HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stewart Signed

Old
08-08-2009, 03:18 PM
saskhab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Anyone think he'd be picked up if we tried to send him down? I could see Burke being interested in him.
Anything's possible, but guys like him pass through waivers all the time. Most teams have a guy just like him.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
Anything's possible, but guys like him pass through waivers all the time. Most teams have a guy just like him.
There's no way he passes threw waivers. Stewart has the potential to be a top middleweight / defensive forward in the league. His skating is pretty good, he beat players like Stortini and O'Brien + he's still a pretty young lad. IMO, he's an asset and not just a player to fill a spot.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 08:19 PM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
There's no way he passes threw waivers. Stewart has the potential to be a top middleweight / defensive forward in the league. His skating is pretty good, he beat players like Stortini and O'Brien + he's still a pretty young lad. IMO, he's an asset and not just a player to fill a spot.
He's also a guy with 1 point in 21 NHL games and who has had no PK time. That "potential" is a long ways from reality at this point. I like the guy, and while I don't think it's neccessary with such a cap friendly contract to risk losing him on waivers, it wouldn't surprise me if he passed through waivers unclaimed. People thought Jonathon Ferland was similarly valuable as a big, solid hitting defensive forward.

And Huggy Bear Stortini... he doesn't win many fights.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:

Oh come on now. This is a classic example of overrating our prospects. He is a dime a dozen in the NHL and does not have potential to be a top defensive forward in the league.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 01:04 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimflylice View Post
Oh come on now. This is a classic example of overrating our prospects. He is a dime a dozen in the NHL and does not have potential to be a top defensive forward in the league.
Well, near most any player who makes it to the NHL level has the potential to be something great, but definitely it doesn't seem likely.(Not that he won't be great at what he does, but I mean to say that he'll be what the poster above said he'd be, one of the top defensive forwards in the league, I just don't see it, just saying anything is possible) One thing about Canadiens prospects/rookies all people need to keep in mind, a lot of these guy come up early as hell, Latendresse, Kostitsyn, etc. (Mind you Stewart is what, 23?) But still, he isn't 26 yet. Isn't Chips the same age and is expected to be better then Stewart and hasn't been?

If people want to worry about any player reaching his potential it is Kyle Chipchura, PK Subban, not Stewart. I think Stewart already does his part as is, and will be a 4th line player but a good one. I'm not expecting him to reach some ceiling that to my knowledge doesn't exist, but I'm also not saying he can't break out and become another Lapierre. I remember nobody though Lapierre had any offensive upside what so ever and he's steadily improved, who knows how he'll be this year. I'm excited to see Lapierre play, I think he's like our sleeper hit prospect of the last X amount of years.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
He may be a dime a dozen player in the NHL but the Habs have had difficulty over the years developing true 4th liners who can fight, skate, and muck it up in the corners. So what if he doesn't become a top defensive forward in the league. Under Jacques Martin, I see Stewart having the opportunity to develop into a darn good defensive forward. Also, he is capable fighter and his fight success will improve as he adds more weight and gets more fighting experience in the NHL. Are you not tired of the Habs being pushed around? I don't want to risk losing this youngster to waivers. If BGL isn't able to play, Moen's going to have to do an awful lot of fighting.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'm calling bs. No where else has this yet.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 05:14 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Agreed. Stewart is good for what he is - fighting, banging bodies, creating energy - but he'll probably never be much more than what he is now. Who knows though.

And if it's on Capgeek, it's 99% a done deal. Have they been wrong once yet?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Agreed. Stewart is good for what he is - fighting, banging bodies, creating energy - but he'll probably never be much more than what he is now. Who knows though.

And if it's on Capgeek, it's 99% a done deal. Have they been wrong once yet?
I am not sure, but so far, no one else has mentioned it, unless they've referred to capgeek as the source. They reported it yesterday.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 05:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I am not sure, but so far, no one else has mentioned it, unless they've referred to capgeek as the source. They reported it yesterday.
Capgeek has had a lot of the minor deals up before anyone else reports them, so it's not surprising.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
I said middleweight/defensive forward, not pure defensive forward.

Old
08-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Capgeek has had a lot of the minor deals up before anyone else reports them, so it's not surprising.
Exactly. No reason to think this isn't true.

I remember one error and I'm pretty sure it was just a clerical one (inserted wrong team for a player)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac
I said middleweight/defensive forward, not pure defensive forward.
Stewart wasn't really a defensive forward in the AHL - he's not even an adequate defensive forward - outside of his pugilism he offers little else (some energy, a warm body). I like him though.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Stewart wasn't really a defensive forward in the AHL - he's not even an adequate defensive forward - outside of his pugilism he offers little else (some energy, a warm body). I like him though.
Stewart did have some pk time in Hamilton. With his skating and his awarness i have no doubt that in time he can become a decent defensive player. For next year i'm just hoping he plays a meaner game, to play like Carcillo or Rypen, that would be fantastic.

Old
08-09-2009, 06:14 PM
BLONG7

Once this is announced, then only Dags left to sign, which got me thinking, would the Habs just go with 22 on the roster instead of 23 like they have done in the past? Any thoughts guys...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:29 AM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
Stewart did have some pk time in Hamilton. With his skating and his awarness i have no doubt that in time he can become a decent defensive player. For next year i'm just hoping he plays a meaner game, to play like Carcillo or Rypen, that would be fantastic.
Stop overrating Stewart. He isn't talented offensively and isn't a good defensive player either. He didn't beat either O'brien or Stortini but he did hold his own against them. He got his ass handed to him by Tim Jackman. However, he pummeled Steve Ott and did win his fight against Chris Thorburn at ATL. Props to him for standing up for himself and his teammates and taking on much larger opponents in the NHL since he got great success fighting mostly smaller guys at the AHL level.

Stop putting Carcillo and Rypien in the same sentence as stewart as Carcillo is one of the league's top agitator and is a much more talented player with the puck on his stick. Rypien is a bulldog on skates and has already proven he could beat much bigger guys at the NHL level, plays on the PK and has a much better and tougher game overall.

Stewart plays a solid up and down game and brings a lot of energy to the table, is a decent middleweight fighter and skates well. MAYBE he could play a role on the PK one day but we already have Metro/Chipchura, Lapierre, Moen etc who are already proven in this role. He wasn't even a fixture at the AHL level on the PK and we're talking about the NHL level here.

He is the kind of player fans and teammates love as he is highly entertaining to watch as he goes to war every night and good news for him, the habs needs more grit and toughness up front. His upside is extremly limited and he needs to upgrade his strength to improve his effectiveness in his crash and bang style and as a fighter and works on his defensive game if he hopes of becoming a fourth line regular one day. He is not an asset, but a depth role player at this point and I'm fairly confident he would go through waivers. If somehow a team would pick him up, I wouldn't lose much sleep over him even if I like his heart, energy, fighting and find him very entertaining to watch.

Last edited by Mathieu Lavergne: 08-10-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Mathieu Lavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 07:05 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku K. View Post
Stop overrating Stewart. He isn't talented offensively and isn't a good defensive player either. He didn't beat either O'brien or Stortini but he did hold his own against them. He got his ass handed to him by Tim Jackman. However, he pummeled Steve Ott and did win his fight against Chris Thorburn at ATL. Props to him for standing up for himself and his teammates and taking on much larger opponents in the NHL since he got great success fighting mostly smaller guys at the AHL level.

Stop putting Carcillo and Rypien in the same sentence as stewart as Carcillo is one of the league's top agitator and is a much more talented player with the puck on his stick. Rypien is a bulldog on skates and has already proven he could beat much bigger guys at the NHL level, plays on the PK and has a much better and tougher game overall.

Stewart plays a solid up and down game and brings a lot of energy to the table, is a decent middleweight fighter and skates well. MAYBE he could play a role on the PK one day but we already have Metro/Chipchura, Lapierre, Moen etc who are already proven in this role. He wasn't even a fixture at the AHL level on the PK and we're talking about the NHL level here.

He is the kind of player fans and teammates love as he is highly entertaining to watch as he goes to war every night and good news for him, the habs needs more grit and toughness up front. His upside is extremly limited and he needs to upgrade his strength to improve his effectiveness in his crash and bang style and as a fighter and works on his defensive game if he hopes of becoming a fourth line regular one day. He is not an asset, but a depth role player at this point and I'm fairly confident he would go through waivers. If somehow a team would pick him up, I wouldn't lose much sleep over him even if I like his heart, energy, fighting and find him very entertaining to watch.
Watched Stewart last year with the Dogs. Your comments couldn't be more accurate. One other comment he has a habit of taking the dumbest penalties at the wrong time in a game.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Stewart wanted to wait until Crosby brought the cup back to Cole Hbr , he didnt want the contact to take any spot light away from Sidney.
Good stuff

I hope it's a done deal,fair deal for both.Now only D'ago left to sign or maybe a trade to come

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Watched Stewart last year with the Dogs. Your comments couldn't be more accurate. One other comment he has a habit of taking the dumbest penalties at the wrong time in a game.
Begin 2.0 ?

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:35 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Begin 2.0 ?
We could only hope he becomes as good as Begin in his best days.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Once this is announced, then only Dags left to sign, which got me thinking, would the Habs just go with 22 on the roster instead of 23 like they have done in the past? Any thoughts guys...
I think ideally you want to go with that 22 man roster...one extra forward and one extra d-man. That $500-750 saved in cap space could go a long way at the trade deadline.

However, im not sure thats a real viable option for the Habs right now given their roster. I believe only Max Pacioretty and Sergei Kostitsyn and eligible to go up and down without having to clear waivers, however i think in a perfect world the Habs would like to see both of these guys at the NHL level.

I'm not convinced that either Chiphura, Stewart or D'Agostini is really ready for full time NHL duty at this point, but i also wouldn't like to risk losing either one to waivers, so baring a trade i say they both start in Montreal.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:39 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Begin 2.0 ?
Kovalev 2.0 ?

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

It'd be nice if we could get a true confirmation of this. Oh Hockey Gods - PLEASE hear my plea

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 11:05 AM
skule123

A very good friend of the Habs board did just that on Twitter, as of 1103 this morning:

Quote:
MAGodin: Gregory Stewart signs for one year. He was able to avoid a two-way deal, which is good for him.

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Andy

Stewart Signed

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=469767

one year deal

merge if you want, but atleast people are now aware of his signing

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 11:07 AM