HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jones signs on for 2 years.

Old
08-10-2009, 11:03 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Jones signs on for 2 years.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=287337

Decent player, would like to see how he plays this season.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 07:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i think he's got the tools to be a scott hartnell type player...with the right icetime and confidence, I think he's a better in-house second liner than Joel Ward.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 08:31 AM
echlfreak

too much for a kid who was up and down all year. Cal is a much better player so does that mean Cal should get 1.25M? If you compared points per game

Cal=0.454 points per game...3G...2A...5 points in 11 games...plus about 80 pts a year in the AHL

Jones=0.369 points per game.....7G...10A...17 points in 46 games

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:08 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Based on my spreadsheet, the Preds are at 42.6 Million with 2 open spots on the roster.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:41 AM
deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
too much for a kid who was up and down all year. Cal is a much better player so does that mean Cal should get 1.25M? If you compared points per game

Cal=0.454 points per game...3G...2A...5 points in 11 games...plus about 80 pts a year in the AHL

Jones=0.369 points per game.....7G...10A...17 points in 46 games
Jones made almost this much last year, so it was basically 950,000+ or nothing. Yes I know he turned down QO and Poile could have started negotiations from scratch. But thats not how you treat players you want to keep. Not sure what you want to pay someone that will potentially get 2nd line time. But 975 is a good price.

Ward=.443 ppg

Cal should get 1.65 mil

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think he will be worth it. He was a rookie last year. He will be a third liner at worst in this league IMO.

08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

It is a one way for 2 yrs, that made it more palatable for Jones. Think this guy had to be signed. Now if he will be given the right ice time...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Really happy about this. Loved Hartnell and Jones, hopefully, will be my new favorite.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 04:30 PM
OpenWheel

Yes, welcome Mr. Jones. Again.

I think he showed some ability last year. Hopefully he's better and earns more minutes this year.

The price seems very fair.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 07:55 PM
dulzhok

Jones' price is jacked b/c Jones was overpaid on his entry level deal... he had leverage of being a UFA if we didn't sign him (see Blake Wheeler).

Any chance we extend Rinne this offseason? Hamhuis? Both are UFA next year. Poile rarely extends contracts before they are up. Can't really find any good reason for it. The few times he's done it (Legwand), he's overpaid.

I look around the league and see guys who were extended (Dustin Brown, Mike Richards, etc). They swooped in and offered an extension before they really established themselves, now it looks like a bargain.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 08:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
too much for a kid who was up and down all year.
He made $920k last year, so he's getting roughly a $55k raise. Questioning this signing is just ridiculous.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Jones' price is jacked b/c Jones was overpaid on his entry level deal... he had leverage of being a UFA if we didn't sign him (see Blake Wheeler).

Any chance we extend Rinne this offseason? Hamhuis? Both are UFA next year. Poile rarely extends contracts before they are up. Can't really find any good reason for it. The few times he's done it (Legwand), he's overpaid.

I look around the league and see guys who were extended (Dustin Brown, Mike Richards, etc). They swooped in and offered an extension before they really established themselves, now it looks like a bargain.
And then there are guys like Horcoff, Michalek, etc. who haven't quite lived up to their early extension, and now the GMs look like fools for taking that risk.

I still get the feeling that Hamhuis will be gone next year, and not because we don't want him. He'll price himself out of Nashville, if he even wants to stay.

Regarding Rinne, I can understand why either side would want to wait on an extension. Rinne would get more money if he signed next summer, and Poile may want to avoid another Mason situation and wait until a goalie proves himself before extending him. That being said, I'd like to see Rinne signed immediately. He's convinced me that he's the real deal.

On Jones, we didn't give him his entry level contract. Minnesota did.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote