HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Synthetic Ice + Shooting

Old
08-10-2009, 01:51 AM
fasterthanlight

vCash: 50
Synthetic Ice + Shooting

Hey
I am a beginning hockey player who lives 35 minutes from the nearest, crowded rink and I really want to improve my shot. I spend a lot on gas going to my rink to play in a league, and I was looking at some options that I could use to work on my shot at home, and I looked into synthetic ice.

I wouldn't be skating on the synthetic ice, I would just buy a very small piece of it, put a puck on it and shoot into my goal, standing off to the side.

Is this a good idea? Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Thanks!

fasterthanlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 01:53 AM
Placebo Effect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthanlight View Post
Hey
I am a beginning hockey player who lives 35 minutes from the nearest, crowded rink and I really want to improve my shot. I spend a lot on gas going to my rink to play in a league, and I was looking at some options that I could use to work on my shot at home, and I looked into synthetic ice.

I wouldn't be skating on the synthetic ice, I would just buy a very small piece of it, put a puck on it and shoot into my goal, standing off to the side.

Is this a good idea? Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Thanks!
Matt Duchene does this. Any practice is good, obviously it will be better to practice with skates on and such but it's better than nothing.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 02:01 AM
NYRSinceBirth

You can save some money and just buy Plexiglas/plastic fastened to plywood (for stability). Try to compensate for skates and add a 2-3 inch platform on the shooting side.

This is a very good idea for practice, but couple it with skating and shooting. You don't shoot flat footed very in a game, you need to get comfortable moving and shooting. Stationary shooting is great for mechanics though.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 02:32 AM
hemsky88

Plexi glass is expensive(heard they break if you took a slapshot) and plastic won't survive if you take slapshots either. I recommend investing on one of those shooting pads.

hemsky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 03:36 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Yes this is a very good idea. But if you want to save some cash go ask some warehouses for scrap of plastic(big 4' by 4' square's) that's what I did.0

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 12:15 AM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Just get some of that fake ice stuff they sell at sport stores, you cant skate on it, but it feels almost the same as real ice. Also if you want to improve your shot, start using a heavier puck and that will make your shot stronger and harder once you revert back to the normal pucks; and if you are looking at practicing your stick handling, just use those really light pucks to train with.

TheKingSlayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 10:59 AM
blueberrydanish

Get a sheet of plastic or smooth wood big enough for you to want to do a little handling/shooting off of, buy a can of silicon spray(from auto store usually) spray 2-3 coats and let dry a little. Boom, slick surface to shoot off of and you can do some handling on it etc. Then just find something to shoot at either a net or just hard, thick, big board up against a fence

I use to use a real smooth piece of wood but now I got an old broken computer chair mat thing( http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...omy-Chair-Mat/ ). Gives me a ton of room to shoot and like I said works pretty much as good as ice and is NOT alot of money at all.

If you got any of the silicon on the puck or blade afterwards just retape the stick and wipe the pucks off if nescessary.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 12:56 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
You can save some money and just buy Plexiglas/plastic fastened to plywood (for stability). Try to compensate for skates and add a 2-3 inch platform on the shooting side.

This is a very good idea for practice, but couple it with skating and shooting. You don't shoot flat footed very in a game, you need to get comfortable moving and shooting. Stationary shooting is great for mechanics though.
Between practicing and playing games the difference between shooting on dry land and ice was significant. I wore sneakers and shot off plastic in my basement, got the mechanics down and had a nice strong wrist shot. Got out on the ice and everything went out the window. Shooting off skates means you don't have as strong of a base and you lose power. Plus you're elevated about 3 inches higher which means you hold your stick at a different angle.

My advise is to go ahead and shoot in your sneakers until you get comfortable with your shot. Once you're ready put on a pair of roller blades and continue shooting. Be prepared to fall forward (remember to protect your knees), find your balance and learn to generate power from your waist. I've seen Ovechkin do the reverse of this when he wears his shower shoes on the ice and shoots -- he's not able to generate power from his legs because he has no traction. Work your forehand and backhand, shoot for the corners, etc. If you've got enough space try shooting while moving -- shoot while carrying the puck and pick up a stationary puck before shooting. I'm sure there are drills you can find on the internet.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Between practicing and playing games the difference between shooting on dry land and ice was significant. I wore sneakers and shot off plastic in my basement, got the mechanics down and had a nice strong wrist shot. Got out on the ice and everything went out the window. Shooting off skates means you don't have as strong of a base and you lose power. Plus you're elevated about 3 inches higher which means you hold your stick at a different angle.

My advise is to go ahead and shoot in your sneakers until you get comfortable with your shot. Once you're ready put on a pair of roller blades and continue shooting. Be prepared to fall forward (remember to protect your knees), find your balance and learn to generate power from your waist. I've seen Ovechkin do the reverse of this when he wears his shower shoes on the ice and shoots -- he's not able to generate power from his legs because he has no traction. Work your forehand and backhand, shoot for the corners, etc. If you've got enough space try shooting while moving -- shoot while carrying the puck and pick up a stationary puck before shooting. I'm sure there are drills you can find on the internet.
What you learn from shooting dryland is mostly applicable to shooting on the ice.

The skills you're really developing in dryland shooting are "loading" the stick, weight transfer, and shot power, quickness, and accuracy.

There will be a learning curve when you switch from dryland to ice. You'll have a smoother surface to shoot on, you'll be elevated a bit, and you'll have four edges to work with as opposed to the flats of both of your feet.

Once you adjust to balancing on your skates, the skills you learned prior will fall back into place. Developing your shot this way is probably better than trying to learn it all at once on the ice. It'll be hard for you to learn how to transfer your weight and load the stick while simultaneously trying to figure out how to set yourself properly for balance, stability, and power. By reducing the amount of variables per session you're reducing the probability of error, and promoting iterative learning.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 03:47 PM
howley

As far as just shooting goes puckboard is very similar to the synthetic ice and way cheaper.

howley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 03:53 PM
AIREAYE

i just took a big cardboard tv box (glossy surface) and cut a rectangle with 2 sides of it, taped them back-to back with duct tape and there ya go, double sided, light shooting board absolutely free

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 04:05 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
i just took a big cardboard tv box (glossy surface) and cut a rectangle with 2 sides of it, taped them back-to back with duct tape and there ya go, double sided, light shooting board absolutely free
dont forget the hundreds you spent on the tv

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 04:29 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydevs9 View Post
dont forget the hundreds you spent on the tv
T.V.: $700 USD
Duct Tape: $4 USD
Perfect Shooting Surface: Priceless.