HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

When will the CBJ make their next splash?

Old
08-15-2009, 07:29 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

vCash: 500
When will the CBJ make their next splash?

Looking at the direction management has chosen, to build through the draft and around the young core - Brassard, Voracek, Filatov, Mason, Russell, etc - makes me wonder when the next time we'll see a $3M+ free agent signing or acquisition will be. Obviously, most of our budget space will be invested in resigning the young kids.

Then you look at the contracts coming off the books after this off-season: Vermette, Torres, Modin, Klesla - With Boll and Russell as RFA's

Russell and Vermette are locks for being resigned... and Boll as a probably.

Modin is pretty much gone after this season. Torres could stay, depending on his asking price, but I would think that his money would go towards the kids. Klesla seems like a wildcard, but is probably gone.

Assuming those 3 are the only ones gone, thats $7.1M in space, but the jackets would be short a top 4 defenseman and two third-line forwards.
Modin's contract would probably cancel out with the raise that Brassard will be due. And probably the same for Torres' contract with Russell...

Anyway, our top six is set for the next few years, with holes only opening up at bottom six wings, which we have plenty of in our system...

So when are we going to see another move above maybe a Pahlsson type contract...

CoachWithNoTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
This will get interesting :grabs popcorn:

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
You will never see a big name free agent signing with this current ownership in place. Pahlsson is as good as it gets in Columbus.

The ownership cares more about making money than winning. Fact.

There's a reason Howson hasn't even attempted to sign the big name free agents, because he isn't allowed to.

Also, alot of free agents do not want to play for Ken Hitchcock for the fear of hurting their offensive statistics.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Howson hates Columbus.

Matthew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Howson hates Columbus.
I'm glad you have nothing constructive to say, further proving my point. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Old
08-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Skraut

I'll settle for winning and signing our young players to good contracts.

I'll leave it to the Rangers to throw big dough at free agents making a "Big Splash" then let their RFA's walk away because they can't afford them.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
You will never see a big name free agent signing with this current ownership in place. Pahlsson is as good as it gets in Columbus.

There's a reason Howson hasn't even attempted to sign the big name free agents, because he isn't allowed to.

Also, alot of free agents do not want to play for Ken Hitchcock for the fear of hurting their offensive statistics.
Criminy, hon, if you want so badly to follow a team that does big-time free agent signings, go watch the Rangers more often. I know they don't have Zherdev anymore, so that'll make it harder, but they'll have Gaborik for at least a handful of games, and big-time names like Drury, Redden, and Rozsival are still there.

As for the OP... I don't think we're going to see another such move for a while unless someone practically falls into our lap, or one or two of the kids explodes. We've got a very nice future going forward; there's no need to throw tons of cash at overpriced free agents.

I prefer our big splashes to be in the "holy **** look at the new youngster" realm, myself.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

I think if ownership allowed Howson to spend an extra $10 million, we'd be competing with the Chicago's and Detroit's in the standings, instead of the Oilers and Kings.

Old
08-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
I think if ownership allowed Howson to spend an extra $10 million, we'd be competing with the Chicago's and Detroit's in the standings, instead of the Oilers and Kings.
I think we'll manage that just fine after next year regardless.

Now, if ever we start letting big-time RFAs like any of the Big Four, or star UFAs (such as, say, Rick Nash) walk due to money concerns, then you can kvetch about cheap ownership all you like and I'll back you. But until that time - and ONLY until that time - expect to be pointed and laughed at every time you suggest it.

Old
08-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Doug19

Quote:

I thought the reason Howson isn't going after big name free-agents is because he recognizes that he has some 1st and 2nd year players that can become huge contributors in the NHL that will be wanting a pay raise here in the next season or two. I'd rather keep them.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Skraut

Quote:
If we spent the extra 10 million now we wouldn't have it for:

Mason
Brassard
Voracek
Filatov

Sorry I'm already nervous about the money tied up in Huselius, and am glad we don't have somebody like Brad Richards's salary to pay along with Nash's. The kids will demand that type of salary one day, we need to have the space to pay it.

Old
08-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
If we spent the extra 10 million now we wouldn't have it for:

Mason
Brassard
Voracek
Filatov

Sorry I'm already nervous about the money tied up in Huselius, and am glad we don't have somebody like Brad Richards's salary to pay along with Nash's. The kids will demand that type of salary one day, we need to have the space to pay it.
But... but... but free agents! Proven talent! Big market! Big splash! Goals! Well known names! Brad Richards! *waves hands around*

Old
08-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

So we sign Brassard for $5 million, and Torres, Klesla, and Modin are off the books. We have over 20 million in cap space next year, where's the other $15 million going? You're not going to tell me Jared Boll and Kris Russell are going to eat up cap space are you?

Old
08-15-2009, 09:13 PM
JS19

You don't need to splash to get a good team, build from the draft with cheap, young, quality players and you can definitely contend. However keep the face of your franchise locked...(smart choice with Nash, after getting lowballed)

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
So we sign Brassard for $5 million, and Torres, Klesla, and Modin are off the books. We have over 20 million in cap space next year, where's the other $15 million going? You're not going to tell me Jared Boll and Kris Russell are going to eat up cap space are you?
Part of it's going to Vermette, part of it's going to Russell (yes, he will), and the rest is going to Filatov, Voracek, Mason, and possibly Hejda and Mayorov the year after. And that's assuming you let Klesla walk, which I think isn't very likely unless he does really poorly this year.

The path you are advocating is the same path that was recently taken by the Chicago Blackhawks when they signed Campbell and Huet last year. It is a Bad Path filled with danger and lost superstars. I would prefer we not go there.

Old
08-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
But... but... but free agents! Proven talent! Big market! Big splash! Goals! Well known names! Brad Richards! *waves hands around*

OOooooo, SHINY! Me WANT SHINY!!!! So prettyyyy, my precious....

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Skraut

Quote:
The last "Big Splash," a name that even Non Hockey fans knew, that the Jackets acquired was Sergei Fedorov. Do we need to go down that road again? Or how about that free agent splash we made with Adam Foote, He was awesome wasn't he. Or maybe that Center that made Jagr so good in Pittsburgh, Jan Hrdina. Or that guy that made the Sedin's good, Anson Carter.

Give me the names nobody has heard of like Jan Hejda any day. Sure you get the occasional Novotny, but you aren't saddled with contracts like Wade Redden

Last edited by Skraut: 08-15-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old
08-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
The path you are advocating is the same path that was recently taken by the Chicago Blackhawks when they signed Campbell and Huet last year. It is a Bad Path filled with danger and lost superstars. I would prefer we not go there.
This one BILLION times over.

Old
08-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

I never said we need a whole team full of free agents, and I never will say that.

What I was saying is that we have had extra cap space every single year it's been available, and have not used it to improve the team. That will be true in 09/10.
The only RFA coming up is Brassard. Mason is 2 years away, as is Voracek/Filatov. Too early to worry about that.
The Penguins didn't seem to have any cap problems like everyone said they would 12 months ago.
Even with Mason and the other big 3 signed, we're still going to have extra cap space not used, and that was my whole point. Failing to improve the team when you can.
The Florida Marlins pocket their luxury tax money every year and don't use it on players.
I agree with the strong core of drafted players, but you need free agents and veterans to compliment those young players.
I don't see why you guys think that 20 and 21 year olds are going to take us to the Stanley Cup.
I mean, the goal in my mind is to win the Cup, am I alone here? Cutting corners and pinching pennies is good when you're only worried about making a profit and not winning.

Old
08-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Skraut

Quote:
I mean, the goal in my mind is to win the Cup, am I alone here? Cutting corners and pinching pennies is good when you're only worried about making a profit and not winning.
What part of "the team lost 10 million dollars last season" do you not understand?

Of course the ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup, but the more immediate short term goal is to ice a competitive team which is financially able to survive.

Jim Balsille said he wasn't interested in the Jackets because it was too good of a market. Sadly I think he's wrong. The city is ripe for a pro sports franchise, but with the interference of OSU and their arena combined with the voters unwillingness to pay a couple extra pennies for a beer, mean the team is limited in what they can do.

Yes we want the team to win the cup. If they load up expensive UFA's, and trade young inexpensive prospects for expensive veterans and get to the cap will they have a better shot at winning it, yes they probably will. I'm not going to deny that. The thing is, if they don't improve and ticket sales don't increase the team is suddenly losing 25 million a year instead of 10.

In that case, say hello to the Kansas City Scouts.

Old
08-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

The OP asked when we will make our big splash, so the argument now is either you're upset I spilled the truth that we never will, and people are upset at that? or?

Old
08-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
What part of "the team lost 10 million dollars last season" do you not understand?

Of course the ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup, but the more immediate short term goal is to ice a competitive team which is financially able to survive.

Jim Balsille said he wasn't interested in the Jackets because it was too good of a market. Sadly I think he's wrong. The city is ripe for a pro sports franchise, but with the interference of OSU and their arena combined with the voters unwillingness to pay a couple extra pennies for a beer, mean the team is limited in what they can do.

Yes we want the team to win the cup. If they load up expensive UFA's, and trade young inexpensive prospects for expensive veterans and get to the cap will they have a better shot at winning it, yes they probably will. I'm not going to deny that. The thing is, if they don't improve and ticket sales don't increase the team is suddenly losing 25 million a year instead of 10.

In that case, say hello to the Kansas City Scouts.
I understand, which is why I don't blame Howson. I was just trying to say that we will be fine with our RFAs, the Penguins handled theirs with no problems, and we still may have cap space to spare. What I don't want to see is an owner with money next summer and beyond who won't spend it because he says "well we made the playoffs without big names, so we'll just keep making the playoffs and a profit".

Old
08-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

If you can manage your assets properly, you can sign the 4 RFAs without throwing the next 3 years down the crapper waiting to see how much money they want.

Old
08-15-2009, 10:25 PM
hashmarks

Quote:

Yes, Huselius steered clear as did Nash move along...oh wait...and guys who have been basically irrelevant in the league (Hainsey, Malhotra, Chimera) all seem to have their best years under Hitch.

Quote:
I'm glad you have nothing constructive to say, further proving my point. Thanks for agreeing with me.
You are actually calling what you wrote constructive?

Quote:
D-uh...no kidding. Give Hitch three more 3.5 million dollar players and how good do you think the team would be? We are a small market team that loses money every year. They have a budget, get used to it. Is this somehow just become news to you?

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
If you can manage your assets properly, you can sign the 4 RFAs without throwing the next 3 years down the crapper waiting to see how much money they want.
Yes! Yes! Entirely correct. And part of that proper asset management entails NOT chasing after the latest shiny UFA just 'cause there's cap space that happens to be available.

"Proper asset management" isn't some kind of black magic incantation that only a few mystically inclined GMs can successfully cast.

Having cap space doesn't mean that you're somehow doing poorly. The goal is a regular Cup contender within the next few years, not maximizing payroll right now. There is nothing we can realistically add that will make us Cup contenders both right now and going forward. Have some patience.