HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Kristo article on NHL.COM

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2009, 03:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyEndaz View Post
First of all, I meant solid and established roster players that we still have with the Habs. Second of all, I'm not even sure Ribeiro, Komisarek and Ryder were drafted by Timmins. Third of all, Higgins, Plekanec, A Kost, SKost and Latendresse still didn't proove themselves as established and solid players. By that, I don't mean roster players, I mean players that could be qualified as "steals" and be productive top 6 forwards talent or top 4 d-men. Sure, Price, AKost, Plekanec all have good roles on the team, but none of them really proved they can be consistent.

What I'm trying to get at is that after every draft, we overhype Timmins' pick; people kept saying McDonagh was a "home-run" at the 12th rank overall, now people are saying Kristo was such a "steal", etc. Well I'm sorry, but none of the "genius" moves brought us a steady top 6 talent we can currently rely on on our team. The few players that had skills ended up developing attitude problems in Montreal and we lost them for nothing.
Surely you can take a little scarcasm, I know Ribs/Ryder/Komi/Pleks/Higigns were not drafted by Timmins. Since the '03, we have gotten a number of draft picks to the NHL, and that's a lot better then most of our drafting throughout the '90s. A.Kostitsyn has been among our top goal scorers since making the club full time, he's not a steal since he was picked 10th overall, but to me he's shown he can score and is a top 6 player for sure. Price had trouble with injuries, but he's a starter, not a steal since he was picked at 5th overall but when he's healthy he should be a very good goalie. At 21, he's way ahead of what you would normally expect a goalie prospect to be at experience wise and down the road this could be huge for him and the Habs.

As for over hyping, welcome to HF, every teams fans are going to overrate their prospects after the draft. Timmins has been good, he's made mistakes that are glarring but he's also picked a large number of interesting prospects that are helping the club both on and off the ice (Grabovski, McDonagh, Valentenko got us Lang and Gomez)

Old
08-14-2009, 04:12 PM
jake1

Regarding Kristo's role at UND, they'll juggle the lines around quite a bit before Christmas, so he'll play with a number of guys in a number of roles. Down the stretch they'll settle into two scoring lines, a third checking type line and a fourth line of younger or less skilled guys. By then he'll be firmly established on one of the top lines. They'll be good and they are deep with good, not great, players, so he will end up having the highest ceiling of anyone on the team.

The program has a history of playing freshmen in important roles right away. Obviously some of these are top guys, but Bayda, Parise, Toews, Oshie and more recently Gregoire and Hextall were all on top lines their first years.

He'll be on the PK, as you can't beat that kind of speed there, and I predict a few SHGs for him.

5 of the 6 PP forwards from last year are back, so he might be competing with Toews II and Cichy for a spot there. Cichy's a pretty good goal scorer, and Kristo's speed is less of a factor on the PP, so that'll be interesting to watch. They might move a forward back to the point on the PP, so that could open up another spot.

Old
08-14-2009, 04:47 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
2014 Top line?

Pacioretty - LeBlanc - Kristo
Latendresse - Maxwell - Kostitsyn
Could Avtsin-Naatinen-Quailer be realistic too?

Old
08-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Great article for Kristo. Freakin Rangers though are building an incredible centermen line with Anisimov, Grachev and Stepan, who....should I say, I wanted in 08. But can't criticize Timmins.....we didn't have a pick before he was picked just 5 picks ahead of.... Kristo.

Old
08-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1 View Post
Regarding Kristo's role at UND, they'll juggle the lines around quite a bit before Christmas, so he'll play with a number of guys in a number of roles. Down the stretch they'll settle into two scoring lines, a third checking type line and a fourth line of younger or less skilled guys. By then he'll be firmly established on one of the top lines. They'll be good and they are deep with good, not great, players, so he will end up having the highest ceiling of anyone on the team.

The program has a history of playing freshmen in important roles right away. Obviously some of these are top guys, but Bayda, Parise, Toews, Oshie and more recently Gregoire and Hextall were all on top lines their first years.

He'll be on the PK, as you can't beat that kind of speed there, and I predict a few SHGs for him.

5 of the 6 PP forwards from last year are back, so he might be competing with Toews II and Cichy for a spot there. Cichy's a pretty good goal scorer, and Kristo's speed is less of a factor on the PP, so that'll be interesting to watch. They might move a forward back to the point on the PP, so that could open up another spot.
Thanks a lot. How do you see this being played on? You seem to have seen games and know the team but if we go mainly by stats, can we state the following:

Players coming back (if no surprises)

CENTERMEN (Cichy's position)
Vandevelde (can we trade for this guy please....)
Malone
Zajac

LEFT W
Grégoire
Trupp
Lamoureux
Davidson

RIGHT W (Kristo's position)
Hextall
Frattin
Toews

Seems to me that there's more room for Cichy to play in a top 6 role than Kristo as strange as it may sound (and you'll be able to tell me). I am just going by stats, but it's pretty clear that locks for top 6 are Vandevelde, Grégoire, Hextall and Frattin. And my guess would be that Toews also will be. Wasn't Toews a natural center though and was moved? 'Cause he did play his games on the RW last year. Anyway, out of my 5 guys, we do have 3 RW.....Kristo's only spot while Cichy have 7 guys returning out of C and LW (where he can probably play), but out of those guys, to me, statswise, only Vandevelde and Grégoire (maybe Trupp) could beat him to a position. Though there is more than stats and Cichy needs to be better in his own zone, we probably shouldn't be surprised to see him have a space sooner than Kristo.

But cleary based on this, I think that both guys are at the very least locks to be in the lineup every single game. Which is good news 'cause as we know, it doesn't happen to every freshman.

By the way, any confirmed incoming freshman that we know of and could compete with Kristo and Cichy? Is Mattson coming over? How about Knight? Bruneteau (who's more famous for one of Andrew Conboy's best knockout when they were playing in the USHL), but could still compete with Cichy at the center position. How about Matt White? Does Michael Forney goes back this year?

Interesting battles ahead.

Old
08-14-2009, 08:52 PM
sfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thanks a lot. How do you see this being played on? You seem to have seen games and know the team but if we go mainly by stats, can we state the following:

Players coming back (if no surprises)

CENTERMEN (Cichy's position)
Vandevelde (can we trade for this guy please....)
Malone
Zajac

LEFT W
Grégoire
Trupp
Lamoureux
Davidson

RIGHT W (Kristo's position)
Hextall
Frattin
Toews

Seems to me that there's more room for Cichy to play in a top 6 role than Kristo as strange as it may sound (and you'll be able to tell me). I am just going by stats, but it's pretty clear that locks for top 6 are Vandevelde, Grégoire, Hextall and Frattin. And my guess would be that Toews also will be. Wasn't Toews a natural center though and was moved? 'Cause he did play his games on the RW last year. Anyway, out of my 5 guys, we do have 3 RW.....Kristo's only spot while Cichy have 7 guys returning out of C and LW (where he can probably play), but out of those guys, to me, statswise, only Vandevelde and Grégoire (maybe Trupp) could beat him to a position. Though there is more than stats and Cichy needs to be better in his own zone, we probably shouldn't be surprised to see him have a space sooner than Kristo.

But cleary based on this, I think that both guys are at the very least locks to be in the lineup every single game. Which is good news 'cause as we know, it doesn't happen to every freshman.

By the way, any confirmed incoming freshman that we know of and could compete with Kristo and Cichy? Is Mattson coming over? How about Knight? Bruneteau (who's more famous for one of Andrew Conboy's best knockout when they were playing in the USHL), but could still compete with Cichy at the center position. How about Matt White? Does Michael Forney goes back this year?

Interesting battles ahead.
I also know UND well...had season tickets the last 3 years...

Mattson (Nick and Danny) and Knight will come in 2010. Matt White won't come this year. Michael Forney has signed with Atlanta. Bruneteau is coming and Carter Rowney of the AJHL will also be here at forward.

Toews is a center also, and I think he will play at center a bit this year. But can play both. The top guys as you said are Vandevelde, Gregoire, Hextall, Frattin, and I'd probably put Trupp in there if he can not get injured, otherwise Malone will probably be up there in the mix as well. If Cichy and Kristo can prove themselves and play consistent, they might be able to work themselves into top line positions, like Gregoire and Hextall did last year. Cichy and Kristo will be in the lineup every night, and should fit in nicely in whatever roles they do end up having. UND rolls 4 lines consistently and will beat you with depth.

Old
08-14-2009, 08:52 PM
jake1

I'll get back to you on some of the details you asked about, but as far as the roster goes, incoming forwards are Cichy, Kristo, Bruneteau and Carter Rowney, a 21 year old banger from the AJHL. Rowney will play a role on one of the lower lines, and Bruneteau will likely be fighting for a spot in the lineup; neither should challenge Cichy or Kristo for a scoring line spot.

Mattson, White and Parks (scoring for the US team at the Hlinka tourney this week) will be in the USHL. Knight will be in the AJHL. Forney signed with Atlanta and will be in their system.

Edit: sfo beat me to it.

Old
08-14-2009, 08:59 PM
sfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1 View Post
I'll get back to you on some of the details you asked about, but as far as the roster goes, incoming forwards are Cichy, Kristo, Bruneteau and Carter Rowney, a 21 year old banger from the AJHL. Rowney will play a role on one of the lower lines, and Bruneteau will likely be fighting for a spot in the lineup; neither should challenge Cichy or Kristo for a scoring line spot.

Mattson, White and Parks (scoring for the US team at the Hlinka tourney this week) will be in the USHL. Knight will be in the AJHL. Forney signed with Atlanta and will be in their system.

Edit: sfo beat me to it.
sorry to steal your thunder.... i'm overly excited

Old
08-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo View Post
sorry to steal your thunder.... i'm overly excited
Oh...I was just gonna ask you if that was a banana in your pocket. Guess not.

Old
08-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Thanks to sfo and jake1. Pretty nice looking lineup and surely room for both of our guys and maybe as the season passes, room on the top lines. Pretty exciting.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:03 AM
hockeyman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
2014 Top line?

Pacioretty - LeBlanc - Kristo
Latendresse - Maxwell - Kostitsyn
How times have changed...

Old
03-30-2013, 06:25 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Who are the other top end guys Timmins stole again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Weber, Subban, Avtsin, Trunev just to name a few
One out of four, with hindsight

Old
03-30-2013, 07:31 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

o wow

Old
03-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I said top end guys. Subban hasn't even played a game in the NHL yet. Weber has shown potential yes.

Pacioretty I agree with in the future.

But I see no top end guys yet. Maybe the O.P should say potential future top end guys.
Oh boy was he ever wrong.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Oh boy was he ever wrong.
He was right. Nobody projected Subban to be this good.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
He was right. Nobody projected Subban to be this good.
Definitely not fair to judge Jigger's comments when Subban hadn't even played a game yet. Subban was predicted to be strong offensively and weak defensively and he's exceeded expectations across the board.

Closed Thread