HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Team USA and Canada WJC Evaluation Camps & Teubert's Hit on Caron

Old
08-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Team USA and Canada WJC Evaluation Camps & Teubert's Hit on Caron

http://www.usahockey.com//Template_U...1_06&ID=218662
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=11922

The Kings have one player, Robbie Czarnik, at the US evaluation camp. Czarnik has one goal through two games.

The Kings have 4 players at the Canadian camp: Colten Teubert, Brayden Schenn, Martin Jones, and Brandon Kozun. In Canada's lone scrimmage so far, Jones stopped 16 of 18 shots. None of the skaters tallied a point, but Teubert laid out Caron with an open ice hit that sent Caron to the hospital.

http://watch.tsn.ca/international-ho...593#clip201593

"It sucks for him . . ." Gotta love Teubert's attitude.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Omni Owl

Fear The Toob.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
That was a little harsh. I love Teubert and I don't think he should muzzle himself in a camp, especially an evaluation camp, but some part of me thinks it was over the top a little - that and his words at the end could have been chosen better...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
That was a little harsh. I love Teubert and I don't think he should muzzle himself in a camp, especially an evaluation camp, but some part of me thinks it was over the top a little - that and his words at the end could have been chosen better...
You don't happen to like popcorn, do you?

To each his own. Teubert's main asset is his physical game, and I don't want to see him holding back at a tryout scrimmage or sounding remorseful for being physical. If this is a team scrimmage, then I can see holding back a bit on blindside open ice hits. But that is a very different thing than a team tryout scrimmage. I don't know if you played hockey growing up but the tryout scrimmages I went to growing up were always very physical with players trying to catch the coaches' attention. If you had a chance to level someone with an open ice hit, you did it.

For those who haven't seen or read it, Teubert's (combined) quote from the video and TSN link:

"It's unfortunate but it's part of the game, right. So, I'm just doing my job, and that's what I do. So it sucks for him, but hopefully he has a quick recovery. We're all trying to make the team and it's an opportunity for me to show what I've got too. No spots are secure, that's how I have to play and it just happened."

Old
08-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
You don't happen to like popcorn, do you?

To each his own. Teubert's main asset is his physical game, and I don't want to see him holding back at a tryout scrimmage or sounding remorseful for being physical. If this is a team scrimmage, then I can see holding a bit back on blindside open ice hits. But that is a very different thing than a team tryout scrimmage. I don't know if you played hockey growing up but the tryout scrimmages I went to growing up were always very physical with players trying to catch the coaches' attention. If you had a chance to level someone with an open ice hit, you did it.

For those who haven't seen or read it, Teubert's quote from the video and TSN link:

"It's unfortunate but it's part of the game, right. So, I'm just doing my job, and that's what I do. So it sucks for him, but hopefully he has a quick recovery. We're all trying to make the team and it's an opportunity for me to show what I've got too. No spots are secure, that's how I have to play and it just happened."
I agree, but I am still uneasy about this hit and not really happy with him here. I don't want him holding back because it is an evaluation camp and he needs to show his stuff, but at the same time, it is not like he is taking out Schroeder on Team USA here, he is taking out a good player on his own team, which happens, but the thing that gets me the most is his reaction in that interview. He certainly doesn't come off as the good guy... It is an unfortunate situation, but I just wish he could have handled it better without a smirk...

Old
08-09-2009, 12:27 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
I agree, but I am still uneasy about this hit and not really happy with him here. I don't want him holding back because it is an evaluation camp and he needs to show his stuff, but at the same time, it is not like he is taking out Schroeder on Team USA here, he is taking out a good player on his own team, which happens, but the thing that gets me the most is his reaction in that interview. He certainly doesn't come off as the good guy... It is an unfortunate situation, but I just wish he could have handled it better without a smirk...
Not saying I agree or disagree but Teubert was never drafted nor seen as "the good guy." It was always quite the contrary and that is one of the things that Lombardi liked about him. He is supposed to become one of those criminals thats Lombardi says every team needs. I've yet to ever once even get the "ok guy" thought from Teubert yet alone "good guy." The guys game is about being the most punishing and ruthless guy on the ice, I can understand people not likeing that but that is his game.

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
First, I don't see a smirk. I see a guy that's fairly remorseless (and that's how he should be IMO).

Second, Caron's not on his team. He could be in the future, but he currently is not a teammate of Teubert.

Old
08-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Oh, I understand his game alright. I think the kid is built for eliminating people in the NHL and with his mindset, he is going to be very good at it. I am just uneasy about this situation, I think he made a good decision to hit there, just didn't like the "sucks for him" interview.

Old
08-09-2009, 02:43 PM
theone17

Send a message via AIM to theone17
keep your head up kid!

theone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 02:52 PM
tantrum4*

Super-clean gorgeous hit. Atta boy Colton. So he broke his collar bone, that stuff happens in hockey. He'll be back in time for main camp anyway and that's all that matters. Now go break someone else!!!

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 03:07 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Super-clean gorgeous hit. Atta boy Colton. So he broke his collar bone, that stuff happens in hockey. He'll be back in time for main camp anyway and that's all that matters. Now go break someone else!!!
Are really cheering for your prospect to hurt other players? Sickening.

It was a great hit and I sure as hell hope its something that Jordan learns from but god damn this post makes me want to throw up.

LordLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Love the toughness. . not sure it's in the right place though. I understand no spots are secure on Team Canada but leveling someone who might be on your own team. . that's a tough one. . . but what do I know. . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Well after letting it sink in, I am fine with the hit now, it was clean, and it was a good decision to go for the hard hit there. I just didn't like the "sucks for him" aspect of the interview because it can be misinterpreted, but in the end, this is a teenager we are talking about here... I look forward to seeing many more of those hits in the future - hopefully not against our prospects

Old
08-09-2009, 06:34 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucic View Post
Are really cheering for your prospect to hurt other players? Sickening.

It was a great hit and I sure as hell hope its something that Jordan learns from but god damn this post makes me want to throw up.
oh relax...you've obviously never been involved in any kind of camp where you're competing for a spot, let alone a spot on Team Canada. Of course I don't want him to INTENTIONALLY injure someone but if it's a clean, hard hit and someone gets hurt, so be it...

Old
08-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Absolutely nothing wrong with that hit. Unfortunate he got hurt, but that's the game.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 07:14 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:
oh relax...you've obviously never been involved in any kind of camp where you're competing for a spot, let alone a spot on Team Canada. Of course I don't want him to INTENTIONALLY injure someone but if it's a clean, hard hit and someone gets hurt, so be it...
I haven't *****ed about the hit at all. I *****ed about the pass from Kassian (tool) leaving his teammate out to ****ing dry.

But what is sickening is people like you saying stuff like "So he broke his collar bone, that stuff happens in hockey. He'll be back in time for main camp anyway and that's all that matters." Then following that up with "Now go break someone else!!!"

Why can't you root for your guy to lay big hits WITHOUT injuring anyone? Completely foolish.

Old
08-09-2009, 07:37 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
That's basically how I feel whenever I light anybody up in Lacrosse... as an older vet, I have to teach the kids to keep their heads up, even if they are much smaller than me.

Teubert can be criticized for what he said, but it indicates the nature of his game. I will enjoy seeing Teubert being Gauthier on steroids (hopefully with a better defensive game/an existent offensive game) even if he never makes it past the 3rd pairing.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 07:49 PM
baxterbarton

I'm fine with the hit it was a little too hard, but the interview I'm not liking.

baxterbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 07:59 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with that hit. Unfortunate he got hurt, but that's the game.
This.

LOVE Tube Steak's attitude.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:31 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
I haven't *****ed about the hit at all. I *****ed about the pass from Kassian (tool) leaving his teammate out to ****ing dry.

But what is sickening is people like you saying stuff like "So he broke his collar bone, that stuff happens in hockey. He'll be back in time for main camp anyway and that's all that matters." Then following that up with "Now go break someone else!!!"

Why can't you root for your guy to lay big hits WITHOUT injuring anyone? Completely foolish.
Because the BIGGER THE HIT, THE MORE LIKELY SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET HURT!!!!...Think about it Boston boy...

Old
08-09-2009, 10:31 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxterbarton View Post
I'm fine with the hit it was a little too hard, but the interview I'm not liking.
Best avatar ever!!!

Old
08-10-2009, 12:27 AM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Because the BIGGER THE HIT, THE MORE LIKELY SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET HURT!!!!...Think about it Boston boy...
Your point? I would love for Milan Lucic to hit players through the glass EVERY SINGLE GAME. But I don't say "Go Hurt some more players by hitting them through the glass"

I don't want anyone on my team to injure anyone on the other team even if it is a rival. If would be throughly disappointed if a Bruin intentionally went out to try to injury someone (a.la Marty McSorely). And I certain will never EVER cheer on any injuries.

Old
08-10-2009, 12:53 AM
riznat

Quote:
Your point? I would love for Milan Lucic to hit players through the glass EVERY SINGLE GAME. But I don't say "Go Hurt some more players by hitting them through the glass"

I don't want anyone on my team to injure anyone on the other team even if it is a rival. If would be throughly disappointed if a Bruin intentionally went out to try to injury someone (a.la Marty McSorely). And I certain will never EVER cheer on any injuries.
good for you!!! like some kind of new age saint! your heart is so caring and warm

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 02:11 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:

If I counts for anything I'm in full agreement. I LOVE huge hits and loved that Lucic hit, how anyone can want an injury to a player is beyond messed up. Going to get *****ed for this but going to be interesting watching what some of these fans say when Kopitar/Doughty get nailed by a clean hit and are seriously injured. Then all of a sudden it will be what ********, completely dirty hit, guy went with intent to injure and should be suspended. Only person who deserves to be injured if anyone is the idiots dumb enough to think its smart and cool to do so upon others.

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:25 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Love the toughness. . not sure it's in the right place though. I understand no spots are secure on Team Canada but leveling someone who might be on your own team. . that's a tough one. . . but what do I know. . .
c'mon man. it's what the kid does, that's the part of his game that stands out. if he doesn't do it, then he may be critisized by his coaches and potentially not make the team. you have to use every asset you got, he was just leaving his mark (literally).

as for the comment part telos, i think it needs to be read in context.

Quote:
So it sucks for him, but hopefully he has a quick recovery.
so by just taking the second part of his statement out you're not giving him enough credit. it's very reminiscent of how the media makes up stories out of nothing. and like you said, he's a fricken teenager. the PC remarks will come but hopefully not too much.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote