HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

A lot still left...

Old
08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Grannys

vCash: 500
A lot still left...

This is the first summer I have followed the free agent frenzy with such devotion (past summers I was in school so I had a summer vacation and thus didnt sit in front of the computer at work all day following hockey news ).
But do most of the free agents eventually all get signed...? Because there seems to still be loads of low-line players yet to be signed and no one seems to be getting picked up. Is this the time when a bunch of these guys just dont make it anymore and make room for the young guns or is there another frenzy towards the end of the summer where many of these guys still get signed when team GMs realize the season is about to begin and players demanding more than they should get have to sign in fear of missing out on the season?

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Sens13*

Afinogenov or Comrie to Ottawa when Heatley situation is resolved.

Sens13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Grannys

^ so is it the Heatley situation thats holding up teams..?

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Syek

Comrie to tampa is my guess

Syek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Sure some of them will get signed. I expect Tanguay, Seidenberg, Bertuzzi, Moore, Sykora, and Afinogenov to all sign somewhere pretty soon. Then some older players will ponder retirement and those who want to retire will and those who don't will sign right before the season begins, like Schneider; I expect him to play another season. Things are slow now since all the big names are taken but I expect more trades and some RFAs could sign soon too. We'll see, but this is normal for this time of year.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 02:00 AM
carlweezer*

the guy that pisses me off more than anyone is Sundin...is he even training? I have a sick feeling Gillis is still holding out for him which is why he has yet to sign or trade for a puck moving D..

also why hasnt Dominic Moore gained much interests from any team this off-season? I thought he was awesome for TO last year.

carlweezer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlweezer View Post
the guy that pisses me off more than anyone is Sundin...is he even training? I have a sick feeling Gillis is still holding out for him which is why he has yet to sign or trade for a puck moving D..

also why hasnt Dominic Moore gained much interests from any team this off-season? I thought he was awesome for TO last year.
He was good for Toronto, but not good for Buffalo. The guy isn't drawing interest because he blew his chances for a higher contract by the way he played for the Sabres and he wants way too much money now that his value went down. He's looking for 2-2.5M. He's dreaming.

Old
08-12-2009, 02:15 AM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
You also have to take the salary cap into consideration. Year after year, teams keep on giving big contracts to a few players, and some end up having to work some number magic to be cap-legit at the beginning of the new season. Imagine next year when the cap will go down a few millions, there will be far more unsigned players late in the summer because of all the money already tied up.

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'abstrait View Post
You also have to take the salary cap into consideration. Year after year, teams keep on giving big contracts to a few players, and some end up having to work some number magic to be cap-legit at the beginning of the new season. Imagine next year when the cap will go down a few millions, there will be far more unsigned players late in the summer because of all the money already tied up.
Oh yeah I totally agree there. GMs are still hesitant of just throwing around money now that they don't know the cap situation. Most of the deals signed from now until the start of the season will be 1 year deals IMO so not as much will be at risk but still, there is the cap uncertainty.

Old
08-12-2009, 02:27 AM
mercury

I'd kinda like to see either Carle or Jones gone from the Flyers (depending on the return) and either Bertuzzi or Malhotra in.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 02:30 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I'd kinda like to see either Carle or Jones gone from the Flyers (depending on the return) and either Bertuzzi or Malhotra in.
I know a lot of Flyers fans want Jones gone and I won't be surprised seeing him traded sometime during the offseason/regular season. Bertuzzi I can understand, but aren't you guys pretty set at center?

Old
08-12-2009, 02:48 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
I know a lot of Flyers fans want Jones gone and I won't be surprised seeing him traded sometime during the offseason/regular season. Bertuzzi I can understand, but aren't you guys pretty set at center?

Richards and Carter definitely. The reason I say those two forwards in particular is that we have two particular needs at forward: a top 3rd line center who is good defensively and on faceoffs (Malhotra likely being the best of those), and a big RW who would replace some of the production of Knuble and Lupul (Bertuzzi likely being the best of those). It depends on what Stevens does with the lines. A lot of Flyers fans want to see Giroux and Briere as our top two RWs, and then a traditional 3rd line and energy 4th line, like this:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Pyorala-Malhotra-Laperriere
Carcillo-Powe-Asham
Cote

Something along those lines (no pun intended). Stevens, however, tends to like to have offensive pairings, which would be:

Gagne-Richards-xxx
Hartnell-Carter-xxx
xxx-Giroux-Briere

If he really wants to continue to use those, we need another top 6 winger, or the top 9 would be weaker than we'd prefer for rolling three scoring lines. If someone like Bertuzzi or Sykora were signed, things suddenly look better:

Gagne-Richards-Bertuzzi/Sykora
Hartnell-Carter-Laperriere
Powe-Giroux-Briere (excellent line for us the end of this past season)
Carcillo-Pyorala-Asham
Cote

As it stands, we have six very good top 6 forwards, but we don't know how they will be distributed.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote