HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

My 7 year olds development

Old
08-14-2009, 10:26 PM
happyhab*

vCash: 500
My 7 year olds development

I was curious to know where a 7 year old should be in his development?? He really works hard at his skating within a year of skating he is able to skate quickly forward he has started to incorporate crossovers into his game. He can skate backwards and is now (slowly) doing crossovers going backwards.

He wants to make the select team this year under 7, for the record I'm a firm believer of the child having fun this is his own dedication, being a teacher I'm off for the summer so we've gone to the rink everyday in August and I plan on doing that till the end of August. But what should a child really be good at, at his age to make these higher level teams, Thanks really looking forward to your replies especially Coach.

Thanks

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:40 AM
RaskMullet
Pasta Time !

I defiantly think you should continue to focus on skating. Skating will get him noticed , especially if he's far advanced in his age group. Obviously still work on general skills, but they should come naturally to him as he's playing and the skating should help him feel comfortable to go after more lose pucks

RaskMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 08:09 AM
krax

Hi,
it's great what your kid already can do, but really, it's difficult to say what a kid should be able to do at a certain age. I know 7 y/o that have been playing organized hockey for 4 seasons. They have an advantage over others that just started.
In the end, it's hours spent playing that count. If your son loves hockey and you are there to give him the opportunity to play, he'll be fine.

One more thing: a pro player once told me: a good hockey player is a good athlete. So don't forget to spend some time at the swimming pool, biking, playing games... Especially in august.
k.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 08:30 AM
OCanada

Everyday in August? Holy crap, you and your child are hard core lol. Glad he loves it! My son has a huge passion for hockey and that is a big motivator and contributor to his success. He just turned 7 and has played elite level hockey.
The top players on his team are obviously great skaters both forward and backwards and are very strong on their feet (great balance).
They have great shots for their age. They can put it off the back cross bar with their forehand and backhand shots. I think the thing that makes these top players special is their abiltiy to read the play and anticipate whats going to happen. They are not pack style players, they go to where the puck is GOING to be, not where it is. They know to look for their teammates and let the puck do the work for them. They also seem to have a passion for the game that is greater than their teammates.

These are just a few examples of what makes the high end kids on our elite team stand out.
If your child loves the game and you keep giving him the opportunity to work on his skills (which is great by the way), he will only improve. BUT, every chance you get, make sure he has a stick and a puck with him when he is on the ice. Make him do alot of his skating drills WITH the puck. Practice that shot. A good shot at this age will make him very popular lol. Good luck and keep us posted!

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 07:17 PM
happyhab*

Thanks guys for your replies, and OCanada that really puts things in perspective a little Thanks again, anymore replies will be appreciated and helpful

Thanks

Old
08-15-2009, 07:26 PM
happyhab*

OCanada I do have one question for you, you say your child is 7 what level of skating is he at?? How are his general hockey skills??
you mentioned he plays at an elite level so I'm really interested to know how your child is doing

Old
08-15-2009, 07:46 PM
AIREAYE

perhaps I am overreacting, but this seems like classic 'Stagemom' behaviour...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 07:48 PM
OCanada

HappyHab, I am not sure how to describe his skating ability. He is able to play all positions, so he can skate backwards well, and he has explosive fwd speed; for his age of course. Our team was lucky to probably have 3 of the top 5 players in the province on it. I was spoiled watching these boys play. Feel free to ask me some questions as I know the 2002 age group here better than anyone and could maybe provide you with an idea of where the different levels are at. Its just hard to describe what level there skating is at.

Where are you from? Judging by your name I was wondering if you were from Montreal

Last edited by OCanada: 08-16-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old
08-15-2009, 07:51 PM
OCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
perhaps I am overreacting, but this seems like classic 'Stagemom' behaviour...

I think HappyHab is just curious to know how his child stacks up against the rest as far as his skating development is concerned. It seems to me as though his child is an above avg player for his age and is just interested to see if he is a head of the game or right on track.
Maybe we are over reacting but its fun watching the kids excel.

Old
08-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
I think HappyHab is just curious to know how his child stacks up against the rest as far as his skating development is concerned. It seems to me as though his child is an above avg player for his age and is just interested to see if he is a head of the game or right on track.
Maybe we are over reacting but its fun watching the kids excel.
I think that is pretty normal and healthy, to be curious to know.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:05 AM
AIREAYE

Yeh, Im sure that watching your kid develop must be a pretty cool experience, just don't...puch too hard i suppose. Best of luck

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Do you live in the U.S?

Because if you do, think twice about a select team.

They are ruining the sport as local leagues that are much cheaper are having trouble attracting players because every parent is trying to make their kid the next great one.

Hockey is turning to a upper class sport as we speak. IMO, we need to keep the select teams numbers down and the local town leagues up.

Sorry for the rant.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:56 AM
OCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Do you live in the U.S?

Because if you do, think twice about a select team.

They are ruining the sport as local leagues that are much cheaper are having trouble attracting players because every parent is trying to make their kid the next great one.

Hockey is turning to a upper class sport as we speak. IMO, we need to keep the select teams numbers down and the local town leagues up.

Sorry for the rant.
Reminds me of the Minnesota Machine. Very impressive program, quite pricey though from what I hear. Are other areas doing this as well?

Old
08-16-2009, 01:21 PM
happyhab*

No I live in Brampton Toronto....There is nothing better on the planet then watching your kids play I love pushing my son but with pure encouragement... if he didn't want to play I wouldn't care less, just that every morning he wants to go skating or parent child shinny and since I'm off I take him.

OCanada- he is a decent stickhandler, his wristshot doesn't leave the ice neither does his slapshot...so I guess thats where he needs the most work, but is that normal for the select kids?? Also I would say he's a pretty good skater, also his hockey sense is pretty good, never goes into the scrums plays very positional always anticipating the puck, and very careful not to moveup to much not letting the other team get a breakaway, so he is very responsible defensively..again thanks for the advice really appreciate it, unless you have kids playing at this age you can't really appreciate how important this advice is.

Old
08-16-2009, 02:18 PM
OCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
No I live in Brampton Toronto....There is nothing better on the planet then watching your kids play I love pushing my son but with pure encouragement... if he didn't want to play I wouldn't care less, just that every morning he wants to go skating or parent child shinny and since I'm off I take him.

OCanada- he is a decent stickhandler, his wristshot doesn't leave the ice neither does his slapshot...so I guess thats where he needs the most work, but is that normal for the select kids?? Also I would say he's a pretty good skater, also his hockey sense is pretty good, never goes into the scrums plays very positional always anticipating the puck, and very careful not to moveup to much not letting the other team get a breakaway, so he is very responsible defensively..again thanks for the advice really appreciate it, unless you have kids playing at this age you can't really appreciate how important this advice is.

Anytime! I love watching the kids play and watching them try something new or something you have taught them.
The majority of kids on our team could raise the puck. None use a slapshot however one did score on a onetimer of the face off but it was just hard on the ice. Roughly 4 kids on our select team could go top shelf. It sounds like your child is right there. Ice time is so important at this age as is playing against others that challenge the kdis. My son played both 6 and under and on a 7/8 team. He was bored in the 6 and under but absolutely lived for the challenge of playing 7/8 hockey. As the season wore on he excelled more and more in the older age group finish top 3 in scoring. That extra challenge of having to always compete really helped his skills advance.
I am actually enjoying hockey more now then when I played lol. Seeing the passion in my sons eye for the game is truly a dream come true for me!
Cheers!

Old
08-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
I was curious to know where a 7 year old should be in his development?? He really works hard at his skating within a year of skating he is able to skate quickly forward he has started to incorporate crossovers into his game. He can skate backwards and is now (slowly) doing crossovers going backwards.

He wants to make the select team this year under 7, for the record I'm a firm believer of the child having fun this is his own dedication, being a teacher I'm off for the summer so we've gone to the rink everyday in August and I plan on doing that till the end of August. But what should a child really be good at, at his age to make these higher level teams, Thanks really looking forward to your replies especially Coach.

Thanks
First, I commend that you are taking the time to work with him every day. Most Dads would take the time. In fact, I see a lot of Dads just dropping the kid off and come back later to pick him up. Some times this is good, because this way the kid doesn't get to different messages, one from the coach and one from the parent.

7 is a great age to start. As you know from being a teacher, kids learn at different rates and different ways. As long as it's his idea and you are not forcing him, he will become a great hockey player.

Now, I have been working with a 7 year old who just turned 8. He skates backwards as fast as kids skate forwards. One way you can help improve your childs backwards skating is to have him pull the net.

If your rink has an open ice slot where you can get on the ice and work with him, this is a pretty good drill to use with him to improve his backwards skating by 1000%

Here's how the drill works...

Place the net so that the front on the net is on the ice, leaving the back of the net up so that he can grab the bottom of the metal portion of the net with two hands.

Place him at the center of the net and have him skate backwards with the net. Now, there is more to it then just pulling the net backwards.

What you want to do is teach him, hip to net angle ratio! What?

When he starts to pull the net back, he will need to adjust his hip to allow maximum drive off the pushing leg.

Here's a good example: If a skater is skating forward and you want him on the whistle to skate backwards, he will kind of stop facing either direction and then make a an initial "C" cut off the outside leg. Now this "Kind" of stop isn't a full stop. It's more of a backwards pivot.

Now, if you were to see this, the player would kind of do a stop facing 90 degree to the direction he was skating. However, to quickly go from forward skate to backwards skating, one needs to stop more then 90 degrees. In fact, the player needs to stop more of a 120 degree to the forward motion. What this is going to do is allow that outside drive leg to use that big "C" cut during the initial crossover skating backwards.

Once that "C" leg starts to come back, that player will complete the stride with 2 crossover in one direction.

Then once the two crossovers are made, there is a balancing "transition" before be he does two crossovers in the other direction. Once he completes the two crossovers, there is another balancing "transition" before he crosses in the other direction.

Now, The net is used as a balancing tool. Once he start to get use to shifting his weight and hips while dragging the net, then you do the same thing without the net. The one thing you are looking for is how he turns his hips for that driving "C" cut before the first crossover. This is key! Without turning his hips, he will not have power behind each stride. The net allows him to turn his hips for the power and still keeps his balance.

Now, as he drags this net, he also needs to manipulate the net to shift with him. Example: If he is pulling the net backwards and he wants to start his first cross over from left to right, he is going to pull the right side of the net so it is closer to him, then he is going to adjust his hips so that he is perpendicular to the net. Make a big "C" cut with his left leg and follow through with two crossovers.

During the Balancing Transition, pull the left side of the net towards the body and then adjust his hips to face perpendicular to the net and then start the big "C" cut on the right leg followed by two crossover of the left skate. When he does the cross over correctly, the net will follow and adjust to the proper angle where all he needs to do is adjust his hip perpendicular to the net to allow the driving leg to work.

Hane him do this drill down and back and then without the net. Repeat until he can skate backwards as afst as other kids skate forwards.

Hope this helps.
Head coach

08-16-2009, 08:02 PM
vivianmb

my boy played super 7's this spring. he's probably the smartest player at his age. he always makes the right play. and he can already stickhandle better than me.he needs to work on his speed because he is very small. but i think he's doing great. i just encourage him to keep trying harder every time he's on the ice.
my 5 year old ..he's an excellent skater and runs over kids. he scores a lot, but he likes crashing into people better than he likes scoring.real fun to watch him play, he's like a tank.
just remember you are his DAD first. show him love wheteher he is successful or not.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:54 PM
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Here's a good example: If a skater is skating forward and you want him on the whistle to skate backwards, he will kind of stop facing either direction and then make a an initial "C" cut off the outside leg. Now this "Kind" of stop isn't a full stop. It's more of a backwards pivot.

Now, if you were to see this, the player would kind of do a stop facing 90 degree to the direction he was skating. However, to quickly go from forward skate to backwards skating, one needs to stop more then 90 degrees. In fact, the player needs to stop more of a 120 degree to the forward motion. What this is going to do is allow that outside drive leg to use that big "C" cut during the initial crossover skating backwards.

Once that "C" leg starts to come back, that player will complete the stride with 2 crossover in one direction.

Then once the two crossovers are made, there is a balancing "transition" before be he does two crossovers in the other direction. Once he completes the two crossovers, there is another balancing "transition" before he crosses in the other direction.
Thats funny I just saw Sergei Fedorov doing almost exactly that drill in this video starting at 0:24. Maybe it'll help as a visual in addition to your explanation.

nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by nada View Post
Thats funny I just saw Sergei Fedorov doing almost exactly that drill in this video starting at 0:24. Maybe it'll help as a visual in addition to your explanation.
Yes, that is a perfect example. Notice that the skate are not exactly at 90 degrees to the stop, but past that 90 degrees which allows him to start skating backwards during the turn. Using the net will allow you to keep your balance during the cross overs from side to side. Thanks for the added Video!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:40 PM
OCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
my boy played super 7's this spring. he's probably the smartest player at his age. he always makes the right play. and he can already stickhandle better than me.he needs to work on his speed because he is very small. but i think he's doing great. i just encourage him to keep trying harder every time he's on the ice.
my 5 year old ..he's an excellent skater and runs over kids. he scores a lot, but he likes crashing into people better than he likes scoring.real fun to watch him play, he's like a tank.
just remember you are his DAD first. show him love wheteher he is successful or not.

Curious to know who he played for? I think there are the Lightning, Mustangs and Steelers right?

Old
08-17-2009, 06:27 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
Curious to know who he played for? I think there are the Lightning, Mustangs and Steelers right?
mustangs

Old
08-17-2009, 07:19 AM
OCanada

Right on. I know your sons team. The boy from ManSask Team is another intelligent player! There are some talented 01 kids, thats for sure!

Old
08-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Everest

If the kids are crashing down the bedroom door at 0500 because they don't want to be late for an 0900 practice: You've got yourself a hockey player.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:14 PM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
mustangs

They tournaments for 7 year olds? What is the super 7's?

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:58 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
They tournaments for 7 year olds? What is the super 7's?
yearly april tournament for 6-7-8-and older i think. teams from all over winnipeg play.
www.manitobamustangs.com