HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Danny Kristo article on NHL.COM

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2009, 12:01 PM
BadKiwi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Indeed.
Also I was talking about second round picks and beyond. Price, Akost, Komi and Higgins are first round picks if I'm not mistaken.
I don't even think Higgins was picked by Timmins.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexim View Post
Which codes? guy means player or guy means prospect? You already did that didn't you?
I don't know you lost me man.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Trexim

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
No kidding, we haven't developed any real established players in the last 5-7, except one or two, Ribeiro, Ryder, Hainsey, Komisarek, Plekanec, Higgins, Halak, A.Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Price, Latendresse, D'Agostini and soon to be Pacioretty, Subban, Weber, etc...

I didn't count Markov,Streit and Grabovski since they were older when they came over.
But, we don't have Oveckin, Crosby, Malkin or Richard, Gretzlaf, Parise.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
But, we don't have Oveckin, Crosby, Malkin or Richard, Gretzlaf, Parise.
That's because Timmins made the right decision in picking AKost over Getzlaf. Akost is a much better player.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Trexim

Quote:
That's because Timmins made the right decision in picking AKost over Getzlaf. Akost is a much better player.
He missed Lucic too... or we would have Neely in our team right now ....

Old
08-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Quote:
18 players were picked before Getzlaf .

Last edited by Watsatheo: 08-14-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old
08-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Trexim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
18 players were picked before Getzlaf .
I am sure you lost him too

Last edited by Watsatheo: 08-14-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old
08-14-2009, 12:06 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
No kidding, we haven't developed any real established players in the last 5-7, except one or two, Ribeiro, Ryder, Hainsey, Komisarek, Plekanec, Higgins, Halak, A.Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Price, Latendresse, D'Agostini and soon to be Pacioretty, Subban, Weber, S.Kosy, O'B, Stewart, etc...

I didn't count Markov,Streit and Grabovski since they were older when they came over.
First of all, I meant solid and established roster players that we still have with the Habs. Second of all, I'm not even sure Ribeiro, Komisarek and Ryder were drafted by Timmins. Third of all, Higgins, Plekanec, A Kost, SKost and Latendresse still didn't proove themselves as established and solid players. By that, I don't mean roster players, I mean players that could be qualified as "steals" and be productive top 6 forwards talent or top 4 d-men. Sure, Price, AKost, Plekanec all have good roles on the team, but none of them really proved they can be consistent.

What I'm trying to get at is that after every draft, we overhype Timmins' pick; people kept saying McDonagh was a "home-run" at the 12th rank overall, now people are saying Kristo was such a "steal", etc. Well I'm sorry, but none of the "genius" moves brought us a steady top 6 talent we can currently rely on on our team. The few players that had skills ended up developing attitude problems in Montreal and we lost them for nothing.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
He missed Lucic too... or we would have Neely in our team right now ....
Yup. You win some you lose some. He's done a good job and I never claimed otherwise. I just don't think he's as heroic as some around here make him out to be. He's made some excellent picks, but he's also made some huge mistakes.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Trexim

Quote:
Yup. You win some you lose some. He's done a good job and I never claimed otherwise. I just don't think he's as heroic as some around here make him out to be. He's made some excellent picks, but he's also made some huge mistakes.
I think Timmins is above average. He certainly missed some so did the other 29 head scouts.

You argued Timmins has not picked top end guys (prospects), I disagree.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:11 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
I will repeat again.

The OP implied Timmins regularly steals top end GUYS (not talent, not potential and blah blah) PLAYERS, in late rounds.

Other than potential, Mark Streit and a backup goalie there really isn't any proof of any magical late round picks by Timmins.

All I'm saying.

What's funny is that Timmins is hailed as a hero on HF boards and as soon as you question him even the slightest you are out of line. That's rediculous and very homer. Truth is Timmins did a good job, missed some, got some. Nothing more imho.

How many top end talents are coming out of every drafts? Some teams are drafting in the top 5 and dont even get a futur star..

Timmins did draft 3 top end talents so far IMO.. Carey Price A.Kostitsyn and P.K. Subban, all 3 still have the potential to dominate this game by their own.. Price has been picked 5th overall, A.Kost 10th overall and Subban late 2nd rounder..

Now, how many future NHLers did Timmins draft since 2003?? An amazing bunch.. Max Pac has the potential to become a pretty solid player. maybe not a star but certainly a strong PF able to play on the top line and make a difference.. we got the guy late in the first round when he should have been a top 10 IMO..

G.Latendresse, while he takes some time to develop, we still got a guy playing this game ala Bertuzzi, their style are similar but Guy knows what he has to improve to reach his potential, we could get him in the middle of the second round while this guy still could turn to be a real steal in the middle of the second round..

We got in Greg Stewart, a pretty solid grinder in the late rounds.. We got Sergei Kostitsyn in the late rounds, the kid surely didnt have a good season last year but we all know he has great potential, its a matter of builking up and taking his carreer seriously for him.. Matt D'Agostini, Mark Streit, Jaro Halak...

Anybody following the NHL a bit would recognize how amazing Timmins has been for our org.. If most of our kids have been stagnant in their progression last year its for a good reason, clear lack of leadership and discipline.. Gainey cleaned the house, hired the best coach possible, so get ready to see Timmins' work rewarded and finally recognized!!

Old
08-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
18 players were picked before Getzlaf.

What's wrong did I strike a chord or something? Oh right. I was merely pointing out the fact that Trevor Timmins is human after all. That gets you called names on this board. Business as usual. Hopefully you don't choke from keeping your head buried in the sand for too long.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
I think Timmins is above average. He certainly missed some so did the other 29 head scouts.

You argued Timmins has not picked top end guys (prospects), I disagree.
No, I did not. I said he hasn't picked anyone in late rounds that turned out to be a TOP NHL player. At least that's what I've been trying to say for a half hour now. When I realized you guys meant top prospects I AGREED.

Old
08-14-2009, 12:15 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyEndaz View Post
First of all, I meant solid and established roster players that we still have with the Habs. Second of all, I'm not even sure Ribeiro, Komisarek and Ryder were drafted by Timmins. Third of all, Higgins, Plekanec, A Kost, SKost and Latendresse still didn't proove themselves as established and solid players. By that, I don't mean roster players, I mean players that could be qualified as "steals" and be productive top 6 forwards talent or top 4 d-men. Sure, Price, AKost, Plekanec all have good roles on the team, but none of them really proved they can be consistent.

What I'm trying to get at is that after every draft, we overhype Timmins' pick; people kept saying McDonagh was a "home-run" at the 12th rank overall, now people are saying Kristo was such a "steal", etc. Well I'm sorry, but none of the "genius" moves brought us a steady top 6 talent we can currently rely on on our team. The few players that had skills ended up developing attitude problems in Montreal and we lost them for nothing.

i hope you realize each player should at least have three/four seasons to iron out consistency issues....or be over 25...aka akost's judgement is coming up this season but really thats it lol..........everyone else has been solid from what they contributed but contributing it consistenly UNDER A SYSTEM, with a pp shooter, better defence and a more structured game i think will help players regain whatever consistency they lost last year...and increased roles of course!

Old
08-14-2009, 12:22 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
No, I did not. I said he hasn't picked anyone in late rounds that turned out to be a TOP NHL player. At least that's what I've been trying to say for a half hour now. When I realized you guys meant top prospects I AGREED.
first of all thats really not an easy task lol...second of all i seriously consider mark streit a top nhl player he was kinda seventh in scoring on well the WORSE islanders team and still managed a plus 5...

another thing though seriously we should give draft picks at least five years to pan out properly as in...

couple years in either junior or ahl = 2,3 years and then another 2,3 years in nhl working out consistency, learning etc...

so technically this year we will have to key in on akost (although i honestly believe he will not dissappoint) and i also think konstantin korneev will be a top end puckmover if he every came over!

Old
08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
i hope you realize each player should at least have three/four seasons to iron out consistency issues....or be over 25...aka akost's judgement is coming up this season but really thats it lol..........everyone else has been solid from what they contributed but contributing it consistenly UNDER A SYSTEM, with a pp shooter, better defence and a more structured game i think will help players regain whatever consistency they lost last year...and increased roles of course!
Heard the exact same thing last year and the season before that.

I hope this is the year we don't only see flashes of brilliance. The injury slowed him quite a bit last year though I will say that. He was really impressive before that.

Old
08-14-2009, 01:07 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Heard the exact same thing last year and the season before that.

I hope this is the year we don't only see flashes of brilliance. The injury slowed him quite a bit last year though I will say that. He was really impressive before that.
two years ago he scored 50+ in his first full season last year he was the the leading even strength goal scorer despite a whole hoopla of bs...i am still satisfied with that type of production but players in his class have pretty much broken out in their third year point in case:

richards: 34 pts, 32 pts boom 75 points with a greater role

carter: 42, 37, 53 booom 84 in his fourth season

parise: 32, 62, 65 boom 94 in his fourth season

getzlaf even had similar number to akost in first season...of course then a stanley cup happened

brown: 28, 46, 60 points

so ya at least we didn't pick hugh jessiman, bernier, nillson, fehr, etc.

let akost play his third full season and if he doesn't a. break 30 goals or b. get 65+ points then ya he will be a disappointment BUT FAR FROM A BUST!

and i think his increased ice time given a higher role, less kovalev, less carbonnneau and fresh start will help!

Old
08-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Habs

Quote:
I said top end guys. Subban hasn't even played a game in the NHL yet. Weber has shown potential yes.

Pacioretty I agree with in the future.

But I see no top end guys yet. Maybe the O.P should say potential future top end guys.
Shhhh... the Timmins lovers claim every kid he drafts is the next Lemieux or Lidstrom.

Old
08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Drafting with the benefit of hindsight must be the easiest job in the world. I wonder how many of the brilliant minds here had Getzlaf or Parise at #10 on their draft lists back in 2003?

The people who can acknowledge that scouting is an inexact science at best know that Timmins is a very, very good drafter and scout. Those who can't can continue to play the "woulda coulda shoulda" game. All I know is that some people here are going to be for a very rude awakening if Timmins ever leaves for a GM job somewhere else or anything of that sort.

Old
08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
I thought the title said Danny Kristo article, not Trevor Timmons???

Old
08-14-2009, 02:05 PM
McNuts

Quote:
sigh. If that's what you call top end I rest my case.
lol, Streit isn't top end? Right, he only scored 118 points in his last 155 games... Name me 4 defensemen who scored more than that in the last 2 seasons.

Old
08-14-2009, 02:16 PM
hotcarle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Kristo and Stephen were born on the same day in the same city. If only I was American and a year younger, I could then complete the 18th of June trinity line.
June 18th is my birthday too. Martin St Louis, Danny Kristo sure beats Doug Bodger and David Volek(though his birthday seemed to change).

I liked what I saw in Kristo at last year's WJC. He made the team right after he was drafted, something Fischer and Mcdonaugh couldn't do and seems to have a speed/skill combination that could be quite promising.

Old
08-14-2009, 03:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Edit: Kristo is indeed very interesting. One year in NCAA and we will know better. We could see them both (Leblanc and Kristo) with us in a year from now.
I'd be flat out shocked if either was ready for the NHL a year from now, both need to bulk up a good bit.

Old
08-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
I'd be flat out shocked if either was ready for the NHL a year from now, both need to bulk up a good bit.
but a bulked up Kristo will be an awesome thing

Old
08-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
lol, Streit isn't top end? Right, he only scored 118 points in his last 155 games... Name me 4 defensemen who scored more than that in the last 2 seasons.
lol @ Bob Gainey

Closed Thread