HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumours of a Montreal-Edmonton trade

Old
08-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
If Montreal is lookng to tie up 4.25M for 3 years on an underachieving forward, they would be smarter to sign Zherdev as a UFA for this money and deal Hamrlik for picks just to clear the capspace. I have more confidence in Zherdev improving then I do in Penner.
Given the choice, I'd rather have Penner because he brings something we're lacking on our top six: Size.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:26 AM
HABitual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Given the choice, I'd rather have Penner because he brings something we're lacking on our top six: Size.
Not sure Penner could crack our top 6 in the first place. Size is not the only thing that means someone should play in the top 6, Carbonneau proved that often enough with his 4th liners on the top lines line-ups. Edmonton are also small and not physical at forward, if they are willing to lose Penner, it is obvious he can't handle this role or they would keep him.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Not sure Penner could crack our top 6 in the first place. Size is not the only thing that means someone should play in the top 6, Carbonneau proved that often enough with his 4th liners on the top lines line-ups. Edmonton are also small and not physical at forward, if they are willing to lose Penner, it is obvious he can't handle this role or they would keep him.
We have a spot open on our top six as it stands and right now, it seems to be between Latendresse, Pacioretty or Sergei Kostitsyn. At this stage in their career, Penner is an improvement over all 3 of them. Living out west, I do get to see him play and he's not as bad as some make him out to be. Again, he's a high risk, high potential player. He could flop but if he finds his game, he can be a dominant player for years. Foot speed aside, he reminds me a lot of John Leclair.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanio123 View Post
Sources are saying the deal actually looks like this:

To MTL: Smid, Penner
To EDM: Hamrlik

Even if the 'sources' are brutal, why does Edmonton do this? Do the Oilers really need another dman making that much coin? Not gonna happen.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:24 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

As more and more people wise up to Ek's game of manufacturing rumours for page hits$$ and stop going to his site, he's really pushing back with the big fanbase team rumours isn't he. Isn't this the 3rd "big Habs rumor" in the last week or so?

Gainey and Ek must be BFFs and talk on the phone every night for him to get all this inside info.

It goes without saying that the Penner + Smid for Hammer trade is nuts from an Edm POV. That would leave us with three $5.5M Ds, one $4M D, one $3M D and a $2.7M Staios. 26M for a D is crazy.

Not that we couldn't use a D like Hammer. I just don't think we can squeeze him in cap wise, and still ice a competitive forward lineup.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:30 PM
le_sean

Quote:
If Montreal is lookng to tie up 4.25M for 3 years on an underachieving forward, they would be smarter to sign Zherdev as a UFA for this money and deal Hamrlik for picks just to clear the capspace. I have more confidence in Zherdev improving then I do in Penner.
I actually think Penner would be the perfect compliment with Gomez and Gionta, but his contract is too expensive.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:31 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I actually think Penner would be the perfect compliment with Gomez and Gionta, but his contract is too expensive.
pacioretty is a better fit and will be a better player than penner

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
In a few years, maybe. Not now though.

Old
08-09-2009, 12:34 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
Pacioretty is 20 years old and is not ready for top line duty. Penner is a good two-way player and is bigger than Pacioretty. He also played on the top line of a Stanley Cup championship team.

The Habs are a better team with Penner, Smid and Pacioretty than they are with Hamrlik and Pacioretty.

When Penner's contract is up, MaxPac will probably be ready for 1st line duties.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:35 PM
scfronty

Another rumour drawn out of a hat.

One of these days Eklund is going to slip up and post a trade between 2 players of the same team.

scfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Someone's desperate for hits and it's not Ichiro...
That was a RIP on Mr. Suzuki

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

O'bryne for Schremp and a pick.

Edmonton needs more big, stay at home d. He'd be good as a 7th d, maybe 6th with your most experienced one. Schremp hasn't really been given a chance and might need a change of scenary. There's a top 6 spot open on the habs. He could battle Sergei, Pacioretty and D'agostini for it. A pick is... a pick.

That's quite possibly the only thing I could see being done between these two teams.

Unless Gainey has gone mad and he wants Horcoff...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
This trade is bogus because how dose Edmonton fit in plekanec when there isn't a spot for the guy

Current lineup
Penner-Horc-Hemmer
Nilsson-Gagner-Sully
Moreau-Cogliano-Pisani
Jacques-Pouliot-Stortini
You've got room.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote