HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pelle Lindbergh's Biography and Jersey

Old
08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Pelle31

vCash: 500
I just pre-ordered the book - Pelle Lindbergh - Behind the White Mask. Awesome cover and it is $13.27 Cdn plus shipping. It is a paperback book. The estimated shipping date is September 30, 2009. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for doing the translation Bill.

Pelle31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 07:36 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Does anyone know if this is a book we'll see in stores, or will it be online only?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
flamesfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
At Hockeybuzz.com

Chapter one excerpt: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16336

"The Christmas Death Skate": http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16678
Good read cheers. I have close family connection to Philly and loved the flyers. I remember this news and watching the reports on TV as a kid.

flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Bill_Meltzer

Thanks, guys! I truly appreciate the support.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Does anyone know if this is a book we'll see in stores, or will it be online only?

It will be available in stores too, in the same places in the mid-atlantic region (B+N, Borders, etc) where Keith Jones' book from Middle Atlantic Press has been sold.

Old
08-13-2009, 11:46 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Thanks Bill - I've loved the excerpts and cutting room bits, and I look forward to reading it (and already sent the link to my kids, in case they were looking for an early Christmas gift or something... ). I have a feeling this one will be on the list of must-reads for years to come.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 01:49 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
It will be available in stores too, in the same places in the mid-atlantic region (B+N, Borders, etc) where Keith Jones' book from Middle Atlantic Press has been sold.
Thanks Bill. I live in Central Jersey (evil Devils and Rangers territory) and I was at Borders over the weekend and saw Jonesy's book (if I wasn't reading two others I'd of bought it, once I get another Borders coupon in my email it'll be added). Good to know I won't have to order the thing and wait 2 weeks for it to come in.

Old
08-13-2009, 03:16 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1170
Bill has an update on his Hockey Buzz blog:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Mask/45/22521
Quote:

It gives me great pleasure to announce that the Pelle Lindbergh biography I co-authored with Swedish sportswriter Thomas Tynander is now available for pre-order via Barnes & Noble.

On September 29, Pelle Lindbergh: Behind the White Mask will be released via Middle Atlantic Press and will also be available in area book stores.

Periodically during the season, I will post stories that were cut from the final manuscript. Strictly for reasons of keeping the book to a reasonable length there were a lot of entertaining stories about Pelle that were cut. But many of them are too good (at least in my opinion) not to be retold.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:49 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Bill has an update on his Hockey Buzz blog:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Mask/45/22521
Why would you cut down stories from a book? Printer didn't want to print too many copies? Just seems less reasonable than say, a move that tries to keep it under 2 hours long. It's paper and print, costs probably 1/10 of a penny to print a single page. If it's that big of a deal, print it all and raise the price a tad, Flyers fans would pay for it.

Old
08-16-2009, 11:02 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Why would you cut down stories from a book? Printer didn't want to print too many copies? Just seems less reasonable than say, a move that tries to keep it under 2 hours long. It's paper and print, costs probably 1/10 of a penny to print a single page. If it's that big of a deal, print it all and raise the price a tad, Flyers fans would pay for it.
If Bill's around, he can probably provide a more acceptable response but I would imagine cost has something to do in addition to length, like when movies are edited. Publications are printed in numerations of four or eight, depending on the press, if I am correct.

Old
08-16-2009, 11:57 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I'm sure it's also difficult to figure out where to stop. If there are hundreds of stories, the book could end up being 750 pages and then it is less marketable. I'm glad I wasn't the one to decide which make the book and which don't. I'm just happy Bill will be posting some of the ones that didn't make the cut.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:33 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

how much more do we not know already? is there a story about pelle i havent heard over the past 20 years?

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
how much more do we not know already? is there a story about pelle i havent heard over the past 20 years?
I'd say there's quite a bit of information that few people know about Lindbergh. There's a lot that I learned in reading Thomas Tynander's original version of the book and in re-editing and updating the book. For instance, I hadn't known that he had a prominent speaking role in a Swedish movie. On a more serious note, few people know about what went on with his contract and insurance money after his death or exactly what his family and former teammates went through on a personal level both in the short-term and in the years that followed his death.

Old
08-16-2009, 05:14 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Creepy. Pelle died 19 days before my birth, and the accident took place a half mile from one of my best friend's house.

Old
08-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
If the book was too long -- the original manuscript ran nearly 500 pages-- fewer people would want to read it. As it is, the final version is about 350 pages.

Middle Atlantic Press had an excellent copy editor for this book. I couldn't have made the cuts myself, and she did a good job and was willing to put back anything I absolutely insisted needed to be in the book (such as the story of Lindbergh getting arrested while he played for the Maine Mariners).

Old
08-16-2009, 09:14 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
If the book was too long -- the original manuscript ran nearly 500 pages-- fewer people would want to read it. As it is, the final version is about 350 pages.

Middle Atlantic Press had an excellent copy editor for this book. I couldn't have made the cuts myself, and she did a good job and was willing to put back anything I absolutely insisted needed to be in the book (such as the story of Lindbergh getting arrested while he played for the Maine Mariners).
Totally understandable. Thanks for the response. Is every story that didn't make it going to make it onto the site, or maybe you can release a second book with the additional stories? (I think I'm getting ahead of myself).

Old
09-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Pelle Lindbergh

I pre-ordered it from Amazon, but do you know when it will be in stock ?

Pelle Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:24 PM
FlyerCub

The bookstore where I work got them in this week, so they should be appearing on other store shelves and in warehouses shortly.

FlyerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:36 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Bill Meltzer mentions on his HockeyBuzz column that he is scheduled to appear on WIP (Brian Startare) this Wednesday to discuss the book among other items.

Link to WIP -- www.610wip.com

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-06-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old
10-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Death of a Martian

Went searching for it here in Charlottetown, P.E.I. at the Indigo. No luck, hopefully they'll get it soon.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of a Martian View Post
Went searching for it here in Charlottetown, P.E.I. at the Indigo. No luck, hopefully they'll get it soon.
Unfortunately, the only bookstores that are carrying it are ones in the Philadelphia area and perhaps a few around Portland, Maine. For everyone else, the options are Amazon, the Barnes and Noble website or the Middle Atlantic Press site.

Old
10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle Lindbergh View Post
I pre-ordered it from Amazon, but do you know when it will be in stock ?
Should be in stock by now.

Old
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Just want to say congrats on the book Bill. I will be getting the book hopefully this week. Can't wait to read it. Again, congratulations!

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
What stores around Portland, ME are selling it? I am going to college here. I would love to pick this up.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:56 PM
FlyerCub

Quote:
Unfortunately, the only bookstores that are carrying it are ones in the Philadelphia area and perhaps a few around Portland, Maine. For everyone else, the options are Amazon, the Barnes and Noble website or the Middle Atlantic Press site.
Any B&N store outside the immediate area should also be able to order it to the store (or to home, but that's the same as placing a .com order.)

FlyerCub is offline   Reply With Quote