HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Mr. Claude Giroux

Old
08-07-2009, 01:11 PM
kicksave27

vCash: 500
giroux combines briere's skill set with richard's heart, and almost forsberg like vision. He is just a sponge, he learned to be responsible and play physical, and he probably has another level we haven't seen yet. I wouldn't play him top line just yet, let him develop at his own pace. But he's going to just take over games at times this year.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:34 PM
phlocky

I think what I love the most about this kid is his drive and determination. At every level he's been questioned and told he's not quite good enough and he's made it his mission to prove them all wrong. This kid has something special inside of him and it's not just heart. He's always been the underdog but always come out besting them all. THAT'S character (on the ice that is, off the ice I have no idea).

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 05:54 PM
DjsIzzy

Send a message via AIM to DjsIzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I think what I love the most about this kid is his drive and determination. At every level he's been questioned and told he's not quite good enough and he's made it his mission to prove them all wrong. This kid has something special inside of him and it's not just heart. He's always been the underdog but always come out besting them all. THAT'S character (on the ice that is, off the ice I have no idea).
and thats a big part of the reason why we all love him here so much. Everyone loves an underdog...but everyone loves an underdog that proves all naysayers wrong on a consistent even more.

DjsIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:34 PM
mantis toboggan

Who would've thought that Giroux would become the player that he is today. Taken low in the 1st round, Bob Clarke forgetting his name, not making the team at the begining of last year, i mean, who would've thought?

mantis toboggan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 07:21 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogenIsTheMan View Post
Who would've thought that Giroux would become the player that he is today. Taken low in the 1st round, Bob Clarke forgetting his name, not making the team at the begining of last year, i mean, who would've thought?

You do realize he went undrafted in juniors right??? He went from junior walk-on, to late NHL 1st rnd pick, to budding super-star in the NHL. THAT'S the trype of character I'm talking about.

Old
08-07-2009, 08:05 PM
mantis toboggan

Quote:
You do realize he went undrafted in juniors right??? He went from junior walk-on, to late NHL 1st rnd pick, to budding super-star in the NHL. THAT'S the trype of character I'm talking about.
No i didn't know that. That just makes his story more amazing

Old
08-07-2009, 08:30 PM
phlocky

Quote:
No i didn't know that. That just makes his story more amazing
Yup.

And IIRC he was cut from the Team Canada team when he was 18 because he wasn't good enough defensively. He went out and made himself one of the best 2-way forwards in the Q the next year. He played on his teams PP and PK and was praised by his coach for his hard work and dedication.

He's been doubted his entire life by all the supposed "experts". He might not know what to do if he were to now be voted as an all-star and get the acknowledgement as one of the best players in the league. He may just spontaneously combust, lol.

Old
08-07-2009, 08:44 PM
mercury

Quote:

That's why he played in the Q. He went undrafted in the O.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 08:46 PM
mantis toboggan

Quote:
Yup.

And IIRC he was cut from the Team Canada team when he was 18 because he wasn't good enough defensively. He went out and made himself one of the best 2-way forwards in the Q the next year. He played on his teams PP and PK and was praised by his coach for his hard work and dedication.

He's been doubted his entire life by all the supposed "experts". He might not know what to do if he were to now be voted as an all-star and get the acknowledgement as one of the best players in the league. He may just spontaneously combust, lol.
Haha, i hope that doesn't happen. I can't wait to see him in about 5 years. Can anyone say Superstar?

Old
08-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Anyone who watched him in junior, most likely. You'd have to be pretty daft to not see his potential. We're very fortunate to have him.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 12:56 AM
BerubeBox*

If Forsberg was at one time Anderson Silva, Giroux now = Lyoto Machida.

*strongly resisting the urge to say briere = gsp*
it would really tick off the francophones though

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 05:55 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Kinda reminds you of st louis from tampa doesn't it . He even went undrafted in the NHL

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 12:05 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Claude Giroux is a superstar in the making and his story is something off the chart. From Hearst, Ontario, he was overlooked by the OHL because he was too small. He went to a try out with the Gatineau Olympiques as a walk on. Walk ons are frowned upon because in most cases, it usually means they aren't talented enough to get drafted or even make the team and they're considered a wasted spot. Giroux blew everyone away at the practice.

During Giroux's draft year, he was initially rated the 217th best player for the upcoming draft. That was to start the year. By mid year, Giroux jumped an incredible 120+ places to become the 90th best player in his draft year. The engine just kept rolling and rolling. From there, scouts came to see the Olympiques almost nightly and Giroux's stock continued to grow and grow. By the time the end rankings came out, Giroux made it up to the 34th best player available, an incredible jump of 180 places.

By the time the draft came around, the word was that Giroux was being viewed anywhere from 15 to 25. He made that much of an impression in his single season in the QMJHL. When the Flyers came up to draft, it was down to three players they were looking at - Bobby Sanguinetti, Claude Giroux, and Simeon Varlemov. Sanguinetti had just been taken by the Rangers and the belief amongst the Flyers brass was that Varlemov will fall to the second round. They took Giroux.

As previously mentioned, he jumped 180 places from his initial draft ranking to final draft ranking. I checked on the Central Scouting Website to see if any other player had made that kind of jump in their draft year and wasn't able to find anything like that. It was considered an absolutely remarkable feat. To me, that's when I knew Giroux was going to be star and have followed his career closely ever since.

Honestly, this might be the most skilled Flyers player this franchise has ever seen. And what's scarier is that he's just going to get better and better. Honestly, there isn't one Flyers player on the team who has the pure skill that Giroux does. If you want an honest comparison on what his upside might be - think of a more offensively skilled version of Peter Forsberg and you've got Giroux.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Unreal skillset along with insane work ethics. I truly believe in this kid.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 12:23 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Honestly, this might be the most skilled Flyers player this franchise has ever seen. And what's scarier is that he's just going to get better and better. Honestly, there isn't one Flyers player on the team who has the pure skill that Giroux does. If you want an honest comparison on what his upside might be - think of a more offensively skilled version of Peter Forsberg and you've got Giroux.
That may be a really wild comparison, but it sure does give me chills thinking about it. I agree that this kid is something else, something else we have yet to see. I hope your assumption comes true, wholeheartedly.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Semin

Flyers are lucky to have him. Watching him he's just such a good player.

P.S If Briere is healthy. And gets top 6 minutes, he will definitely have 70-80 points. Hopefully hes healthy for your sake.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 01:24 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Claude Giroux is a superstar in the making and his story is something off the chart. From Hearst, Ontario, he was overlooked by the OHL because he was too small. He went to a try out with the Gatineau Olympiques as a walk on. Walk ons are frowned upon because in most cases, it usually means they aren't talented enough to get drafted or even make the team and they're considered a wasted spot. Giroux blew everyone away at the practice.

During Giroux's draft year, he was initially rated the 217th best player for the upcoming draft. That was to start the year. By mid year, Giroux jumped an incredible 120+ places to become the 90th best player in his draft year. The engine just kept rolling and rolling. From there, scouts came to see the Olympiques almost nightly and Giroux's stock continued to grow and grow. By the time the end rankings came out, Giroux made it up to the 34th best player available, an incredible jump of 180 places.

By the time the draft came around, the word was that Giroux was being viewed anywhere from 15 to 25. He made that much of an impression in his single season in the QMJHL. When the Flyers came up to draft, it was down to three players they were looking at - Bobby Sanguinetti, Claude Giroux, and Simeon Varlemov. Sanguinetti had just been taken by the Rangers and the belief amongst the Flyers brass was that Varlemov will fall to the second round. They took Giroux.

As previously mentioned, he jumped 180 places from his initial draft ranking to final draft ranking. I checked on the Central Scouting Website to see if any other player had made that kind of jump in their draft year and wasn't able to find anything like that. It was considered an absolutely remarkable feat. To me, that's when I knew Giroux was going to be star and have followed his career closely ever since.

A more offensively skilled version of Peter Forsberg? That's asking for too much.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
In fairness, he was playing midget in Hearst, which is way up in northern Ontario near the Quebec border. He didn't get drafted because he had no exposure and he was something like 5'4" 120 pounds at the time. He grew a bit and, having been passed over by the OHL, went to camp in Hull/Gatineau as a walk on for the Q league and made the team.

A good story, but it's not like the OHL missed out on anyone they'd heard of. You can't tell which tiny kids have hearts of lions until you see them play.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 02:41 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
In fairness, he was playing midget in Hearst, which is way up in northern Ontario near the Quebec border. He didn't get drafted because he had no exposure and he was something like 5'4" 120 pounds at the time. He grew a bit and, having been passed over by the OHL, went to camp in Hull/Gatineau as a walk on for the Q league and made the team.

A good story, but it's not like the OHL missed out on anyone they'd heard of. You can't tell which tiny kids have hearts of lions until you see them play.
Something I've always wondered about this part of his story is why Gatineau? I know there aren't any teams anywhere near Hearst, but Rouyn-Noranda and Val d'Or would have been a little bit closer to home, no? It just seems odd to me that he'd go so far away when there are a few teams closer to home.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 02:50 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Something I've always wondered about this part of his story is why Gatineau? I know there aren't any teams anywhere near Hearst, but Rouyn-Noranda and Val d'Or would have been a little bit closer to home, no? It just seems odd to me that he'd go so far away when there are a few teams closer to home.
I think that Gatineau was the first or only team to even agree to give him a tryout as a walk on. Just because you want to be a walk on doesn't mean that you CAN walk on, tey have to agree to giveyo a try-out.

Old
08-08-2009, 03:45 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
If Forsberg was at one time Anderson Silva, Giroux now = Lyoto Machida.

*strongly resisting the urge to say briere = gsp*
it would really tick off the francophones though
That comparison doesn't really work when you consider that Giroux is exciting to watch.

And, if Briere comes back with an awesome season, the GSP comparison would work just fine.

TheSkatingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 03:53 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Anyone who watched him in junior, most likely. You'd have to be pretty daft to not see his potential. We're very fortunate to have him.
Yeah He always looked dominating to me. Hope he's a career flyer

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:34 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
A more offensively skilled version of Peter Forsberg? That's asking for too much.
I don't think so. He might never be the defensive player that Peter is, but offensively, he's just as capable. He's probably got better vision than Peter and now that he's acclimated with the style of game in the NHL, there's no reason why he won't be a multiple 100+ point scorer in the league. Like I said, he has more pure and natural talent than any other forward on the team and always plays with the under dog mentality. I'll go one step further and say that I won't surprise me if we see Giroux up with Crosby and Malkin as league scoring leaders. He's that good.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:48 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
I don't think so. He might never be the defensive player that Peter is, but offensively, he's just as capable. He's probably got better vision than Peter and now that he's acclimated with the style of game in the NHL, there's no reason why he won't be a multiple 100+ point scorer in the league. Like I said, he has more pure and natural talent than any other forward on the team and always plays with the under dog mentality. I'll go one step further and say that I won't surprise me if we see Giroux up with Crosby and Malkin as league scoring leaders. He's that good.
1. Let's not get carried away quite yet....half a season in the NHL shouldn't have you saying that just yet. I think he has vision that is comparable to Foppa, but better than him? I'm not ready to think that.

2. I'm just stunned. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just stunned you're calling that.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Dear god, we have seen half a season of giroux and a 6 game playoff series. Now we are comparing him to the forsberg who has 2 stanley cup rings and is one of the greatest playoffs performers of all time. Not to mention probably one of the most talented players of all time.

Jesus how teams rate their young prospects is beyond farsical

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote