HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1976 Canada Cup-Team Canada Roster

Old
08-10-2009, 05:21 PM
sidewayzLEAFS

vCash: 500
1976 Canada Cup-Team Canada Roster

Looking at that roster is amzing with so many of them being legends..Im amazed at the depth of this team and this makes me think that this MUST be one of the best assembled teams of All-Time.
Here's the roster:
Bill Barber, Bobby Clarke, Marcel Dionne, Phil Esposito, Bob Gainey, Danny Gare, Bobby Hull, Guy Lafleur, Guy Lapointe, Reggie Leach, Richard Martin, Peter Mahovlich, Lanny McDonald, Bobby Orr, Gilbert Perreault, Denis Potvin, Larry Robinson, Serge Savard, Steve Shutt, Darryl Sittler, Carol Vadnais, Jimmy Watson, Gerry Cheevers, Glenn Resch, Rogatien Vachon
And to top it all off, Scotty Bowman was the coach.

so you have orr, robinson, potvin and savard as your top 4 d-men
the skill and grace of Lafleurand Perreault
the goal scoring of hull and espo
and character and depth guys like Mahovalich, McDonald, Sittler, Gainey, Martin, Clarke, Dionne

this roster just amazes me, the only none mind-boggling part is that in goal you had vachon with cheevers as a backup...I think goaltending is the only part of this team that is superior to other Team Canada's and by no means was that a liability or hole in roster..

in conclusion, having bobby orr on your team never hurts

sidewayzLEAFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
sidewayzLEAFS

NOTE: when i wrote "I think goaltending is the only part of this team that is superior to other Team Canada's and by no means was that a liability or hole in roster.."

i meant isn't as in goaltending wa the weakest part of this team

Old
08-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Ward Cornell

The amazing thing about Orr in the Canada Cup is that he basically missed the entire season before due to his injuries. Because of his surgery and recovery he missed Team Canadas to take it easy on his knee(s).
The end result he was named the tourney's Most Outstanding Player.

Over the next 3 seasons Bobby Orr played a total of 26 games on totally destroyed knees and got "only" 27 points!!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Big Phil

I've always considered the 1976 Canada Cup team the best ever, even over the Soviets of 1979 and the Canadians of 1987 with Mario and Wayne. This team could have beaten you so many ways, and I think that the main strength they had was that everybody for the most part was in their prime

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Canadiens1958

Team Composition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I've always considered the 1976 Canada Cup team the best ever, even over the Soviets of 1979 and the Canadians of 1987 with Mario and Wayne. This team could have beaten you so many ways, and I think that the main strength they had was that everybody for the most part was in their prime
The team was picked to beat the best Europe had to offer based on past performance - Ken Dryden who had problems against the Soviets was left off. Also an emphasis was placed on choosing players who would buy into a team concept - no Vic Hadfield types.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:58 AM
VMBM

It is undoubtedly the best team ever on paper, but IMO the best Soviet teams would have given them a hockey lesson (not a big one but a small one!). Give the 1976 Team Canada a couple of months or so more [to practise together], and it might very well be a different story.

1. Team USSR in the 1978-79 season
2. Team USSR 1981-83
3. Team Canada 1976

4. the rest...

Last edited by VMBM: 08-11-2009 at 04:06 AM.
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 08:19 AM
tommygunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
The team was picked to beat the best Europe had to offer based on past performance - Ken Dryden who had problems against the Soviets was left off.
It wasn't by choice. He was unavailable, recovering from knee surgery.

Bernie Parent was recovering from neck surgery..

tommygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygunn View Post
It wasn't by choice. He was unavailable, recovering from knee surgery.

Bernie Parent was recovering from neck surgery..
Rogie Vachon if he remained in Montreal or played on a east coast team would be more highly thought of that he is.
IMHO Rogie wasn't a step down from any goalies of his generation.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Rogie Vachon if he remained in Montreal or played on a east coast team would be more highly thought of that he is.
Agreed. Not slighting Dryden, but Vachon was working miracles with a lousy Kings team in the '70s. I'm sure he would have thrown up insane numbers with the Habs. And I always wonder how Dryden would have performed with a lesser team.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 08:37 AM
tommygunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Agreed. I was commenting on the fact that Dryden wasn't left off the roster because he "had problems against the Soviets".

tommygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Canadiens1958

Ken Dryden / Rogie Vachon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygunn View Post
Agreed. I was commenting on the fact that Dryden wasn't left off the roster because he "had problems against the Soviets".
Ken Dryden = ~.835 SV % in the 1972 Summit Series. Very ordinary in New Years Eve 3-3 tie vs CSKA. Far from a sure pick.

Rogie Vachon. Would have great short runs but was not durable or reliable long term - evidenced by his inability to take the number one job with the Canadiens post 1967 despite ample opportunities to do so.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:33 AM
brianscot

Vladimir Dzurilla justly became a cult figure of sorts for shutting out that team Canada 1-0.

Stopped all 29 shots, not bad for a pudgy fridge repairman.

Reality might have returned during the finals, but both Dzurilla and Milan Novy both shined during that tournament.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 10:21 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Ken Dryden = ~.835 SV % in the 1972 Summit Series. Very ordinary in New Years Eve 3-3 tie vs CSKA. Far from a sure pick.
Still, it had apparently nothing to do with him not playing in the tournament.

Nevertheless, I do have to say that it's very unlikely that he would've done a better - or even as good as - job than Vachon. He did nearly always look clumsy, awkward, poor-balanced etc. vs. the Soviets. He was good against Czechoslovakia in 1972, though, if my memory serves me right (haven't watched that game for a while).

Old
08-11-2009, 11:00 AM
sidewayzLEAFS

yeah id have to say the top 3 team canada team's in can think of are(in no order):

1972 summit series(not having orr playing hurt, as he was in his prime between 70-74)

1976 canada cup(stellar depth, great top 4 d-men, balance of skill and grit up front)

1987 canadians (mario+wayne=gold)

Old
08-11-2009, 11:09 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewayzLEAFS View Post
yeah id have to say the top 3 team canada team's in can think of are(in no order):

1972 summit series(not having orr playing hurt, as he was in his prime between 70-74)

1976 canada cup(stellar depth, great top 4 d-men, balance of skill and grit up front)

???

Not having Orr playing at all, rather

And I think the 1984 team is seriously underrated. This is probably the thousandth time I've said it: their performance in the semi-final was Canada's best ever vs. USSR in a clutch game IMO.

Old
08-11-2009, 11:44 AM
VMBM

Quote:
not having orr playing hurt
Wow, I guess I totally misunderstood that one; not having Orr playing... hurt... (the team); I think I got it now?

Last edited by VMBM: 08-11-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old
08-11-2009, 05:02 PM
sidewayzLEAFS

yeah, my bead, i kinda worded that one weird but i always would of loved to have seen the outcome of the summit series had Orr played(even though he would of been hurt, like he always was) because just think, he was in his prime and was by far the best player in the world at that time..i think it is resonable to say that if they played those 8 gamesagain(no the standard 7), canada would of won the series like 6-2 rather than the 4 wins, 3 loses and 1 tie outcome that arised

Old
08-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:

This was perhaps the most ill prepared team ever...even though the most famous they were far from one of the best

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 10:28 PM
thom

Vachon had an incredible 1.33 ga average.They had 17 or 18 hall of famers an incredible team.Even so Czech gave them some problems.And there seemed problems with some big egoes on the team which could have caused friction on the team

thom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Zine

The best team in the history of hockey does not put up a goose egg. Plain and simple.

1. 1979 Soviet Union
2. 1981 Soviet/1987 Canada
3. 1976 Canada

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
???

Not having Orr playing at all, rather

And I think the 1984 team is seriously underrated. This is probably the thousandth time I've said it: their performance in the semi-final was Canada's best ever vs. USSR in a clutch game IMO.
This.

The 1984 Canadian performance against Soviets was the best by any Canadian team imo.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 06:23 AM
reckoning

Best team ever on paper. And yet with all that talent, they still came one loss away from not even making the final. Such is the nature of a new team in a short series. Though they clearly getting better as the series progressed, and it's scary to think of how dominant they could have been if they played together for several months.

Players who ended up being cut from the team:

G- Dan Bouchard
D- Dave Burrows
D- Paul Shmyr
D- Carol Vadnais
F- Dan Maloney
F- Jean Pronovost
F- Rene Robert

I imagine most of those guys must've known they didn't have a chance; though Pronovost had just finished a 100+ point season while Robert had one the year before. A little surprised Jean Ratelle wasn't there, as he played well in '72 and had just had a big season. And even though he was just a rookie, Bryan Trottier would've been an interesting choice.

Brad Park was unavailable because of knee problems. Had he been there, they would've had six Hall of Famers for their defence.

Don Cherry mentioned in his book that Cheevers laziness in practice really ticked off the other coaches. Add in the fact that Vachon was taking camp seriously and working hard, it made an easy decision on who to start in goal.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
The best team in the history of hockey does not put up a goose egg. Plain and simple.

1. 1979 Soviet Union
2. 1981 Soviet/1987 Canada
3. 1976 Canada
The best team in history doesn't lose to a team with two days experience playing together. Plain and simple. The Soviets had some great teams, but I wouldn't put any of them ahead of Sweden '06 or Czech R '98. There is a big difference between the best team on paper and the best performing team. The only team to go undefeated in a best on best was Canada in '04. Impressive since not only did they win every game, but at no point were they even down by a goal!

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 12:38 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
The best team in history doesn't lose to a team with two days experience playing together. Plain and simple. The Soviets had some great teams, but I wouldn't put any of them ahead of Sweden '06 or Czech R '98. There is a big difference between the best team on paper and the best performing team. The only team to go undefeated in a best on best was Canada in '04. Impressive since not only did they win every game, but at no point were they even down by a goal!
Maybe it needs to be reminded that they avenged that loss; remember the 6-0 game, for instance?

Sweden '06? The team that got blasted by the poorly-coached Russia? Czech '98? The team that wouldn't have won anything without Hasek?

Your comment about 'the best team on paper' and 'best performing team' is really weird, since if anything, the 1979 Soviets proved that they were a great performing team.

Canada in 2004? Oh yeah, they won some tournament that nobody remembers...

Last edited by Chalupa Batman: 09-04-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Not needed.
Old
09-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 613
Quote:
yeah, my bead, i kinda worded that one weird but i always would of loved to have seen the outcome of the summit series had Orr played(even though he would of been hurt, like he always was) because just think, he was in his prime and was by far the best player in the world at that time..i think it is resonable to say that if they played those 8 gamesagain(no the standard 7), canada would of won the series like 6-2 rather than the 4 wins, 3 loses and 1 tie outcome that arised
I dont know man. You won the last three games by a single goal and from a fringe Summit Series-guy like Henderson. They were up 3-1-1 before that.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote