HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Theo Fleury attempting comeback

Old
08-08-2009, 09:51 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Clearly, there are some here who disavow the basic concept of redemption (of others). Pity them.

Personally, hope his life is together and he can return. It would be a good story.
Agreed. It certainly will be an uphill battle for him to be able to legitimately crack an NHL roster, but, that was also the case when he first broke into the league.

If he can do it, more power to him. One of the reasons why I am a sports fan is that I like these underdog stories. That's what made me a fan of his in the first place.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Lunatik*

I think it's time I give my 2 cents on this subject...

Theo is by far my favorite Flame of all-time and IMO the best player in the history of the franchise. I think had he been able to control himself towards the end of his career that he would have been a lock for the hockey hall of fame.

Do the Flames owe Fleury anything?... No they really don't, nor does he owe them anything. However I do think the Flames owe us their fans, I think they need to do some things just because the fans want to see it happen. I'm not saying hand him a contract; I am saying sign him to a tryout contract, see what he still has. What's the worst that can happen? A few sold out pre-season games to see Theo one last time? Hell I know I would pay to see that, I think the folks in Saskatoon (including our own FON) would flock to the arena to see it too. Worst case this is a great marketing opportunity and a good way for Theo to end his career on a positive note.

Fleury is a Flame through and through, he was the heart and soul of this franchise for many years and he was loved and idolized by the maority of the fan base, this is a good opportunity for the Flames to thank their fans for their dedication and endless support and they can give him a chance without signing him to an NHL contract. Should Theo show he can still skate, win faceoffs and play with the grit and desire that made us all love him during training camp and the pre-season, I think he absolutely has a place on this team. Chances are that if he can that role will be that of a 4th line center or right wing and perhaps push a tweener like Prust off the roster. He could be a good influence on a kid like Boyd if he ends up on the 4th line with him as well, plus it would give us one more cup ring on our roster.

I also have to wonder with the problems Theo had near the end of his career what is worse, playing in the condition he was with what was clearly a shattered mental state of mind, or being old but clean, sober with your head in the right place? Chelios is proof dinosaurs can still play to the NHL level, a tryout will be nothing but good for him and our franchise.

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:31 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

At least he makes for some decent on ice entertainment. Maybe he can be brought on as a mascot...wait they're supposed to be positive influences and not scare the kids.

Sorry Theo, stick in the beer league.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
YOU and Theo must be on more drugs then ever if you think that he will make it back in the NHL. I don't think people are hidding behind their computers here, it is just the truth.
I'm not saying he is a lock to make it back to the NHL? It's completely fair game to criticize his hockey skill, him as a hockey player on-the-ice, people on here debate that all day, every day. Not saying that's out of line whatsoever...

What is out of line is the people criticizing someone who is recovering from addiction. He's made a valid attempt to clean up his life, the "Darryl Strawberry" and "relapse" jokes are gutless yet people continue with them not only on this thread but the other Fleury threads that have popped up.

This is what I am saying about hiding behind computers, people who slam a guy for making an honest attempt because of his past demons, you wouldn't see these people doing it to someone's face in real life, but here with the anonymity of the message board it appears to be fair game, and that's uncalled for.

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Jaffray15

Send a message via AIM to Jaffray15 Send a message via MSN to Jaffray15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz View Post
I'm not saying he is a lock to make it back to the NHL? It's completely fair game to criticize his hockey skill, him as a hockey player on-the-ice, people on here debate that all day, every day. Not saying that's out of line whatsoever...

What is out of line is the people criticizing someone who is recovering from addiction. He's made a valid attempt to clean up his life, the "Darryl Strawberry" and "relapse" jokes are gutless yet people continue with them not only on this thread but the other Fleury threads that have popped up.

This is what I am saying about hiding behind computers, people who slam a guy for making an honest attempt because of his past demons, you wouldn't see these people doing it to someone's face in real life, but here with the anonymity of the message board it appears to be fair game, and that's uncalled for.
I 100% agree with this. Theo deserves another chance and even if he does or doesnt make the NHL again, at least he can say he tried because he was an awesome player back in the day and most of us would love to see a sober Theoren Fleury in a NHL jersey again.

Jaffray15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 06:03 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
Details of his pretty ugly financial situation.

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/8/8/...e-truth-behind
proof that chelios will play until he's 50.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
Details of his pretty ugly financial situation.

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/8/8/...e-truth-behind
Guess a pinch-hit single and striking out twice wasn't enough for the Vipers to buy uniforms from Theo's FAKE clothing line.

Fleury personally handled the bank transactions to help found the Calgary Hitmen in 1995 before they were eventually sold to the Flames for $1.5 M two years later. So, he is not completely inexperienced in finances.

Tao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Boomstick

I'd welcome Theo back to Calgary.
I could wear my jersey again.

Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Everest

Apart from an extremley under-whelming Allan Cup performance I'm unsure what more could happen to Theo that would prove to HIM (once and for all) that he is no longer anywhere near an NHL calibre player.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:51 AM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
He'd fit perfectly with Montreal.

Won't work, He's too tall.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Everest

QUOTE=brevard;20709814]Won't work, He's too tall.[/QUOTE]

Its exact.

Theo will NOT 'work'. In the TSN article he claims to have been: '...working out diligently..' and '...hired a personal trainer in February...'.

I MUSt call the bluff on this. I saw him in April (at the Allan Cup) and he was nowhere close to 'competing condition'.

Not in shape...at all.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Wyrm

The Flames may be desperate to get some offense, so they'll go for Theo even if he's out of shape.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:50 PM
DarKarTs

Send a message via AIM to DarKarTs Send a message via MSN to DarKarTs Send a message via Skype™ to DarKarTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
Won't work, He's too tall.
i lol'ed

DarKarTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
jared37

Quote:
Theo will NOT 'work'. In the TSN article he claims to have been: '...working out diligently..' and '...hired a personal trainer in February...'.

I MUSt call the bluff on this. I saw him in April (at the Allan Cup) and he was nowhere close to 'competing condition'.

Not in shape...at all.
agreed, i watched most of the allan cup games and fleury was being badly outskated by just about every player there, now how slow will he look in the nhl?

also i dont get a a 5'6 guy who has lost his speed gonna compete in the nhl?

jared37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 07:40 PM
BARLOUTE

agreed, i watched most of the allan cup games and fleury was being badly outskated by just about every player there, now how slow will he look in the nhl?

Not that I am comparing the nhl to the allan cup , but one thing that fleury did is GP: 9, Goals: 6, Assists: 14, Points: 20, PIMS: 16

To me it all depend how in shape fleury was, was he 100% or 80% of is shape maybe just 50% of is shape, who knows, but if he did not do much exercise before playing those 9 game last years , well he still has it.

everyone whe plays hockey and play with about 50% of their shape knows how are is to play competitive hockey, and its even harder for a small player like fleury to play without 100% shape.

I know he is far from being the player he was but lets give him credit for trying.

BARLOUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared37 View Post

also i dont get a a 5'6 guy who has lost his speed gonna compete in the nhl?
so if Fleury started getting into shape in February and teh Allen Cup was in April... how good of shape do you honestly think he was in at that point in time?... I think that was the first time he had played since playing in England... have either you or the guy you quoted considered for a minute in teh 4 months since the Allen Cup that his conditioning has improved?... Brian McGrattan was quoted in one of today's Calgary newspapers as saying Fleury is skating fast and he looks determined... i also find it interesting that a guy that couldn't keep up and one that was badly outplayed as Everest has been claiming on the Flames board finished tied for the tourney lead in scoring... for an out of shape, slow guy being outplayed by everyone that is actually pretty impressive if you ask me

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Luap23

Good on Fleury for trying to comeback. It would be great for him to finish his career on his own terms instead of ending it with an indefinite suspension.
And it's funny that so many people feel he can't make it back. I'm pretty sure that's what he was told before he had ever played in the NHL and I would say his stats speak for themselves.
Either way, he has nothing to lose here and I'm sure there will be a team willing to give him a shot if the suspension is lifted.

Luap23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Chardo

Please come back. "Crack-Head Thee-O" was one of the best chants at Islanders vs. Rangers games.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
In 11.5% we trust

vCash: 499
Quote:
CGY Sun columnist Eric Francis just told me on the show that Theo Fleury recently tried to sell him an RRSP package. Says he's directionless.
http://twitter.com/dantencer

Ouch.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote