HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Capitol Broadcasting buys 620 The Bull, 850 The Buzz gone

Old
08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

vCash: 500
Capitol Broadcasting buys 620 The Bull, 850 The Buzz gone

I guess this is somewhat relevant given the radio coverage for the Canes in the Triangle. 99.9 The Fan probably took a massive chunk out of 850's market share.

http://www.wral.com/business/story/5764696/

Quote:
Raleigh, N.C. — Sports talk radio will soon have one parent voice on AM, FM and in Spanish across the Triangle.

In a complex series of transactions involving the sale of multiple properties and format changes disclosed Monday afternoon, Capitol Broadcasting is acquiring WDNC 620 AM “The Bull” sports radio from Curtis Media. WDNC is based in Durham.

Capitol owns and operates 99.9 The Fan FM station in Raleigh. It is affiliated with ESPN Radio.

At the same time, Curtis Media is acquiring 850 The Buzz AM in Raleigh from McClatchey Broadcasting and plans to change the format from sports talk to music. Curtis Media also operates WPTF 680 AM in Raleigh and other stations across the state.

08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Chrispy

Interesting changes. Both morning sports shows stay.

Glenn moves to replace the Sports Lunch. I don't know if that will mean more hockey from Glenn. The Sports Lunch was usually pretty good about getting Forslund and Tracy on as guests as well as some players. 850 usually had Chuck for that short segment in the morning. This move should give all the shows more flexibility in terms of guests which I think is a good thing.

I guess this also means Insiders and Packman in the afternoon. Packman won't cover hockey until April at the earliest, so that leaves some combination of Maniscalco, Jackson, and Thomas from 3-6. I assume Morgan Patrick will be kept on one station in the evening for the NASCAR fanbase.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 06:32 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

but are we going to be lucky enough to be rid of Bomani Jones and his unlistenable blathering......thats right I am hate hate hate hate hate hating on the no talent gasbag

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Chrispy

Update from JP Giglio on the N&O ACC blog.

Quote:
The lineups for 99.9 and 620 potentially looks like this:

620-WDNC
6 a.m.-9 a.m.: Adam Gold and Joe Ovies (local)
9 a.m.-noon: Taylor Zarzour (local)
Noon-3 p.m.: Jim Rome (syndicated)
3 p.m.-7 p.m.: Mark Packer (syndicated)

99.9-WCMC
6 a.m.-10 a.m.: Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic (ESPN)
10 a.m.-noon: Colin Cowherd (ESPN)
Noon-3 p.m.: Dave Glenn (local)
3 p.m.-7 p.m.: Scott Jackson and Mark Thomas (local)
I'm surprised they are pulling Morgan Patrick given that he is the NASCAR guy on these stations. I wasn't a big fan of Zarzour and I'm surprised he gets another chance after 1090 flopped, but after hearing Bomani's show I am happy with that move as well.

Old
08-10-2009, 10:29 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I guess Taylor wont be on 96rock in the morning anymore. Curtis Media boots him over to Capitol for his own show.....now we have to listen to 3 hours of self-righteousness each day....sigh

Old
08-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Wonder if there is any chance that 620 also picks up Canes games to provide an AM presence (and presumably larger broadcast coverage area)? I guess not, since the need for that AM presence isn't quite the same now.

With webcasts and Sirius/XM, the day of dialing in the out-of-state AM stations to hear other games is largely-gone, but it was a fixture of my youth (although I sometimes will go to 660 and listen to a Devils game, or see what else I can get just for the heck of it).

I don't know if many of you are old enough to remember when it was the thing to see what out-of-area AM stations (and baseball or hockey games) you could pick up at night. I used to lie in bed and listen to stations from New Orleans to Miami to the northeast and midwest and think how cool that was (times were a little different then pre-cable, pre-computerm, pre-video games - there was not much in the way of late night entertainment options).

I remember probably the first larger city sports radio show I heard (the ones around Charlotte where I grew up were very local), at night you could pick up WWWE ("3WE") in Cleveland and there was a forerunner of the 'shockjock' there named Pete Franklin (I think, can't recall his last name) who would talk sports and absolutely ridicule some of his guests. This was in the 70's, and in the Carolinas we'd never heard anything like that. A harbinger of things to come.

As to the lineup, I was hoping that Mike M might inherit the second slot that he has been filling in on for that 99.9 afternoon show. If they are going to keep it as Jackson and Thomas, somebody please turn Mark Thomas' microphone off whenever they talk hockey. Mark was a good football player, and as a former college football player with a cup of coffee in the pros I guess he fills the football need (albeit biasedly), but I almost physically cringe whenever he asks a question of a hockey guest.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Chrispy

I also remember that, and I remember driving at night and scanning for random games and attempting to guess who was involved. Between small NC stations playing Southern conference games and the larger networks, it could be very difficult to identify a college game at night.

That said, XM is a godsend for driving back and forth to college games now. I don't have to worry about flipping between stations as I exit and enter coverage areas, what is randomly coming in that night, or how long it will take to get back into 99.9's coverage area.

I saw information elsewhere that 99.9 may be trying to move to a more powerful antenna in Holly Springs which would give the Cary area much better coverage. Considering I can't get 99.9 on many radios in the house because of other stations, this would be a great thing. But I doubt 620 AM would help the southern Triangle in coverage; it is north of Durham and only 1,000 watts at night.

Last edited by Chrispy: 08-11-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old
08-11-2009, 10:28 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

if they are hoping for a legitmate AM presence on 620 then they better beef up the power. There are tons of places all over downtown/southern Raleigh and Cary i cant get 620 clearly or at all.

Old
08-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Quote:
I saw information elsewhere that 99.9 may be trying to move to a more powerful antenna in Holly Springs which would give the Cary area much better coverage.
THANK GOD. I live in downtown Raleigh and can't even pick it up inside my home without standing in a precise spot with the radio in my hand tilted at the proper angle. Not only is their current antenna weak, but it is located in Youngsville.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
THANK GOD. I live in downtown Raleigh and can't even pick it up inside my home without standing in a precise spot with the radio in my hand tilted at the proper angle. Not only is their current antenna weak, but it is located in Youngsville.
Agreed. My stereo and radio won't pick up 99.9, but my ancient walkman will by some strange luck.

Here's the current 99.9 coverage map.

This is the proposed new antenna.
Not exactly what I thought when I read Holly Springs, but the strength looks much better, even hitting Durham from SE of Raleigh.