HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Vinny Prospal, 1 yr. $1.1 million

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2009, 05:24 AM
  #1
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 50
Rangers sign Vinny Prospal, 1 yr. $1.1 million

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162009...pal_184796.htm

Great signing imo!

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:36 AM
  #2
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 500
yeah terms are ok, but whose spot is he gonna take? there should be another trade coming before the season starts.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:38 AM
  #3
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 22,604
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
FANTASTIC SIGNING!

Seriously vinny prospal is talented and its a bargain at that price.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:41 AM
  #4
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Zherdev who?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:43 AM
  #5
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 50
Don't see how the terms can't be considered great. In an "off" year last year he had 19g and 26a.

More importantly he has a history of having an "off" year followed by a "good" year, and this should be his "good year." Even if not, if he can get you ~20g and ~25a for $1.1 million it's a steal.

He's also versatile and can play LW or center.

He can replace Naslund's production for 1/4 the price and give us greater depth. A move may be coming, and I am concerned he might be at the expense of Anisimov, but the value of the deal can't be ignored. It's a great signing.

Shouldn't ignore the pattern!

2009-2010 - __g __a __p
2008-2009 - 19 26 45
2007-2008 - 33 38 71
2006-2007 - 14 41 55
2005-2006 - 25 55 80
2003-2004 - 19 35 54
2002-2003 - 22 57 79
2001-2002 - 18 37 55

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:49 AM
  #6
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 22,604
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Zherdev who?
Music to my ears .

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:04 AM
  #7
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Thats a pretty damn good signing at that price and for just one year!

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:10 AM
  #8
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Yeah, another forward. I can't wait to see us line up 5 forwards in the Bombay Winged V formation. Who needs centers. I so want to come back and rag on the Z haters at the end of the season.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:13 AM
  #9
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Don't see how the terms can't be considered great. In an "off" year last year he had 19g and 26a.

More importantly he has a history of having an "off" year followed by a "good" year, and this should be his "good year." Even if not, if he can get you ~20g and ~25a for $1.1 million it's a steal.

He's also versatile and can play LW or center.

He can replace Naslund's production for 1/4 the price and give us greater depth. A move may be coming, and I am concerned he might be at the expense of Anisimov, but the value of the deal can't be ignored. It's a great signing.

Shouldn't ignore the pattern!

2009-2010 - __g __a __p
2008-2009 - 19 26 45
2007-2008 - 33 38 71
2006-2007 - 14 41 55
2005-2006 - 25 55 80
2003-2004 - 19 35 54
2002-2003 - 22 57 79
2001-2002 - 18 37 55
And who is going to feed him? Vinny? I think the signing is ok, would have been better without the Kotalik signing. But expect this to be the year he breaks the pattern. I'm rooting for him to conitnue the pattern and have a good year.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:15 AM
  #10
TrueBlueNorwegian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Norway
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
GREAT signing. This guy brings experience and more offensive power at a very reasonable price.
This guy had great chemistry with Lecavalier and he has proven that he can put up very respectable numbers! As mentioned above he is a bit inconsistent as far as point totals, so lets hope that since he had an off year last year that he will have a great year this year and like his stats show, that very well might be the case.
Welcome to the Rangers Vinnie.

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:19 AM
  #11
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 50
Quote:
And who is going to feed him? Vinny? I think the signing is ok, would have been better without the Kotalik signing. But expect this to be the year he breaks the pattern. I'm rooting for him to conitnue the pattern and have a good year.
Umm... he's more of a playmaker than a sniper... the better question is, who is he going to feed.

Kotalik?
Drury?
Gaborik?
Callahan?

Yeah, he scored 33g two years ago, but assists is where he's racked up the points.

Need to keep in mind he played with a broken down Lecavalier this season (edit: bum shoulder) which may have hindered his assist totals (look at Lecavalier's drop in goals).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:24 AM
  #12
Stifle87
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
this potentially allows the rangers to bring in the heater finally. i expect the rangers to eventually get him.

Stifle87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:32 AM
  #13
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Guess this means..Bye Bye Byers (well not really bye but it sounded good). He'll stay in HFD.

Lisin will now take the 4th line, sorry odd man out.

Proposal also brings a lot of grit to his game, another huge bonus....loves to bang the body and get loose pucks.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:34 AM
  #14
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 50
I don't think some more time in the AHL for Byers is that bad. He did miss practically the entire season last year.

I do think however that he'll be ready for the NHL before the end of this season, so hopefully he does get a chance later in the year.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:35 AM
  #15
KRM
Registered User
 
KRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,031
vCash: 500
I was just about to say **** you Sather, but then I saw the price tag. Did this just happen, Sather made a decent FA signing?

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:37 AM
  #16
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
I was just about to say **** you Sather, but then I saw the price tag. Did this just happen, Sather made a decent FA signing?
i'm still waiting for brooks to say: "whoops, i got the numbers wrong, it's actually $11 million"

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:39 AM
  #17
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifle87 View Post
this potentially allows the rangers to bring in the heater finally. i expect the rangers to eventually get him.

Actually, I figure this buries the possibility of Heatley coming to the Rangers. Prospal probably slots in as the 1st LW, adding a playmaking element to the line. There does seem to be one extra forward in the top 9 -

Prospal/Dubinsky/Gaborik
Higgins/Drury/Kotalik
Avery/Anisimov/Callahan

What happens to Lisin? He's not the type of player who plays on the the 4th line.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:40 AM
  #18
lebear
I have no idea
 
lebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 623
vCash: 500
He had a 4 year / $14mn deal? That's $3.5mn a year. How could he possibly agree to such a drop in salary?

But I'm not complaining, obviously

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:45 AM
  #19
Cermi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerskij View Post
He had a 4 year / $14mn deal? That's $3.5mn a year. How could he possibly agree to such a drop in salary?

But I'm not complaining, obviously
He's still getting money from TBL so he doesn't need so much... And he obviously wanted to play in NHL.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:46 AM
  #20
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifle87 View Post
this potentially allows the rangers to bring in the heater finally. i expect the rangers to eventually get him.
I don't see how this would faciliate a trade for Healtley. The Rangers have 7 top 9 wingers now, with Lisin more then likely the odd man out. The Rangers won't be trading any of their newly acquired players (Higgins/Prospal/Kotalik/Gaborik/Lisin). That leaves Avery and Callahan (They won't get traded either).

Anyone care to take a shot at what the lines might look like?

BTW, in the Dubi contract update thread, I broke down the Rangers salary situation a bit, and it seems going with 12F/7D/2G (And dubi signing at Brooks' reported 700K) the Rangers will have somewhere around $2.5 million in cap space (That's with Voros and Rissmiller in the AHL).

I'll take a shot at the lines:

Prospal - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Higgins - Drury - Kotalik
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Brash - Boyle - Lisin

I put Prospal on the first line because of his playmaking ability. I think he would mesh well with Gaborik.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:47 AM
  #21
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Opens up some interesting possibilities. Depth chart looks good imo. But there will be more turbulence. Why is Dubinsky still not signed?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:47 AM
  #22
lebear
I have no idea
 
lebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cermi View Post
He's still getting money from TBL so he doesn't need so much... And he obviously wanted to play in NHL.
Yeah, I got it now, I wasn't aware of the buy-out. So now we have two players, Avery and Prospal, at a bargain. Perhaps they neutralize the big bad contracts, in terms of player quality/cap hit, at least by a bit

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:47 AM
  #23
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Actually, I figure this buries the possibility of Heatley coming to the Rangers. Prospal probably slots in as the 1st LW, adding a playmaking element to the line. There does seem to be one extra forward in the top 9 -

Prospal/Dubinsky/Gaborik
Higgins/Drury/Kotalik
Avery/Anisimov/Callahan


What happens to Lisin? He's not the type of player who plays on the the 4th line.
Great minds think alike lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:49 AM
  #24
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Opens up some interesting possibilities. Depth chart looks good imo. But there will be more turbulence. Why is Dubinsky still not signed?
See the Dubi contract status thread. There is an update from Brooks. Teams can't come to terms on a long term contract so it looks like Dubi is going to sign a 1 year 700K contract and take it from there.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:53 AM
  #25
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Great minds think alike lol
Obviously...it makes sense...just not sure how Lisin fits into the whole scheme of things...actually, keeping Korpikoski would have made even more sense, since he could play on the 4th line...but, unless there are extended injuries, I'm not sure where Lisin gets his opportunity...still not a fan of the Kotalik signing.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.