HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

(confirmed) Mike Grier signed to one-year contract

Old
08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
I think you are right.

Horton has never really lived up to potential, but has skill, size and is already at a level where he'd walk into the Sabres top6 with ease.

I would certainly move Stafford, one of Paille/Tallinder or maybe both, and one of our glut of defensive prospects (not Myers) for him.

Not sure entirely what Florida's needs are to be honest.
They could use a defensive upgrade.

Not sure they'd take Paille but if they did a deal of Stafford, Paille, Tallinder and a mid round pick or defensive prospect (Not Myers, or Sekera and Butler if you still consider them prospects) could conceivably get the deal done.

BuiltTagonTough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Ddubs

The fax machine finally works!

Ddubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
1.2 million.... great deal

Paille is useless now
As long as Mike's knees are in good shape and he can still skate, I'll agree.

I like this move b/c both Paille and Stafford will get an object lesson about every 4 minutes or so as to how this game needs to be played to be successful. Maybe both of them will finally listen. These two guys must develop some consistency for this team to truly take that proverbial next step. Otherwise, the lineup is inadequate and will have to be shaken up from the outside come the deadline.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 05:39 PM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
I think Regier is preparing for Stafford to hold out.
Holdouts are verboten under this CBA. Drew signs or he sits for the year. If his commitment to hockey over music is that weak, I don't want him in the room.

Ta,

Old
08-13-2009, 05:41 PM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
Great deal, and it looks like Stafford's price is coming down every passing day. I think he'll sign for under $2 million now. Darcy has handled this situation well, as there really is no market or competition for Stafford at this point.
Stafford is an options contract about ready to expire on a triple-witching-day. He'll be lucky to get 2 million the day camp opens. If Regier gives him much more than that I might finally be off his bandwagon.

Ta,

Old
08-13-2009, 07:34 PM
SuitedAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The way the market has played out, I would be amazed if Stafford got more than 2mil and expect something around 1.5mil per.
Nah Giere won't effect Stafford's deal.

SuitedAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 07:35 PM
SuitedAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Stafford is an options contract about ready to expire on a triple-witching-day. He'll be lucky to get 2 million the day camp opens. If Regier gives him much more than that I might finally be off his bandwagon.

Ta,
he'll get 2 million easy

Old
08-14-2009, 06:11 AM
coffey7

Stafford will want more money then Goose. Only about 4 or 5 teams have a 3rd line center(Goose) making over 2 million. Every player on Buffalo that has played more then 3 years and scores 10 goals will now want 2.5 million.

coffey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:48 AM
SuitedAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffey7 View Post
Stafford will want more money then Goose. Only about 4 or 5 teams have a 3rd line center(Goose) making over 2 million. Every player on Buffalo that has played more then 3 years and scores 10 goals will now want 2.5 million.
Yeah I agree that's a problem.
Maybe they gave him more money than he is as a player because he is Quinn's "face of the organization".

Old
08-14-2009, 07:41 AM
aceface33

How many times does this point need to be made. Goose is on his 4th contract. Stafford is looking for his second. They are not comparable at all.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:25 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
How many times does this point need to be made. Goose is on his 4th contract. Stafford is looking for his second. They are not comparable at all.
Exactly. Darcy isn't going to leave money on the table for Stafford out of the kindness of his heart. Stafford takes what Darcy gives him, or he sits. That's all there is to it.

Some of these discussions almost make me believe in reincarnation.

EDIT: And it appears to be reincarnation after all.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:50 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Exactly. Darcy isn't going to leave money on the table for Stafford out of the kindness of his heart. Stafford takes what Darcy gives him, or he sits. That's all there is to it.

Some of these discussions almost make me believe in reincarnation.

EDIT: And it appears to be reincarnation after all.
And another point that should be made--history shows Darcy is willing to let him sit.

If he wouldn't give in to Mike Peca, the team's captain and 2nd best player, he's certainly not going to do it for Drew Stafford who is nowhere near as important. There's no point in calling a bluff from Regier--he's already shown he's willing to play his cards out. Regier still believes in the second contract, and unless Stafford can get someone to offer sheet him (which at this point in the game seems more and more unlikely), he's going to have to take what Regier is giving him or sit out. When they realize those are his options, they will sign, because Stafford has absolutely nothing to gain from holding out.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:32 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedAces* View Post
Nah Giere won't effect Stafford's deal.
Grier's deal is irrelevant to the Stafford situation.

Did you actually think I was refering to the Grier deal when I referenced the market? If so, You are even more lost on this issue than I thought.

Btw are you still clinging to the idea that Stafford had arb rights this year? Or have you finally realized and accepted the fact that he doesn't.

Last edited by joshjull: 08-14-2009 at 02:10 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:37 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffey7 View Post

Its been explained several times before.

Goose and his current contract have ZERO bearing on Stafford and his situation.

Stafford's situation as a RFA without arb rights is similar to the situation Sekera found himself in this offseason. Thats why Sekera will be making only 750k this coming season which is half of what Montador signed for (1.55mil). No one would argue that Montador is better than Sekera.

When Sekera and Stafford start having UFA years eaten up in contracts (provided they reach their potential). Their pay will easily surpass that of Montador and Goose.

Last edited by joshjull: 08-14-2009 at 02:02 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote