HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chelios turned down Rangers offer to play in Hartford but....(#118)

Old
08-14-2009, 04:54 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocdu View Post
Jesus. Some people just dont get it, do they? You want the Rangers to go with youth movement. You want the Rangers to stop signing everyone under the sun. You want the Rangers to stop getting older players on the decline of their career. Then you suggest getting Chelios? Why the HELL would they do that?

I mean, I am not the G.M. by any means. But signing a guy in his fourties because he would be a good mentor for 20-40 games (in an 82 game system no less!) is retarded. If the Rangers can not be taught by their coaches and other players, then the entire staff needs to be fired and the current crop of veterans we have now need to be traded/released/bought out/sent down.

Lets stay the course. Stop signing pieces of a DIFFERENT puzzle. We have a mold. We have a plan. Stick to it. I wont get into who should stay or be traded. That can be argued for eions. But we need to keep the youth movement and allow these kids to develop. I believe the Rangers brass has done a good job not rushing the kids. But we dont need to hire 40+ year olds for a quick stop gap till the kids can handle the big's. Now, signing someone who has a one year contract and who wont kill the budget because you think one of the kids wont make the team? OK I can understand it. I rather see the children play but if you need to sign someone, dont get a guy with gray hair please.

Just my opinion which probably means nothing to the majority of the people here. I am just tired of seeing the same mistakes year after year.

Smart people learn from their mistakes. Idiots never realize they continously made the same mistakes.

Lets be smart for once as an Organization. OK?
Um, okay, because the OTHER options that people are discussing (Bouillon, Schneider, Seidenberg, etc.) are going to be MORE condusive to growing from within? Again, stop treating it like we're suggesting Chelly for $5MM a year to play first pair minutes. This is nothing like the moves of the late nineties - in fact, IMO it would actually be the MOST cap friendly and MOST youth movement friendly FA signing they could add to their backline.

If the alternative is simply going with two kids without signing a UFA, that's fine - sign me up. Unfortunately, consensus is that they will bring on someone else from the FA market, because they're not comfortable with only 4 Dmen with NHL experience. And in that case, I'd rather see Chelly signed for the league minimum to spend well more than half the season in the press box while a second rookie gets icetime as opposed to a complete nonfactor like Bouillon who "merits" consistent 3rd pair icetime, taking 70 games.

Again, to sum up, this comes down to signing a vet who will only play 20-40 games, as opposed to a vet who can (and will) play 70-80.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:07 PM
RonGreschner

How about giving Sauer, Potter, Gilroy, or Baranka a chance before signing him.

RonGreschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGreschner View Post
How about giving Sauer, Potter, Gilroy, or Baranka a chance before signing him.
I wish Baranka was still around, KHL, think they have his rights though. so he could come back at some pt

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:24 PM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
i loved baranka, i thought he had a really good showing that one game he played and he got a big assist if i remember correctly? Hopefully he decides to come back to the NYR organization soon.

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:50 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Excellent idea!

Then we should bring Messier back as well. He probably has about as much as Chelios left in the tank and he could be a great coach on the ice.

Move over Dubinsky/Staal, the Dinosaurs are coming to town!

yes! Mess

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocdu View Post
Jesus. Some people just dont get it, do they? You want the Rangers to go with youth movement. You want the Rangers to stop signing everyone under the sun. You want the Rangers to stop getting older players on the decline of their career. Then you suggest getting Chelios? Why the HELL would they do that?

I mean, I am not the G.M. by any means. But signing a guy in his fourties because he would be a good mentor for 20-40 games (in an 82 game system no less!) is retarded. If the Rangers can not be taught by their coaches and other players, then the entire staff needs to be fired and the current crop of veterans we have now need to be traded/released/bought out/sent down.

Lets stay the course. Stop signing pieces of a DIFFERENT puzzle. We have a mold. We have a plan. Stick to it. I wont get into who should stay or be traded. That can be argued for eions. But we need to keep the youth movement and allow these kids to develop. I believe the Rangers brass has done a good job not rushing the kids. But we dont need to hire 40+ year olds for a quick stop gap till the kids can handle the big's. Now, signing someone who has a one year contract and who wont kill the budget because you think one of the kids wont make the team? OK I can understand it. I rather see the children play but if you need to sign someone, dont get a guy with gray hair please.

Just my opinion which probably means nothing to the majority of the people here. I am just tired of seeing the same mistakes year after year.

Smart people learn from their mistakes. Idiots never realize they continously made the same mistakes.

Lets be smart for once as an Organization. OK?
I pretty much agree with you--except where you say Sather and Co. have a plan.

In any case, if this organization were truly in a rebuilding mode, I could see the idea of bringing in a grizzled veteran to mentor the kids through the inevitable losing streaks. But, this not what the organization is trying to do. The goal is to make the playoffs (and then to get through several rounds) and I really don't see how Chelios furthers that goal.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Um, okay, because the OTHER options that people are discussing (Bouillon, Schneider, Seidenberg, etc.) are going to be MORE condusive to growing from within? Again, stop treating it like we're suggesting Chelly for $5MM a year to play first pair minutes. This is nothing like the moves of the late nineties - in fact, IMO it would actually be the MOST cap friendly and MOST youth movement friendly FA signing they could add to their backline.

If the alternative is simply going with two kids without signing a UFA, that's fine - sign me up. Unfortunately, consensus is that they will bring on someone else from the FA market, because they're not comfortable with only 4 Dmen with NHL experience. And in that case, I'd rather see Chelly signed for the league minimum to spend well more than half the season in the press box while a second rookie gets icetime as opposed to a complete nonfactor like Bouillon who "merits" consistent 3rd pair icetime, taking 70 games.

Again, to sum up, this comes down to signing a vet who will only play 20-40 games, as opposed to a vet who can (and will) play 70-80.
For better or worse, I suspect that if the organzation wants to sign another veteran presence on the blueline, it will not be with the intent to mentor the prospects, it will be because they don't trust the prospects to give them a chance to get into the playoffs. If they are really looking to see if several of the defensive prospects can grab a spot, they will wait and let them play. There is always the opportunity to bring in a veteran as the season goes along or at the deadline.

Old
08-14-2009, 06:00 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
the whole coach on the ice thing is overrated, especially if you've got capable coaches off the ice. Give me a guy that can actually play and bring something to the table in Bouillon, not a washed up Chelios that should've retired years ago.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Excellent idea!

Then we should bring Messier back as well. He probably has about as much as Chelios left in the tank and he could be a great coach on the ice.

Better bring Graves back too, Messier needs his protector.

Old
08-14-2009, 06:02 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I wish Baranka was still around, KHL, think they have his rights though. so he could come back at some pt
yeah they still have Baranka's rights. Immonen's too.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

if ever there was a player built to play Torts' high octane system...its a 92 year old Chris Chelios.......

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:11 PM
marko82pei

Are you serious? Chelios?

Signing Chelios would be the stupidest thing to do and a huge waste of money, on a player that is sooooo old slow, that wouldn't have a chance to play in Tort's style of play. I don't want Boulioun either, another waste of space. Let Sanguinetti or Sauer come up and play and of course Gilroy, with that contract he will be on the roster, hell, even McDonagh. We have a surplus of defensemen in the organization, protome within, for cheaper and long term success. Too many times has Sather gone out and got some older bum of a defencemen, and it hasn't worked out yet. And didn't Glen say that he wants to have a younger team, well stick to your word Glen and do use all a favor and some stress with another, older dman, we got two as is, and thats too many.

marko82pei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:27 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Bouillon over Chelios, at least at that point, he can play 70+ games.

Chelios would be best as a defensive coach, not a 6th or 7th defenseman.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:35 PM
gravytrain6t

I'd rather sign Dubinsky and at the same time I'd love to see how many other teams are willing to sign Chelios so he can reach his goal of playing until 50. If some other team (which i doubt) steps up I'm sure he's always wanted to play for them as much as the Rangers.

The Rangers need to get rid of the reputation of bringing in certain players because of the names on the back of their jersey's.

Maybe set some sort of precedent.

This to me is too funny. Sad at the same time. Out of the top 10 All time scoring leaders in goals and assists, we have had 5 of them. Out of the top 25, we've had 9. Out of those 9, Messier was the only player to help bring a Stanley Cup to NY after 54 years.

Not that i think the others wouldn't have. But they were simply put. Too old.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:41 PM
GarretJoseph*

Hahaha. No Freaking Way.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I'd rather sign Dubinsky and at the same time I'd love to see how many other teams are willing to sign Chelios so he can reach his goal of playing until 50. If some other team (which i doubt) steps up I'm sure he's always wanted to play for them as much as the Rangers.

The Rangers need to get rid of the reputation of bringing in certain players because of the names on the back of their jersey's.

Maybe set some sort of precedent.

This to me is too funny. Sad at the same time. Out of the top 10 All time scoring leaders in goals and assists, we have had 5 of them. Out of the top 25, we've had 9. Out of those 9, Messier was the only player to help bring a Stanley Cup to NY after 54 years.

Not that i think the others wouldn't have. But they were simply put. Too old.
Yes, sir. We've done a great job of contributing to the "former star player" pension plan.

Let's stop paying players for their achievements elsewhere and start thinking about who can help this team in the future.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:53 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Yes, sir. We've done a great job of contributing to the "former star player" pension plan.

Let's stop paying players for their achievements elsewhere and start thinking about who can help this team in the future.
A tad over due I must say lol

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:46 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
It's Francis by the way.
You're next on the list, Winger.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
while I agree that the team probably shouldn't sign Chelios, there's a few points I want to make.

- this whole Torts system crap is sooo overated. how fast was 41 year old Dave Andreychuk when he was playing 19 minutes for Torts' championship team?

- I know you all think leadership is a mirage, but Ken Holland (3 cups) thought a 46 year old Chelios was worth having around, just like Lou Lamoriello thought that Brendan Shanahan was worth signing at 39 and then again at 40.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:24 PM
NYR2007

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko82pei View Post
Signing Chelios would be the stupidest thing to do and a huge waste of money, on a player that is sooooo old slow, that wouldn't have a chance to play in Tort's style of play. I don't want Boulioun either, another waste of space. Let Sanguinetti or Sauer come up and play and of course Gilroy, with that contract he will be on the roster, hell, even McDonagh. We have a surplus of defensemen in the organization, protome within, for cheaper and long term success. Too many times has Sather gone out and got some older bum of a defencemen, and it hasn't worked out yet. And didn't Glen say that he wants to have a younger team, well stick to your word Glen and do use all a favor and some stress with another, older dman, we got two as is, and thats too many.
This statement is so over used this off season, it should be an instant ban.

NYR2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:29 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Excellent idea!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Here's all you need to know about Chelios: he tried out for the 1980 Miracle on Ice Olympic team as an 18 year old! No, no, no, no, no!

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
while I agree that the team probably shouldn't sign Chelios, there's a few points I want to make.

- this whole Torts system crap is sooo overated. how fast was 41 year old Dave Andreychuk when he was playing 19 minutes for Torts' championship team?

- I know you all think leadership is a mirage, but Ken Holland (3 cups) thought a 46 year old Chelios was worth having around, just like Lou Lamoriello thought that Brendan Shanahan was worth signing at 39 and then again at 40.
Great points. I don't think people understand how much Chelios could help with Staal/Girardi/MDZ/Sangs/McD's development. For 475k as a 7th dman and mentor, I welcome Chelios with open arms.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Here's all you need to know about Chelios: he tried out for the 1980 Miracle on Ice Olympic team as an 18 year old! No, no, no, no, no!
Oh what a jerk trying out for the Olympics! How dare he!

Chelios has forgotten more about hockey then are whole Defense knows combined.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Vitto79

the difference between Chelliie and Bou is that Bouillon can still contribute with his aggresive play and he can nail down a 5 or 6 spot. It does'nt block a kid cause if lets say Sauer is ready then he will play and Bou will be the 7th

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote