HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Horton-Stafford trade talks heating up

Old
08-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
So you want Stafford? I understand the displeasure towards Horton, but i don't think you realise thst Stafford is still a clear downgrade. Its like all the Ranger fans who are now calling Zherdev garbage, when he was still an above average NHL player. Horton is the same to an extent, fustrating to have and watch, but you still shouldn't downgrade the asset for a less productive and talented player. What else would Buffalo package of interest? We aren't getting another top 6 forward, or a top F prospect back. Thats what we need. Im not convinced downgrading Horton's productivity and upside is worth picking up another solid but average defenseman along with Stafford.
not saying I'm out pining for Stafford, but I'm at least interested in the package. Plus, it's summer and we now have something to talk about. I'd rather we did a Nate for Heater swap, but we all know the likelihood of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
.7 what? The fact is Horton has scored 62 pts. twice, and likely would have again last season if he didn't get hurt and played on the wing. Stafford is still unproven and had a subpar year last year. Their production isn't really that close.

I actually think we'd be looking at another forward coming back with Stafford or a good prospect, or both. We don't need any of their d-men they'd be willing to give up.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=671641&page=2 Was referring to post #33.

Some guy who used to work for the team says he's heard Paille, Stafford, and a prospect for Nate. Not sure about that.

08-11-2009, 06:25 PM
FlaPanthers7

I don't understand the logic in this either. You trade a guy signed through 2012-2013 at a cap-friendly deal for a 2x 30-goal scorer who volunteered to play out of position last year as our #1 center basically and still scored 22 goals for an RFA??? Am I missing something here?

Horts frustrates all of us but he is still young and has so much talent. I think our expectations are high for him given how guys like Kane, Toews, etc. have come into the league and put up points at very young ages. I think with some maturity Horton & some true top-end talent at center he can still become a 40 goal scorer.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
I don't understand the logic in this either. You trade a guy signed through 2012-2013 at a cap-friendly deal for a 2x 30-goal scorer who volunteered to play out of position last year as our #1 center basically and still scored 22 goals for an RFA??? Am I missing something here?

Horts frustrates all of us but he is still young and has so much talent. I think our expectations are high for him given how guys like Kane, Toews, etc. have come into the league and put up points at very young ages. I think with some maturity Horton & some true top-end talent at center he can still become a 40 goal scorer.
I don't have expectations based on other players and how they've done, I have expectations based on the flashes Nate shows and never is consistent with.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:36 PM
PanthersRule96

lol if we make this deal, we'll be even more pathetic than I thought. What a joke

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:39 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Im sorry but this trade makes no sense. Trading a guy who is signed to a very reasonable contract for a downgrade and RFA???? This seems hard to believe. There has to be more to this than all the proposals everyone is throwing out. We really have no need to trade Horton right now and if we do we desperately to need replace his offense. Stafford is not going to cut it. FLA is not in any panic mode right now and does not need to unload Horton unless it is a great package coming back. With the proposals that are being offered and rumored, it basically makes this trade from a FLA point of view that they want Horton out and will take whatever. I think if Horton gets moved to Buffalo, it doesnt happen unless a Roy or Vanek comes back. If Sexson makes this trade to what these rumors are saying, I will be furious.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
lol if we make this deal, we'll be even more pathetic than I thought. What a joke
You don't even know what could be coming back yet. Could be crap, could be Ballard-like...you know, where most weren't happy at all at first.

Old
08-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Crossbar Ping

I would be very pissed off if Horton is traded for Stafford.

I would give Raymond, Schnieder, and a 3rd rounder or something for Horton.

The guy is big dude with skill and heart. What more do you want.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:46 PM
RunAmucK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Im sorry but this trade makes no sense. Trading a guy who is signed to a very reasonable contract for a downgrade and RFA???? This seems hard to believe. There has to be more to this than all the proposals everyone is throwing out. We really have no need to trade Horton right now and if we do we desperately to need replace his offense. Stafford is not going to cut it. FLA is not in any panic mode right now and does not need to unload Horton unless it is a great package coming back. With the proposals that are being offered and rumored, it basically makes this trade from a FLA point of view that they want Horton out and will take whatever. I think if Horton gets moved to Buffalo, it doesnt happen unless a Roy or Vanek comes back. If Sexson makes this trade to what these rumors are saying, I will be furious.
Horton wont fetch that id take Jason Pominville for horton would relieve a little cap space not much a little...

Last edited by RunAmucK: 08-11-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: for buff
RunAmucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:53 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post

The value of Schneider to the Panthers is not that high IMO.
We got Vokoun and Clemmenson in the NHL and got Markstrom and Salak as our up in coming goalies for the future.
Replace him with either another forward prospect(Grabner) or a defensive player (Bieska) and drop the pick if needed.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post

What?

Old
08-11-2009, 07:06 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksfla View Post
Horton wont fetch that id take Jason Pominville for horton would relieve a little cap space not much a little...
I forgot about JP. That would work.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 07:19 PM
PanthersRule96

Pominville's good but I doubt buffalo would deal him. Plus I think I'd rather have Horton. He's still extremely young and is a "powerforward," usually not developed until about 26-27. He's played on several panther teams that have sucked, so I can understand his nights where he floats when it looks like we'll be mediocre and out of the playoffs. This past year he rarely floated down the stretch. You expect him to do it all out there. It's so idiotic IMO. There needs to be a good setup man to pair him with. Horton is our most talented forward and without him, Booth and Weiss would be much less productive. It makes no sense to trade him for a less talented player and accept quantity for quality. Just sign someone to play with Horton and watch him explode for 40. He's been forced to be a playmaker rather than a shooter, which has hurt his numbers.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Pominville's good but I doubt buffalo would deal him. Plus I think I'd rather have Horton. He's still extremely young and is a "powerforward," usually not developed until about 26-27. He's played on several panther teams that have sucked, so I can understand his nights where he floats when it looks like we'll be mediocre and out of the playoffs. This past year he rarely floated down the stretch. You expect him to do it all out there. It's so idiotic IMO. There needs to be a good setup man to pair him with. Horton is our most talented forward and without him, Booth and Weiss would be much less productive. It makes no sense to trade him for a less talented player and accept quantity for quality. Just sign someone to play with Horton and watch him explode for 40. He's been forced to be a playmaker rather than a shooter, which has hurt his numbers.
Booth and Weiss weren't often with Nate last season. When has Nate been asked to be a playmaker?

Old
08-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=671641&page=2 Was referring to post #33.

Some guy who used to work for the team says he's heard Paille, Stafford, and a prospect for Nate. Not sure about that.
OK, well their career PPG is similar, but you have to factor in Stafford's rookie year he played on the President's Trophy winning team and that really inflated his numbers. He's also missed a bunch of games, with injury and also he only played a half season in 06-07 so it's easier for him to have a better PPG average than Horton who's been in the league longer. Fact is, Stafford has only scored 20 goals once, and is not nearly as good as Horton is.

If it was Stafford, Paille, and a prospect like Gerbe or Kennedy, I could live with that. I still wouldn't like it though.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I'm not overly excited by what's being rumored, but as I've said, I'm interested in it all.

Old
08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Booth and Weiss weren't often with Nate last season. When has Nate been asked to be a playmaker?
But Pete has said he wants the Sunrise Xpress to play together this season.

And last season Horton was asked to be a playmaker.

Old
08-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Montsy14

Hope this doesn't happen.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 08:38 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I really hope this doesn't happen either. I'm all for trading Horton only IF the deal benefits us in the long-run. For Stafford straight up would certainly not, but if they made a certain deal that would help us out, I'd at least think about it. While I've felt critical of Horton over the past few seasons because he definitely hasn't had numbers that a 3rd overall pick five seasons ago should have, I agree that he still has plenty of potential at his young age to live up to his expectations. Whether it's playing with more skilled line mates or to stop being so streaky, I think he can only get better as he ages over the next decade. The question is how much better.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
I really hope this doesn't happen either. I'm all for trading Horton only IF the deal benefits us in the long-run. For Stafford straight up would certainly not, but if they made a certain deal that would help us out, I'd at least think about it. While I've felt critical of Horton over the past few seasons because he definitely hasn't had numbers that a 3rd overall pick five seasons ago should have, I agree that he still has plenty of potential at his young age to live up to his expectations. Whether it's playing with more skilled line mates or to stop being so streaky, I think he can only get better as he ages over the next decade. The question is how much better.

If they want Stafford so badly (which I don't think is the case, rather, I think Buffalo is pushing for Horton), then 1.) why don't we throw an offer sheet at him and 2.)If Buffalo really wants Horton, we should be in a position of strength and should be getting back more than just Stafford, and not just 3rd and 4th line guys and a mid draft pick.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Spam thread!!!
just kidding Acad!
GP, you heard any inside news on this rumor???

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:40 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
This organization gets dumber by the day.

Why trade Horton? He's got a GREAT contract and isn't exactly a pylon out there.

Stafford is terrible and slow. He's the complete opposite in terms of what this team is going for in its look (fast and skilled).

I'm thinking this is a pipe dream from some pathetic Sabres fan but with this organization who knows. To trade one of our best offensive weapons for a 3rd liner who is UNSIGNED is just straight up retarded.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:43 PM
CaptPantalones

If it happens, I think you guys would like Stafford. While hes not at Hortons level, hes had a very stellar career and will likely hit the 30-35 goal mark consistently. Hes great with the puck and has size and speed to boot. One of my favorite Sabres.

The other rumored forward that may be included is Dan Paille, a very solid 3rd line player who could be a 2nd line LW on some teams. Had 20 goals 2 yrs ago and could hit again

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post

Why trade Horton? He's got a GREAT contract and isn't exactly a pylon out there.

Stafford is terrible and slow. He's the complete opposite in terms of what this team is going for in its look (fast and skilled).

I'm thinking this is a pipe dream from some pathetic Sabres fan but with this organization who knows. To trade one of our best offensive weapons for a 3rd liner who is UNSIGNED is just straight up retarded.
Well, I'm totally against this proposed trade, but Stafford isn't slow and is not a 3rd liner, to be fair to him.

Old
08-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
If it happens, I think you guys would like Stafford. While hes not at Hortons level, hes had a very stellar career and will likely hit the 30-35 goal mark consistently. Hes great with the puck and has size and speed to boot. One of my favorite Sabres.

The other rumored forward that may be included is Dan Paille, a very solid 3rd line player who could be a 2nd line LW on some teams. Had 20 goals 2 yrs ago and could hit again
If I'm to take your word for it that you have inside info, then any idea on the prospect included? D/F? Any names?

Old
08-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post

Stafford's terrible and slow? A 3rd liner?

I love how the organization gets dumber by the day (putting it ALL on them) and then you try to deflect it all on Sabres fans. Which is it?

No one knows what all the details involved are.