HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign four: Danny Syvret, Zac Rinaldo, Nicola Riopel and David Sloane

Old
08-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Flyersguru

vCash: 500
Jared Ross is already signed per Kevin Kurz, Philadelphia Flyers PR.

We are at #50 contracts.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
this puts us at 51 btw, but Zac Rinaldo is only 19, and won't be 20 'til June 2010, so i don't think his contract will count because he'll go back to the OHL for one more season.
Sbisa was 18.

Rinaldo is going to the Phantoms.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
krantan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Sbisa was 18.

Rinaldo is going to the Phantoms.
Junior players under 20 can't play in the AHL.

krantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I always wonder about Syvrets future. Can he play in NHL and will he make it?
I always liked Syvret in Jr, but his challenge is that he's really not a very fast skater for a smallish offensive Dman. His competition is Timonen, Carle and Jones with the big club, and faster guys like Ratchuk and Lehtivuori with the Phantoms.

He might be able to play in the NHL, but he was great in Jr playing 30+ minutes a game and he'll be unlikely to get more than 10-12 in the NHL if he even gets a sniff. And, of course, he'll get no leeway and have to produce points to stick, because his D has never been his strong suit.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantan View Post
Junior players under 20 can't play in the AHL.
Yeah, Rinaldo's going back to London.

And he sounds like a perfect fit...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists...88521-sun.html

"I want to stay ahead of (MacDermid)," he said. "How many (fighting) majors does he have? Twelve? Well, I have (14) . . . "

"I've always liked to hit and it's always been a part of my game," he said. "Sure, the refs are watching you when you play more physical than the game allows and sometimes, you get penalties for perfectly clean hits.

"It happens."

He's not going to apologize.

"You take a penalty for a big hit and you come back from the box and the guys on the bench support you because you're trying to make things happen," he said.

No one taught him how to deliver a devastating hit. He has a unique sense on how to line someone up and learned from watching his NHL heroes.

"I always liked the way Eric Lindros played and have tried to model my game after him," he said.

Old
08-12-2009, 03:11 AM
BillDineen

Rinaldo will not count against 50 contracts unless he plays 12 or more games with the Flyers per capgeek.com.

"Players shown with a yellow background and denoted with SR indicate 18- and 19-year-old "slide risks" who will only count against the 50-man limit if they play more than 11 games with the NHL club."

3 years at 550k is a good price. (Especially compared to Klotz at 800k).

Rinaldo is not eligible to play in the AHL this year. According to reports he had a good prospect camp, but the chance he makes the Flyers out of camp are remote.

http://www.capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php?Team=24

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I wonder when they'll start dumping contracts. Let's face it, we really don't need guys like Beaulieu, Clackson, Bellamy, Gratton, Kane, Sirianni, Swzez, DeSantis, Curry, Hersley, Teslak or Duchesne. That's 12 contracts right there they can easily get rid of. I mean, look at those guys. They're crap and they're never going to make the big team anyways, so is it really necessary to keep those guys on board?

Once again, it's all about asset management and it's clear that with Riopel and Sloane signing AHL contracts, Holmgren's back is against the wall with regards to contracts, but yet his refusal to let guys go is absolutely astounding. Seriously, I hope Holmgren's on the hot seat this year......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Get Carter

It's August.

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Terence Peterman

Boooo Rinaldo.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I wonder when they'll start dumping contracts. Let's face it, we really don't need guys like Beaulieu, Clackson, Bellamy, Gratton, Kane, Sirianni, Swzez, DeSantis, Curry, Hersley, Teslak or Duchesne. That's 12 contracts right there they can easily get rid of. I mean, look at those guys. They're crap and they're never going to make the big team anyways, so is it really necessary to keep those guys on board?

Once again, it's all about asset management and it's clear that with Riopel and Sloane signing AHL contracts, Holmgren's back is against the wall with regards to contracts, but yet his refusal to let guys go is absolutely astounding. Seriously, I hope Holmgren's on the hot seat this year......
How do you propose Homer dumps these contracts, at the present time? When they are lapsed, they can be released... Other than that, they must be traded, if I'm correct... If these players are the crap you state they are, I don't see them being easy to get rid of. I assume that most NHL organizations have similar concerns and desires in their Systems, and undesirable contracts are nothing more than a waste of money and assets -- I don't believe that they would be needed as warm bodies, in the manner of NHL players needed to reach the Cap minimum floor.

I assume that Homer and his staff fully expected the players to have a shot of progressing through the System when they were signed... When their contracts are up, I fully expect Homer to review the need for them as depth players and what chance they have in the organization chance... Unless they are deemed needed to ice a competitive Phantoms team for Adirondack, I would expect that they would be released, if they couldn't me moved prior to that... Homer has rules to follow and limitations in purging contracted players.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
It's August.
It's Wednesday.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky
Can anyone point out the guide lines as to who is and who is not included in the allowed 50 contracts, and who can and can't be called up to the NHL?
Only players with NHL contracts can play in the NHL, players on AHL only contracts can't. Of the four recently signed players, Syvret can play NHL, AHL, ECHL, Rinaldo can play NHL or OHL, Riopel and Sloane can play AHL or ECHL.

Everyone on an NHL contract counts against the 50 contract limit, exept players who are 18/19 years old, eligible to play in the CHL and have played less than 11 NHL games (players who are reassigned to juniors).

Regarding Riopels rights, he was drafted out of the CHL, so the Flyers own his rights for two seasons, until 30th June 2011.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Only players with NHL contracts can play in the NHL, players on AHL only contracts can't. Of the four recently signed players, Syvret can play NHL, AHL, ECHL, Rinaldo can play NHL or OHL, Riopel and Sloane can play AHL or ECHL.

Everyone on an NHL contract counts against the 50 contract limit, exept players who are 18/19 years old, eligible to play in the CHL and have played less than 11 NHL games (players who are reassigned to juniors).

Regarding Riopels rights, he was drafted out of the CHL, so the Flyers own his rights for two seasons, until 30th June 2011.
Thanks.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:36 PM
dr.rosenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post

so what about call ups, does contracts like sloane and riopel mean the flyers have to call up somebody who has a two way deal first?

dr.rosenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rosenrosen View Post
so what about call ups, does contracts like sloane and riopel mean the flyers have to call up somebody who has a two way deal first?
It means that Riopel and Sloane have to sign an NHL contract before they are eligible to play.

Old
08-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Yeah, Rinaldo's going back to London.

And he sounds like a perfect fit...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists...88521-sun.html

"I want to stay ahead of (MacDermid)," he said. "How many (fighting) majors does he have? Twelve? Well, I have (14) . . . "

"I've always liked to hit and it's always been a part of my game," he said. "Sure, the refs are watching you when you play more physical than the game allows and sometimes, you get penalties for perfectly clean hits.

"It happens."

He's not going to apologize.

"You take a penalty for a big hit and you come back from the box and the guys on the bench support you because you're trying to make things happen," he said.

No one taught him how to deliver a devastating hit. He has a unique sense on how to line someone up and learned from watching his NHL heroes.

"I always liked the way Eric Lindros played and have tried to model my game after him," he said.
I can't tell if you're pulling for him or not.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I can't tell if you're pulling for him or not.
I'm ambivalent, frankly, but we seem to be cornering the market on the Suspendables. Maybe that's the plan, have so many guys the refs hate that they can't call them all...

I'll try to catch more Knights games this year to see if he has NHL game to go with his attitude - which I like.

Old
08-13-2009, 01:08 AM
kicksave27

rinaldo also needs to realize that lindros was bigger faster and stronger than any player of his day. He would just go through people to the puck, he wasn't what i would call a cheapshot hitter, and god could he fight. All that with his offensive skills, he was a can't miss HOF'er till the injuries and his overall flakyness hit. You put richards brain in that man's body and you'd have the best player ever.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Probie24

Curious question:

According to the Forecaster website http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?6147, Riopel was signed to a 3-year entry level deal on 8/07/2009 and then a 1-year AHL deal on 8/11/2009.

Quote:
MOVEMENTS & INJURIES
8/11/2009 Signed by the Philadelphia Flyers to a one-year minor league contract.

8/07/2009 Signed by the Philadelphia Flyers to an entry-level contract.

>> MORE

CAREER TRANSACTIONS
6/27/2009 Drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 5th round (142nd overall) in 2009.

CAREER HONORS & AWARDS
QMJHL - Michel Briere (Most Valuable Player) 2008-09

QMJHL - Jacques Plante Trophy (Best Goaltender) 2008-09

QMJHL - First All-Star Team 2008-09 (Goaltender)

How will this work? Was the 3-year ELD voided or possibly put on hold when he signed the AHL deal? Does the 3-year ELD begin when he starts playing for the Flyers because technically he was signed by the Adirondack Phantoms so the AHL deal would override the NHL contract. In other words let's say he plays this year for the Phantoms on the 1-year AHL deal. Then next year the 3-year ELD begins.

This sounds like a GREAT way to circumvent the 50-contract clause because, as stated in several earlier posts, he is old enough to play in the AHL (20 years old) but the Flyers are so close to the 50-contract limit it makes sense for them to have him playing under the 1-year AHL deal and then he will NOT count against the 50-contract limit.

Make sense? Comments anyone?

Probie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probie24 View Post
Curious question:

According to the Forecaster website http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?6147, Riopel was signed to a 3-year entry level deal on 8/07/2009 and then a 1-year AHL deal on 8/11/2009.

How will this work? Was the 3-year ELD voided or possibly put on hold when he signed the AHL deal? Does the 3-year ELD begin when he starts playing for the Flyers because technically he was signed by the Adirondack Phantoms so the AHL deal would override the NHL contract. In other words let's say he plays this year for the Phantoms on the 1-year AHL deal. Then next year the 3-year ELD begins.

This sounds like a GREAT way to circumvent the 50-contract clause because, as stated in several earlier posts, he is old enough to play in the AHL (20 years old) but the Flyers are so close to the 50-contract limit it makes sense for them to have him playing under the 1-year AHL deal and then he will NOT count against the 50-contract limit.

Make sense? Comments anyone?
He never signed that ELC, that was just a rumour and forecaster posted that as fact ... like the Platil signing last season.

Old
08-15-2009, 12:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
It's not really circumvention. I don't think this is the first time the Flyers have done this. They don't even own the team anymore, although they still run it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 01:22 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rosenrosen View Post
The Flyers would have to legally purchase their contract from the minor league team that signed them and then the Flyers would have to sign them to a new NHL contract. Then the player would be eligible to play in the NHL but they would also count against the 50 contract limit too.

I could be wrong but I don't think that the Flyers can actually sign any player to a minor league contract. I live in Harrisburg PA so we have the Hershey Bears here and I can remember them for years being an independent (even when they were affiliated with the Flyers they did not wear the Flyers colors or logo, they have always kept their own). For many years half their roster was made up of players on NHL contracts from one or 2 NHL teams but the other half of the team were players signed specifically to AHL contract by the Bears. I can remember a few instances where an NHL team wanted one of the Bears players that his rights were owned by Hershey and the NHL team had to buy the contract from the Bears. Seeing how we no longer own the rights to the Phantoms I can't see how we could sign any players to minor league contracts with the Phantoms when we don't own the team. I would guess that the new owners of the Phantoms would have to sign those players and then they, as the owners of said player contracts, could actually sell the players contract to any NHL team willing to buy it. Maybe we sort of have a handshake agreement but then that would be illegal I would think.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:34 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think that the Flyers can actually sign any player to a minor league contract. I live in Harrisburg PA so we have the Hershey Bears here and I can remember them for years being an independent (even when they were affiliated with the Flyers they did not wear the Flyers colors or logo, they have always kept their own). For many years half their roster was made up of players on NHL contracts from one or 2 NHL teams but the other half of the team were players signed specifically to AHL contract by the Bears. I can remember a few instances where an NHL team wanted one of the Bears players that his rights were owned by Hershey and the NHL team had to buy the contract from the Bears. Seeing how we no longer own the rights to the Phantoms I can't see how we could sign any players to minor league contracts with the Phantoms when we don't own the team. I would guess that the new owners of the Phantoms would have to sign those players and then they, as the owners of said player contracts, could actually sell the players contract to any NHL team willing to buy it. Maybe we sort of have a handshake agreement but then that would be illegal I would think.
Technically you're right, the Flyers themselves can't sign players to AHL-only contracts, practically though the new Flyers Assistant General Manager John Paddock is also the General Manager of the Adirondack Phantoms. From an NHL.com article shortly after his promotion:

Quote:
Paddock is spending the summer preparing for his new job as assistant general manager for the Philadelphia Flyers, a position that, among other things, puts him in charge of the team's new affiliate in Glens Falls, the Adirondack Phantoms. Paddock coached the Philadelphia Phantoms in 2008-09, but switched hats when Flyers GM Paul Holmgren asked him to take a management job.

Old
09-19-2009, 01:44 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Rinaldo sucks

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 03:44 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9