HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier named Special Assistant ...

Old
08-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Messier named Special Assistant ...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162009...ck__184732.htm

Quote:
This move should not be interpreted as Sather hiring his successor. Messier is not the heir apparent. Rather, he is assuming the same type of apprentice position that contemporaries such as Steve Yzerman (Detroit), Cam Neely (Boston) and Al MacInnis (St. Louis) have assumed with their respective franchises.

"While I believe I have a lot to offer, I know I have a lot to learn about the management and business side of the sport," Messier said. "From the hockey side, I'm going to try and get a feel for the players we have under contract, the depth of our organization, the operation in [AHL] Hartford.

It's nice to have Messier back with the team and this is the perfect role for him. I think no matter how the Rangers try to spin it this move makes Messier the obvious replacement for Sather. I'm not sure if that's what I want to see but I think this is the first step to Messier running the Rangers.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Emptyvoid

While i would never want to have Messier as our GM (lack of knowledge and experience, unless he gained a lot of it over the next few years), I am very glad that he will be part of the management in some way. He will forever hold a special place in the heart of Ranger's fans and having part of the organization will do it wonders. Hope you're successful in your position Messier!

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

The thing I hate about Mess being GM one day, is that we will, eventually, have to fire him.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
The thing I hate about Mess being GM one day, is that we will, eventually, have to fire him.
Like Sather?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Like Sather?
Ah, one can only dream....

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Yes, I was about to write that. If I were Messier, I'd never want this position. Unless he'll turn into Lou Lamoriello, he'll get fired. Everyone does.

And instead of being The Captain, the greatest Ranger ever, he'll be someone we'll be crapping on for a trade or a signing.

Even if he does a great job, one must always overpay for free agents, and every time he will do that, even if it's a move that all the professionals in the sport will think is good, the fans will jump on him.

Fans always expect two things form GMs:

1. Trades where we get something really good, while dumping useless or harmful pieces.

2. Signing of unrestricted free agents from other teams for the same money one would pay to a restricted free agent that you drafted.

Since this is not possible, the GM must be ripped to shreds. That's what will always happen to Mess.

Stay away, Captain. Go fishing. Enjoy your life. You don't need the money and the aggravation that comes with it.

Keep your reputation as the greatest Ranger.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:14 AM
DrZoidberg

This is amazing news.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:28 AM
The Thomas J.*

Long time coming.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:40 AM
McMonster

meh... I just really hope he wont become GM eventually.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:05 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Mess= Torts type of guy lmao

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:22 AM
HoosierDaddy

So this guys been sniffing around the NHL dinner table for scraps for what, 15 years, without working or earning a shot and he deserves to apprentice for the next Ranger GM? I feel the 94 Oiler contingent, except for Gravy, are like the uninvited guests that move in permanently. I'm amazed how little ex-Oilers identify with Edmonton.

We'll be stuck with ex-Oilers for my life-time. This Sucks!!!! This dude "lead" us into the toilet for his 2nd tour and he "knows what it takes to win in New York?"

Does he know where Edmonton is? Enough already. There are far more deserving former (home-grown) Rangers that deserve it more.

Am I, besides Checketts, the only guy that thinks we've already paid enough for that lonely Cup? He pulled hold-outs and extorted concessions from the Rangers, left to chase the money and returned to lead us out of the playoffs for years. Yeah, he's the greatest. NOT!

I wouldn't mind Leetch (never happen while the Baffoon from Banf-f-f is here) or Ricky as they're our guys. But Methuseluh?

Last edited by HoosierDaddy: 08-16-2009 at 04:33 AM.
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:36 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
A Messier bash post now that's something you don't see everyday.

But 15 years? either you suck at math or

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:05 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
A Messier bash post now that's something you don't see everyday.

But 15 years? either you suck at math or
You are right, I suck at math. You don't see these threads because he's done nothing in hockey since retiring. That's what happens when you go fishing instead of learning a new skill. The last I looked the thread wasn't billed a "Love-in" so I assumed it's ok to gasp in horror at this development.

I couldn't be bothered to look up his tearful retirement because, well... I couldn't be bothered. He's the poster child for the "leadership" tag and how overrated it is. You'd think he was on the ice alone when we won the Cup. At least he could play. It's ok if you want to be a fan-boy. But that doesn't mean we all have to follow your lead.

I'm still sore about him behaving like a mercenary, which people forgive and forget, but I choose not to forgive him for that. That's my choice. Let him go apprentice in Edmonton or Vancouver.

Old
08-16-2009, 05:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

There is no reason why Messier can't be a GM one day. Ron Francis in Carolina is another guy on the Yzerman,MacInnis and Neely path.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:42 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
You are right, I suck at math. You don't see these threads because he's done nothing in hockey since retiring. That's what happens when you go fishing instead of learning a new skill. The last I looked the thread wasn't billed a "Love-in" so I assumed it's ok to gasp in horror at this development.

I couldn't be bothered to look up his tearful retirement because, well... I couldn't be bothered. He's the poster child for the "leadership" tag and how overrated it is. You'd think he was on the ice alone when we won the Cup. At least he could play. It's ok if you want to be a fan-boy. But that doesn't mean we all have to follow your lead.

I'm still sore about him behaving like a mercenary, which people forgive and forget, but I choose not to forgive him for that. That's my choice. Let him go apprentice in Edmonton or Vancouver.
I'm not against people having other opinions of messier.
But it's not like messier is pulling something new here,other nhl hall of famers who are now retired (and didnt learn said new skill) are doing it in other organizations.

Now i'm not the best example of a sather supporter but even i don't think sather is this big of a clueless moron to bring in messier if he didn't have at least SOME potenial for the job.

Old
08-16-2009, 05:55 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
I'm not against people having other opinions of messier.
But it's not like messier is pulling something new here,other nhl hall of famers who are now retired (and didnt learn said new skill) are doing it in other organizations.

Now i'm not the best example of a sather supporter but even i don't think Sather is this big of a clueless moron to bring in messier if he didn't have at least SOME potenial for the job.
Your point is well taken, but Neely is the exception to the rule. Most "legends" like Yzerman, Francis, et.al. go immediately into the front office of the team they made their name with. Most of the rest go into broadcasting, scouting, coaching in the minors, etc. There is a clear demarcation of the kinds of players that can write their own tickets. This guys been doing (smoking?) who knows what on the beach in Bahamas. Good for him. I think that his prorities are right to settle down after a long playing career- I applaud him. What I do not appreciate is him getting a shot to further their careers that maybe some lesser demigods don't get.

btw - I'm just joking of hte smoking part.

While i do not particularly care for him, if I saw him paying his dues like 99% of the retired players I'd have no problem with the move, he'd deserve it. This move smacks of cronyism. Ranger fans will be in the back seat with our seat-belts on while Dum and Dumber (thelma & Louise) drive their convertable over the grand Canyon. I root for the sweater, not the characters.

I'm just tired of the Oiler imports (Graves the exception) loitering in N.Y. Let them rekindle their succes in Edmonton. I still believe "The Baffoon from Banf-f-f" sold out to the Dolans for a life-time contract for delivering the Cup.

Last edited by HoosierDaddy: 08-16-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old
08-16-2009, 07:36 AM
FromTheSide

Well i don't know about the whole smoking buisness ( guess i'll have to wikipedia messier ) but look on the bright side ,when messier is GM it means 1 of 2 things

1) sather is dead
2) sather finally has hit the mental breaking point and signed joel lundqvist to a 10mill contract to play goalie

This is all of course if messier ever even gets the chance to move up the ranks in the organization.

Old
08-16-2009, 08:01 AM
chosen

There is zero correlation between great players being great coaches. It would make sense that Sather would pick Messier to be his heir because it flies in the face of logic and is about publicity rather than who would deserve the job.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:25 AM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
So this guys been sniffing around the NHL dinner table for scraps for what, 15 years, without working or earning a shot and he deserves to apprentice for the next Ranger GM? I feel the 94 Oiler contingent, except for Gravy, are like the uninvited guests that move in permanently. I'm amazed how little ex-Oilers identify with Edmonton.

We'll be stuck with ex-Oilers for my life-time. This Sucks!!!! This dude "lead" us into the toilet for his 2nd tour and he "knows what it takes to win in New York?"

Does he know where Edmonton is? Enough already. There are far more deserving former (home-grown) Rangers that deserve it more.

Am I, besides Checketts, the only guy that thinks we've already paid enough for that lonely Cup? He pulled hold-outs and extorted concessions from the Rangers, left to chase the money and returned to lead us out of the playoffs for years. Yeah, he's the greatest. NOT!

I wouldn't mind Leetch (never happen while the Baffoon from Banf-f-f is here) or Ricky as they're our guys. But Methuseluh?
Bravo.

Just want to let you know you're not the only one who feels this way.

Unfortunately, because the current regime (Dolan and Sather) continue to feed at the trough of a '94 Cup victory they had nothing whatsoever to do with, you'll see them flogging the heros of '94 for the duration to deflect criticism for their multitudenous blunders.

Smoke and Mirrors. They've run out of dog and pony shows and can't retire any more numbers.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:34 AM
pwoz

I think Graves would be more suitable for a future GM.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:41 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Why can't he just go away? Leave, Mark. Please. Unravel your tentacles from around this team's throat. Please.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:42 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think Graves would be more suitable for a future GM.
I'd be willing to give Graves the keys to MSG. He can have any job he wants!

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:58 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Why can't he just go away? Leave, Mark. Please. Unravel your tentacles from around this team's throat. Please.
Agreed. There's been a negativity associated with Mess for over a decade now, that I don't want insinuating itself into the organization.

Thanks for the Cup, captain, but please go find something else to do.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:04 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Here's the press release:

Quote:
New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that Mark Messier has been named Special Assistant to the President.

“Mark is one of the greatest players in the history of the National Hockey League. I have witnessed him grow throughout his career and am looking forward to him joining the organization and learning a whole new part of the hockey business.,” stated Sather.

“I am looking forward to joining the Rangers organization and having the opportunity to learn a new part of the business, working closely with Glen”, stated Messier. “I have felt a strong connection to the Rangers, Madison Square Garden and the city of New York from the moment I arrived in 1991. I am honored to begin this new chapter of my career here.”

The 16-time NHL All-Star joined the Rangers on October 4, 1991 in one of the most significant transactions in the history of the organization. Messier was acquired from Edmonton in exchange for Bernie Nicholls, Steven Rice and Louie DeBrusk. He was named captain in his first home game as a Ranger on October 7, 1991 following his Rangers debut in Montreal, on October 5. In his first season with the club, Messier guided the team to the President’s Trophy, leading the team in scoring with 107 points and capturing his second Hart Trophy. He set a Rangers record for most assists by a center, with 72, while becoming the fifth player in franchise history to reach the 100-point plateau.

In 1993-94, Messier led the Rangers to the team’s second President’s Trophy in three seasons and carried the Rangers to its first Stanley Cup Championship in 54 years. He set a Rangers playoff record with 12 post-season goals, including the Stanley Cup winning tally on June 14, 1994, as the Rangers defeated Vancouver, 3-2, to win Game Seven of the Stanley Cup Finals. Messier, who ranks seventh all-time with four career playoff hat tricks, recorded his most memorable three or more goal game on May 25, 1994, at New Jersey in Game Six of the Eastern Conference Finals, netting three goals, including the game-tying and game-winning tallies. He ranks second on the Rangers all-time playoff scoring list with 80 points, placing second in goals (29) and assists (51).

Messier played his final game with the Rangers on March 31, 2004, against the Buffalo Sabres, scoring the 694th goal of his career. He officially announced his retirement on September 12, 2005. Messier’s number 11 was retired by the Rangers and raised to the Madison Square Garden rafter’s on Thursday, January 12, 2006.

The Edmonton, Alberta native was a four-time NHL First Team All-Star and two-time winner of the Lester B. Pearson Award as the league MVP as voted by the players. Messier ranks fifth on the Rangers all-time scoring list with 691 points. Named the club’s MVP in 1992, 1995 and 1996, he places seventh all-time in goals with 250 and sixth in assists with 441. Messier holds Rangers club records for Most Game Winning Goals, Playoff Year (four, ‘94), Most Points, Playoff Series (11, ’94 Conference Finals), Most Shorthanded Goals, Single Game (two, Apr. 21, 1992 vs. New Jersey) and Most Goals, One Period (three, May 25, 1994 at New Jersey).

Messier ranks second on the NHL’s all-time scoring list with 1,887 points. In addition, he places seventh in goals with 694, third in assists with 1,193 and second in games played with 1,756. He is a two-time recipient of the Hart Trophy, as the league’s Most Valuable Player (’90, ’92), has appeared in the second most playoff contests in National Hockey League history (236) and also ranks second in goals (109), assists (186) and points (295). The winner of the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1984 as the Most Valuable Player in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Messier is a six-time Stanley Cup Champion, captaining the 1990 Edmonton Oilers and the 1994 New York Rangers. Messier is the first player to have served as captain for two different teams winning the Stanley Cup.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
There's been a negativity associated with Mess for over a decade now.
There has been? Maybe on these boards.