HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Lace Bite?

Old
10-01-2007, 12:22 AM
lotus

vCash: 500
Lace Bite?

I've never actually used the term but I'm assuming this is what it is. I've had a new pair of inline skates for a little over 3 months now maybe closer to 4. I'm getting a bump on what I thought was just one foot but now appear to be both, in the same place. The left one hurt like all hell a few games ago.

Does this mean my skates are too small? The bumps/bruises if you will are on the top of my foot, and are very noticeable, even through socks. I went a size 7 RBK when I couldnt decide between 7 and 7.5 since you can always make a skate bigger. Do I need to have a portion of the skate punched out if it's too small? Can you even punch out the tongue?

Lots of questions, any answers are appreciated. Thanks

P.S. I'm looking at new Ice skates which is why I ask so many...that and it just started hurting like hell. Also, this is the first time the bumps have shown up since I got the skates.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Ducks

it could be how you are tightening your skates.

I play ice but I'm sure its pretty much the same. Starting from the Toe: The first few laces should be tight, then not so tight along the top of your foot, then tight around the ankles for support.

You're gonna hurt the tops of your feet if you tighten every lace all the way up.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 01:33 AM
lotus

Well I tighten them, just not as much. I'll try to keep it a little more loose around the area. This shouldn't be too hard with RBK skates given the 'lace lock' feature I guess.

Old
10-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
it could be how you are tightening your skates.

I play ice but I'm sure its pretty much the same. Starting from the Toe: The first few laces should be tight, then not so tight along the top of your foot, then tight around the ankles for support.

You're gonna hurt the tops of your feet if you tighten every lace all the way up.
That was the way I heard growing up, but with modern skates the middle should be firm to lock in the heel, and the top eyelets slightly less firm to allow ankle movement (with the skate)

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 07:25 AM
RedK

You might look into the Maltese Hockey lacebite pads. They work great to prevent this.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK View Post
You might look into the Maltese Hockey lacebite pads. They work great to prevent this.
I've never heard of Maltese, but Absolute Athletics also makes a pad.

http://www.bungapads.com/store.cfm/s...%20Bite%20Pad/

This company has the most complete line of padding and braces I've found. We sell a lot of their 5" Bunga sleeves and the 2.5" discs. I've even used the sleeves to fix shoes.

Before you spend money, tinker with loosening your laces everywhere but the 2 eyelets that lock in your ankle.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Jeffw-13

I had a lacebite problem with a pair of skates that were too big. I had to really crank down on the laces to take up the slop in the heel and it messed me up bad.

No offense to the posters above but forget about all those fancy pads. I tried all of those and got nothing but poorer.

Go down to Home Depot or Lowes and get a length of plumbing pipe insulation. Tear off a piece and put it under your sock where the pain is. A 6 foot length is about $5 bucks.

There's usually two kinds, one is very spongy and the other is more firm, get the spongy one. The one I have is called Armacell

Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Fenix

had a problem with it last season

i think it was caused by 2 things, the fact that i tied the laces around my ankles(i know i know, not smart) and the skate wasn't deep enough for my foot.

i went to my LHS and bought a gel pad, after i started wearing it the lace bite stayed but it didnt hurt anymore

Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 05:52 AM
krax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw-13 View Post
I
Go down to Home Depot or Lowes and get a length of plumbing pipe insulation. Tear off a piece and put it under your sock where the pain is. A 6 foot length is about $5 bucks.
Good idea, but putting foam on the bump will not necessarily take away the pain. It might get worse.
Cut a hole in the foam leaving the bump without any pressure/bruising.
I also would put the piece of foam over your socks. Those materials are not really skin-friendly.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 11:03 PM
MikeD

Maltese hockey is not foam. Its GEL and NOT the gel like Dr shoals or whatever..its medical grade. Hands down, once you use a set, you will not want to ever put skates on with out them. Even if you have never had lace bite....

Many pro teams use the maltese lace bite pads. If your in your skates 3,4 or 5 days a week, they become a must have item. NOTHING beats the Maltese gel products. I have never met anyone who wore them for a month, willing to give them up. 15 bucks US and mine are still like new and almost 4 years old. Hardly a major cash outlay.

Jeff, are you telling me and these others you actually tried the Maltese product and it didn't stop the lace bite problem cold. I want to see the invoice cause I ain't buying it. The same product is used in the medical field for prevention of bed sores in coma patients as well as for diabetics who must prevent any type of foot injury, or risk infection and amputation.

True story: My youngest was participating in a goalie camp with Jim Corsi @ HSBC. During the Camp, Mika Norenon was skating with the kids. During the sessions he was constantly stopping and pulling at his skates, adjusting a foam pad for the top of his foot. At the autograph session @ days end, i gave him a brand new set of the large lace bite pads. That was 4 years ago, I believe. Care to guess what he currently uses?

Last edited by MikeD: 10-05-2007 at 11:22 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:24 AM
lotus

You make a case for me to try these....

I'll decide after I buy my new Ice Skates. (The problem was with my inlines). I'm stumped on what Ice skates to buy haha..

Old
08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
You make a case for me to try these....

I'll decide after I buy my new Ice Skates. (The problem was with my inlines). I'm stumped on what Ice skates to buy haha..
I'm kind of curious if you went out and bought a pair of these Maltese Lace Bit Pads? I did and I would like to give you guys a little review on the product.

When I first heard about this product I bacame very interested because in the last 30 years on being on the ice, 5 or 6times a week, everyonce in a while, I would get such bad pain at the top of one or the other of my feet, It would take me out of the game for about a week.

Then someone told me that I had Lace Bit! I had what? Sounded like a disease and was it catching?

Then I heard about this Lace Bit Pad from Maltese Hockey. So, I bought a pair and tried them out. At first I was concern that they wouldn't do the job because I couldn't feel them on my skate. Plus, I was affraid that they would eventually work it's way down to my toes when I skate.

But, they were so comfortable and when you put them in your skates, they have a little velcro pad that locks the pad to the tonge of your skate so it doesn't move.

In fact, when I pull my foot out, it stay attached to the tonge of the skate. So the next time I put my foot in, it at the same place as last time. Very cool!

If you ask me, it was well worth the investment. No more week off, no more elevating the foot, no more drugs for the pain, no more crutches and no more doctor visits.

Was it worth the money? I say go get a pair and try it!
http://www.maltesehockey.com

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:56 AM
noobman

*bump*

Alright, so I've concluded that I need a pair of lace bite pads. Should I look at the Maltese pads or the Bunga pads?

I've tried leaving the top 2 eyelets loose, I've tried skipping the last eyelet, and I've tried skipping the second to last eyelet and then doing up the last eyelet loosely.

It provides some relief, but I'm still in quite a bit of pain after the first hour of gameplay.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Maltese, hands down.

I have a pair of the lace bite pads and my neck guard is on order.

08-09-2009, 02:36 PM
noobman

They're sold out! I guess it's Voltaren and ice until they re-stock.

Does anybody have experience with the Bunga pads? I wouldn't even mind wearing those temporarily (just until the tendons heal)

Old
08-10-2009, 01:09 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I'm going to have to give those a try. When I get lace bite that's a sign that it's time for me to get new skates. I was using Easton 1500C's for about a year and a half. The last month or 2 I was getting bad lace bite so I started shopping around. Got a pair of Nike XXXX for cheap and no more lace bite. There really is nothing worse than being in pain every stride. For me it just seems like if I go longer than a year in a skate it comes back with a vengeance.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 07:12 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I'm going to have to give those a try. When I get lace bite that's a sign that it's time for me to get new skates. I was using Easton 1500C's for about a year and a half. The last month or 2 I was getting bad lace bite so I started shopping around. Got a pair of Nike XXXX for cheap and no more lace bite. There really is nothing worse than being in pain every stride. For me it just seems like if I go longer than a year in a skate it comes back with a vengeance.
Sounds like me... I got these skates last August, and first noticed this problem in July.