HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Two Piece Sticks

Old
07-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Bammers

vCash: 500
Two Piece Sticks

I have always used two piece sticks, but after lots of experimenting with wood blades I have found that they just don't have the lifespan that I would like them to have. (This goes for playing inline on a sports floor and ice hockey). I don't have a huge shot or anything, and I don't abuse my sticks; they just get really chipped up on the top from general use and the fibreglass one the bottom wears out and then the stick deteriorates quite fast.

I have never used a composite blade (Except for one time when my friend bought me one years ago, when they first came out and he wanted me to use it outdoors, which I did and I basically trashed it. But thats a different topic altogether...) So basically what I'm asking is whether or not composite blades are more durable than wooden blades. If so, are there any composite blades you would recommend based on performance/durability (I've heard that some of the Easton blades are not very durable? Is this true?). Curve is not an issue, as I have used everything from basically straight with a tiny bit of openness from the heel to the old Koho Jagr blades.

Thanks for any input you have, I appreciate it. (Even if it is to just buy a one piece stick, which I have considered before, but that is a whole other thread)

Bammers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:37 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Personally I have been a huge fan of Warrior and there blades so if i could recommend a brand Warrior would be it.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bammers View Post
I have always used two piece sticks, but after lots of experimenting with wood blades I have found that they just don't have the lifespan that I would like them to have. (This goes for playing inline on a sports floor and ice hockey). I don't have a huge shot or anything, and I don't abuse my sticks; they just get really chipped up on the top from general use and the fibreglass one the bottom wears out and then the stick deteriorates quite fast.

I have never used a composite blade (Except for one time when my friend bought me one years ago, when they first came out and he wanted me to use it outdoors, which I did and I basically trashed it. But thats a different topic altogether...) So basically what I'm asking is whether or not composite blades are more durable than wooden blades. If so, are there any composite blades you would recommend based on performance/durability (I've heard that some of the Easton blades are not very durable? Is this true?). Curve is not an issue, as I have used everything from basically straight with a tiny bit of openness from the heel to the old Koho Jagr blades.

Thanks for any input you have, I appreciate it. (Even if it is to just buy a one piece stick, which I have considered before, but that is a whole other thread)
If that's what you're using it for, then a composite blade is the way to go.

Using a composite blade on an out-door rink will ruin the blade pretty quickly.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Bammers

Yeah, I was hoping that composites would hold up better. Do you ever have your blade start coming loose from the shaft? I have been noticing lately that the more I take slap shots (I just got my mechanics worked out) the blade starts to come loose after just a few shots.

Old
07-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Yeah, I was hoping that composites would hold up better. Do you ever have your blade start coming loose from the shaft? I have been noticing lately that the more I take slap shots (I just got my mechanics worked out) the blade starts to come loose after just a few shots.
Well I'm gonna crush your view that composite blades don't last on outdoor ice rinks. I use composite blades and composite shafts now after switching from aluminum shafts at the beginning of December of 2008.

I still have both shafts I have used extensively outdoors as well as one of two blades I bought that were/are RBK composite blades. I did break one indoors when I caught a one timer slapshot too far on the toe of the blade and the blade broke which blades do ... even wood on a misfire.

The point is I shoot many slapshots and shoot them extremely hard and very well. I used to go through 4 to 5 wood blades at $25 each for the amount of time that the RBK blade I broke lasted that goes for $50 or so. So the composite blade actually costs half as much.

I still have the other RBK blade as well as 3 Easton Synergy blades, a Bauer One90 blade as well as a Harrow (formerly Christian) 2 piece shaft and blade combo.
You asked for recommendations ... to be honest they all offer different feel for the puck based on the materials they use. As far as durability so far I have noticed virtually all brands offer great durability for a replacement blade. Don't buy the cheap stuff as a rule and you will be okay. If you buy a Bauer One55 blade you won't get the same durability or performance from their $20 more Bauer One95 blade. Some companies though overcharge for their blades and some are more reasonable for the same quality.

I play a lot and have had NO issues with any broken anything really. Blocking shots, chopping at someone's blade to steal pucks or whatever. They are not breaking on me .... I am sure they will eventually but I am just saying they are more durable than wood blades period. Way more and not even close in compare.

I have gone through ONE composite RBK blade since the beginning of December and I play at least 2 times a week every week in the summer and more than that during the winter months so do the math. Easily I would have gone through probably at the least 5 wood sticks or blades in that time or more.

I'll swear until I die but good shooting mechanics will make your blades last longer than other peoples. But that is another post altogether and probably a huge debate.

All I can say is I have never been one to break sticks often they always lasted as long as the blade allowed for the puck pocket made by shooting slappers. Wood would die very quickly sometimes in one day of use shooting slapshots indoors or outdoors. I do not see guys check their sticks as often these days like they used to as the companies are offering better durability in sticks these days so troubles people have had last year may not apply this year as manufacturing techniques improve as well as engineering the materials.

I will say this and it is my opinion only and comes from my own experience .... blades will last just as long outdoors as indoors. I do not even see outdoor ice being an issue worthy of discussion in how long a composite blade lasts. If you are talking about floor hockey or street hockey well obviously you would not want to use a composite blade for that .... or even a wood one.

As for your loose blade .... not all companies will fit another shaft perfectly. If you remove the glue from the hosel and use a strip of hockey tape from one side up over the top and down the other side and then reglue it up with hot glue and then insert in the shaft it will no longer come loose on you.

The composite blade coming loose unfortunately is a very common issue when mixing brands.

My Bauer blade goes right into the Bauer shafts I have perfectly and you can play with them for weeks without anything coming loose slapshot after slapshot.

My RBK blades in a Bauer shaft I have to do the tape thing. The Easton blades I have fit very tightly (too tightly) into the Bauer shafts. I have to give them a good smack with the knob end on the floor to jam the blade into the shaft.

I hope this helps and doesn't discourage you from using a 2 piece system.

I just bought a Harrow 300 series shaft and blade which came to about $125 total and I am absolutely in awe of the low kick point accuracy and powerful release with a slapshot.

Also according to the Harrow brochure I got in the mail the 2 piece stick while having the same shooting power kick point as their one piece the 2 piece boasts better puck feel for stick handling than their one piece for some reason. I don't have a one piece to see if this is so so I cannot comment and I can't begin to tell you why this would even be so.

I can say I have used shafts since the early 90s when aluminum was the thing and prefer shafts. The ability to change blades easily to whatever flavor you want that day is just too much to pass up for me.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 07-14-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 05:19 PM
IniNew

You did no shattering there. Smooth concrete, to asphalt will eat comp blades for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Edit: To clarify, when he says outdoors, he doesn't mean outdoor ice hockey. He means outdoor inline hockey.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
You did no shattering there. Smooth concrete, to asphalt will eat comp blades for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Edit: To clarify, when he says outdoors, he doesn't mean outdoor ice hockey. He means outdoor inline hockey.
Thanks, I wasn't sure what he meant and assumed he meant ice outdoors. At least the rest of the post will be useful to him when trying to determine if a composite blade will last longer than wood.

Old
07-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Bammers

The inline league I play in play in the same rinks I play ice hockey in, they just don't have the ice. The floors are either a special plastic tile called a sports floor, or polished cement. The blade that I trashed was used on a tennis court, and was a joke so...(haha) So from brand to brand there aren't any major variations?

As for the wood blades I was going through, it was probably poor form on my slappers that did them in, at least on the bottom of the blade. But thats through now, as I got the mechanics figured out. The top was from getting slashed, stick checks, etc.

So, I never really had an opinion on composite blades. Thanks for your input on the shaft joint, I'll give that a try. The strange thing with my latest loose blade is that it is a RBK 6k shaft with a RBK 3k blade, so that theory about fitting within the brand is out the window.

Where did you get your Harrow shaft and blade setup? Online? I keep getting the lower end shafts because I don't want to break the bank on a shaft and then break it (That happened to me once before in my first or second game with it, so I'm paranoid about durability). Any other shafts, blades or combinations of the two that stand out in your mind?

Thanks for your advice though, I will definitely take it into consideration when buying a blade

Last edited by Bammers: 07-14-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old
07-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
The inline league I play in play in the same rinks I play ice hockey in, they just don't have the ice. The floors are either a special plastic tile called a sports floor, or polished cement. The blade that I trashed was used on a tennis court, and was a joke so...(haha) So from brand to brand there aren't any major variations?

As for the wood blades I was going through, it was probably poor form on my slappers that did them in, at least on the bottom of the blade. But thats through now, as I got the mechanics figured out. The top was from getting slashed, stick checks, etc.

So, I never really had an opinion on composite blades. Thanks for your input on the shaft joint, I'll give that a try. The strange thing with my latest loose blade is that it is a RBK 6k shaft with a RBK 3k blade, so that theory about fitting within the brand is out the window.

Where did you get your Harrow shaft and blade setup? Online? I keep getting the lower end shafts because I don't want to break the bank on a shaft and then break it (That happened to me once before in my first or second game with it, so I'm paranoid about durability). Any other shafts, blades or combinations of the two that stand out in your mind?
Oh boy ... two piece by the same compnay and they still get loose? Are they the same .... meaning senior sticks? Our team has a Dman who bought a junior blade for his standard shaft and was getting mad that his blade kept coming loose while he used it like half way through the game every game.

I can see how this could happen if someone doesn't notice the smaller looking hosel part or just isn't used to a 2 piece syatem. The trouble is most of the sales in a sporting goods store usually are for junior sticks because kids in school play more than adults.

Make sure of that blade size.

The Harrow shafts are formerly Christian hockey and they have a website and authorized dealers around the US and Canada. Their website has a dealer locator link.

http://www.harrowsports.com/icehockey.asp

I like the Bauer shafts I bought are the One55 shafts and I first bought the mid priced ones to see if I would even like composite shafts, didn't want to waste money for nothing. I paid $42 each new. After I enjoyed those and now have put the wood away for good I bought the more expensive combo which are the Harrow. Most shafts are $90 unless you go with Warrior or Reebok which are overpriced in my opinion.

Basically the more expensive shafts offer lighter weights and better grip systems more than anything. The cheapies are very durable and very basic and weigh a little more than the top end stuff.

Old
07-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Bammers

I made sure when I bought the blade that it was a senior, it even says Sr. on the hosel. Oh well, a bit of tape and hopefully that'll do the trick. I got fooled once buying an old T-flex blade. What a mess that was. I just cut a wedge out of and old hosel and jammed her in there. That was the last blade I ever put in that shaft

The last shaft I broke was a stealth s5; the bargain basement shaft. The other stick I had was an ancient Ultralite that is 110 flex, cut down to 43", then added a 8" plug onto the end. That thing is a mess and a deathtrap.

So to replace those two I picked up the 6k shaft (it had a grip thing on it, not like the easton grip, it is just kind of like the warrior nipple grip) and an easton synergy st.

Last edited by Bammers: 07-14-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old
07-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I made sure when I bought the blade that it was a senior, it even says Sr. on the hosel. Oh well, a bit of tape and hopefully that'll do the trick. I got fooled once buying an old T-flex blade. What a mess that was. I just cut a wedge out of and old ohel and jammed her in there. That was the last blade I ever put in that shaft

The last shaft I broke was a stealth s5; the bargain basement shaft. The other stick I had was an ancient Ultralite that is 110 flex, cut down to 43", then added a 8" plug onto the end. That thing is a mess and a deathtrap.

So to replace those two I picked up the 6k shaft (it had a grip thing on it, not like the easton grip, it is just kind of like the warrior nipple grip) and an easton synergy st.
I have 3 Easton Synergy ST blades and love them very much.

Old
08-12-2009, 03:58 PM
AIREAYE

im looking to buy a two piece too:

- Have around $100 to spend on a shaft give or take a few tens
- Want a relatively light shaft
- Wood blade for better puck feel, as the One55 OPS i have now has little lol
- a curve (preferable Easton) for passing, and puck control ( the P92 i have doesnt suit my style, im no sniper lol)

any ideas fellas?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
im looking to buy a two piece too:

- Have around $100 to spend on a shaft give or take a few tens
- Want a relatively light shaft
- Wood blade for better puck feel, as the One55 OPS i have now has little lol
- a curve (preferable Easton) for passing, and puck control ( the P92 i have doesnt suit my style, im no sniper lol)

any ideas fellas?
Easton S15 Shaft.

Sherwood 905 Wood Blade (Pick the Bouchard/Modano. Its a Forsberg/Zetterberg clone.)

140 bones total.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

or instead of buying the s15 shaft just get the z-bubble for 80 double cheesburgers. its the same thing just different wrapping. i have like 3 of them and they are awesome especially with the z-carbon(aks s15) and 2 s15 sakic blades i have. great stick

http://www.totalhockey.net/tab3.asp?...=Yahooshopping

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 08:05 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Easton S15 Shaft.

Sherwood 905 Wood Blade (Pick the Bouchard/Modano. Its a Forsberg/Zetterberg clone.)

140 bones total.
lol the S15 is like 180 where i am...considering the 7k for 90

Old
08-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
lol the S15 is like 180 where i am...considering the 7k for 90
How much is the SE16 shaft where you are? That's what I use.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

no but seriously, the z-bubble for 80 bucks is the same thing as the s15. if you can get over the facft that its wrapped different and may not look as up to date as the s15 its a steal.

Old
08-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd get a One95 shaft ($85) and Montreal M95 blade ($25). It's a fantastic combo, the One95 is very light weight and has a good flex to it, and the M95 blade has an ABS core which means it holds up very, very well outdoors. I've been using the same blade for 9 months at an outdoor shooting range and it's a little torn up on the bottom but still very stiff.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 12:40 PM
evgeni71

Hey Jarick, where did you get your M95 blades? I've been looking everywhere and none of my LHS carry Montreal gear aside for goalie stuff.

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 12:56 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
How much is the SE16 shaft where you are? That's what I use.
lol i have never seen an SE16 shaft here, and its in the middle of the GTA lol

some of my friends have a z-bubble, they seem to be still goin strong after so long

what do u guys think of a 7K sickick? warrior johnson? AK27?

Old
08-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

ive used the ak27 and the 7k. i dont like the 7k too much personally, but mine is really stiff.

the ak27 is a pretty standard shaft, its the same diameter all the way around.

the johnson is tapered i believe and is a bit heavier than others

i like the ak27 best personally

Old
08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
stick9

Outdoor areas with smooth concrete or asphalt bases, go with and ABS blade. Ice and sport floors, composite is fine.

Easy trick to cure loose blades. Put a piece of tape over the top of the area you insert into the shaft. Works like a charm, I do it with all my blades regardless of fit. I've never once had a loose blade.

AIREAYE - The Z-Bubble is a decent shaft, hard to go wrong there. As for the rest, the Warrior AK27 would be the way to go.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hey Jarick, where did you get your M95 blades? I've been looking everywhere and none of my LHS carry Montreal gear aside for goalie stuff.
LHS, sorry.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote