HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Eagles preseason and 'wait...they signed HIM?'

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2009, 09:11 PM
CoolinWithCosta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post
Gone too far with the Pronger thing, you completely went off the deep end by comparing legal actions to highly illegal actions. Vick being on the team can outweigh anyone's loyalty to that team because as you stated earlier that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. The Eagles have more responsibilities to their fans than just winning at any cost, but bringing in Vick doesn't necessarily violate any responsibility either so I'll give you that. As for him bringing a whole new dimension to the offense, he hasn't played in quite awhile so I wouldn't get ahead of myself.
In my defense, what Pronger did in the past was illegal..in a sense..since he was suspended from the league for doing so. But I do admit that it's way different.

My uncle just forwarded me this e-mail he got from the Eagles today:

Quote:
As you are aware, the Eagles confirmed last evening that we have signed Michael Vick to the team. You are our most valued customers and we understand that this decision may result in some personal soul searching for you, along with some public debate in the coming days and weeks. We do not want this to distract from the relationship we have with you, and we remain fully committed to putting the highest quality product on the field and delivering wins to Eagles fans.

We have seen a tremendous outpouring of support from fans, but we also acknowledge there are some people who will struggle with our decision to give Vick a second chance. I am attaching here a statement that Joe Banner our President, wanted to share specifically with you. Please connect with us directly with any questions or concerns you may have and we will help however we can.

"We appreciate that this a complicated and personal issue for many fans and Eagles partners and premium clients. It was complicated for us as well, and we sought the counsel of several quality character individuals when making this decision. Tony Dungy, Roger Goodell and the head of the National Humane Society have invested considerable time with Michael Vick and feel confident that we have made the right decision to give him a second chance.

“The ultimate decision upon us was this — if a person made a terrible mistake and then paid their debts to society, was deeply remorseful and turned their life around completely, and not only lives a life or virtue themselves but is investing time to make sure others don’t make the same mistakes, would you be willing to help this human being move forward? Would you give them a second chance?

“We appreciate the complexity of this creates for some partners and premium clients and ask that you join us in our support and optimism for Michael as he commits himself to showing Philadelphia and the country he is a changed human being.

“I encourage you to visit philadelphiaeagles.com when you have a moment to watch the replay of the press conference which is happening today at 11 a.m. You will see the Michael we have come to know — someone who is remorseful and committed to showing everyone he has learned from his mistakes and that he is a changed person.”

Old
08-14-2009, 10:46 PM
BPR*

O/T Michael Vick

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on him signing with the Eagles?

Old
08-14-2009, 10:50 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

I think he's a good addition if used in the wildcat only

Old
08-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

He needs second chance

BRB Conan

Old
08-14-2009, 10:51 PM
uvegotafrendinpa

check the eagles stickied thread...yes you will find some reaction...

Old
08-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

great addition whether or not they use him creatively such as the wildcat formations or something where he is used as a split back in a two-rb set from the shotgun or whatever. bottom line is that mcnabb gets injured often and kolb is not a very good quarterback at this point in time so vick gives them a guy with experiences and wins under his belt in the event mcnabb goes down again. only drawback is the media circus for a guy who may or may not play but the eagles are good at handling that, their fans only care about winning really and above all the tickets are all sold for this year anyway!

Old
08-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Vick has paid his price as far as the dogfighting thing, I won't get into some Olympics of misery regarding how much worse it is than hunting or stepping on a guy with your cleat or spike or any other stuff, bottom line is that the dude went to federal prison for two years, had his career derailed and his finances ruined and now he is still standing. Too many times guys pay their debt, however just or unjust, and find themselves rejected by the sports they dominated (e.g. Bob Hayes and Denny McClain), here is a guy who stayed healthy and got out while he could still play.

As far as the Eagles signing him, well, the downside is that this will draw a lot of added attention to the team for a guy who may or may not play at all this year. He is still clearing things up with the league and he has not played competitive sports for two years, so who knows how it will pan out apart from the fact that immediately there will be a lot more microphones and notebooks in practice and at games. Beyond that, as soon as the team falls below or even to .500, Vick will get blamed as a "presence" or a "cancer" even if he doesn't play.

Nevertheless, the Eagles will probably be a decent team and turn the focus away from the novelty of the signing in pretty short order and money-wise (always the most important to the organization) this makes no difference because his base is low and all the tickets have been sold.

So in terms of football, I love the move. McNabb is oft-injured and Kolb has shown no signs of being able to take over the team immediately in the event of an injury, Feely would be at least as competent and he is definitely not qualified to start for more than a game or two. Vick is unorthodox but he has a ton of experience and a winning record as a starter, unless his mental game is totally shot he is EASILY the best backup in the league. That is important for the Eagles who have managed to find one worthwhile starter behind McNabb (Garcia) in his entire career. Further Vick has possibilities to use as a receiver or even a back in some sets, heck the Eagles might actually run the ball a bit more, which is a unique thing to say when you sign a quarterback. Set him as a split back with McNabb and do some direct snap trickery or line him up wide as a decoy until you can spring a reverse pass or something else ill. Big time misdirection and trick play potential, should be FUN.

Old
08-14-2009, 11:25 PM
flyersguy33*

don't worry all the bandwagon fans will be back come december

Closed Thread