HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WJC Rosters - United States

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2009, 02:18 PM
trickster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
If McRae isn't in the top 6 for USA, something is wrong. This kid is so damn skilled it's not even funny.
Dominated the prospects camp in St. Louis with Simon Hjalmarsson and T.J. Oshie.

He's really going to be something special!
I heard he was going to be heavily counted on for scoring at the WJC and the blues expected him to play a significant role - I assume that means top 6 too

Old
08-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm sorry, but if they take Bourque over Stepan, it just shows that the US team is built on nothing more than politics. It would be an absolutely retarded decision.

I thought we were finally past politicized teams? At least that's what seemed to be coming out of the talking heads putting the teams together.
I've got to agree with you here. Bourque over Stepan would be foolish to say the least.

You're a Michigan fan...Wohlberg should make the team as a checking center, right?

Old
08-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post

You're a Michigan fan...Wohlberg should make the team as a checking center, right?
I sure hope so. He had a solid year last year for the Wolverines.

Old
08-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
I sure hope so. He had a solid year last year for the Wolverines.
I can't see why he wouldn't make it. This is his second WJC evaluation camp and he certainly showed maturity beyond his years last year playing with Caporusso and Palushaj.

Old
08-09-2009, 08:53 PM
sfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I've seen enough of Bourque to know that he's not as good as Stepan is right now. Stepan's already proved a lot as a freshman in the NCAA. I like Bourque as a prospect and I was very happy we picked him.

But Stepan is more well rounded and more ready for the big time than Bourque is, IMHO.

Hey, I'll take both of 'em on the team. I would just be very upset if they choose to take Bourque over Stepan. I would almost guarantee it would be because he was an alum, also, and not skill and readiness.
I think it depends on the roles they're looking to fill on the team. I've seen both Bourque and Stepan play live, though I've seen Stepan on more occasions. What Stepan has going for him that impressed me is that he's an effing BEAST on the penalty kill. I've got some friends that play for North Dakota in the WCHA with Wisconsin, and the kid scored 2 short handed goals on the same PK. Every time I've seen him play he just dominates on the penalty kill...so if they're looking for that, Stepan would be a good fit on the team. But I bet he's not the only good penalty killer out there too, so tough to say.

Old
08-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo View Post
I think it depends on the roles they're looking to fill on the team. I've seen both Bourque and Stepan play live, though I've seen Stepan on more occasions. What Stepan has going for him that impressed me is that he's an effing BEAST on the penalty kill. I've got some friends that play for North Dakota in the WCHA with Wisconsin, and the kid scored 2 short handed goals on the same PK. Every time I've seen him play he just dominates on the penalty kill...so if they're looking for that, Stepan would be a good fit on the team. But I bet he's not the only good penalty killer out there too, so tough to say.
It looks like the top six will be hard for him to make. He could fill a role on the PK, but he'll be competing with Wohlberg (who is better defensively), Kristo, Czarnik, Lynch, D'Amigo, Ryan etc. Bourque has more offensive ability and can fill a 13th forward role if he doesn't grab a top six spot.

Another underrated center who has multiple dimensions to his game is Mike Cichy. He's often overlooked, but is equally adept defensively as he is offensively.

So far at camp, Bourque has been more noticeable and has been given more of an offensive role. I think it's pretty clear the coaching staff is going with Schroeder-Wahl as the top two centers, so Stepan grabbing a top six role probably won't happen.

It's too early to really project the roster as it's still pretty wide-open, but I think these guys are good bets: Schroeder, Morin, McRae, Wahl, Palmieri, Kristo, Wohlberg, Czarnik, Jenks, and Bourque. I could see either Stepan or Cichy grabbing the 4th line center spot over Johnson or filling in as the 13th forward as they're both well-rounded and hard working, but they have their work cut out for them. Budish and Kreider are wildcards for different reasons. They both have the talent to be there, but Budish doesn't look 100% yet and Kreider is a bit raw and a liability defensively. Kenny Ryan is a beast and I could see him grabbing a 4th line role pretty easily.

Overall there's a lot of guys that are closely matched and it's anyone's guess beyond the obvious top talents.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:14 PM
james bond

Konk, I often like your analysis, however I would question your assessment on Mike Cichy. His +/- in the past couple of years has not reflected anything adept defensively.
http://www.pointstreak.com/stats/pro...&seasonid=3192

I find the dilemma for most who project a future roster pick too many all-stars. If the players are slated in upon their natural positions, the roster takes shape in a more practical form. I had listed a roster on these boards a number of months ago which had Johnson centering a line with Wahl on the right side. In the few Chief games I caught in the last couple of seasons, Wahl was a RW. If Blais wants to run the theme of familiarity, those two may be an option.
I didnt make the drive up to Lake Placid this year but I get the feeling Coach Blais is running it akin to Hockey Canada's modicum wherein there is more intensity in the scrimmages, and possible rewards for that type of play.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:25 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
Konk, I often like your analysis, however I would question your assessment on Mike Cichy. His +/- in the past couple of years has not reflected anything adept defensively.

I find the dilemma for most who project a future roster pick too many all-stars. If the players are slated in upon their natural positions, the roster takes shape in a more practical form. I had listed a roster on these boards a number of months ago which had Johnson centering a line with Wahl on the right side. In the few Chief games I caught in the last couple of seasons, Wahl was a RW. If Blais wants to run the theme of familiarity, those two may be an option.
I didnt make the drive up to Lake Placid this year but I get the feeling Coach Blais is running it akin to Hockey Canada's modicum wherein there is more intensity in the scrimmages, and possible rewards for that type of play.
There should be more intensity since after the Blue-White scrimmages (3 total) they are cutting about half the players from the camp before assembling a squad for the Russian games (4 total).

I'm glad Blais is the coach but I hope this change (albeit not the necessary one) to the camp will prove this camp to be more beneficial to the players. Hopefully the USA Hockey head honchos are part of the reason this change is happening as well, but I think you're spot on in regards to your assessment of Blais.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:31 PM
jake1

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
I've never seen him play, but Cichy was on a terrible team and his +/- actually looks pretty good compared to the rest of the team:

Old
08-09-2009, 11:54 PM
james bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1 View Post
I've never seen him play, but Cichy was on a terrible team and his +/- actually looks pretty good compared to the rest of the team:

Fair enough. From what I have seen of Cichy is that he is a bonafide goal scorer and would mesh well with a pure passer / set up guy (and perhaps a big player who can create some space). He is a guy who I think would be suited for one of the top 2 LW positions.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Hooch314

Good looking defense

Old
08-10-2009, 08:39 AM
orangeandblack

First round of cuts. Not sure if these players are completely off the roster and have no shot come Dec, or just for the camp. Definitely some surprises on both sides.

The cut players are:

Defensemen:
Sean Lorenz ’90 (Littleton, Colo./Notre Dame – NCAA)
Philip Samuelsson ‘91(Scottsdale, Ariz./Chicago -- USHL)
Beau Schmitz ‘91(Howell, Mich./Plymouth -- OHL)
Patrick Wey ’91 (Pittsburgh, Pa./Waterloo -- USHL)
William Wrenn ’91 (Anchorage, Ak/U.S. Under-18)

Forwards:
Mike Cichy ’90 (New Hartford, Conn./Indiana -- USHL)
Justin Florek ’90 (Marquette, Mich./Northern Michigan – NCAA)
Kevin Lynch ’91 (Grosse Pointe, Mich./U.S. Under-18)
Tyler Maxwell ’91 (Manhattan Beach, Calif./Everett -- WHL)
Drew Shore ’91 (Denver, Colo./U.S. Under-18)
A.J. Treais ’91 (Bloomfield Hills, Mich./U.S. Under-18)
Mitch Wahl ’90 (Seal Beach, Calif./Spokane --WHL)
David Wohlberg ’90 (South Lyon, Mich./Michigan – NCAA)
Andrew Yogan ’91 (Boca Raton, Fla./Erie – OHL)

The remaining 29-man roster:

Goaltenders (4):
Jack Campbell ’92 (Port Huron, Mich./U.S. Under-17)
Connor Knapp ’90 (York, N.Y./Miami – NCAA)
Mike Lee ’90 (Roseau, Minn./Fargo -- USHL)
Brandon Maxwell ’91 (Winter Park, Fla./U.S. Under-18)

Defensemen (10):
John Carlson ’90 (Colonia, N.J./London -- OHL)
Adam Comrie ’90 (Ashburn, Va./Saginaw Spirit -- OHL)
Matt Donovan ’90 (Edmond, Okla./Cedar Rapids -- USHL)
Cam Fowler ’91 (Farmington Hills, Mich./U.S. Under-18)
Jake Gardiner ’90 (Minnetonka, Minn./Wisconsin -- NCAA)
Nick Leddy ’91 (Eden Prairie, Minn./Eden Prairie HS)
John Moore ‘90 (Winnetka, Ill./Chicago -- USHL)
Aaron Ness ‘90 (Roseau, Minn./Minnesota – NCAA)
David Warsofsky ’90 (Marshfield, Mass./Boston University -- NCAA)
Chris Wideman ’90 (St. Louis, Mo./Miami – NCAA)

Forwards (15):
Ryan Bourque ’91 (Boxford, Mass./U.S. Under-18)
Zach Budish ’91 (Edina, Minn./Edina HS)
Robbie Czarnik ’90 (Washington, Mich./Michigan – NCAA)
Jerry D’Amigo ’91 (Binghamton, N.Y./U.S. Under-18)
AJ Jenks ’90 (Wolverine Lake, Mich./Plymouth -- OHL)
Tyler Johnson ’90 (Spokane, Wash./Spokane -- WHL)
Chris Kreider ’91 (Boxford, Mass./Phillips Andover)
Danny Kristo ’90 (Eden Prairie, Minn./Omaha -- USHL)
Philip McRae ’90 (Chesterfield, Mo./London -- OHL)
Jeremy Morin ’91 (Auburn, N.Y./U.S. Under-18)
Kyle Palmieri ’91(Montvale, N.J./U.S. Under-18)
Kenny Ryan ’91 (Franklin Village, Mich./U.S. Under-18)
Vinny Saponari ’90 (Powder Springs, Ga./Boston University – NCAA)
Jordan Schroeder ’90 (Prior Lake, Minn./Minnesota –NCAA)
Derek Stepan ’90 (Hastings, Minn./Wisconsin – NCAA)

Old
08-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Big Daddy

Wahl, really? Not even staying around for the scrimmages with Russia. Very strange.

Old
08-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I guess the big "shock" to me is Wahl. Blais and the rest of the staff must see something they don't like. Personally, I'm glad they're not giving incumbants a free pass. Wahl was pretty invisible last year anyway.

Old
08-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Konk

That's what I mean by no such thing as locks. Everyone (including me) thought Wahl was a solid bet to make the team and he's cut from the eval camp already.

The one guy included that I just don't understand is Vinny Saponari. He's never been anything special and to me, looks out of place with some of these guys.

Old
08-10-2009, 09:34 AM
orangeandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
That's what I mean by no such thing as locks. Everyone (including me) thought Wahl was a solid bet to make the team and he's cut from the eval camp already.

The one guy included that I just don't understand is Vinny Saponari. He's never been anything special and to me, looks out of place with some of these guys.
Totally agree.

Old
08-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

Agreed, although it's unlikely (IMO) he makes the final roster.

Old
08-10-2009, 10:21 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
He did well, don't get me wrong, but consider Wisconsin's weak forward depth before you make him out to be Joe Pavelski.
He actually has been compared to Joe Pavelski:

http://www.badgerbeat.com/news/article/id/442695

Quote:
Stepan is 18, fresh out of the prep ranks at Shattuck St. Mary’s (Minn.) High School, but doesn’t play like it. He’s drawn comparisons to Joe Pavelski, who led UW in scoring as a freshman and sophomore before moving on to San Jose of the NHL, except that Pavelski was 20 when he made his collegiate debut in 2004.
http://badgerherald.com/sports/2009/...s_2_goals_.php

Quote:
Second on the team in points with 30, Eaves compared Stepan to former Badger great Joe Pavelski. Considering Pavelski led Eaves’ national championship team in points that season, Stepan would appear to be in good company.

“One person that he reminds me of — and I don’t want to put additional pressure on him — but he thinks the game like Joe Pavelski,” Eaves said. “He reminds me of his ability to be perceptive on the ice, yet have the skill to do the things he wants.

Old
08-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Levitate

though i'd be quick to point out that Pavelski put up significantly better numbers in his first year, regardless of being older, so I think it's fair to take that as a style comparison at the moment

Old
08-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Nich

[QUOTE=Konk;20706890]Why? You two are part of the problem with fans' view of how the selection process works. The only locks upfront are Schroeder, Wahl, Morin, Budish, Palmieri, and McRae. These guys are the top talents and sure-bets. QUOTE]

anybody have any idea why Wahl went from a "lock" and proposed captain to first cut? He must have been brutal!

Old
08-10-2009, 10:52 AM
tyler_sens

Good to see Chris Wideman still there, hope he can continue to impress and make the team come december.

Old
08-10-2009, 10:56 AM
carlweezer*

is Schroeder 100 percent? I know he only participated in 1 day of prospect camp here in Vancouver because he tweaked his hip. Something to keep an eye of for U of M fans.

p.s. I have a picture with this guy and there is no way he is 5'8! He is probably 5'8 with skates on. However, he is as thick as they come for an 18 yr old...Big Massive Legs and Strong upper body.

Old
08-10-2009, 11:32 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
though i'd be quick to point out that Pavelski put up significantly better numbers in his first year, regardless of being older, so I think it's fair to take that as a style comparison at the moment
Yes, but Pavelski was also on a much better team which I'm sure helped his stats. Hard to say how each would have done if their roles were reversed.

Regardless, this will be a big year for Stepan. I'm looking forward to watching him. Somehow I've got the Big 10 network as part of my cable package, but I'm not gonna complain

Old
08-10-2009, 11:40 AM
bobermay

Good to see D'Amigo and Ryan still on that list

Anyone here familiar with either of these players?

Old
08-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

I never considered Wahl a lock. I never consider any CHL player a lock, quite frankly. No matter if they were in good standing or not.

I agree completely with Saponari. No way he makes this team. He should be one of the next cuts along with one of the 91s.

I like our defense a lot. Should be a very fast, two-way defense.

Closed Thread