HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign four: Danny Syvret, Zac Rinaldo, Nicola Riopel and David Sloane

Old
08-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

vCash: 500
Flyers sign four: Danny Syvret, Zac Rinaldo, Nicola Riopel and David Sloane

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=469863
Quote:

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have signed defenseman Danny Syvret to a one-year contract, center Zac Rinaldo to a three-year entry-level contract and goaltender Nicola Riopel and defenseman David Sloane to one-year American Hockey League contracts, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren. Per club policy, financial terms were not disclosed.
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...769&feedID=695

Quote:
Also signed today to AHL contracts were defenseman Danny Syvret (a one-year deal); center Zac Rinaldo (a three-year entry-level deal); and defenseman David Sloane (a one-year deal).

Syvretís contract is two-way. He could earn $575,000 if he plays with the Flyers this season and thatís likely via a call-up basis.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-11-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:41 PM
IrishSniper87

Syvret and Riopel signings are good to hear.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:50 PM
ThePiousInfant

Doesn't this put us over 50 contracts?

ThePiousInfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:53 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiousInfant View Post
No, Syvret apparently is #49.

The other guys are AHL only or something.

Old
08-11-2009, 02:58 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Rinaldo has to count as well, since hes on an ELC.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
IrishSniper87

Then Rinaldo and Syvret make it 50 even.

Jones to LA for picks? Please?

Jones and Carcillo for a roster player???

Old
08-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Flyersguru

Syvret is contract #49 and Rinaldo is contract #50.

Sloane and Riopel are AHL only contracts.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:11 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiousInfant View Post
Including Rinaldo, it puts us at 49, plus Ross who is a RFA.

http://www.capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php?Team=24

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Hopefully Ross is signed like rumored before.

I wish Rinaldo wasnt signed

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I thought that all the contracts counted... Two-way contracts account for the different salaries paid depending on what level the player is playing, and I thought that every player could be called up -- even the college undrafted players had to be signed to a tryout contract, which did not count against the 50 contracts -- Are we saying here that only certain players can be called up...and/or only certain players are considered contract players? Can the non-counted-contracted play with the Flyers in a pinch?

This is all news to me... I assumed that all Flyers and Phantoms, and players on loan or in a lower league were counted, along with the Junior players signed to a contract.

Can anyone point out the guide lines as to who is and who is not included in the allowed 50 contracts, and who can and can't be called up to the NHL?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Then Rinaldo and Syvret make it 50 even.

Jones to LA for picks? Please?

Jones and Carcillo for a roster player???
I guess now Homer is bound to make a trade to lose a contract if another winger is to be signed... or one has to go the other way if one is obtained in a deal.

Once again we are painted into a corner... if in fact the contracted total is 50. Homer's options are again restricted.

Old
08-11-2009, 04:01 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
I thought that all the contracts counted... Two-way contracts account for the different salaries paid depending on what level the player is playing, and I thought that every player could be called up -- even the college undrafted players had to be signed to a tryout contract, which did not count against the 50 contracts -- Are we saying here that only certain players can be called up...and/or only certain players are considered contract players? Can the non-counted-contracted play with the Flyers in a pinch?

This is all news to me... I assumed that all Flyers and Phantoms, and players on loan or in a lower league were counted, along with the Junior players signed to a contract.

Can anyone point out the guide lines as to who is and who is not included in the allowed 50 contracts, and who can and can't be called up to the NHL?
AHL only contracts are not counted, unless called up to the NHL and play over 11 games. At that point, they are then counted against the 50. (IIRC)

Old
08-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
AHL only contracts are not counted, unless called up to the NHL and play over 11 games. At that point, they are then counted against the 50. (IIRC)
Thanks... So I suppose they consider 50 players to be NHL worthy, or will be... and I assume that shifting from a non-contracted status to a contracted one, and vice versa is no easy matter.

Interesting... I never knew about that.

Old
08-11-2009, 04:20 PM
itstheroc87

dumb question..... if riopel is only signed to an ahl deal and does well, could he be signed by another nhl club(similar to the boucher situation a couple of years ago) or do we still own his nhl rights?

itstheroc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 04:25 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
^ Thats what I am wondering as well. I wondering why he wasnt signed to an ELC.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 04:39 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheroc87 View Post
dumb question..... if riopel is only signed to an ahl deal and does well, could he be signed by another nhl club(similar to the boucher situation a couple of years ago) or do we still own his nhl rights?
Nah we own his rights. Boucher was a UFA

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Do these contracts mean that we can call them up to the NHL for a full season? say riopel lights the AHL on fire then gets a shot at the NHL where he becomes the greatest goaltender in the history of the NHL in one season. Can he stay with the club or does he have to go back after 11 games?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Kaktus*

I always wonder about Syvrets future. Can he play in NHL and will he make it?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 05:17 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

First of all about the signings: love it for all but Sloan. Rinaldo hits anything and everything , sticks up for teammates better than anyone in the OHL, and hopefully will displace either Clackson or Klotz. Riopel I'm actually excited about which I haven't been for a Flyer goalie since Boucher was a Phantom (actually I had high hopes for Ouelette but I try to forget that). Syvet is border line NHL/7th man ready if not there already.

As for the 50 contracts thing, I'm not calling some of you liers but I just don't buy the AHL only thing for guys we just drafted. If guys like Klotz and Bellamy count towards the 50 then so do Rinaldo and Riopel. If there were a loophole that easy to skip around the 50 contracts rule then there is no way on Gods green earth that half of those guys on Cap Geek that are currently counting would have been signed to any other contract option. Sorry, I just don't believe it.

Maybe Sloan can sign some kind of wierd AHL only thing but not guys that we have drafted in recent years.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I always wonder about Syvrets future. Can he play in NHL and will he make it?
I always got the impressions that he was a System depth move... and will stay that way unless the D is hit hard and heavy again at the end of the season and beyond -- past post season injuries at D have done the Flyers hopes in, on more than one occasion -- In the mean time, he is a solid piece of the Phantom core.

Old
08-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
I always got the impressions that he was a System depth move... and will stay that way unless the D is hit hard and heavy again at the end of the season and beyond -- past post season injuries at D have done the Flyers hopes in, on more than one occasion -- In the mean time, he is a solid piece of the Phantom core.
Solid? I'd say he is more then solid. D-men that scores like forward on AHL level is not somehting you see on rgular basis.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 05:27 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

this puts us at 51 btw, but Zac Rinaldo is only 19, and won't be 20 'til June 2010, so i don't think his contract will count because he'll go back to the OHL for one more season.

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Solid? I'd say he is more then solid. D-men that scores like forward on AHL level is not somehting you see on rgular basis.
Was I too sedate in my description of his AHL status?

I guess I'm saying that he is a Crash Davis type minor league player... He is an exceptional AHL player, but is doomed to be only depth in the system. The Phantoms need veterans to man the team... They do want to win for their fans, and need a base team that will carry them through all the poaching by the parent club.

I think that if he was good enough at both ends of the puck, he would be on the NHL roster... especially at his Cap hit.

Old
08-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
this puts us at 51 btw, but Zac Rinaldo is only 19, and won't be 20 'til June 2010, so i don't think his contract will count because he'll go back to the OHL for one more season.
I though Junior contracted players took up a slot -- one reason that some aren't signed right away -- even if they stay in Juniors.

Are we counting Rathje... rather than giving them an exception? I don't believe a team can go over 50 contracts at any time -- The Ducks had to give us a throw-in (Dingle) to get back to 50 contracts.

Old
08-11-2009, 07:40 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 907
I put this in the OP, too.

From Tim P.:

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...769&feedID=695

Quote:
The goaltending situation just got a little more interesting for the Flyers – in terms of organizational depth.

Tuesday afternoon, the club signed four players, among them, goalie Nicola Riopel, a 20-year-old prospect who was immediately assigned to the Phantoms.

Riopel was the Flyers’ fifth-round pick in this summer’s draft. His one-year deal implies he has a shot at being the backup on the Adirondack Phantoms this season.

“It’s important to turn him pro somewhere,” said general manager Paul Holmgren from the Czech Republic, where he is scouting this week. “He needs to play at a higher level. Either at the American League or if we had to send to the East Coast League.

“He’s been in the Quebec league three or four years and needs to take that next step. We’ll see how he looks in training camp. If he’s ready to play in the American League, we’ll put him there.”

Heading into training camp, Swedish netminder Johan Backlund, who the Flyers are eager to see play, will have the upper hand as the potential starter.
Quote:
Also signed today to AHL contracts were defenseman Danny Syvret (a one-year deal); center Zac Rinaldo (a three-year entry-level deal); and defenseman David Sloane (a one-year deal).

Syvret’s contract is two-way. He could earn $575,000 if he plays with the Flyers this season and that’s likely via a call-up basis.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote