HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect #26

View Poll Results: Who's the 26th most valuable Rangers prospect?
Matt Zaba 17 36.17%
Tomas Zaborsky 10 21.28%
Roman Horak 7 14.89%
Mikhail Pashnin 3 6.38%
Jordan Owens 10 21.28%
Tysen Dowzak 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
We can always sign or trade for a mid-range goalie like we did with Dunham. Considering all our gapping holes, we can ill-afford to waste picks on goalies, especially considering how unpredictable their development is.

We have Chad Johnson, Zaba and Wiik, and one of them should be able to fill in behind Vally. I think Vally can reasonably speaking start, at least for a few weeks/months.

Let's fill our shortage of scoring forwards, then we'll deal with goalies. The next 3 years, all the first and second rounders should be forwards, unless someone really good slips to us. But the bias should definitely be for forwards with reasonable top-6 potential, even if they are a higher risk.
If Valliquette is starting for more than a week or two, then it really doesn't matter who is backing him up--the Rangers will be sinking fast. And it's very possible that whatever 2nd tier goalie is available (regardless of the price) won't be able to stop the bleeding either.

But, in any case, it would be nice to see one of the goalies in the system break out and have a consistantly good year--it would help the younger prospects a lot. Both Zaba and Wiikman seem to have flashes, but can't keep it together for a long period. Maybe Johnson will push them.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Does anyone know why 85 was traded for just a fifth rounder? He seems to be a much more valuable asset.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:05 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
If Valliquette is starting for more than a week or two, then it really doesn't matter who is backing him up--the Rangers will be sinking fast. And it's very possible that whatever 2nd tier goalie is available (regardless of the price) won't be able to stop the bleeding either.

But, in any case, it would be nice to see one of the goalies in the system break out and have a consistantly good year--it would help the younger prospects a lot. Both Zaba and Wiikman seem to have flashes, but can't keep it together for a long period. Maybe Johnson will push them.
Considering there are good goalies every year available for trade(and mind you very cheaply) I dont see it as that big of a concern. Bryzgalov was waived for God's sake. A goalie like Halak could be had for a lower round draft pick, Huet was traded for a 2nd rounder. There are ways to find a stop-gap for a month or two but the Devils thought the same thing when Martha went down and Clemmenson picked up the slack, it happens.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:07 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Does anyone know why 85 was traded for just a fifth rounder? He seems to be a much more valuable asset.
23 years old. Hasnt played in any professional games at this point in his career. was originally a 5th rounder I believe. Seems like he held his value and it doesnt help when the entire world knows Fleury is ther goalie for the foreseeable future. Kind of like the Montoya trade was for so little.

Although that is just a guess, ya never know.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:17 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
23 years old. Hasnt played in any professional games at this point in his career. was originally a 5th rounder I believe. Seems like he held his value and it doesnt help when the entire world knows Fleury is ther goalie for the foreseeable future. Kind of like the Montoya trade was for so little.

Goalies always take longer to develop. A 23 year old goalie is like a 21 year old Forward or a 22 year old Defenseman.

I would never trade a Hobey Finalist for a #5 unless there was something structurally wrong with him where I couldn't foresee him making the NHL.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

He was going become a free-agent (too old to go back into the draft) and probably wasn't too hot on signing with Pittsburgh or wasn't in Pittsburgh's plans. They got something for him and the Rangers were able to sign him. Win, win.

I think it's also possible he was originally taken in a higher round, but am too tired to look it up.

Old
08-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Considering there are good goalies every year available for trade(and mind you very cheaply) I dont see it as that big of a concern. Bryzgalov was waived for God's sake. A goalie like Halak could be had for a lower round draft pick, Huet was traded for a 2nd rounder. There are ways to find a stop-gap for a month or two but the Devils thought the same thing when Martha went down and Clemmenson picked up the slack, it happens.
I'm not nearly as confident as you are. Lundqvist is hands down, the most important player in the organization and without him the holes become much wider. Yes, Sather will rush out and find another goalie, but with all the question marks and a new system to learn (not to mention all the unfamilar faces), regardless of who he brings in, it might just be enough to finish 9th or 10th--which is where some pundits and board members have already suggested the Rangers will finish. Regardless of who the Rangers have in the system, it's not enough to replace Lundqvist.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 08-14-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old
08-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Goalies always take longer to develop. A 23 year old goalie is like a 21 year old Forward or a 22 year old Defenseman.

I would never trade a Hobey Finalist for a #5 unless there was something structurally wrong with him where I couldn't foresee him making the NHL.
Of course, the Hobey Baker finalist may have had something to say about it too.

Old
08-14-2009, 04:56 AM
jniklast

zaba, add soryal

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:23 AM
darko

Zaborsky again, add Campbell