HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs and Oilers

Old
08-11-2009, 03:20 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
UFA defensemen get overpaid....thus with Finger, makes 3.5...that contract doesn't bother me much...but how about Horcoff, is he worth 7 million?
No he doesnt at all...but his cap hit is $5.5M (and he shouldnt be getting that either).

UFA defenseman do usually get overpaid, but typically not defenseman that have played less than 100 games and put up only 24 pts.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
IMO Finger would have to go back in any proposal that brought in Penner, since Edmonton would probably say no I don't see a deal working.

EDIT - I might also make a trade centred around Blake and Penner.
Absolutely not.

I know it's cool for the children of this site to put Jeff Finger down but if they actually looked at his stats last year (especially blocked shots and hits) you will see a productive defense man who put up twenty three points last year. He is being paid about $500,000 to much (no matter what the children of this site might think)

Penner has conditioning problems as well as the infamous player who broke up a friendship who happens to be rather overpaid

No thanks to either deal

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:00 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Absolutely not.

I know it's cool for the children of this site to put Jeff Finger down but if they actually looked at his stats last year (especially blocked shots and hits) you will see a productive defense man who put up twenty three points last year. He is being paid about $500,000 to much (no matter what the children of this site might think)

Penner has conditioning problems as well as the infamous player who broke up a friendship who happens to be rather overpaid

No thanks to either deal
Even if he gets $500 000 to much for his skill, he is getting about $2 000 000 to much to be a 5th, 6th, or 7th d-man, and he's not in front of Schenn, Kaberle, Komi or Beauch, and questionable where he fits with White and MVR.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 04:20 AM
nvan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
UFA defensemen get overpaid....thus with Finger, makes 3.5...that contract doesn't bother me much...but how about Horcoff, is he worth 7 million?
Well considering we aren't signing the cheques it doesn't matter what his salary is. His cap hit, however, is 5.5 million. And I sure as hell would rather have Horcoff at 5.5 then Finger at 3.5, plus Finger would be the Oilers 5th or 6th d-man.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 07:56 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Penner to the Leafs is n't going to happen, not because of the Burke/Lowe thing but because the Leafs don't need a big slow ponderous guy who if the rumours are true doesn't work very hard at being an NHL player. Stempniaks contract may very well end up with the Marlies if he has a "slow" camp

Picking up Penner's contract and the extra 5m or so is worth a lot more than a 3rd rounder seeing as Tampa paid a 4th for 500k in relief

therealkoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
dude... yeah we do... according to NHL numbers.com, we have about 6mil left and we'd only be taking on another 750k. Do your homework before you post.

You may want to take your own advise re-homework before being overly critical of such posts. The original poster was actually correct about the Leaf's cap space being not as much as is often claimed. The issue for the Leafs is not this year but next, if this deal is made.

Here is what the Leafs commitments would look like for next year assuming this trade.

Code:
2009-2010 Toronto Maple Leafs 
PLAYER BONUS CAP HIT 
FORWARDS 
* Dustin Penner   $4,250,000 
Jason Blake   $4,000,000 
Tyler Bozak  ($2,850,000) $3,725,000 
Niklas Hagman   $3,000,000 
Mikhail Grabovski   $2,900,000 
Colton Orr   $1,000,000 
John Mitchell   $487,500 
DEFENSEMEN 
Mike Komisarek   $4,500,000 
Tomas Kaberle   $4,250,000 
Francois Beauchemin   $3,800,000 
Jeff Finger   $3,500,000 
Luke Schenn  ($2,100,000) $2,975,000 
BUYOUTS 
Darcy Tucker  $1,000,000 

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS 
ROSTER SIZE 12 
SALARY CAP $56,800,000 
PAYROLL $39,387,500
BONUSES $4,950,000 
CAP SPACE $17,412,500
Add in Stajan, Ponikarovsky, Kadri and Gustavsson and you now have at best $9M (likely $7-8M) in cap space to fill the remaining 6 roster spots. You also have to remember that next year there is no bonus cushion so players on EL contracts may well be more expensive than they look. And all of this is assuming the cap does not drop, which many still feel it might well do. (I am not so certain right now.)

Of course Burke can still make moves, but it is hard to improve substantially and shed salary at the same time.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
I wouldn't...Blake is better and their contracts expire the same time.

Finger + Stemps

for

Penner + pick
I wouldn't do a 1 for 1, I would want something coming back with Penner just don't really know what would be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Absolutely not.

No thanks to either deal
That would be great if he was our 3rd/4th defenceman but he isn't, he is AT BEST our 5th defenceman personally I think White or Van Ryn are better if not both but even as our 5th defenceman it is ridiculous to pay him 3.5 mil. If he was making 2 mil he wouldn't even be brought up in conversation. Part of the reason I want him gone is because I think Oreskovic should be on our bottom pair by next year and with Finger there is just no space for him.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote