HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sutherby the Favorite for 4th Line Center?

Old
08-08-2009, 08:17 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Sutherby the Favorite for 4th Line Center?

Heika thinks that he's got the inside track over Petersen heading into camp, which comes as a bit of a surprise.

Sutherby's faceoff percentage last year of 41.1% is a little troubling, though he does have a history of better, but not great, numbers on the dot.

Any thoughts on this? Apparently Ott isn't even being considered.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Heika thinks that he's got the inside track over Petersen heading into camp, which comes as a bit of a surprise.

Sutherby's faceoff percentage last year of 41.1% is a little troubling, though he does have a history of better, but not great, numbers on the dot.

Any thoughts on this? Apparently Ott isn't even being considered.
Well that's weird.

I thought it would go Ribeiro-Richards-Modano-Ott, with the latter two flip-flopping from time to time. I guess the plan is to keep Ott on the wings, either on Modano's or Sutherby/Petersen's.

08-08-2009, 09:27 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Despite the faceoffs, I'm pretty high on Sutherby. I do think he would benefit from a solidified role in the lineup, because he seems to take his marching orders and really get after it. I wouldn't squabble too much about who's playing "center" on the 4th line anyways. Petersen will likely play on the 4th line as well, and he might even take the majority of the faceoffs, but Sutherby is a big body, good skater, and strong defensive presence which are all good things in your 4th line center.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:30 PM
txomisc

Ott IMO belongs at wing. While hes at time shown an ability to win faceoffs, hes never shown any ability to play a good two way game at center. If hes going to produce at all offensively he needs to be on the wing of good offensive players. Ott is really not creative or skilled enough to create offense for himself or others and while he throws his body around like a madman, he's doesn't seem to have an ability to play a shutdown type defensive role he might be called upon at center.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I agree about where Ott should fit. Ideally, it gives you the ability to bring him into a faceoff circle if someone gets tossed, and even then, it's not a huge issue for a winger to take a faceoff at critical junctures of games.

I'd assume he's being considered for the upper line wings to a.) maximize his offense and b.) maximize his annoyance by maximizing his ice time. He also demonstrated some markedly improved defense last year, which would make him a nice compliment to a line with more offensively-focused players.

As far as Sutherby versus Petersen, let them battle it out in camp. I liked what I saw from both of them. They're both also able to play wing, so it's not like they can't get on the ice if they're not at center

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:30 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I would be happier with Sutherby as the fourth line center rather than Petersen. Sutherby is a better hockey player than Petersen.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:57 AM
txomisc

I think the unexpected player who can throw a wrench into all of this is Jamie Benn. If he impresses and earns a shot out of camp its most likely at 3rd line LW, or pushes Neal to 3rd line LW, which would probalby push ott out of the top 9.

Old
08-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Caseman

Why is it surprising that Sutherby is beating Petersen for the job? Sutherby was very good last season, which is why he was extended, while Petersen was okay. It wouldn't shock me if Petersen wasn't a healthy scratch to start the season.

Caseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 01:28 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Why is it surprising that Sutherby is beating Petersen for the job? Sutherby was very good last season, which is why he was extended, while Petersen was okay. It wouldn't shock me if Petersen wasn't a healthy scratch to start the season.
Same here. I think Peterson is the 13th forward. I was hoping he could do for the Stars what Tony Hrkac did but it doesnt seem hes going to find even that kind of offense.

Old
08-09-2009, 11:37 PM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Same here. I think Peterson is the 13th forward. I was hoping he could do for the Stars what Tony Hrkac did but it doesnt seem hes going to find even that kind of offense.
don't you EVER disrespect tony "hercules" hrcac.

seriously though, Sutherby is a third line player who will be on our fourth. yea for depth. Ott is a 2nd/3rd tweener imo. I like him on the second. And definitely better on the wing.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Sutherby - Ott - Sawada

Peterson, Barch reserves.

sup

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 07:41 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Sutherby - Ott - Sawada

sup
Petersen is better than Sawada currently and will probably always be better than him.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Caseman

But Sawada is a right-shot, is he not? Petersen is lefty. Unless you don't think that matters on the fourth line.

Caseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 08:51 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
Petersen is better than Sawada currently and will probably always be better than him.
Disagree with this.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:07 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Sutherby - Ott - Sawada

sup
Does this imply that you want Benn starting the year with the big club? You're a winger short otherwise.

Petersen is a better player than Sawada in general right now, but he's not necessarily a better 4th line right winger. And I certainly wouldn't put a ceiling that low on Sawada.

A lot of Petersen's value comes from his ability to control the tempo of the game and his excellent defensive positioning, which are most effectively expressed as a center. That's why I'm a little surprised about this.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 10:03 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

I'm banking on signing Zherdev

Don't hate, it's my Russian homerism.

If not, I could live with Sutherby-Peterson-Sawada but then you're forcing another left shot winger to play the right side. Sawada needs a roster spot if he's going to grow into the sort of checking line winger we'll need for playoff runs. It's either him, or Barch, right?

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote