HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Hit the Ice

Old
08-09-2009, 05:38 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Aren't Blues one of the more storied (and I assumed one of the wealthier) teams in the Finnish league? Strange...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Noldo

Little background info about the situation and Espoo Blues (hockey team Nättinen plays for).

Espoo Blues is far from the storied franchises in Finland, having been in existence only for mere 10 seasons. However, the team is been owned by Jussi Salonoja, a Finnish millionare. Salonoja has been eager to spend considerable money to the team (in Finnish scale) and the team have been among the big spenders in the Finnish national league throughout their existence. However, the team's best achievements so far have been second place on 2007/08 season and second place in the regular season on 2008/09 season.

Blues also earned spot in the Chapions Hockey League (CHL) for 2008/09 season and lost in semi-finals to the eventual champion Zürich Lions. Since Blues also earned spot in CHL for season 2009/10, they had originally prepared to have larger amount of players than needed for Finnish Elite League Season, in order to have succifient depth to stay competitive also in CHL. Due the cancellation of CHL for this season, those investments are naturally in vain.

With no additional revenues to be expected from CHL, Blues currently have too expensive roster and with no CHL games they don't need such an extensive roster either. But they are still contractually obliged to pay those players and since there isn't really option to trade players in Finland, the most practical option was to allow all players to try to find new location for themselves.

So far there has been no indications that Blues would not be playing in Finnish Elite League next season and I doubt Nättinen has much interest to change team, after all, he would most likely have quite significant role in Blues, something that could be good for his hopes for NHL career.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Thx Noldo! your report seems to make a lot of sense to me. Do you know why the champions league was cancelled? Is it because of the economy?

Last edited by L'abstrait: 08-11-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Spelling error in Noldo's name! yikes!
L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 12:45 PM
vokiel
I hate blind callups

Thank you Nodo.

The team isn't really in trouble, that's just an exaggeration imho.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:41 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Can he play in the ECHL? Maybe we should think about asking him to do that.
Probably not going to happen but I had to send an email to the ECHL to ask what was the minimum age limit, and the answer is 18.

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'abstrait View Post
Thx Nodo! your report seems to make a lot of sense to me. Do you know why the champions league was cancelled? Is it because of the economy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Thank you Nodo.

The team isn't really in trouble, that's just an exaggeration imho.
least you guys could do is spell his name right.

thanks noldo

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:38 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'abstrait View Post
Thx Nodo! your report seems to make a lot of sense to me. Do you know why the champions league was cancelled? Is it because of the economy?
Yes, champions league was cancelled because of economy. There has also been reports that team received their money from the first season late and there we're difficulties with the payments.

Espoo Blues's coach told the Finnish media today that he isn't expecting any additional player to leave the team at this point (the players were released to seek new contract in June).

Just to clarify the situation a bit more, Espoo Blues had budget of approximately 7.0 million Euro last season. The team has generated losses each season, with 3.3 million last season and 3.1 and 2.6 million in the previous two seaons (all figures in Euro).

The budget is fourth highest in 13 team league, with highest budget at 8.4 and two other teams at 7.1 million. The losses are by far the largest (although there could be some revenues could be allocated to the mother company, and the payments from the mother company are not included in the loss shown by Espoo Blues).

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:24 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Espoo Blues's coach told the Finnish media today that he isn't expecting any additional player to leave the team at this point (the players were released to seek new contract in June).

Thanks for clearing that up.

I edited the title since it was misleading.

Glad to hear he's playing well for Team Finland at the 5 Nations, look forward to seeing at the wjc's, hope Finland goes far so I can watch him on tv.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Maxpac

I don't get the new thread title?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:55 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Probably not going to happen but I had to send an email to the ECHL to ask what was the minimum age limit, and the answer is 18.
Sweet.

Thanks for the info.

If he were to come over - I'd rather him play in the ECHL. It's a little bit closer to the FEL level - and the AHL might be too much of a step up right away.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:19 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
me either

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Basszor

Quote:
I guess its because there's a video of him but i'm probably wrong

Basszor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Me neither.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 07:01 PM
ngc_5128

The new title reflects the fact that our two finnish prospects have 'hit the ice' and are playing in the 5 nations tourney.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote