HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings' GM likes direction his team is headed - nhl.com's 30 in 30

Old
08-14-2009, 03:52 AM
backhander

vCash: 500
Kings' GM likes direction his team is headed - nhl.com's 30 in 30

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:28 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
"It starts with Kopitar," Lombardi told NHL.com. "He's never been in shape since I've been here. We've had to cut his minutes each year. If that young core does not learn and doesn't take the next step in the process, then we're going to be wasting our time.

"It's time we start pushing the envelope with our young players. I think Kopi's getting it. I saw him this summer and he looks 10 times better than last September."
Wow.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:05 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I have to admit, that the Kings, if anything, will be a ***** to play against next year.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:07 AM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing

I like this one a bit more... Ryan Smyth
Quote:
What he's focused on is being a leader by example and bringing the kind of gritty, determined play he has built his career on. The 33-year-old veteran can't wait to get the Kings back to the kind of prominence they enjoyed when Wayne Gretzky turned L.A. into a hockey town.

"I'm not going to sit here say we're a first-place team," he said. "We know the history of the Kings hasn't been successful as far as winning a Stanley Cup. As far as the excitement, it'll happen once you start winning and getting to the playoffs.

"I remember being young and I'd watch Gretz play there. There is energy in that building. We can get to that level."

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzKing View Post

I like this one a bit more... Ryan Smyth
If there really is excitement and energy in that building, and I believe there is, Ryan Smyth is the kind of hockey player to bring it out. He brings passion to the game that other players can't even fathom. I definately miss seeing him in an Oiler's jersey. I don't think Colorado was a very good fit for him, now being back with some familiar faces and on a team that looks to be headed up I think you will the see the best of what makes him such a special player. He leaves everything on the ice at all times, be prepared to love the guy if all goes well. The Kings are my second favourite team and I'm hoping things click for you guys this year.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Wow.
Double WOW...........

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Captain Ron

Funny that with how critical Lombardi is of Kopitar that he would make him one of the highest paid players in the league. Which reinforces my theory that the Kopitar contract was a publicity stunt.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:36 AM
not tellin*

well then you may as well go ahead and call all of the young budding stars second contracts "publicity stunts".

i think DL assumed that anyone that young, talented, and hungry would presumably put in there best effort of the ice. it just so happens that kopitar obviously needed a bit of a kick in the butt to get that going.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Funny that with how critical Lombardi is of Kopitar that he would make him one of the highest paid players in the league. Which reinforces my theory that the Kopitar contract was a publicity stunt.
I think Kopi's extension was a contract of good faith. The Kings know they have a superstar in the making. Just like every other young stud, they have to learn how to be a pro. This was no publicity stunt. It was a good hockey move, locking up you young superstar.

Old
08-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
well then you may as well go ahead and call all of the young budding stars second contracts "publicity stunts".

i think DL assumed that anyone that young, talented, and hungry would presumably put in there best effort of the ice. it just so happens that kopitar obviously needed a bit of a kick in the butt to get that going.
Not really. Up until the Kopitar contract Dean was getting a reputation for playing hardball with the Kings young players. Then Kopitar gets signed for almost $7 million/year. I think it was to show fans that he was not going to lose all of the Kings core to contract disputes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
I think Kopi's extension was a contract of good faith. The Kings know they have a superstar in the making. Just like every other young stud, they have to learn how to be a pro. This was no publicity stunt. It was a good hockey move, locking up you young superstar.

I do not disagree. But the criticisms of Kopitar are very similar as those Dean had of Cammalleri. Yet Cammi wasn't even offered more than $3 million/year. That is a huge difference when you consider neither player had even been to the post season when their contracts were being negotiated. As I have stated before Kopitar right now has the highest salary of any player in the NHL that has yet to participate in a post season game.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
To further that, I think DL sees something in Kopi. Heck, everyone could see that he was running out of gas by the end of seasons. I think he got that contract because he "gets it". All contracts to young players are a risk, but this is a pretty good one to take IMO.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:20 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Not really. Up until the Kopitar contract Dean was getting a reputation for playing hardball with the Kings young players. Then Kopitar gets signed for almost $7 million/year. I think it was to show fans that he was not going to lose all of the Kings core to contract disputes.
i wonder who it was that was giving DL that reputation?

Quote:
I do not disagree. But the criticisms of Kopitar are very similar as those Dean had of Cammalleri. Yet Cammi wasn't even offered more than $3 million/year. That is a huge difference when you consider neither player had even been to the post season when their contracts were being negotiated. As I have stated before Kopitar right now has the highest salary of any player in the NHL that has yet to participate in a post season game.
and stastny @ 6.6 hasn't either, and that wasn't a publicity stunt, or was it?

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
I don't remember DL every criticizing Cammi's physical shape, I always thought the guy was an absolute specimen while he was here. Built like a bull and strong for his size.

I always thought his criticism was that he wasn't a 'complete' enough player to justify his salary demands, and I tend to agree. Nothing against Cammi, I always liked the guy and he's an incredible goal scorer, but he can't carry a team. He isn't dominant, nor has he shown flashes that he can be. Kopitar has shown that already, has the tools, and the only thing he's missing is the preparation. I think that's why Kopitar got that contract.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Selanne08*

its not hard when you have top picks every year. just a couple more losing seasons and they will be a contender

edit: and i dont mean that in a bad way at all.. look at pens, caps, and hawks.

hoping my hometown thrashers do the same.

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Well... The contract was in the bag. There was little to dispute. He has all the tools to make him a top 10 player in the league and easily a top 10 center. Given his numbers over the last three years and his age, I don't think Lombardi played much of a role. He knew it was going to cost the team, and he knew he wanted that contract to be the longest, because we need him the most. Not even Dean Lombardi could have spun that deal...

Lombardi is critical of Kopitar because now he is our #1 franchise player and he needs to get his butt into gear. We bought him for the better part of the decade We have the right to be critical and to kick him in the bum if he is diddling about.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
i wonder who it was that was giving DL that reputation?
I don't know maybe Dean should look in the mirror.

Quote:
and stastny @ 6.6 hasn't either, and that wasn't a publicity stunt, or was it?
Stastny was signed after Kopitar. I am quite certain that Kopitar's contract was the yardstick used by Stastny's agent.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Well... The contract was in the bag. There was little to dispute. He has all the tools to make him a top 10 player in the league and easily a top 10 center. Given his numbers over the last three years and his age, I don't think Lombardi played much of a role. He knew it was going to cost the team, and he knew he wanted that contract to be the longest, because we need him the most. Not even Dean Lombardi could have spun that deal...

Lombardi is critical of Kopitar because now he is our #1 franchise player and he needs to get his butt into gear. We bought him for the better part of the decade We have the right to be critical and to kick him in the bum if he is diddling about.
I did not say Dean had no right to criticize Kopitar. But if you publicly say he has been getting his ice time cut because of a lack of commitment then it somewhat contradicts the new contract he just signed. That would be like my boss giving me a huge raise while telling me my production is so bad that he needs to cut back my overtime.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Lead Role in a Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
To further that, I think DL sees something in Kopi. Heck, everyone could see that he was running out of gas by the end of seasons. I think he got that contract because he "gets it". All contracts to young players are a risk, but this is a pretty good one to take IMO.
I am not really sure what you are saying or meaning here. All the things that Lombardi is saying is that Kopitar doesn't "get it". Cutting ice time anually, not being in shape, learning D in year three, out of gas at the end of the season probably isn't Lombardi's model of a young leader destined for Stanley Cup success. It doesn't really eek getting anywhere to be frank.

Perhaps I didn't understand you?

I hope he has the drive to get to that zone, and I think this is Lombardi's concern, hence the repeating of mentioneing Kopitar all the time.

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
its not hard when you have top picks every year. just a couple more losing seasons and they will be a contender
The Kings know they don't have THAT much time. This franchise hasn't made the playoffs since the 01-02 season

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:13 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhander View Post
Kings' GM likes direction his team is headed
Whew...I'm glad Dean likes the direction this team is heading..
Of course he likes the direction.. because it is him that made that direction.. If he says he still doesn't like the direction at this point, he's job will be at stake...

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
Whew...I'm glad Dean likes the direction this team is heading..
Of course he likes the direction.. because it is him that made that direction.. If he says he still doesn't like the direction at this point, he's job will be at stake...
Where is that Captain Obvious pic when I need it?

You're right, DL's job is "kind of" on the line. If they miss the playoffs in 2010, I would still keep DL for the 10-11 season, so his "completed 5-yr plan" can really take effect. I don't know if I'm serious or not.

All I know is that I EXPECT this team to make the playoffs in 2010. But I've been optimistic before and ....nothing...

It's probably a big mistake to count on Smyth that much...? Kopitar has to step it up this season.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
It's probably a big mistake to count on Smyth that much...? .
How much do you really think they are counting on him?

25 goals?

Shouldn't be impossible for him and also consider that He is replacing Calder the Succubus

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
The up side for Kopi is so much higher than it was for Cammi. Kopi, at 6'4 220lbs is going to be an eliete player in this league when everything is said and done. Cammi is a 2nd line winger. Cammi is not worth the 5 million he got and in time Kopi will be a bargin at his price tag.

Last edited by Youngblood93: 08-14-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old
08-14-2009, 01:55 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
If an out of shape, young Kopitar is able to do what he did his first 3 years in the NHL, then imagine what an in-shape, experienced Kopitar can do for the next 7 years. That's why he got the contract.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
How much do you really think they are counting on him?

25 goals?

Shouldn't be impossible for him and also consider that He is replacing Calder the Succubus
A full year for Smyth. I'd say 25-32 goals and 60-70 pts. He's going to be a monster on the PP and the Kings do get a lot of PP chances.

He will also do wonders for the youth on this team.