compare him to a more physical Andrei Markov but less goal scoring or maybe a more physical Sergei Zubov with less scoring.
Wow thats high praise for a kid who was picked 100th in 09. If he can come close to Markov or Zubov, i'd be thrilled

Old
07-29-2009, 12:37 PM
hugehockeyfan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
Wow thats high praise for a kid who was picked 100th in 09. If he can come close to Markov or Zubov, i'd be thrilled
Yeah I know, but I was just trying to give a playing style comparison.
It would be pretty far off for him to turn out to be the calibre Zubov or Markov is but I think he has a similar style to them.

Old
08-04-2009, 11:36 AM
MNWild1096

Anyone on here see Sean Lorenz play...what do you think the chances of him playing a role similar to what Teddy Ruth did at this past WJC? He's a big guy that can shutdown the other teams top lines from time to time.

Old
08-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWild1096 View Post
Anyone on here see Sean Lorenz play...what do you think the chances of him playing a role similar to what Teddy Ruth did at this past WJC? He's a big guy that can shutdown the other teams top lines from time to time.
I think that role will end up going to William Wrenn. He's as steady as they come.

Old
08-04-2009, 03:25 PM
FoxMulder91*

Wahl!!!!!!

Will he likely be centering the second line again (I think thats where he played last tournament)? Any chance for him to move up? Perhaps play wing?

Old
08-08-2009, 03:21 AM
William H Bonney

The Evaluation Camp has started in Lake Placid. Team Blue defeated Team White in an intrasquad scrimmage 6-2.

Stats:

1: Morin (Schroeder, Carlson) BLUE
1: Maxwell (Donovan, Ryan) BLUE
1: Schroeder (Morin) BLUE
2: Leddy (Johnson, Samuelsson) BLUE
2: Leddy BLUE
2: Cichy WHITE
2: Morin (Bourque, Schroeder) BLUE
2: Kristo (Ness) WHITE

Recap available here: http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_06&id=266800

Old
08-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
This should be another solid team all around. The defence is excellent, the forwards are solid all around, and the goaltending could be legit...but the major difference is in the coaching. Blias baby! Thank you Jesus! There should be no excuse for why the US has underperformed the past 5 years with all that talent they have year in and out. I have high expectations for this squad, and not just because of the talent, but because of it's new leader.

Goaltending is usually an issue with the US, and this year will be no exception...But I still feel much more confident in Lee and Campbell over what we had last year. Either one can steal the show, and what a show that would be for the draft eligible Campbell.

Here is my US squad.

FORWARDS (13)
Jordan Schroeder
Chris Krieder
Zach Buddish
Mitch Wahl
Drew Shore
Jeremy Morin
Kyle Palmieri
Andrew Yogan
Austin Watson
Phil McRae
A.J Jenks
Danny Kristo
Kenny Ryan

DEFENCE (7)
John Carlson
Jake Gardiner
John Moore
Cam Fowler
Adam Comrie
Seth Helgeson
William Wrenn

GOALTENDING (2)
Mike Lee
Jack Campbell

LINES
1. Kreider, Wahl, Schroeder
2. Palmieri, McRae, Morin
3. Shore, Kristo, Watson
4. Jenks, Yogan, Buddish
Ryan

FORWARDS-
My group is pretty darn big!
Size will not be an issue here. They could go with a monster 4th line of Yogan, Buddish, and Jenks. That would be punishing. Austin Watson is my wild card. If he has the monster year that I feel he will, you better believe his 6'3 185 frame makes this squad, and could even do it in a top 6 role. I didn't want to go with too many 2010 eligible kids, but Yogan, Fowler, Campbell, and Watson are blue chips. Keep an eye out for Morin, he could be the steal of the draft, and really add scoring punch and depth to this team.

The player to keep an eye on the most is....Chris Krieder. If he is as legit as he looks, he should have no problem anchoring a top 6 role on this club despite being a freshmen this year. If he doesnt rise to the occassion, the US will not have the top stud line that we have been blessed with in the past.

A lot of CHL picks here, but hopefully they start taking the best picks possible and McRae, Yogan, Wahl are that. Jenks may be a stretch, but if his foot speed picks up, he is a perfect crash and burn 4th line guy.

DEFENCE-
Excellent all around group. Big, mean, mobile and nasty. Comrie, Helgeson, Fowler and Wrenn are all solidly built, and not afraid to lower the boom. Moore and Gardiner are the slick puck movers that this team covets, and John Carlson is the big stud shot from the point. I really like what this group can offer all around.

GOALTENDING-
It is Mike Lee's show, but if he falters, Jack Campbell is the right choice to fill the void. This kid is the best thing we have had in awhile, and I honestly hope he gets that chance to shine. It is a lot to ask out of such a young kid, but I have confidence in his all world skill as well as Mike's. He is the best 2010 draft eligible goalie in the world, lets see what he can do on the big stage.

CAPTAIN
Mitch Wahl

ALTERNATE CAPTAINS
Jordan Schroeder
Drew Shore

I think it will be way too much to ask from Cam Fowler to be either the Captain or Alternate Captain. Mitch Wahl fits the bill as a perfect C for this squad. His work ethic, leadership, and team play easily qualifies him for either the C or A.

Drew Shore is an international tournament warrior, and imo he was born to be a leader on this squad. Schroeder has the experience of previous tournaments, so you have to give him at least an A for that alone.
I guess you forgot that Derek Stepan is a US player or something.

There's probably a 10% chance he doesn't make the team.

Old
08-08-2009, 01:07 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
The Evaluation Camp has started in Lake Placid. Team Blue defeated Team White in an intrasquad scrimmage 6-2.

Stats:

1: Morin (Schroeder, Carlson) BLUE
1: Maxwell (Donovan, Ryan) BLUE
1: Schroeder (Morin) BLUE
2: Leddy (Johnson, Samuelsson) BLUE
2: Leddy BLUE
2: Cichy WHITE
2: Morin (Bourque, Schroeder) BLUE
2: Kristo (Ness) WHITE

Recap available here: http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_06&id=266800
Anyone have seen the game? How Donavan and Ness looked so far? How good are their chance to make the team?

Old
08-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I guess you forgot that Derek Stepan is a US player or something.

There's probably a 10% chance he doesn't make the team.
Why? Because he was drafted by the Rangers and you're a Ranger fan? He isn't as close to a lock as you'd like to believe or have everyone else believe.

Old
08-08-2009, 06:08 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Why? Because he was drafted by the Rangers and you're a Ranger fan? He isn't as close to a lock as you'd like to believe or have everyone else believe.
I think he has a very good shot almost a lock on this team.

Old
08-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
I think he has a very good shot almost a lock on this team.
Why? You two are part of the problem with fans' view of how the selection process works. The only locks upfront are Schroeder, Wahl, Morin, Budish, Palmieri, and McRae. These guys are the top talents and sure-bets. Hell, even the top talents have been left off in the past for one reason or another. All bets are off with everyone else. Even returnees like Johnson and Kristo who really didn't have much of an impact last year aren't locks. The coaching staff will put together a team with a certain identity and they're going to look for chemistry between players and kids that are smart and can adapt to new roles quickly. D-Step's a smart kid can I think he can do that, but he's no lock.

I'm not dissing him by any means because I was one of the first to start mentioning him in these threads at the beginning of the year, but to call him a lock is a misconstruction of the selection process.

Old
08-09-2009, 12:00 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Why? You two are part of the problem with fans' view of how the selection process works. The only locks upfront are Schroeder, Wahl, Morin, Budish, Palmieri, and McRae. These guys are the top talents and sure-bets. Hell, even the top talents have been left off in the past for one reason or another. All bets are off with everyone else. Even returnees like Johnson and Kristo who really didn't have much of an impact last year aren't locks. The coaching staff will put together a team with a certain identity and they're going to look for chemistry between players and kids that are smart and can adapt to new roles quickly. D-Step's a smart kid can I think he can do that, but he's no lock.

I'm not dissing him by any means because I was one of the first to start mentioning him in these threads at the beginning of the year, but to call him a lock is a misconstruction of the selection process.
What has Budish done to consider himself a lock?

It's very easy to put the lock status on the rest of those guys because what they are a 1st round pick or they are a star player.

I feel Stepan had a very good freshman season to put himself on the U-20 team. I want to say he was top 5 in scoring for true freshman in the Nation. He had only three minor penalties all season. Will he be a primary scoring threat for this team, probably not but a good secondary option Sure could things change if he has a sophomore slump.

Last edited by SPORTSMANIAC: 08-09-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old
08-09-2009, 12:18 AM
William H Bonney

Scrimmage # 2 is in the books for Team USA with the White team defeating the Blue 2-1:

1: Czarnik (Kreider) WHITE
3: Leddy (Schroeder) BLUE
3: Wahl (Palmieri, Wideman) WHITE

Sounds as if Mike Lee continued his dominant ways making 33 saves for Team White. He's only allowed 2 goals so far in the first two games.

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_06&id=266902

Old
08-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
What an ignorant ass post.

I don't consider Kreider or Bourque locks (on the contrary, I think that neither will make the team) at all and they are Rangers picks.

Stepan had a great freshman year on a mediocre Wisconsin team. He has already proven to be a seriously dynamic player who can both score and pass.

He was 2nd in scoring on Wisconsin. As a freshman. He's already proved a lot as a young player.

Obviously you've never watched the kid or you wouldn't have made such a stupid post.

Old
08-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Chrisd

judging by Leddy's first two games, maybe the Wild knew what they were doing by taking the hometown boy.

I will be glad if he can be another Goligoski, i'd consider that a success, as I'm very high on Goli, both not the biggest guys, but great skaters and puck movers.

Old
08-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:

I don't consider Kreider or Bourque locks (on the contrary, I think that neither will make the team) at all and they are Rangers picks.

Stepan had a great freshman year on a mediocre Wisconsin team. He has already proven to be a seriously dynamic player who can both score and pass.

He was 2nd in scoring on Wisconsin. As a freshman. He's already proved a lot as a young player.

Obviously you've never watched the kid or you wouldn't have made such a stupid post.
You're entitled to your opnion, but I wouldn't presume Konk doesn't know these players. He gets to see much more than you or I ever will.

Old
08-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Konk

Quote:
What has Budish done to consider himself a lock?
Budish can play any role and is effective either at center or on right wing. He's a big body who can dominate down low with his size and strength. It's obviously not about experience with him and as I said, even star players can be left off -- so he's not necessarily a lock either.
Quote:
It's very easy to put the lock status on the rest of those guys because what they are a 1st round pick or they are a star player.
No ****. That's the point. When it comes to the WJC teams the only locks are the top players, especially in a year like this where the rest of the team is almost interchangible, there are no more locks beyond the top players.
Quote:
I feel Stepan had a very good freshman season to put himself on the U-20 team. I want to say he was top 5 in scoring for true freshman in the Nation. He had only three minor penalties all season. Will he be a primary scoring threat for this team, probably not but a good secondary option Sure could things change if he has a sophomore slump.
Last year was a very weak class of freshmen forwards, so that's not saying a whole lot.

I do agree he may be a good secondary scoring option, but again, he has a lot of competition. If you say for example, that only Schroeder, Wahl, Morin, McRae, and Palmieri are locks (I'll give you Budish), that's already five of the top six. Then you have Kreider, Budish, Yogan, Stepan, Shore, Cichy, and Bourque all competing for secondary spots. Stepan is a little more well-rounded than a few of those guys, but not as offensive talented as some others. I certainly wouldn't place him above Bourque, for example. Especially when you consider Bourque is an NTDP alum.

Old
08-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Scrimmage # 2 is in the books for Team USA with the White team defeating the Blue 2-1:

1: Czarnik (Kreider) WHITE
3: Leddy (Schroeder) BLUE
3: Wahl (Palmieri, Wideman) WHITE

Sounds as if Mike Lee continued his dominant ways making 33 saves for Team White. He's only allowed 2 goals so far in the first two games.

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_06&id=266902
IMO, the Force combo of Lee/Blais is going to be the biggest differance maker for the U.S. this year.

Old
08-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
You're entitled to your opnion, but I wouldn't presume Konk doesn't know these players. He gets to see much more than you or I ever will.
I could care less if he does or not. He certainly doesn't come across as someone who does.

Old
08-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't place him above Bourque, for example. Especially when you consider Bourque is an NTDP alum.
I'm sorry, but if they take Bourque over Stepan, it just shows that the US team is built on nothing more than politics. It would be an absolutely retarded decision.

I thought we were finally past politicized teams? At least that's what seemed to be coming out of the talking heads putting the teams together.

Old
08-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Konk

Quote:
Hit a nerve, huh?
Quote:
Goes to show how much you know then, because Bourque has a really good shot to make the team and I'd put my money on him over Stepan.
Quote:
You like to throw the term "great" around, I suppose. He had a good freshman campaign, but not exactly great. He scored 9 goals, that's pretty good but that doesn't prove he's a seriously dynamic goal scorer. He has solid overall ability as a scorer and is a good all-around player. But he's not "dynamic."
Quote:
Yeah, Geoffrion, Mitchell, and Grotting are really difficult to outscore. He did well, don't get me wrong, but consider Wisconsin's weak forward depth before you make him out to be Joe Pavelski.
Quote:
Ohhh please, I saw more of him before you and your Ranger fan buddies Googled his name. I never said he was terrible or wouldn't make the team. You're getting defensive over my argument against calling him a lock -- he's simply not a lock. Not a lot of players are, especially not this year. Get over it.

Old
08-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Konk

Quote:
I'm sorry, but if they take Bourque over Stepan, it just shows that the US team is built on nothing more than politics. It would be an absolutely retarded decision.

I thought we were finally past politicized teams? At least that's what seemed to be coming out of the talking heads putting the teams together.
You haven't watched Bourque then. He has some of the better offensive skills of this bunch and he's a lot more "dynamic" than your boy Stepan. Speed to burn, underrated all-around ability, and offensive skills similar to his brother.

Not to mention he's already familiar with the US system and they're incredibly familiar with him. Stepan isn't exactly from a remote place, they've gotten to know him well from Shattucks and Wisconsin, but it's not political -- it's who the coaches feel more comfortable with and Ryan is a coaches dream.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
You haven't watched Bourque then. He has some of the better offensive skills of this bunch and he's a lot more "dynamic" than your boy Stepan. Speed to burn, underrated all-around ability, and offensive skills similar to his brother.

Not to mention he's already familiar with the US system and they're incredibly familiar with him. Stepan isn't exactly from a remote place, they've gotten to know him well from Shattucks and Wisconsin, but it's not political -- it's who the coaches feel more comfortable with and Ryan is a coaches dream.
I've seen enough of Bourque to know that he's not as good as Stepan is right now. Stepan's already proved a lot as a freshman in the NCAA. I like Bourque as a prospect and I was very happy we picked him.

But Stepan is more well rounded and more ready for the big time than Bourque is, IMHO.

Hey, I'll take both of 'em on the team. I would just be very upset if they choose to take Bourque over Stepan. I would almost guarantee it would be because he was an alum, also, and not skill and readiness.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Ohhh please, I saw more of him before you and your Ranger fan buddies Googled his name. I never said he was terrible or wouldn't make the team. You're getting defensive over my argument against calling him a lock -- he's simply not a lock. Not a lot of players are, especially not this year. Get over it.
Riiiiiight. All I did was Google him.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:12 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
What are the chances that both Kenny Ryan and Jerry D'Amigo make the US WJC team ?

Closed Thread