HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

There's still a lot out there.

Old
08-12-2009, 08:40 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
There's still a lot out there.

http://www.capgeek.com/contracts.php

Just looking at the list of players, Imperfect just look at Zednik but still. There could be a lot of top quality talent who could be signed or invited for a try as a training camp invite.

Who do you realistically see coming to Nashville?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Guys to compete for top-six spot:
Mike Sillinger
Taylor Pyatt
Robert Lang
Maxim Afinogenov
Petr Sykora
Michel Ouellet

There are also several bottom six guys I could see us going after to bolster depth...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 09:30 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Guys to compete for top-six spot:
Mike Sillinger
Taylor Pyatt
Robert Lang
Maxim Afinogenov
Petr Sykora
Michel Ouellet

There are also several bottom six guys I could see us going after to bolster depth...
Those are the two options I like. I expect these guys to get something within two weeks of the start of training camps. And for some reason I still like Manny Malhotra for the 3rd and 4th lines. With the Preds at 42.6 Million and still waiting to sign O'Reilly. Things could be interesting with the money situation. Though, that money could dry up real quick if Colin Wilson were to play a whole year like Worst suspects.

Old
08-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Some solid players SLake. I would cross Ouellet off the list, but I wouldn't mind seeing any of the other 5....possibly 2 of those 5 (I know - pipe dream). Add Prospal to that list as well.

08-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Those are the two options I like. I expect these guys to get something within two weeks of the start of training camps. And for some reason I still like Manny Malhotra for the 3rd and 4th lines. With the Preds at 42.6 Million and still waiting to sign O'Reilly. Things could be interesting with the money situation. Though, that money could dry up real quick if Colin Wilson were to play a whole year like Worst suspects.
Malhotra was definitely someone I had pegged into that group of bottom-six guys to bolster depth. Essentially, I suspect that whoever we sign, that they will be locked into the top-9, but will have to prove themselves in terms of both skill and chemistry to start out in the top-six.

As for Wilson, I strongly believe that he will begin the season in Milwaukee, but won't finish there. Whoever we bring in will be brought in on a one-year deal to retain the roster flexibility to have Wilson with Nashville to start next season, but until then, he will be groomed in Milwaukee before getting a callup to replace someone out due to injury or ineffectiveness.

Old
08-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Some solid players SLake. I would cross Ouellet off the list, but I wouldn't mind seeing any of the other 5....possibly 2 of those 5 (I know - pipe dream). Add Prospal to that list as well.
Yeah, I added Ouellet simply for his "Ward" factor, but wouldn't bet on him being signed due to our depth of "AAAA" players already signed this offseason.

To note, Sillinger is a guy that I would offer a tryout contract, but would make him earn a deal in camp. His status due to injury is simply too unclear until he hits the ice and gets in some contact.

I can't believe I missed Prospal! I would definitely add him to the list.

Old
08-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Add Prospal to that list as well.
Quote:
I can't believe I missed Prospal! I would definitely add him to the list.
Upon review, Prospal is not on the capgeek.com list...alas the reason for the omission.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:58 PM
braindead

My gut is that we sign some dirt cheap veteran d-man instead and trade Cody Franson (plus) for a workable top 6 solution. I don't think we see anyone on this list in a Preds uniform.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 02:35 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
My gut is that we sign some dirt cheap veteran d-man instead and trade Cody Franson (plus) for a workable top 6 solution. I don't think we see anyone on this list in a Preds uniform.
At this point the dirt cheap options are on this list simply because the only other option for them is to go to Europe.

Old
08-12-2009, 02:45 PM
goalie311

Wow, there is a lot of talent still available - so much so, on its own they could make a pretty decent team.

I've been watching Taylor Pyatt play for the last couple of years now - he works hard, and sometimes has one of those nites that makes you think 'wow, how come he can't do that more?' - but I'd be worried how he plays, after the loss of his fiancee this year.....something like that can mess you up for a long time.....

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknuck311 View Post
Wow, there is a lot of talent still available - so much so, on its own they could make a pretty decent team.

I've been watching Taylor Pyatt play for the last couple of years now - he works hard, and sometimes has one of those nites that makes you think 'wow, how come he can't do that more?' - but I'd be worried how he plays, after the loss of his fiancee this year.....something like that can mess you up for a long time.....
But adversity can make you stronger. just look at the definition of life: an organism which responds to stimulus. I would love to have Pyatt on this team and I think he would fit perfectly with the personality the team is cultivating.

Old
08-12-2009, 10:16 PM
echlfreak

Save some time in analyzing who may fit and look at what the roster is on the website. That is what is going to be at camp and nothing else. Rookies will fill the holes, but none of the players on the list

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 11:28 PM
braindead

Quote:
At this point the dirt cheap options are on this list simply because the only other option for them is to go to Europe.
My point is that I think we will pick up a cheap defenseman not one of these cheap forwards... and then we will trade Franson, etc. for someone to attempt to fill the top 6 slot.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 07:47 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
My point is that I think we will pick up a cheap defenseman not one of these cheap forwards... and then we will trade Franson, etc. for someone to attempt to fill the top 6 slot.
Why? You can possibly pick up Tanguay of Sykora for less than a forward you could trade for? The FA's would be cheaper right now and I think that's what Poile is banking on.

Old
08-13-2009, 12:13 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Bored at work and I took a look at the team's cap space based on Capgeek's numbers and there are only 14 teams who could make a move to get a player.

Carolina, Boston, Rangers, Florida, Montreal, Minnesota, Colorado, LA, Nashville, new Jersey, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Columbus, and islanders.

Carolina has 2.7 million but with 3 open spots on the roster they may not sign anyone

Boston: 1.1 under with one spot. Very tight and they won't sign anyone unless they can move a contract.

Rangers: are in the same boat as Carolina but with 3.6 million and 3 spots. They could if they can move a contract.

Florida: 7 million with 4 spots open they could sign someone but what is their financial situation? Could they afford to cap max. out?

Montreal: They could cap max and have 2.7 million for one player.

Minnesota: 4.2 million for one player. Would and can Leipold cap max?

Colorado: They are aimming for revenue sharing and are over the mid cap now by 1.3 million . They are going to be sellers.

LA: Could sign someone but will they be on a budget? They are 9.4 million under cap and don't qualify for rev. sharing. They have 2 openings on the roster.

Nashville: Per Capgeek, Nashville is 7.2 Million under the mid-point and could just sign one player to their roster and improve. They are looking for a player who won't bust the budget and won't go for a long term deal.

New Jersey: I have no clue about these guys. How are their numbers? 5.1 million under cap

Dallas: Another team I can't figure out, they are a big market and could sign someone but they are staying way under budget. 200,000 under mid cap

Tampa Bay: They are aimming for ref. sharing but their ownership is a mess. They are 800,000 over mid-cap

Columbus: They need a defenseman but are only 1.1 million under mid-cap.

Isles: They ain't signing nobody. They have low level of talent and they have a crappy stadium.

The teams I have bolded I believe can sign one or more players. It's not much, the rest of the teams are capped out or have a full roster.

Old
08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Nashville: Per Capgeek, Nashville is 7.2 Million under the mid-point and could just sign one player to their roster and improve. They are looking for a player who won't bust the budget and won't go for a long term deal.
Be careful about that number because it includes Olvecky's contract, but not a guy like Wilson or even Spaling. O'Reilly will also be re-signed soon for a contract under $1 million and the team also wants to stay around $45 million...so...I'm thinking they have around $1 million left to play with, which would eliminate a guy like Tanguay, but could be manageable on a one-year deal for any of the other guys I listed above.

Old
08-13-2009, 01:08 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Be careful about that number because it includes Olvecky's contract, but not a guy like Wilson or even Spaling. O'Reilly will also be re-signed soon for a contract under $1 million and the team also wants to stay around $45 million...so...I'm thinking they have around $1 million left to play with, which would eliminate a guy like Tanguay, but could be manageable on a one-year deal for any of the other guys I listed above.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that. I go by my spreadsheet which has Nashville at 42.6 without O'Reilly but with Franson and Laasko as the defensemen added and Hornqvist on the team. O'Reilly I think will be 750,000 so that's 43.4 Million. If Wilson plays for Nashville that's 44.2 million. But if by some miracle Poile can sign a player who can contibute on the 2nd line for 1.5 Million that's savings that can be used to sock away for call ups and a possible trade.

Old
08-13-2009, 01:09 PM
smitty10

I could see Marcel Goc being signed as a bottom 6 guy

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I'm honestly not too worried about our lineup. We had a worse roster last year, and missed the playoffs by 1-2 wins. If these things happen, we make the post-season:
1. Solid goaltending as usual
2. Young defencemen continue to make progress
3. 70 games from Sullivan

Everything else will fall into place. I'm usually never this optimistic, but I think we're OK. Getting another winger would just ensure success.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 01:55 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I could see Marcel Goc being signed as a bottom 6 guy
We have no need for more bottom six guys.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 02:32 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
I'm honestly not too worried about our lineup. We had a worse roster last year, and missed the playoffs by 1-2 wins. If these things happen, we make the post-season:

Everything else will fall into place. I'm usually never this optimistic, but I think we're OK. Getting another winger would just ensure success.
1. Yup unless Rinne has a sophmore slump and 3/4th of the fan base has a nervous breakdown until Dekanich or Ellis show they can be a good goaltender and all is good again.

2. Agreed, everyone else seems to be in a youth movement why not Nashville?

3. I'm expecting 50 games out of him. That's why I want to see who Poile brings in. I also want to see how the youth grows? Jones and Hornqvist and O'Reilly and Rinne. If they show some growth this could be interesting.

Old
08-13-2009, 02:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post

I'm not sure we had a worse roster last year. Simply adding in Sullivan for a full year doesn't address all the problems, especially when you consider our PK and bottom six is considerably weaker as well. don't discount losing over 2000 games of NHL experience in Nichol, Bonk and DeVries alone.

That's not even taking into account that Columbus has more or less the same roster, though they traded out Peca for Pahlsson, which is an upgrade in my opinion, and St Louis should be significantly better.

I don't think feeling safe because we barely missed the playoffs last season is a wise course.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:12 PM
goalie311

Quote:
But adversity can make you stronger. just look at the definition of life: an organism which responds to stimulus. I would love to have Pyatt on this team and I think he would fit perfectly with the personality the team is cultivating.
That is true also.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him do well elsewhere - I liked what he brought to the Canucks but unfortunately the numbers game made him expendable.

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't feel "safe" whatsoever with our current team. In fact, I don't think we are going to make the playoffs. I'm just trying to throw a little sunshine in the discussion that things aren't as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

We were a good team last year, despite not make the playoffs. And if the aforementioned points all happen, we should be better than last year. A solid bottom-six and PKing will come from good coaching. Though, I am worried about our face-off abilities. That's something that is hard to teach.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote