HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chris Zimmerman resigns. Mike Gillis and Victor de Bonis take over.

Old
08-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Passthedonuts

vCash: 500
What was the deal with Stan McCammon?

It's clear that very few people seemed to get along with him, but does anybody have any examples?

Passthedonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Is Zimmerman the guy who came up with the ever retarded "We're all Canucks" campaign and the one who's made every Canucks related media look an emo female products commercial?

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:02 PM
pitseleh

Cam Cole has an interesting take on it:

Quote:
The mutual admiration society between Francesco Aquilini and his now sophomore GM is very much alive — maybe even stronger than 15 months ago, when Dave Nonis's cologne was still hanging in the air as Aquilini was naming the former player agent and his ready-made coterie of ex-client/advisers to form the new regime.

The owners like him.

But the double title will bear watching, just the same.

If it's perceived that the new job description has caused Gillis to take even 10 per cent of his focus from the hockey team — the only area the fans really care about — it will have been a bad move.

If Gillis's elevation is only on paper — like the "executive VP" tacked onto so many other GMs' titles — and most of the president's responsibilities are, in reality, taken on by 15-year team operative Victor de Bonis and his staff, then the only effect will be symbolic: a signal of Gillis's expanding influence over all things Canuck.

The owners obviously believe that's a good thing.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...699/story.html

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:58 PM
FruityPants3*

Interesting indeed. Quick, everyone argue with him too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Cole
If Gillis's elevation is only on paper — like the "executive VP" tacked onto so many other GMs' titles — and most of the president's responsibilities are, in reality, taken on by 15-year team operative Victor de Bonis and his staff, then the only effect will be symbolic: a signal of Gillis's expanding influence over all things Canuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Meh, I'd say president pretty much is [ceremonial]. It's traditionally tacked on within the context of "president and general manager" with a few added duties, but not necessarily the most qualified person, usually just the general manager. I meant they are more ceremonial in this industry than most others.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Interesting indeed. Quick, everyone argue with him too
Nobody is arguing with you.

When Zimmerman was president, clearly that wasn't a ceremonial role.

It now seems like the Canucks have changed things. Gillis is now ultimately responsible for all that Zimmerman was doing, but it look like de Bonis will be handling most of the day-to-day stuff.

It would appear that this is a bit of a scramble move; who knows what the real story is, but the team didn't seem to have a communications strategy prepared for this.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:11 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Nobody is arguing with you.

When Zimmerman was president, clearly that wasn't a ceremonial role.

It now seems like the Canucks have changed things. Gillis is now ultimately responsible for all that Zimmerman was doing, but it look like de Bonis will be handling most of the day-to-day stuff.

It would appear that this is a bit of a scramble move; who knows what the real story is, but the team didn't seem to have a communications strategy prepared for this.
My argument was that president is usually ceremonial, as in "President and GM Brian Burke," a fluffy, ego-stroking tack on to make someone feel like they have a big role. I still think that's often the case, and Cole is suggesting the same.

I didn't realize there was a COO, but it seems like Zimmerman's role wasn't really much as President, more CEO, and I think he was probably miscast as that from a pure title standpoint. CMO seems a lot more appropriate considering the overlap between COO and CEO.

I think you are right, it is probably a bit of a scramble, and I don't know much about de Bonis, but I don't expect Gillis to be great on the marketing aspect, so I expect the next hiring would be in that area.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Ernie

Well, there's always the possibility that this de Bonis character was hired to push Zimmerman out from below.

Zimmerman hasn't exactly lived up to his billing, and when someone resigns to "spend more time with their family", 99% of the time there's something more to the story.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:28 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Well, there's always the possibility that this de Bonis character was hired to push Zimmerman out from below.
Not sure about that, since it looks like de Bonis was put in that role only about 6 months after Zimmerman? Interesting, he has been with them for 20 years and was CFO for 9 years.

http://canucks.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...LPage&bcid=212

So now you have a bean counter and Mike Gillis in charge of marketing

Definitely more to it than what's on the surface, though.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Ernie

Good info.

Holy crap, they have Spock working for them too!

Old
08-05-2009, 01:05 AM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Not sure about that, since it looks like de Bonis was put in that role only about 6 months after Zimmerman? Interesting, he has been with them for 20 years and was CFO for 9 years.

http://canucks.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...LPage&bcid=212

So now you have a bean counter and Mike Gillis in charge of marketing

Definitely more to it than what's on the surface, though.
De Bonis has been around for ages, that is correct, and he has had a large role regardless of Zimmerman being president and CEO, de Bonis has done a large deal of the work. It's an expansion of his role but not significantly. Gillis will be acting president and will have slightly more of a role, but his main act is still in hockey operations.

And while ultimately Zimmerman overlooked marketing, the department reaches down further, Zimmerman may give some guide, but he's was the stamper and sealer, which is what Gillis will be, he won't be as involved as Zimmerman.

Anyways, under Zimmerman the actual brand and brand management has developed a ton, more than you guys give credit, if you compare what the state of the organization was before 3 years ago to now, there wouldn't be all the structure. And regardless of the questionable items that ultimately failed such as the 7th Man and the movie, there have been many not so obvious moves that have made the Canucks one of the most profitable teams in the league. The brand and fan involvement is only second to those of the Habs and Leafs, even then in things like web we surpass them. And just so everyone realizes, the team reaches much further than simply what is put on the ice every game night. Think of the all things Canucks you see throughout the community at events and in the streets.

As for the 'more to it' part. Possibly, no one really knows, when they say it's family related, it is in a very large part due to that. Whether or not there was friction between him and the Acquilinis, hard to know for sure. He certainly wasn't pushed out by de Bonis or Gillis though.

Last edited by The Bob Cole: 08-05-2009 at 01:10 AM.
The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:22 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

Zimmerman hasn't exactly lived up to his billing, and when someone resigns to "spend more time with their family", 99% of the time there's something more to the story.
Victor de Bonis has been around with the Canucks for years - going back to the Quinn era.
Quote:
Victor de Bonis has served as a member of Canucks Sports and Entertainment (formerly Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment) since 1994.
He first joined the organization as the Corporate Controller in 1994. In this position, he managed a public company private placement and the resulting private reorganization (Arena and Vancouver Canucks). In 1994 and 1995, de Bonis also managed material term debt financings with Canadian and American financial institutions for the Arena and Vancouver Grizzlies. He acted as a key member of a group that developed and instituted the new business strategy for GM Place, the Vancouver Grizzlies and the Vancouver Canucks, beginning in 1995.
http://canucks.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...LPage&id=21897

Dave Cobb brought him over from KPMG.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
My argument was that president is usually ceremonial, as in "President and GM Brian Burke," a fluffy, ego-stroking tack on to make someone feel like they have a big role. I still think that's often the case, and Cole is suggesting the same.

I didn't realize there was a COO, but it seems like Zimmerman's role wasn't really much as President, more CEO, and I think he was probably miscast as that from a pure title standpoint. CMO seems a lot more appropriate considering the overlap between COO and CEO.

I think you are right, it is probably a bit of a scramble, and I don't know much about de Bonis, but I don't expect Gillis to be great on the marketing aspect, so I expect the next hiring would be in that area.
When Burke was President there were very strange reporting lines. Dave Cobb was COO and normally he would report to the President (Burke) but in the Canucks structure he reported directly to Stan McCammon as did Burke. Other than direct hockey operations all other team matters were vested in Dave Cobb abd he was an Alternate Governor a position that Burke was never given which again is unusual as the president usually has that title.

Also for all league meetings except for the GM meetings, Cobb attended not Burke.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:16 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luo The First View Post
As for the 'more to it' part. Possibly, no one really knows, when they say it's family related, it is in a very large part due to that. Whether or not there was friction between him and the Acquilinis, hard to know for sure. He certainly wasn't pushed out by de Bonis or Gillis though.
Thanks for all the insight. If he was being pushed out, they probably wouldn't have announced redistributing those roles internally, unless it was some kind of cost cutting measure. They'd probably have been looking at candidates and keep the position(s) open.

Old
08-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

An aside from Ed Willes' column today:

Quote:
Finally, it seems former Canucks president Chris Zimmerman didn't jump out of the big office, but was pushed.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Li...277/story.html

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
An aside from Ed Willes' column today:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Li...277/story.html
Willes needs to overcome his bias against the current Canuck management and at least pretend to have some balance in his work.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Willes needs to overcome his bias against the current Canuck management and at least pretend to have some balance in his work.
I think you need to refute his argument rather than attempt to slag his person.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I think you need to refute his argument rather than attempt to slag his person.
I wasn't slagging his person. It's well known Willis has a strong pro-Burke/Nonis bias.

It's great for Willes to make a statement saying:
Quote:
Finally, it seems former Canucks president Chris Zimmerman didn't jump out of the big office, but was pushed.
with no evidence, no supporting points, nothing but speculation and then use it as an opportunity to attack Gillis for inexperience.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:05 PM
FruityPants3*

I don't think Monday Morning Musings is the appropriate spot for a full out investigative report. It's tidbits and that includes gossip. And we all know he has a bias, but it appears he is trying to present some balance.

Quote:
Gillis has been handed the keys to the operation in a year.

That doesn't mean Francesco Aquilini has made a bad decision. It just means he better be right.
I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:09 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
I wasn't slagging his person. It's well known Willis has a strong pro-Burke/Nonis bias.
Every writer has bias. I don't see you calling out the Pro- Gillis media after every article?
So clearly, it isn't bias you are attempting to sniff out, its a certain kind of bias.

Quote:

It's great for Willes to make a statement saying:

with no evidence, no supporting points, nothing but speculation and then use it as an opportunity to attack Gillis for inexperience.
"That doesn't mean Francesco Aquilini has made a bad decision. It just means he better be right."- which is a sentiment half the posters in this thread have stated.

From botchfords article:

"The Canucks insist Chris Zimmerman wasn't pushed this week into resigning as president and CEO, though plenty around the league believe otherwise."

http://www.theprovince.com/search/search.html?q=gillis

But wait, more bias.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Yup. If it's a rumor, he should state that. Otherwise he should name some sort of source.

Very low on the credibility scale - looks like another malicious jab more than anything else.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:15 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Yup. If it's a rumor, he should state that. Otherwise he should name some sort of source.
Dont read much news eh? Journalists, or at least good investigative one's, never reveal their sources.

But i guess for Willes credibility on HF he should come out and name his sources.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Dont read much news eh? Journalists, or at least good investigative one's, never reveal their sources.

But i guess for Willes credibility on HF he should come out and name his sources.
There's a difference between naming the source and mentioning you have one.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Ernie

Quote:
I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.
Good technique that, wrapping an insinuation into a statement. Words are fun.

When Willes was doing this last year, he was basically preaching to the choir and so he got away with it. Problem is, the choir is much much smaller now (you and a couple other people it seems).

Old
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Ernie

Quote:

If you think that a reputable journalist would ever write an article like that, you know very little about journalism. Willes is a hack.

Old
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Good technique that, wrapping an insinuation into a statement. Words are fun.

When Willes was doing this last year, he was basically preaching to the choir and so he got away with it. Problem is, the choir is much much smaller now (you and a couple other people it seems).
It appears it's much easier for you and a few others to ignore people's opinions if they can conveniently dismiss them with a pre-conceived bias.