HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is this year lineup better than last year's one?

Old
08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Yes we've added chemistry based off those quality interviews they've given. As of now, thats a ridiculous statement seeing as they haven't stepped on the ice yet.
Not so ridiculous when we know Gomez and Gionta can click. Cammy plays well with whoever based on the fact he scores wherever he has been. chemistry on ice takes a little time but these guys can work it easier than perfect strangers.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 11:34 PM
HabsHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
I have latendresse in my line up and not higgins because lats is still with montreal, the reason why we didn't scratch Higgins is because we always thought that he was gonna get out of his slump but it never happend, I find ever since that injury against new jersey he never really found his touch. Latendresse on the other hand is younger and has more potential (personally I hate them both) but if I had to chose it would be Lats. Thats just my opinion
ok

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Not so ridiculous when we know Gomez and Gionta can click. Cammy plays well with whoever based on the fact he scores wherever he has been. chemistry on ice takes a little time but these guys can work it easier than perfect strangers.
maybe they can maybe can't. People also thought Koivu and Kovalev would click. Today based on the fact that Gionta and Gomez are the only ones who have played together and have any sort history, its ridiculous to assume chemistry. They clicked but 2 players don't make a line. They also had a star player named Eliash alongside them.

Guess what, those Ranger players that produced in previous cities didn't click. To make that sort of assumption and make it sound like a slam dunk is ridiculous which is what the original post was.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
It is a difficult call considering on paper the 2008-2009 team was in actuality one of the best. It just unfortunately ended in disaster, which is why I am surprised Gainey was so quick to throw away almost the entire roster. Either way I do not believe the Habs have improved much. On defense, definitely however offensively I cannot say they have. If Koivu and Kovalev rebound and Gomez and Gionta do not, it will look horrendous however it would be genius if the reverse happened.

Offensively I prefer last year's team with the exceptionally of Cammy. That was a solid addition, albeit overpaid for a gamble. Defensively this coming season will be much better.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:10 AM
PATCHESx67

Honnestly this year our players will show up every game and play with heart that's one thing we didn't have last year

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:12 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

A lot depends on Gomez. If he can hit 70 points or more I think this lineup easily overpowers last year. If not, he isn't really an upgrade on Saku and the two lineups are closer. I still like this team more. Irrespective of scoring output the additions up front are younger whereas Kovalev and Koivu are nearing their expiration date. This looks like a winning top 6. I never had that feeling ast year.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Brownies

Some guys around here are smoking some good weed if they say things that smell homerism through the fan of my laptop like :

Gionta > Tanguay and Pacioretti > Higgins

Tanguay = 0.88 points/game
Gionta = 0.66 points/game

I'd also had that our new "sniper" only scored over 25 goals once (48) while the "now too much of a playmaker for our team" Tanguay have done it 3 times. I like Gionta but I think he's overpaid and I hate when people start dissing every player once they leave our team.

Pacioretti could become better than Higgins but he'll need some times. I think he need another year in the AHL to round up his game.

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 02:21 AM
MaKi

Basically our lineup is comparable to last years opening night roster, could be better or worse, it's debatable.
The thing is, how often did we actually dress that lineup?
I don't know if you guys remember the beginning of last season, but there was some games where we weren't even playing well and we managed to win because our offense was that good.
I couldn't believe it because it had been so long since I had seen an explosive offense from the habs.
So if this lineup is comparable, and stays healthy, I think they'll be just fine this season.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:23 AM
BLONG7

It's a crapshoot guys...last year's team couldn't stay healthy. This year's team is younger and faster, will they gel? Let the season begin already!!! I think if we can stay away from injuries we will be OK...I am looking for a big season from our new players, and think that Spacek will be a major surprise!!! This signing has really gone under the radar....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Habs4Life

vCash: 666
I think what everyone forgets is that we have a less injury prone line up which will allow for more chemistry amongst the group. The longer everyone gets to play with each other the better.

And for the record I consider MaxPac > Higgins because Higgins is injury prone, so Maxpac brings more over the course of one full season.

I am excited to see what this team can do after about 20 games.

Habs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:41 AM

I think on paper, the Habs are as good if not better team than they were at this point last year, but, as we all know the game is played on a sheet of ice, not a sheet of paper.

That being said, I think the Habs will be a MUCH different team than they were last year, I think they'll be alot more competitive and agressive, they'll have a more direct approach on offense, more substance and less style...less of the pin point, tic-tac-toe type of offense we've seen the last two years. I think that will make the biggest difference

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Blackshad

Yes it is.. but no KOvy

Blackshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:05 AM
zzoo

Here are my thoughts:

- This years, we are slightly better than last year, thanks to the defense
- With the addition of Spacek, Mara and Gill, I think we are much better
- As for the offence, I don't think we are better. Although Kovalev, Koivu and Tanguay are replaced, we still lose Lang and Higgins.
- The poor performance of last year is caused by some injuries and the poor performance (below their real talent) from many players
- If we keep exactly the same team as last year, with the change of coach and no injury, then I think we could finish 4-6th. This year with the new changes, I think we finish 3-5th

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:21 AM
neofury*

On offense:
We lose Koivu for Gomez (Similar point production, less injury prone)
We lose Kovalev for Gionta (Has similar ups and downs as kovalev, maybe less likely to have as good a season as Kovy but increased likeliness by being paired with Gomez)
We lose Tanguay for Cammalleri (Is a huge improvement on Tanguay, even though I did like Tanguay, this guys a real sniper)
We lose Kostopolous for Moen (nuff said, he's a big improvement)
We lose Dandy, Bouillon, Brisebois, Schneider, for:
Spacek (> all of them)
Mara (> all of them)
Gill (= in skill but > in size then them)

So we've essentially improved our offense slightly, with the possibility of a big improvement imo (depends how players play, how chemistry is, and also how our young guys do)
We've entirely revamped and bettered our D definitely. Don't get me wrong though a lot still relies on Price, Halak.

One thing I will say, I expect Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Kostitsyn, Patches and co to improve this year, not decline, either because of a bounc back or because they're steadily improving young players.

That all having been said, we still have Price + Halak, two young goalies fighting to prove they are a #1. Our goaltending should slightly improve again because these are young players still developing.

My biggest question marks: Gomez+Gionta chemistry, Plekanec production, S. Kostitsyn bounce back, Price/Halak taking the reigns.

The rest I think will be fine. We have a nice bottom 6, a good top 6, and our D looks nice. If somebody gets injured we have some good d like Weber, Subban, Carle, all of whom are looking to make the permanent leap, and Mara signed for 1 year (makes sense).

I think it's a vast improvement on D, a slight improvement on offense, with the possibility of it being a major improvement if people click and have chemistry.

Most importantly, a huge improvement on durability

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:27 AM
shutehinside

Stale. That's how I would describe last years team. Even though we had some good talent it felt like staus quo with making the playoffs and loosing in the first 2 rounds. We also had a much older lineup last year and a lot of forwards on the downside of their careers.

This year, hearing what is being said by guys like Gomez, Cammy, Mara etc. it's no longer the status quo to just make the playoffs. These guys genuinely want to win a cup and are actually saying it! I'm sorry, but when your captain (Koivu) says in preseason that he hopes to make the playoffs, it just sends a bad message throughout. I'm not bashing him, but a change in sceneray is what everyone needed and a fresh new attitude and young guys in the peak of their careers and not finshing it.

Also, what's extremely important to note isn't just the change in offence. Our defence is MUCH better then it was last year and are much bigger and physical. With guys like Gill and Mara clearing the crease and preventing Price from being run so he can focus and see the puck will make a HUGE impact. Not to mention a defence first system that will make all 5 players on the ice accountable using players (Gomez, Gionta etc) that thrived in the same type of system in the past.

That being said, overall, I really like the changes that were made and I can envision a much fiestier and quicker team that will play behind the puck and take advantage of turnovers due to playing in an actual system and not by the seat of their pants. I think the team is not only better, but will take a lot of teams by surprise and make a run once everyone is on the same page. One can only hope eveything works out as planned.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:31 AM
spoofpig

hard to say hopefully this years will will stay healthy

spoofpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Stephaaane

I think that last year team had way more potential to be a top contender. By December, we were the team to beat in the east and then, injuries came and destroyed the year (plus «THE SAGA» that went throught february)

Stephaaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:35 AM
FuriousBob

Kovalev < Cammalleri
Koivu =< Gomez
Tanguay > Gionta
Kostoupoulos < Moen
Lang > Plekanec (Just if pleks plays like last year)
Lats > Higgins (as of last year)

Spacek >>>> Brisebois
Mara > Komisarek (as of last year performance)
Gill >= Bouillon

Even if our offense is in the same level of talent, this year we got better finisher.

You can't forget that all of our young players like
A.Kost-Lapierre-Latendresse-S.Kost-Price-Halak will have more experience and will likely have better season compared to last year.

I think that we improved in defense and we have no 'young players' with no experience this year so they have no excuse to underperform.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Kman777

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
Kovalev>Gionta and i'm not a Kovalev fan
Metropolit is still in the NHL, Chips isn't.
Lapierre is a completely different player from Plecks and Lang, how can you put = on all 3?
Komi>Mara and i'm not a Komi fan.
Higgins>Lats
It's just me, but I think Metropolit is a bag of ****.

I mean I think Lapierre will be as good a third line center for us this year, in terms of scoring and defensive play, as Plekanec was for us last year.

Komi last year, was not that good.

You don't think Latendresse can do better than twelve goals?

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 02:40 PM
oli500

3 things constitute a successful season regardless of the players you have in your line up.

Health
goaltending
special teams

These 3 things are what makes or brake a year or an organisation. I think we have a less injury prone players, a younger team and a more dynamic team than last year. The tanguy,lang,kovalev,koivu of the world are getting older there fore the risk of injury is grater than the players that we have now. We all saw how injuries can stop any momentum that has been built

Goaltending - goalies can make there team either look good or bad. Price is a top talent and he will learn from last year tough second half. we also have halak who is a more than good goalie

finally special teams are a big part of a team success.

If you look at the roster that we have now compared to last year team I can say that we are better now but that can change depending on the injuries we have

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 03:21 PM
axman88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman777 View Post
LW - Cammalleri > Tanguay
C - Gomez > Koivu
RW - Gionta < Kovalev

LW - Latendresse < Higgins
C - Plekanec < Lang
RW - A. Kostitsyn = A. Kostitsyn

LW - S. Kostitsyn
C - Lapierre < Plekanec
RW - Moen > Kostopoulos

LW - Stewart < Begin
C - Chipchura < Metropolit
RW - Laraque = Laraque

LD - Markov = Markov
RD - Mara = Komisarek*

LD - Spacek > Schenider
RD - Hamrlik = Hamrlik

LD - Gorges = Gorges
RD
- Gill > Bouillon

Spare - O'Byrne > Brisebois

*not saying Mara is BETTER than Komisarek, I think he can play as well as Komisarek did last year though.
fixed

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad View Post
Yes it is.. but no KOvy
you probably meant: no KOvy

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Begin ain't better than Stewart, Begin is injury-prone, small, takes dumb penalties at the worse time and bald.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Begin ain't better than Stewart, Begin is injury-prone, small, takes dumb penalties at the worse time and bald.
quoted for emphasis

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote