HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings/Wings 2001 "Frenzy on Figueroa" airing on Prime Ticket 8/11

Old
08-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
This ranks #2 on the alltime favorite games I have ever been to, behind only Game 6 of the 2002 World Series, both were amazing comebacks.

I was a Senior in HS and I was there with my dad who is a Wings fan, made the drive home even sweeter.

How I miss playoff hockey!

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Earlier, Mrs. Zad walks into the room.

Mrs: What are you watching?

Me: Kings v. Wings. You remember this game? Frenzy at Figueroa.

Mrs: No. What year was it?

Me: 2001. I was in bed. Huntington Beach house. I think you were in the other room or shower. I nearly hit the roof and was screaming when they tied it up.

Mrs: [blank stare] 2001? What month?

Me: Um. April? I think.

Mrs: Honey, we had been dating for 2 months by then and I was most definitely not over that late. You lived with Chad and Aaron so there was no way I was in another room

Me: [doing quick rewind in my head of April of 2001] really? Um...I must have it confused with another game then.

Mrs: [shaking head]

Me: [smiling]

Mrs: [smiling back] You are so dead. Later. Dead.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

That was a great game. Have a lot of terrific memories from that series and the Colorado series in the 2nd round. To this day though, I still cannot believe the egg we laid in game 7 of the Colorado series.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
That was a great game. Have a lot of terrific memories from that series and the Colorado series in the 2nd round. To this day though, I still cannot believe the egg we laid in game 7 of the Colorado series.
I knew we were screwed when Smoke hit the post late in the 2nd period which would have given the Kings the lead going into the 3rd.

You can't miss chances like that in a Game 7 and expect to win.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:52 AM
RightKinger

My parents forced me to go to sleep after it became 3-0. I had school the next day and we were sleeping at my grandma's because we just bought a new house and we were waiting for the escrow to end. I was mad but I went to bed. I woke up the next day and my mom who would walk us to school told me what happened and I was sure she was lying. Last I saw we were out of it and the game looked hopeless. She said she wasn't and I was mad the whole school day because I missed one of the best moments in my time as a fan. Luckily they replayed the game on FSN that day in the afternoon and I got home in time for the comeback/OT.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
My parents forced me to go to sleep after it became 3-0. I had school the next day and we were sleeping at my grandma's because we just bought a new house and we were waiting for the escrow to end. I was mad but I went to bed. I woke up the next day and my mom who would walk us to school told me what happened and I was sure she was lying. Last I saw we were out of it and the game looked hopeless. She said she wasn't and I was mad the whole school day because I missed one of the best moments in my time as a fan. Luckily they replayed the game on FSN that day in the afternoon and I got home in time for the comeback/OT.
WTF!!

How did they not wake you up when the Kings tied it?

That sucks, perhaps when they get old enough you should look into retirement homes.

Old
08-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
I am surprised child protective services wasn't called. That's child abuse.

Old
08-12-2009, 03:17 AM
markisonfire
HFBoards Sponsor

I was 11 when this game aired. This is one of the first moments I remember actually being a Kings fan. I always loved hockey but never really identified with a team until '99, the last year they were at the forum. Then in 2000 they were pretty decent. But this series is what really got me into hockey. My favorite team being complete underdogs and beating the #2 seed? Good lord.

I didn't know much back then, though. My favorite players were Stumpel, Palffy, and Luc. Even liked Smolinski. I remember Stephane Fiset too... anyone remember him?

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 04:37 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
I remember Stephane Fiset too... anyone remember him?
I've tried to forget.

Old
08-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Damn you guys are young.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I went to game 3 right before this one. I had concert tickets the night of this one. After winning game 3, I got so excited and tried to get tickets for game 4. Too late and too poor to scalp. I thought about blowing off the concert to stay home and watch, but got goaded into going to the concert by my friend at the time.

I'll never forget calling my dad on the way home from what turned out to be a ****** concert at the Palladium and asking "How was the game?"

I've been ing every since.
that's okay, my father - the guy who got me into kings hockey in the first place had bought 4 tickets to this game. 2 were on the 2nd level 1st row right behind the kings net, the other 2 were in section 119 row 10. he took my sister and one of his friends with them and we alternated seats between periods with him and his friend sat in the sec. 119 seats the first period so they were down there again for the 3rd and i saw both of them stand up with about 6-7 minutes left. my dad never claimed to be a diehard but c'mon, it's the playoffs. so i called him after the first goal, and the second, and the third, and the inevitable 4th and let him take in the roar of the staples. i remember jumping and hugging my sister like i would never hug like that again and screaming at the top of my lungs and not being able to hear myself. i'll never let him live that down.

edit : i come to find out that he was heading out to a titty bar to drowned his sorrows with his friend. i guess they had to catch starletts act before the buffet closed down. that made it so much sweeter for me to rub it in.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Brodeur

I was the game, but I had the bizarre seats which took away from the experience. I was in nosebleeds, directly behind the net on the Wings shoot twice side. The section (I believe 326) only has a few rows as there's a walkway underneath. I was in the last row, and the row in front of us was seemingly ten Japanese tourists who didn't have any idea what was going on. And my buddy next to me was a Wings fan. Just felt like there wasn't a Kings fan within 30 feet of me.

But it was still a great game, just wish I had been in better seats.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I was the game, but I had the bizarre seats which took away from the experience. I was in nosebleeds, directly behind the net on the Wings shoot twice side. The section (I believe 326) only has a few rows as there's a walkway underneath. I was in the last row, and the row in front of us was seemingly ten Japanese tourists who didn't have any idea what was going on. And my buddy next to me was a Wings fan. Just felt like there wasn't a Kings fan within 30 feet of me.

But it was still a great game, just wish I had been in better seats.
I sit in 324, it's the side the Kings shoot twice on. You were on the other side.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Wawota

The BEST

I was there, in the nosebleeds, with my son, then 10 who is a true Kings fan. At the end of the 2d, down 3 - 0 to the RedWings, he started to cry. In my best fatherly fashion, I told him: Hold on son, its the score at the end of the THIRD period that counts". I worried inside that I was feeding my son a bullsh-t line.

Then that incredible comeback -- we were all screaming along with the rest of fans in Staples Center. It was my favorite fan moment ever. I felt like a good dad too. I am sorry that I missed it [the tv replay]. When will they show it again?

Wawota is offline   Reply With Quote