HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Frolov for Souray

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Souray is being paid like a number one d-man but isn't good enough at D to deserve that money.
He was very good defensively last year. No one complained about his play or his paycheque last year. You would be lucky to get him. Especially if it only costs you a pending ufa whom you could sign again in the summer.

Old
08-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Media personality is Dan Tencer. He runs the sports talk show on the Oilers rightsholder's station 630 Ched. You can catch his show on the net weeknights.

The source is a poster who claims to have access to management somehow. He gave a heads up on a big trade two weeks before the Heatley deal and then gave specifics before it happened. He is one for one in that regard even though it fell through because of the nmc.

Personally, I am not believing anything until it happens. Just thought you guys might want to know and it might give you something to talk about for a couple of hours.

The Oilers moving a big ticket dman was first brought to light by the Oiler's radio color man Bob Stauffer.
Thanks for the follow up

as to the poster that felt LA had a weak blueline in terms of offense. i think with hickey in the pipe and babchuk a UFA there is no need to move a frolov for a souray. but i figured someone would make the point it was weak last year. i also feel another season of growth for JJ will help his passing.

at least i hope so for LA's sake

Old
08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He was very good defensively last year. No one complained about his play or his paycheque last year. You would be lucky to get him. Especially if it only costs you a pending ufa whom you could sign again in the summer.
You clearly don't understand our teams needs then. We have all the D we need. Whatever we may be lacking, we have waiting in the wings. What we need is scoring. You are suggesting we trade our best offensive player from last year to flood an already crowded defense corps.

The problem here is not what Souray's value is or what he brings to the table, it's trading a top asset from a position of weakness to bolster a position of strength. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
You clearly don't understand our teams needs then. We have all the D we need. Whatever we may be lacking, we have waiting in the wings. What we need is scoring. You are suggesting we trade our best offensive player from last year to flood an already crowded defense corps.

The problem here is not what Souray's value is or what he brings to the table, it's trading a top asset from a position of weakness to bolster a position of strength. It makes no sense whatsoever.
He scored 23 goals last year. He would have been your fourth highest goal scorer. When your highest goal scoring dman had six, I dont know how you could say that is a position of strength. It is a position of potential on your team. The acquisition of Smyth could signal a shift in management philosophy.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Johnny Utah

I've seen Sheldon out 2x here in LA the past two weeks....He was with Chelios both times....dude is big....He is one of my fav NHL players.....BUT, we are talking about a 33 year old in the 3rd year of 6.25 million a year deal over a 27 year old LW'er who will probably demand 4-6 million....

We are loaded at D....we have no LW's besides Ivanans, Frolov and Clune.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I've seen Sheldon out 2x here in LA the past two weeks....He was with Chelios both times....dude is big....He is one of my fav NHL players.....BUT, we are talking about a 33 year old in the 3rd year of 6.25 million a year deal over a 27 year old LW'er who will probably demand 4-6 million....

Exactly. What I don't get the most about the deal is we are trading a player we need for a player we don't need at more money that is necessary to grant us a long extension with Frolov... Just pay the man and end the rumors.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Old
08-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Last year. I'm not going to take that gamble on a guy we don't really need and who we could have had for free.

If anything, I'm holding on to Frolov as long as I can hoping I can get a long term deal done. Frolov will be this team's Jere Lehtinen.

...Or another way of saying a valuable piece in this teams future if it hopes to have a serious shot a the Stanley Cup every year

Old
08-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Knight of the Realm
Go Kings Go!

I think the kings management has issues with Fro's game and that they are indeed listening to offers, the Kings are just so thin on LW that making this particular move would have to be followed by another move to fill the void left behind.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:44 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
If he is that good. Oilers should just keep him.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post

You forgot Ryan Smyth.

Also Souray's cap hit is 5.4 till 2012.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
He scored 23 goals last year. He would have been your fourth highest goal scorer. When your highest goal scoring dman had six, I dont know how you could say that is a position of strength. It is a position of potential on your team. The acquisition of Smyth could signal a shift in management philosophy.
The Kings really don't care where the goals come from, they just need them. Trading Souray for Frolov would without a doubt result in less total goals next year.

The Kings strength on D is keeping the puck out of the net, and they did a great job of that last year. There is definitely a ton of potential for scoring on D, but it is true it is still just that - potential. I think the general view by Kings fans is they would rather stick with that potential than trade a guy like Frolov. If you are going to trade a guy like Frolov, you trade him for an upgrade in an area of great need. I think management is comfortable with the Kings defense, and it's highly likely any addition would be a minor one. If the Kings really wanted a big shot from the point they could look at Schneider, who isn't nearly as well rounded nore good as Souray but is comparable on the PP.

As far as the Smyth pickup, it may seem to a shift in philosophy on the surface but I highly doubt DL changes his course. I am very confident that Smyth would not have been traded for if Preissing's contract wasn't going the other way. From a net-salary point of view, the Kings are simply given money already spent to a more productive player - money that would have been incredibly hard to free up any other way, if you follow me.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
A lot of it is unrealized potential on defense, but at least the Kings have candidates there who are at least functional. The same unfortunately cannot be said for the left wing position.

After Ryan Smyth and Alexander Frolov, the only natural left winger currently on the roster is Raitis Ivanans. Last year the Kings had to ask Dustin Brown (who doesn't want to do it again) and Michal Handzus to play out of position to fill the void because of the lack of capable players in the organization.

The most ready player in Manchester was Matt Moulson, but he left the club as a Group 6 UFA. Now the only viable candidates left are going to be guys like Brad Richardson, Richard Clune, and Scott Parse -- which is 31 flavors of pathetic in terms of depth.

Souray would be a Rob Blake in his heydays type of luxury item to add to the team, but he's far from being an absolutely necessary ingredient as it stands now. Getting rid of Frolov and his 30 or so goals with guys who haven't even put up double digits at the NHL-level would hurt.

Having Smyth and Frolov anchor the first and second lines allows the team to plug in guys at the third and fourth line where you're not expecting a lot of offense to come from anyway. But when you take out Frolov from the mix... Yeah, not good.

It would be like the Oilers trading Ales Hemsky and only having Stortini and Schremp as guys who could step in to replace him. That's the kind of situation the Kings are in right now.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I have no doubt that the Kings are listening to offers for Frolov. They should listen to offers for every player, but I really don't think that this deal makes sense. I'd love to get Souray, but it'd have to be another deal.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Johnny Utah

Exactly...we were weak at LW before the Smyth deal and still after it.....

Brayden Schenn can play LW, but he is a C. Clifford is a LW, but he is a bottom 6 winger.

Kings still don't have a dynamic scoring forward at any position especially LW.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
If he is that good. Oilers should just keep him.
I agree and I believe they want to. It has been suggested that Sheldon has asked to be moved closer to his family. Which is in LA. That would be the only reason he would be moved.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Only way I could see this happening, is if the Kings moved Johnson +/- for Kessel +/- and then moved either Kessel or Frolov for Souray +/-.

Old
08-12-2009, 01:54 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Only way I could see this happening, is if the Kings moved Johnson +/- for Kessel +/- and then moved either Kessel or Frolov for Souray +/-.
O'Sullivan?

Old
08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
O'Sullivan?
What? Do we just borrow back and forth from each other when convenient?

Old
08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
can anyone tell me, why Lombardi trades away our only true left wing
for a defender when our defense is the strongest position in our franchise ??????????

I mean Hickey and Teubert are waiting for spots.
On the other hand we have no one on the left wing position.

I would handle it like what it is... a summer rumour.

Nothing to think abut.

The case is different if Lombardi plans to bring in Heatley.
If that's the case the trade makes more sense

Old
08-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Wawota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
I like Souray but I'd rather keep Frolov.
Agreed.

Old
08-12-2009, 02:19 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Hmmmm.... Frolov and Johnson or Kessel and Souray. that would be tough to call.

Old
08-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

It would be more like Frolov and a 3rd or Souray and Sturm

Old
08-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
It would be more like Frolov and a 3rd or Souray and Sturm
Leg...check your PM box dammit.
I've been running after you from 2 weeks...I'm getting tired. Just tell me if you're in or not.

Back to the thread...we need offense, not defense.
This rumor is total BS IMO.

Old
08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
can anyone tell me, why Lombardi trades away our only true left wing
for a defender when our defense is the strongest position in our franchise ??????????

I mean Hickey and Teubert are waiting for spots.
On the other hand we have no one on the left wing position.

I would handle it like what it is... a summer rumour.

Nothing to think abut.

The case is different if Lombardi plans to bring in Heatley.
If that's the case the trade makes more sense
ok, so who do you think is on crack? Lombardi? The media? Tyrone Biggums?

Old
08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
SFKingshomer

LW isn't a strong position in the NHL so I don't know why people make a big deal out of us being a little weak there. Souray would help our PP a great deal but he makes too much. I'd like to see DL add a guy who can play the point on the 2nd PP unit.

Closed Thread