HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Eyeing Brad Richards

Old
08-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Do the starts have a nice cheap young top 4 Dman the Rangers can get back?. If so its tempting

Thing is Rozy is going no where at that price. Rangers would have to take salary back from another team

so its Dallas taks Rozy or no deal

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:30 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

not expecting this to happen. dallas will ask for staal or grachev if we want richards that bad and thats where it will die. add to that the salary we have to move and the whole thing is silly.

hicks is going broke in dallas. he needs to save $$$ and taking back rozy or redden would be suicide for him. not only too expensive but who wants mike blowz-it-all on their blueline ??

also, i think we are over valuing brandon dubinsky as well. hes a nice player but hes hardly in huge demand. hes young and affordable but he hasnt done much to date to show hes going to be more than a #2 centerman at best. im afraid hicks will ask for more than just dubi and thats where slats will walk away and rightly so.

dont get me wrong, richards is a fantastic player. hes money. but hes expensive. i mean we should have just kept gomez for crying out loud. not really---- his contract is bad and its for like 100 more years...... so forget gomez.

if we can get a centerman this year- and that depends on whom we can dump rozy or redden on- then i expect, unfortunately, that we start the season with a 3rd line center- dubi- centering our elite winger and the pressure will be squarely on dubis shoulders to produce. good luck with that. im not expecting much there.

next year, we go hard after marc savard which will cost us only money and then gabby gets his #1 pivot.

until then, its gonna be #1 centerman by committee.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 08-14-2009 at 09:36 AM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Vitto79

For the last time Redden does not stink he just makes too much freaking money

they guys is a solid top 4 Dman........Rangers have young cheap Dmen coming up that they will ease into the roster to combat the stupid contract

at 3.5-4 million Redden would be looked at as just fine

Old
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Dissapeared how? Becuase of his lack of scoring? Maybe due to the fact he also started logging 3rd line minutes? Please, Brandon was what 7th in the league in hits last year? He never stopped hustling, he always plays solid two-way hockey.

To not see the value in the 23 year old Dubinsky to me is pathetic. Maybe...just maybe Richards will put up more offensive numbers. But...factor in Age,salary, and all the intangibles that a Brandon Dubinsky brongs to the table I just can't see the club making this kind of a deal. Especially when theey have been battling the cap for the past two seasons now. Now they add another player with a 7 million dollar pricetag?

I see this one very differently. I'll take the guy that plays hard on both ends of the ice. The guy that hits everyone. The guy that stands up for himself, and his teammates at the drop of a dime. The guy that comes with the much cheaper pricetag and gives his all every shift. The guy that came up through the system. The guy that at the asge of 23 is already part of the core of the team, and a true leader. More importantly, the guy that is already proven here in NY. Lets face it...Not everyone can play here. But Dubinsky is already proven here, imo he's only going to get better. Richards is totally unproved. In Dallas he was Meh? He didn't dazzle anyone over there. His last couple years in Tampa were also mediocre. Is that the type of player we can expect to come in here to NY and earn a 7.8 million dollar paycheck? I don't think so!

Absolutely!

The Rangers will be a much softer, weaker team without Dubinsky.

They're already fairly soft with the addition of Gaborik and Kotalik.

Gaborik is a SUPER talent, so that's still an advantageous trade off.

The top two lines are going to be soft, with the exception of Higgins. Not that Higgins is some master of toughness. But he has some good grit.

Otherwise, this team is sorely lacking in physical toughness and character toughness.

Trading off Dubinsky only makes matters softer.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
howztheglass

Let's all remember that next year, GM's may be granted a FREE buyout. Which means Redden would be gone instantaneously with no cap hit. That frees up 6.5 mil instantly. And suddenly Richards' contract doesn't look so bad, considering he and Gaborik will be glued at the hip.[/QUOTE]

That's why I wrote about the Rangers possibly dumping Redden in the minors for 1 year and then it's good buy--Are you sure it's no cap hit I thought I heard it was going to be 1/3 of the players salary but maybe I'm wrong.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

they guys is a solid top 4 Dman.....
Four years ago he was. He hasn't been that fof that long. And he did stink for a majority of last season and the his previous three seasons in Ottawa.

You can't possibly have watched him all season long and came out thinking this guy is a solid top 4 d-man. Even Paul Mara played better defense for a larger portion of the season, than Redden.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:39 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
please please please no......

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:39 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Four years ago he was. He hasn't been that fof that long. And he did stink for a majority of last season and the his previous three seasons in Ottawa.

You can't possibly have watched him all season long and came out thinking this guy is a solid top 4 d-man. Even Paul Mara played better defense for a larger portion of the season, than Redden.
Redden was fine last season. He has his ups and downs but the last 1/4th of the season and playoffs he was very solid in his own zone.

As for the Mara comment....did you forget Mara was also playing about 8 minutes less and against other teams 3rd/4th lines while Redden was usually paired again the other teams top 2 lines?

Redden >>>>>>>>>> Mara...any day of the week.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Again, Richards barey squeaked out more points than Dubinsky, in the last two seasons. The guy only managed 7-8 more points more than Dubi, in each of the last two seasons.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:42 AM
howztheglass

Quote:

Agreed--Redden is not the answer to our blue line problems but if he's gone he won't be missed.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Redden was fine last season. .
Yeah, right.

The guy stunk 80% of the season.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
Let's all remember that next year, GM's may be granted a FREE buyout. Which means Redden would be gone instantaneously with no cap hit. That frees up 6.5 mil instantly. And suddenly Richards' contract doesn't look so bad, considering he and Gaborik will be glued at the hip.

Lets remember that the amnesty buyout is only a rumor and in no way, shape, or form confirmed.

To operate under the assumption that the buyout option is a sure thing would be idiotic at this point.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Redden was fine last season. He has his ups and downs but the last 1/4th of the season and playoffs he was very solid in his own zone.

As for the Mara comment....did you forget Mara was also playing about 8 minutes less and against other teams 3rd/4th lines while Redden was usually paired again the other teams top 2 lines?

Redden >>>>>>>>>> Mara...any day of the week.
Redden was awful last season....

Playoffs? I love wen people say Redden was good in the playoffs as if I team went on some sort of run for the cup with Redden. The Rangers lost in the first round and who was on the ice when the series winning goal was scored? He was ok in those 7 games but it means nothing ...zip...nada

Redden was fine last year if you enjoy mediocrity.
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:48 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Lets remember that the amnesty buyout is only a rumor and in no way, shape, or form confirmed.

To operate under the assumption that the buyout option is a sure thing would be idiotic at this point.
Not so sure of that--I think in someway that it's going to be tied into the salary cap going down a little.But your right until it is definite or confirmed it's only a rumor.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:49 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Again, Richards barey squeaked out more points than Dubinsky, in the last two seasons. The guy only managed 7-8 more points more than Dubi, in each of the last two seasons.
thats silly. really

he had 62 point in 08 season playing mostly on an awful tampa team.

um.... dubi had 40 playing with jagr.

hes been hurt. alot. broke both wrists last season i believe.

when healthy he craps all over dubinsky. period.

dudes a few years removed from being one of the top forwards in the nhl.

2003-04 Stanley Cup
2003-04 NHL - Lady Byng Trophy (Most Sportsmanlike)
2003-04 NHL - Conn Smythe Trophy (Playoffs MVP)

brad richards is a money player. hes just too expensive for our capspace and hell cost us too much but lets not get carried away here.

hes worlds better than dubi right now today.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:51 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Richards and Drury are NOTHING alike as players.

Richards puts up 70+ points 20+ goals per year.

Drury puts up 40 points per year.

Richards is fast, big, strong, and is a good playmaker.

Drury is not really any of those.

Richards is a fantastic hockey player. As far as talent goes, I would trade Dubinsky for him in a heartbeat. AS FAR AS TALENT GOES.

That contract is brutal, though.

And he is 29 years old, how much longer will he be putting those numbers up?

Dubinsky has a lot of upside and potential.

So, i could go either way on this one.

Let's all remember that next year, GM's may be granted a FREE buyout. Which means Redden would be gone instantaneously with no cap hit. That frees up 6.5 mil instantly. And suddenly Richards' contract doesn't look so bad, considering he and Gaborik will be glued at the hip.

With all due respect Supersonic - Drury's average point total per year is 60.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Yeah, right.

The guy stunk 80% of the season.
That's twice I'll agree with you.I'm not sure how anyone believes that he played so much better at the end of the season when he was horrible for most of it.Kill me if you want but I would rather have 2 or 3 guys still left on the market(Seidenberg,Bergergon or RFA Babchuk)then 5 more years of Redden on the blue line.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
thats silly. really

he had 62 point in 08 season playing mostly on an awful tampa team.

um.... dubi had 40 playing with jagr.

hes been hurt. alot. broke both wrists last season i believe.

when healthy he craps all over dubinsky. period.

dudes a few years removed from being one of the top forwards in the nhl.

2003-04 Stanley Cup
2003-04 NHL - Lady Byng Trophy (Most Sportsmanlike)
2003-04 NHL - Conn Smythe Trophy (Playoffs MVP)

brad richards is a money player. hes just too expensive for our capspace and hell cost us too much but lets not get carried away here.

hes worlds better than dubi right now today.
Neither of them are Patrick Marleau though

Which is really funny because Marleau's cap hit is only a little over a million dollars less than Richards'.

Old
08-14-2009, 10:00 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

they guys is a solid top 4 Dman........Rangers have young cheap Dmen coming up that they will ease into the roster to combat the stupid contract

at 3.5-4 million Redden would be looked at as just fine
Solid is the last adjective I would use to describe Redden...

There's nothing solid about his physical play, his intensity level, his work along the boards, nor his play with the puck at the point....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Solid is the last adjective I would use to describe Redden...

There's nothing solid about his physical play, his intensity level, his work along the boards, nor his play with the puck at the point....
Redden has blown a tire over the last couple of season...lost a couple of miles per hour off his fast ball.....whatever analogy you want to use to describe how slow and lethargic he looked for the majority of last season. Its very rare for a player to regain their speed and agility on the wrong side of 30.

Ya know what the sad truth is? Even though hes overpaid and a shell of his former self, we need the guy.

Old
08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Redden has blown a tire over the last couple of season...lost a couple of miles per hour off his fast ball.....whatever analogy you want to use to describe how slow and lethargic he looked for the majority of last season. Its very rare that player regain their speed and agility on the wrong side of 30.

Ya know what the sad truth is? Even though hes overpaid and a shell of his former self, we need the guy.
Why do we need him? The only reason we didn't find a replacement for him is because no one will take on his contract.... Contribution wise, he could be easily replaced... Call me crazy without having seen him play but I have a strong hunch that Gilroy will outplay Redden the latter part of this season....

My biggest issue with Redden is his lack of intensity... He doesn't compete hard... I cringe everytime I see an odd-man rush and Redden's half-assed back-checking that results in a gentle hook from behind that does nothing to break up the play... You'd never see the guy dive to break up a play... Or take a run at someone in the crease who's slamming away at a rebound....

You'd think he'd feel guilty about makign $6+ mil a season and probably being the 4th best defenseman on the team... You'd think with any integrity that he would try and elevate other areas of his game to help compensate, like making a conscious effort to play more physical.... But nope, you see the same old same old from him.... He's undeserving of his contract and undeserving of wearing the Ranger's uniform...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I still firmly believe that Gabby is not that kind of player that needs a traditional "#1 center" to be successful. Giving up significant assets to get one at this point would be foolish.

08-14-2009, 10:13 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Did you look at the "Games Played" column?

Richards was injured this year, played 56 games, and still out scored Dubinsky.

The year before that he put up 62 points, 20 goals. Dubinsky put up 40 points that year. That's 22 points more. Not 8.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Why do we need him?

My biggest issue with Redden is his lack of intensity... He doesn't compete hard... I cringe everytime I see an odd-man rush and Redden's half-assed back-checking that results in a gentle hook from behind that does nothing to break up the play... You'd never see the guy dive to break up a play... Or take a run at someone in the crease who's slamming away at a rebound....

You'd think he'd feel guilty about makign $6+ mil a season and probably being the 4th best defenseman on the team... You'd think with any integrity that he would try and elevate other areas of his game to help compensate, like making a conscious effort to play more physical.... But nope, you see the same old same old from him.... He's undeserving of his contract and undeserving of wearing the Ranger's uniform...
Because, even though hes being paid like a #1 defenseman, and playing like a #4 or even a #5, hes still an NHL defenseman (although I dont know for how much longer if this slide in play continues). We need all the NHL caliber defenseman we can get because we only have 4 on the roster right now. Im not a big fan at all of throwing 3 or even 2 rookies into the fire that is Tort's system, which leaves defensemen hanging out to dry more often than not.

Old
08-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I still firmly believe that Gabby is not that kind of player that needs a traditional "#1 center" to be successful. Giving up significant assets to get one at this point would be foolish.
I agree Dubi or even Anisimov would be fine. then see what they go and go from their at the deadline

Saying Wade Redden is a top 4 Dman is not crazy. I mean come on people , he makes alot of money and the cap hurts the team so people are even harder on the guy

he is not a # 5/6 Dman