HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cage to half visor. Bad idea?

Old
08-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Jagger Bomb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
I used one of those itech hybrids and fogged that thing up big time. The visor I haven't had any issues with fogging yet.
Full visor or half visor?

Jagger Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:22 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger Bomb View Post
Full visor or half visor?
It's almost a 3/4, it's the one that Heatley uses or it's like it.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Ryan52

id go for it
i cant freaking wait until i can go to a visor from cage. god damn i hate those things

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:59 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Try the Concept II Delux. Visor with the plastic cage on the bottom, never had a problem with fogging but it did tend to get hot under there. I'm using an Oakley visor right now but when I was wearing the Concept II there were a few times where if it wasn't there I would have lost some blood. Slammed into a guy who was wearing a cage head on in pickup a few weeks ago so now my visor has 2 lines down the left side of it. Nice investment, thanks rusty cage guy.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 03:59 AM
Ragss

I play with a visor and no mouth guard. Just rec league/beer league stuff, but I'm still aware of how stupidly risky it is. My mom will kill me if I ever lose a tooth.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 06:33 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

I can't play with something covering my face. A cage messes with my peripheral and just plain irritates me, while a combo or full face shield makes me feel like I'm suffocating.

So I go visor and mouthgard.

I've been hit in the visor, but never taken a shot to the face, touch wood. Nor do I think about it.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 06:36 AM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
I play with a visor and no mouth guard. Just rec league/beer league stuff, but I'm still aware of how stupidly risky it is. My mom will kill me if I ever lose a tooth.
I got kicked in the face with a skate and lost a piece of my front tooth, invest in a mouth guard man. I got lucky and dodged a root canal. My teammate not so lucky a freak accident happened and two guys collided and when that happened one guy swung his stick and hit my buddy in the face and he had to get like 3 fillings and 2 root canals.

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Danrik
It is what it is.

vCash: 50
If I do go to just a half visor, I will absolutely be wearing a mouth guard.

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 10:06 AM
blueberrydanish

People should be wearing mouthguards full face or not, its called a concussion =\

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

I played AAA in minor Hockey my whole life and obviously in minor Hockey you wear a full cage. By the time most of my team turned 16 or 17 we had made some short of Junior A or B team in the area and all switched to visors. Obviously i see all of them as much as I did when we played on the same team together but still see everyone from time to time and those who played on the same Junior team, we are pretty tight but if i were to give an honest guess i would say about 14 guys out of a 17 player team have either lost teeth or needed more than 4 or 5 zips throughtout the 3 or 4 years in the league

As for myself. First year i played i did not play that much as a 16 year old but still managed to get stiches once that year. My second year i lost 1 tooth and probably got stiches once, third year i lost another tooth and cut another time or 2

So when switching over there is definete risk and over time no matter what level you play you will take a stick/puck in the face.

Unfortunatly for me and several other guys on my team mommy's were mad all the orthadonist work went for nothing lol

But on a serious note the chick absolutly love it

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
I'm thinking of trading in my full face shield for a half visor. I am struggling to see the puck at times with the cage and think the visor will help.

Now, I am not in the NHL and get up in the morning and go to work. I am a little leery of losing some teeth or worse. Can anyone who's made this transition offer some insight? Good or bad.
I've already lost 6 front teeth playing hockey on 3 seperate incidents ... you need a full face shield if you do not want to lose teeth. I was wearing a mouthguard everytime I lost teeth, slapshots riding up a dMan's stick shaft while you are in front really has no way of protecting yourself unless you have a cage or clear face coverage.

That is the plain truth and do not kid yourself about "maybe" getting by with a half shield or visor.

The half shield is eye protection from pucks and sticks even though a stick blade can still go up under the shield and cause an eye injury.

Hockey is not a safe sport period and it is to be played knowing that at some point someday you WILL get an injury of some kind whather it is a muscle, ligament or teeth knocked out.

My advice would be to get a full face shield period clear or cage. I took a slapshot one day and it took an angle off the crossbar and a guy was standing on the goal line in the corner (not sure why anyone would be that stupid in warmups) and got it flush right in the face and the cage left him feeling nothing.

Had he had a half shield his jaw would have been broken or a few teeth would be gone mouthguard or not.

So there you have it ... the truth.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Like Hockeyfan68 said a mouthguard won't protect your teeth. That's not what it's made for. I have to wear a cage in my games but during the summer I don't wear anything, just the helmet, and just this summer, I got stitches on the eyebrow from a highstick stitches just under the eye from a shot and a chipped tooth from another high stick. If you're not afraid to get hurt then wear a visor. If you don't want stitches or missing/chipped teeth stick to the cage.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 09:36 PM
deanosaur

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/itech-ho...ll-shield.html

ps. The cage never at all bothered me, but I still prefer the visor. But I just got ask does the cage really bother will peoples vision that badly sometimes?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 10:35 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I've worn a visor for about a year, and other than a few cuts from high sticks and one puck to the chin (it wasn't that hard of a shot), I have never had too many problems.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Jagger Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post

ps. The cage never at all bothered me, but I still prefer the visor. But I just got ask does the cage really bother will peoples vision that badly sometimes?
It never bothered me before I made the switch to a half visor. Once i switched to the half visor and attempted to switch back to the cage for a couple of rec league games in college I couldn't stand it... I did find the silverish-grey cages by Bauer to be a lot better for visibility than the black or white cages. Chrome Itech wasn't that bad either actually...

Old
08-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Jagger Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190Octane View Post
It's almost a 3/4, it's the one that Heatley uses or it's like it.
hmmm.. how's that? That must have taken some time to get used to...

Old
08-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Eulogy923

Just free face it. It will toughen you up by the 3rd season.
You will get your face messed up. I could tell stories, however it is not that big of a deal.

Eulogy923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 03:43 AM
RobertKron

I ditched the cage and went to a half-visor as soon as I was allowed to, which was several years back. This past season I had 3 sticks come up under my visor in three weeks, which I decided was just tempting fate too much, so I switched back to a cage. I absolutely hated it at first. The stupid thing drove me nuts, was distracting, felt heavy, made it annoying to wipe my face on the bench, etc.

Finally, when getting dressed for a game, I decided that I'd had enough of the cage, and that I'd switch back to my visor before the next game. First shift out there, I go down and block a shot, it bounces back out to the point man who steps up and one times the puck as it comes to him and hits me square in the cage, directly where my mouth would have been if I'd been wearing a half shield. Instead of picking pieces of my jaw off of the ice, I was chasing the loose puck up ice to try to make something of a 2-on-1 on the transition.

Since then, I've been crosschecked in the face, and kicked in the face in areas that would have been unprotected with the visor. The cage still bugs me sometimes, but I've mostly gotten used to it, and really, I have to go to work the next day, so I'm pretty glad I kept it on.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 03:46 AM
spjon25

OKay, I was in the same predicament, and actually played 2 games without a visor. First game, had the best game ever. Great vision, loved the feel of the "wind" blowing on my face as I was skating etc.

Second game, about 4 minutes in on a team that was short players, I dropped down to block a shot and took a wrist shot off the side of my nose right under my right eye. I was lucky that it just cracked the bone and no damage to my vision happened. Ever since then...full cage

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

I used a full wire cage years ago for a few games and hated it, I felt like I wasn't seeing the ice but some guys love them.

I felt like I was in a cage and did not like it.

I tried a full clear face shield around 1989 or so and did not like that either, had fogging issues and loss of ice vision I felt on the peripheral. hated losing the puck down by my feet which was a huge problem for me.

I then tried a half shield around 1991 maybe and hated that, of course the technology then was terrible and you could see 2 halves of a puck if you were looking at the puck right where the cut in the visor was. terrible stuff.

Now I bought the Bauer (formelerly Itech) HS22 Prowave straightcut visor and I love it. I finally feel like i am not wearing a visor when wearing it. The optic system used is perfect.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:33 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I used a full wire cage years ago for a few games and hated it, I felt like I wasn't seeing the ice but some guys love them.

I felt like I was in a cage and did not like it.

I tried a full clear face shield around 1989 or so and did not like that either, had fogging issues and loss of ice vision I felt on the peripheral. hated losing the puck down by my feet which was a huge problem for me.

I then tried a half shield around 1991 maybe and hated that, of course the technology then was terrible and you could see 2 halves of a puck if you were looking at the puck right where the cut in the visor was. terrible stuff.

Now I bought the Bauer (formelerly Itech) HS22 Prowave straightcut visor and I love it. I finally feel like i am not wearing a visor when wearing it. The optic system used is perfect.
Hey I got the HS22 Pro Wave Half Cut. Very good choice.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:27 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
When I first switched over to a cage, it really bugged me. I'd find that all of a sudden my eyes would "catch" on the cage and focus in on the bars instead of the play, and that there was nothing I could do to stop it from happening. I'd focus back out within a second, but it was still a huge distraction and quite disorienting. Within a couple skates, that problem had gone away, as my eyes had adapted to it.

The only thing that bugs me now is that I can't just reach up and wipe my face. I sweat a lot, so this kind of sucks, but it's not a big deal.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:50 PM
190Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger Bomb View Post
hmmm.. how's that? That must have taken some time to get used to...
Considering I wore full face protection my whole life it hasnt been that bad.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 02:02 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
There is no proven evidence that mouthguards prevent concussions.
Concussions and the mouth guard myth
"No study that mouth guards prevent concussions has been done," said Dr. Cantu. "But they do prevent injuries to the teeth so I would recommend all collision-sports players wear mouth guards."

There is no proven evidence that mouthguards dont prevent concussions.

I wore a visor till i finished Juniors (obviously) then took it off and have not used a visor/cage for 10ish years now. I always had two helmets growing up, one that had a cage (then a visor once i played junior) and one with nothing. The first helmet i wore for games/practice only. The second i used shinny, pond whatever. Since i was really young i never liked cage/visors. I just felt more comfortable without.

Now i have had 3 teeth knocked out, numerous facial lacerations and black eyes, broken nose. I have never really cared. I have always thought it was part of the game. Growing up i remember players like Marsh who didnt even wear a helmet. I would have done that if i could have. I see absolutly no problem with people not wearing a cage/visor if you feel comfortable enough. I personally love the game more then i hate pain.

I just hate when cage/visor wearers start calling us idiots and just are complete ***** because we chose to not wear them. (Not saying anyone in this thread is doing that). If you want to wear a cage/visor and feel more comfortable playing, thats cool go for it. But dont say stuff like "there is no reason to not wear a visor/cage". I have to work like everybody else, whatever, dont see the big deal. You lose a tooth, you shouldnt be taking time off. You need stitches, why would you be taking time off. You should be more worried about breaking a leg/arm/neck/back. Unless your in sales then maybe a cage is not that bad of an idea

I have played with guys who wear no visor/cage and have never even gotten a scratch in 20+ years. I have played with guys who wear no visor/cage and have no front teeth and are all scarred up. I have played with guys who wear a visor and never gotten a scratch. I have played with guys who wear a visor and have no front teeth and are all scarred up. I have played with guys that wear a cage and never learned to control there stick because they are "protected" so everyone else should be (biggest piss off imo about some cage wearers). I have played guys that wear a cage that have been cut on their neck by skates/sticks. Its a violent game, plain and simple.

On that note, i have never worn a mouthguard either. Its not going to protect your teeth when a puck or stick is rammed up in there. And it has neither been proven or disproven to protect you from concussions, so i have always seen them as pointly.

There is no need to judge someone by what they are wearing not wearing. You dont need to call someone an idiot because they chose to not wear a visor/cage and you dont need to call someone a because they are wearing one. (unless they actually are idiots or )

Rant over

Last edited by CanadaBacon: 08-25-2009 at 02:07 AM.
CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 10:33 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Well, a teammate of mine just got a concussion recently when he hit his chin on the ice with no mouthguard, And I've hit the ice in similar ways with a mouthguard with no effect whatsoever, so take from it what you will.

Absence of proof is not proof of absence. It often just means they haven't come up with a way to do the study well yet. In this case, doing a formal study would involve giving people concussions, which is something rather illegal to do while doing a study.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote