Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Get Well Soon Getz

Old
08-01-2009, 11:40 AM
jigger

vCash: 500
come on, comparing getz to pahlsson is a little silly. Didn't pahlsson also have his surgery later in the year and it forced him to miss training camp and games as well? It sounds like Getzlaf will at least be able to work out again with the guys when camp opens which I think is huge in helping players get ready for the coming season.

jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Chea*

Ouch hopefully this doesn't affect his play next year. I was expecting a big year from Getz.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigger View Post
come on, comparing getz to pahlsson is a little silly. Didn't pahlsson also have his surgery later in the year and it forced him to miss training camp and games as well? It sounds like Getzlaf will at least be able to work out again with the guys when camp opens which I think is huge in helping players get ready for the coming season.
Well...

Quote:
Top-line center Ryan Getzlaf, recovering from Wednesday surgery to repair a torn abdominal muscle, anticipates being in the lineup when the Ducks open the 2009-10 NHL regular-season Oct. 3 against the rival San Jose Sharks at Honda Center.
Getzlaf isn’t so sure about his status for the Sept. 13 opening of training camp.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Paul4587

That might explain why he was so ineffective during a stretch of games in January and February.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
That might explain why he was so ineffective during a stretch of games in January and February.
He supposedly got the injury during summer training and not during the playoffs or regular season.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLau View Post
He supposedly got the injury during summer training and not during the playoffs or regular season.
Well...

Quote:
Getzlaf’s problem ebbed and flowed as last season progressed, he said. The worst stretch lasted for about a month, but discomfort dissipated over the final couple of weeks of the regular season and was not an issue during the playoffs.
“Toward the end of the year, it was appearing to get better,” Getzlaf said. “It was feeling pretty good the first month or so (during the off-season), but when I started training, it flared back up again. The only real solution was to get the surgery done and try to get it over with. Now it’s fixed.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:56 PM
JimEIV

I'm not sure what is funnier; Getzlaf's plugs or Thornton's heart transplant. Both pretty good.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Towelie

Bummed to hear about this. I think its best understood more as a "condition" than an "injury" though as its more of a repetitive, re-occurring use injury.

Meh, good luck to him though. I've watched my brother go through two of these surgeries with Dr. Meyers and it could be career ending for him even after tons of physical therapy and fun cortizone shots where the sun don't shine. Then again many have played with them. Its just impossible to predict his performance. He could be fine, likely he'll just play on it and never be at 100% again I'd say.

Towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 11:20 PM
bumperkisser

You never now.. getzlaf is beastly lol.. and plus hes still very young and he has lots of time to recover... this is good because now that we have 2 scoring lines or potentially 3 it'll take a bit of heat off that dominant first line, maybe then getzy can heal better lol

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
Meh, good luck to him though. I've watched my brother go through two of these surgeries with Dr. Meyers and it could be career ending for him even after tons of physical therapy and fun cortizone shots where the sun don't shine. Then again many have played with them. Its just impossible to predict his performance. He could be fine, likely he'll just play on it and never be at 100% again I'd say.
That's looking it in a pessimistic way, Sakic, Holmstrom, Briere, Dumont, etc all seemed to have no problem producing at a high level despite having the same injury. The only players I can find who haven't really been the same since are Cheechoo and maybe Pahlsson.

Old
08-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

So, with Getzlaf basically being the most hyped and talked about player on this site during the offseason and suffering a difficult injury to recover from, who else is predicting an average season?

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 03:33 PM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoringlegend08 View Post
So, with Getzlaf basically being the most hyped and talked about player on this site during the offseason and suffering a difficult injury to recover from, who else is predicting an average season?
Not me.

I expect 100+ points out of him.

paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Not me.

Well, I hope you're right, I just don't have the same feeling. Those hernia injuries can be brutal to recover fully from.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 05:44 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoringlegend08 View Post
Yeah I think Getzlaf might have a down year now that he's got the surgery. I'm hoping Perry can pick up the slack though, and show people that he's not just leeching off of Getzlaf. I think I had predicted 90 for him before the injury, I'm going to say 75 now.

And my lord is Getzlaf getting overhyped/analyzed now. What the hell? Does he have to be compared to every good player in the league, one by one, and multiple times?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Yeah I think Getzlaf might have a down year now that he's got the surgery. I'm hoping Perry can pick up the slack though, and show people that he's not just leeching off of Getzlaf. I think I had predicted 90 for him before the injury, I'm going to say 75 now.

And my lord is Getzlaf getting overhyped/analyzed now. What the hell? Does he have to be compared to every good player in the league, one by one, and multiple times?
He really was the best player in the playoffs (through the first two rounds).

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:49 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Not me.

Just like you expected Sundin to sign?

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Nikko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
Ah yes... I've been waiting for the next Eriklund prophecy.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:38 AM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
Yeah...

paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:12 PM
mashsoccer37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71 View Post
He really was the best player in the playoffs (through the first two rounds).
That's debatable... Could be the homers in both of us... But I feel Crosby was certainly the player of the first two rounds, but Getzlaf did have a phenomenal playoffs.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_625525.html

Hope Getz gets well, you guys are definitely my favorite team out west to watch and root for.

mashsoccer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashsoccer37 View Post
That's debatable... Could be the homers in both of us... But I feel Crosby was certainly the player of the first two rounds, but Getzlaf did have a phenomenal playoffs.
I watched both and Getzlaf's quality of competition was significantly higher than Crosby's through the first two rounds. Getzlaf was matched up against two of the best defensive sides in the league, where as Crosby faced teams who, especially in the Capitals case were average defensively, at best.