HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Eyeing Brad Richards

Old
08-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
This is exactly what is happening. What do you think, the Rangers are just waiting for that perfect time to sign Dubi? Yea right!

Dubi's pissed them off enough to include him in a trade. Dubi to Dallas for Richards is on the table, but the Rangers want to clear enough salary to take him back and Dallas does not want to take Redden or Rozsival back.

That's the reason this is taking so long...Sather's trying to find a team willing to take on one of those guys,
So I guess outplaying two 7 million dollar centers as a sophmore constitutes "pissing them off" then? Is that right?

I call that horsecrap!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:49 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section311 View Post
This makes no sense to me. We wouldnt trade Dubi for Heatley but we are going to trade him for Richards.
Maybe just maybe Glen doesn't want to trade Dubi to an Eastern conf. team.If Dubi went to Dallas the Rangers would only see if once possibly twice a year.I know it sounds a little crazy but it's Glen we're talking about.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:52 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
Maybe just maybe Glen doesn't want to trade Dubi to an Eastern conf. team.If Dubi went to Dallas the Rangers would only see if once possibly twice a year.I know it sounds a little crazy but it's Glen we're talking about.
Come on it's not rocket science.

Heatley = Winger
Richards = Center plus is a "torts kind of guy"

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
As overpaid as those guys are (Redden/Rosivhal) i can't imagine what the Rangers would do without them. Your D would be too inexperienced...
I wouldn't be bothered with having a D of Redden, Staal, Girardi, Bouillon, some rookies, and maybe another depth veteran defender. We're at that point where Staal and Girardi need to lose the youth tag and I think they will. I just try to remember that WSH's D wasn't the greatest and they did alright.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Yea, the same Glen who has been masterful in regards to trades during his time here.

However, I am enjoying the conspiracy theories. Theyre providing me with a good laugh as I try to get through the work day

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:56 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
This would be on Torts for sure cause he wants Richards

I think Richards can be a really good player but the Rangers would have to get something young back on D.

Thing is who the heck is going to take Rozsival for nothing?............likely no one so it won't get done
Glen's picking up the phone right now and calling his buddy and trading partner----Don Maloney in Phoneix.At one point they were interested in Rosi.

It's a joke but you never know--to bad Phoneix is in trouble with the owner sitution otherwise I could see it.

Old
08-14-2009, 08:56 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Honestly I'm not sure if I'm taking the word of some Pittsburgh(?)-based site in regards to what the Rangers are going to do. To me that looks like nothing more than a rumor site.
Site is reliable. I don't write for them but they have been at the front of some of the stronger rumors and they generally nail it.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
So I guess outplaying two 7 million dollar centers as a sophmore constitutes "pissing them off" then? Is that right?

I call that horsecrap!
What's horsecrap is your definition of outplaying. I'm sure they were extremely pleased when Dubi disappeared off the face of the earth for 20 games or so!

Right on!

Please tell me why a deal hasn't been made. Slats has locked EVERY young worthwhile RFA by this time, hasn't he?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Site is reliable. I don't write for them but they have been at the front of some of the stronger rumors and they generally nail it.
I think it's true that the Rangers have some interest in Richards. I'm not sure I believe the info about Dubinsky though...Sather plays his cards too close for that

edit: why would other teams want a RFA that isn't signed? I think they'd rather Sather sign Dubinsky before he was traded if he's actually up on the block. In which case, Sather would be better off by signing Dubinsky sooner rather than later.

Basically I'm saying, Sather NOT signing Dubinsky because he's trying to trade him doesn't make a ton of sense, because he's probably more valuable to other teams as a signed player, rather than just a RFA. That way, they know what they're getting in terms of contracts, etc.

Last edited by Levitate: 08-14-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:07 AM
howztheglass

Here's something that could possibly happen.

Knowing Mr. Dolan as well as I do he is not one to worry about spending a few extra dollars nor going over budget so to speak but with the cap he nor Glen can do that.

But what Glen can get him to do is say Richards is what the Rangers need and if he's willing to eat a few million(something we do every month or so) we can dump Redden is the minors and just eat the contact.Problem solved cap room created.

Now the next problem is who's playing on defense--bring on the kids.

Before anyone laughs this has been talked about before and could be brought back to the table.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Ranger Wolf

I don't see this happening. The only way the Rangers can fit Richards on the roster is if a significant salary goes back the other way. The only two that make sense are Rozsival or Redden. Stars have already stated they aren't interested in Rozsival. I seriously doubt they would have any interest in Redden, especially with a higher cap hit than Rozsival for a longer period of time. And Drury isn't going anywhere especially if Dubinsky is included (and his NMC).

Quote:
But what Glen can get him to do is say Richards is what the Rangers need and if he's willing to eat a few million(something we do every month or so) we can dump Redden is the minors and just eat the contact.Problem solved cap room created.
I seriously believe that the NHLPA would have a major problem with this, especially with the number of years remaining on Redden's contract. This isn't the same as Kasparaitis' situation.

Ranger Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Here's something that could possibly happen.

Knowing Mr. Dolan as well as I do he is not one to worry about spending a few extra dollars nor going over budget so to speak but with the cap he nor Glen can do that.

Now the next problem is who's playing on defense--bring on the kids.

Before anyone laughs this has been talked about before and could be brought back to the table.
MSG is moving forward in becoming a seperate entity from Cablevision...meaning they will no longer have Cablevision's bottomless pit of cash as a crutch in the near future.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think it's true that the Rangers have some interest in Richards. I'm not sure I believe the info about Dubinsky though...Sather plays his cards too close for that

edit: why would other teams want a RFA that isn't signed? I think they'd rather Sather sign Dubinsky before he was traded if he's actually up on the block. In which case, Sather would be better off by signing Dubinsky sooner rather than later.

Basically I'm saying, Sather NOT signing Dubinsky because he's trying to trade him doesn't make a ton of sense, because he's probably more valuable to other teams as a signed player, rather than just a RFA. That way, they know what they're getting in terms of contracts, etc.
Either way signed or not I'm sure the other GM will know what Dubi wants in terms of a salary--rumor has it around 1.3-1 7 million a year.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:13 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Looks like 90% of Ranger fans are opposed to trading for Richards... Sather typically only screws up in the UFA signing department... I can't imagine he would make such a stupid trade after the Gomez blockbuster...

We need to show patience with our current roster and reserve cap space for UFA signings the next 2 off-seasons... Like targeting Savard who has 1 year left w/ the Bruins... Anyone else know which other Centers will be UFA's in the near future (other than Marleau)?

Quote:
I imagine if the Rangers traded for Richards, they'd try to keep him around for longer than just 2 years (depending on his performance)
Yeah but how do we convince Richards & his Agent that he deserves a $1.8 mil pay cut?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Looks like 90% of Ranger fans are opposed to trading for Richards... Sather typically only screws up in the UFA signing department... I can't imagine he would make such a stupid trade after the Gomez blockbuster...

Yeah but how do we convince Richards & his Agent that he deserves a $1.8 mil pay cut?
Show them Richards' numbers over the last couple of years, as well as the economic climate. Do you honestly think Richards will get anything close to 7.8 million per for his next contract?

Old
08-14-2009, 09:16 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
This is pretty much how I feel...Richards would be a very nice addition and I think would look great with Gaborik...he's a good player, great playmaker, but damn his contract is horrible and it's for another two years, and trading Dubinsky for that huge contract just rubs me wrong for some reason.

Plus, why in the world would Dallas do this. Trade their number 1 center for a guy who's not a legit 1st line center, and they would have to take back salary like Rozisval or Redden, so they wouldn't even be saving that much cap space. Of course there's the possibility of another trade beforehand to clear cap space for the Rangers, but it's all just a mess when you really think about the trade.

I can imagine the Rangers have kicked the tires about Richards, but I just can't see this being a hot rumor because it makes no sense for Dallas, and is a difficult trade to pull off for the Rangers
Not that I agree with this assessment, but I have a feeling that they may be looking at Ribiero as their #1 center as he has posted #1 center numbers the last 2 years

Now, while I don't agree with the assessment, the numbers posted indicate a true and legit #1 center. As such, they probably feel that shedding themselves of that Richards contract even if it meant a net reduction of 2.8 million or so is going to be a good thing.

I just can't see them finding a team that will take that salary back, without taking back some $$ as well.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Richards has not has a good season since 05-06, since then he has scored en pace for approximately and sometimes under 20 goals and 70 points, and reaped a long term 7 mil + per contract; remind you of anyone in particular?

And as far as them not wanting Roszival... well its that or Redden for it to work, we sure as hell aren't trading them Lundqvist.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:17 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I would say that he is right between Gomez and Drury even.

Is he a good player? Of course. He would right now easily become a top 5 forward in NY. Top 2 most would say.

But don't let that fool you. He is a 65-70 pts player in 80 games on the avg NHL team. He have missed the PO's in 5 of his 10 NHL seasons. He was very avg for Dallas last season in his 52 games -- he definitly didn't help them much. But the BOTTOMLINE is that he makes 7.8m per. With him as our 1st line center its hard to name 4 teams in the EAST without a better 1st line center. Is that worth 7.8m per?

Not in my opinion. We also already have Drury. If you get Richards you need to get rid of Drury. They are very alike as talents and players.
Richards and Drury are NOTHING alike as players.

Richards puts up 70+ points 20+ goals per year.

Drury puts up 40 points per year.

Richards is fast, big, strong, and is a good playmaker.

Drury is not really any of those.

Richards is a fantastic hockey player. As far as talent goes, I would trade Dubinsky for him in a heartbeat. AS FAR AS TALENT GOES.

That contract is brutal, though.

And he is 29 years old, how much longer will he be putting those numbers up?

Dubinsky has a lot of upside and potential.

So, i could go either way on this one.

Let's all remember that next year, GM's may be granted a FREE buyout. Which means Redden would be gone instantaneously with no cap hit. That frees up 6.5 mil instantly. And suddenly Richards' contract doesn't look so bad, considering he and Gaborik will be glued at the hip.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:18 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
OK,what stories have they broken?

It's like the Sens Chirp guy. When you ask what stories he(assuming it's a he)has broken, you get no response.

This is a news article?
Well I haven't been writing it down....

But they've nailed a few trades on the deadline, and more then half of their rumors are usually confirmed through the media later on or happen.

That site is about as legit as it gets when it comes to a rumor/news site.

Senschirp is not reliable.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
MSG is moving forward in becoming a seperate entity from Cablevision...meaning they will no longer have Cablevision's bottomless pit of cash as a crutch in the near future.
not really true...Dolan will still be in control and he'll still have the resources

it's not like they just take money directly from Cablevision and pump it into the Rangers or something

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
What's horsecrap is your definition of outplaying. I'm sure they were extremely pleased when Dubi disappeared off the face of the earth for 20 games or so!

Right on!

Please tell me why a deal hasn't been made. Slats has locked EVERY young worthwhile RFA by this time, hasn't he?
Dissapeared how? Becuase of his lack of scoring? Maybe due to the fact he also started logging 3rd line minutes? Please, Brandon was what 7th in the league in hits last year? He never stopped hustling, he always plays solid two-way hockey.

To not see the value in the 23 year old Dubinsky to me is pathetic. Maybe...just maybe Richards will put up more offensive numbers. But...factor in Age,salary, and all the intangibles that a Brandon Dubinsky brongs to the table I just can't see the club making this kind of a deal. Especially when theey have been battling the cap for the past two seasons now. Now they add another player with a 7 million dollar pricetag?

I see this one very differently. I'll take the guy that plays hard on both ends of the ice. The guy that hits everyone. The guy that stands up for himself, and his teammates at the drop of a dime. The guy that comes with the much cheaper pricetag and gives his all every shift. The guy that came up through the system. The guy that at the asge of 23 is already part of the core of the team, and a true leader. More importantly, the guy that is already proven here in NY. Lets face it...Not everyone can play here. But Dubinsky is already proven here, imo he's only going to get better. Richards is totally unproved. In Dallas he was Meh? He didn't dazzle anyone over there. His last couple years in Tampa were also mediocre. Is that the type of player we can expect to come in here to NY and earn a 7.8 million dollar paycheck? I don't think so!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
not really true...Dolan will still be in control and he'll still have the resources

it's not like they just take money directly from Cablevision and pump it into the Rangers or something
Dolan will still be in control, but MSG's books will now be independent of Cablevision's. He'll have resources, but the willingness to throw money around with wreckless abandon will be gone. Theres no way on earth Redden will be paid 30 million dolllars to sit in the minors.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:26 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Show them Richards' numbers over the last couple of years, as well as the economic climate. Do you honestly think Richards will get anything close to 7.8 million per for his next contract?
I bet he'll find a team to pay him at least $7 mil, especially if he has a strong season in his last year of his contract... There's always a team willing to overpay on the open market...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

If there's any truth to this rumor (and I'm not convinced there is), Tortorella is really starting to come off badly to me.

If the Rangers are in fact shopping Dubinsky, then, both Sather and Tortorella have lost their collective minds. And they should be held fully responsible for being the major jackasses; they could very well be.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:28 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
They will become seperate entities but will still both be owned under Cablevision umbrella(aka the Dolan's).I'm not saying that there will be a bottomless pit of cash but the cash will still be there if needed--Basically robbing Peter to pay Paul.