HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chelios turned down Rangers offer to play in Hartford but....(#118)

Old
08-15-2009, 09:39 AM
ocarina

vCash: 500
I can see the people against this are mainly saying "OMG, he's 90 years old!, play the youth instead!", but think about it.

What would you rather see? A 7th guy who would only play a few games here and there and help mentor the two rookies (I'm sure a guy like Gilroy could learn quite a bit from Chelios on defensive play), or a better (and more expensive) player like Boullion who would likely play regularly and block off a rookie?

People are acting like we would sign Chelios and expect him to play regularly, but considering that he didn't do that last year, I don't see where this assumption is coming from.

Personally, I'm fine with not signing another d-man, but management has a legit worry that there are only 4 d-man with significant NHL experience in the system.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 09:41 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Meh. Potter's the guy I want as the 7th d-man. He's at an age where we're going to lose him to UFA soon if we don't give him some NHL time anyway.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Oh what a jerk trying out for the Olympics! How dare he!

Chelios has forgotten more about hockey then are whole Defense knows combined.
Are you that blind? The point is he tried out for the Olympic team 30 years ago! Great he knows more defense whoopdie freakin' do Ron Duguay played in a game last year at Codey Arena in West Orange let's give him a look too he'd fit in nicely on the 4th line:shake head

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 11:10 AM
dynamoovechkin

Sheesh. You can't lead from the press box. Holland signed Chelly as a sentimental thing...he added nothing all year on the ice as was scratched for all but a couple of games in the playoffs.

You want him as a mentor, but he wants to be an NHL player for some reason, but it's over- no team will give him a roster spot.

As an example, his BFF (blowhard fan favorite) Roenick just gave San Jose two meaningless seasons. 4 liner production and leadership? The early playoff exits show how much that is worth, and Roenick can actually still play, unlike Grandfather Chelios.

And it bugs me that these octogenarians always mention the Rangers first when they are looking for a contract. What are we, the old elephant burial grounds in perpetuity? Stop the insanity!

Pass. Big pass.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 11:50 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
This statement is so over used this off season, it should be an instant ban.
thank you. that and guys being or not being "Torts kind of guys". Everyone that leaves is not a "Torts guy" and everyone that comes in is a "Torts guy." It's so stupid, and to anyone using logical thinking not the case.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 04:52 PM
polako

Hot damn, people. You can't score or be a defensive liability from the press box!

Anyone who thinks he'd play more than a handful of games is delusional. Any long term injury to a top 6 will result in a Hartford callup.

Chelios is the type of guy who will step in for a game and spell a slumping D. Perfect mentor for the younger guys too.

And yes, he's 47 years old. Doesn't change the fact that he played at a higher level than a couple of D that were in our top 6 last year.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Meh. Potter's the guy I want as the 7th d-man. He's at an age where we're going to lose him to UFA soon if we don't give him some NHL time anyway.
Just being on the NHL roster isn't enough--he has to play in games in order to not hit free agency. In any case, I doubt that the Rangers will carry a 7th defenseman throughout the season, it would eat up most of the remaining cap space. Hartford is only a hop, skip and a jump away.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 08-15-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Sheesh. You can't lead from the press box. Holland signed Chelly as a sentimental thing...he added nothing all year on the ice as was scratched for all but a couple of games in the playoffs.

You want him as a mentor, but he wants to be an NHL player for some reason, but it's over- no team will give him a roster spot.

As an example, his BFF (blowhard fan favorite) Roenick just gave San Jose two meaningless seasons. 4 liner production and leadership? The early playoff exits show how much that is worth, and Roenick can actually still play, unlike Grandfather Chelios.

And it bugs me that these octogenarians always mention the Rangers first when they are looking for a contract. What are we, the old elephant burial grounds in perpetuity? Stop the insanity!

Pass. Big pass.
Very good point. In hockey, leaders lead by example.

Old
08-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Are you that blind? The point is he tried out for the Olympic team 30 years ago! Great he knows more defense whoopdie freakin' do Ron Duguay played in a game last year at Codey Arena in West Orange let's give him a look too he'd fit in nicely on the 4th line:shake head
Because Ron Duguay's been playing in the NHL lately.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:28 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Very good point. In hockey, leaders lead by example.
not always, but you really can't lead if you're not playing a significant amount of games. You don't become part of a team by just sitting in the press box and practicing with guys.

Old
08-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
not always, but you really can't lead if you're not playing a significant amount of games. You don't become part of a team by just sitting in the press box and practicing with guys.
Yep, especially with a player who is new to the organization.

Old
08-17-2009, 08:36 AM
allstar3970

the way everybody is talking in this thread, why dont we sign boullion as a D-man and Chelios as an assistant coach? What if Chelios just wants to play, doesnt want to essentially be an assistant who plays once every 5 games or so?

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Vitto79

so still room for Bouillon with Prospal in?. You would think so if he gets 1 millon. Won't be much more than a guy like Sauer would make anyway in that spot

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I am not totally against Chelios in a Rangers sweater, and I understand the reasoning behind it. But, factor in this is a much changed game, and I am not so certain that and old school player like Cheli is the best candidate to mentor the young guys. Plus, isn't that kind of mentoring what the club is currently playing guys like Redden and Rosy for?

Onto Boullion, Ia actually would rather see him added over Cheli for one reason. I think the core of this club better fits Boullions game. You know, the guys that aren't as talented, but continually outwork the opposition. The small guy that goes into the corners full speed against the larger players and collides with reckless abandon. I see Boullion as an older defensive version of Ryan Callahan if that makes sense. Plus, this club needs a physical specimen on the blueline. And let's face it...Cheli at this stage of the game isn't going to be flattening people. Boullion, may not be the youngest kid on the block, but last season he was still flattening people, and making the defensive zone an unfriendly play for the opposition. To me, that is more important than having an older guy to mentor the youth. More important, becuase the opposition this club is going to face this year has physical players in thier top 6. Need to match that the right way, and have equal physical players on the other side of the ice.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 10:29 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so still room for Bouillon with Prospal in?. You would think so if he gets 1 millon. Won't be much more than a guy like Sauer would make anyway in that spot
I'd assume so, as long as Bouillon is available for at most 1.2 mil.

Old
08-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
if were lookin for leadership and not someone to put on the ice. Couldn't we use messier. He's in the office now doin just as much as what chelios would be doing. I'm sure mess would still lace up his skates

Or we can go sign tom glavine. I mean he was drafted in 84' he has great leadership and he hasn't have nearly asmany miles as chelios on his feet.

R we a retirement home?

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:23 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Chris Chelios is an advisor/special assistant to US Olympic brass.

Quote:
Coach Cheli: Chris Chelios was on the ice Monday as a special assistant coach.

"He was outskating some of our guys today," Ron Wilson said.

The 47-year-old Chelios remains an unrestricted free agent looking for an NHL team that needs an experienced defenseman.

"He pulled me aside and said, 'You guys need a defenseman up in Toronto, don't you?'" joked Wilson, the Maple Leafs coach.
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=314366

Quote:
With NHL training camps set to open in less than a month, veteran NHL defenceman Chris Chelios still does not have a team to continue his career. Toronto Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson, who doubles as the head coach of the United States men’s Olympic hockey team, relayed a story on Monday that the 47-year-old Chelios inquired about the possibility joining the Leafs.

Wilson said that Chelios asked the Leafs coach if “you guys have room in Toronto. I know an American coach would like an American defenceman. You even get this feeling that he thinks he can play with this team. He still wants to play.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs...rticle1254909/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:58 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah, he's ancient, but gotta admire a guy who really enjoys playing hockey as much as he seems to.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Because Ron Duguay's been playing in the NHL lately.
I don't know what my response was deleted all I said was he's 47 years old time to move on, I don't wanna argue just sharing opinions will a fellow fan.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 12:32 PM
NYR Viper

What about Steve Eminger? I believe he is still an UFA.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Kevin Allen of USA Today's Twitter

Quote:
Chris Chelios, 47, said he has feelers from two Russian teams in the KHL, but no offers from NHL. He has talked to AHL's Chicago Wolves
about 2 hours ago from web
http://twitter.com/kausatoday

No NHL offers. Chelly in the KHL

Old
08-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
What about Steve Eminger? I believe he is still an UFA.
thats a good name. Is he offensive?......would be cheap..........how many teams was he on last yr?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
thats a good name. Is he offensive?......would be cheap..........how many teams was he on last yr?
No offense, played for three teams.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:21 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
No offense, played for three teams.
Yeah, he would be a 3rd pairing d-man but at one point he was considered to have pretty high potential. He may be a good option for the 3rd pairinf IF they dont want to have 2 rookies.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:08 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"I'm going to play somewhere at the beginning of the year -- whether it's the minors or Europe," said Chelios. "I have to play. I have every intention of playing somewhere at the beginning of the year; hopefully, it's in the NHL. But if not, we'll see what happens."

He's heard the same refrain from NHL clubs that have some interest: They want to wait and see how some of their youngsters perform out of the gate before deciding whether they need him.

"I'll be waiting by the phone," Chelios said.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre